NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess you weren't an NBA fan before Michael Jordan huh? To me the sport has grown soft, like many things in our society. Clark can handle it. But if you think she can't, maybe you should encourage her to change her vocation.
Those were wrestling matches not basketball.

Reaction Score
I thought Miami would need to shoot far better than their average to win this game. Turns out their average would have been more than good enough!
Wrong game to shoot so poorly. And no, it wasn't due to a tough S.Carolina defense, Miami had plenty of chances to close the gap and plenty of good looks.
Actually, other than a horrendous 2nd quarter when they were "outscored" by 10 they were only down by 6 for the other three quarters. South Carolina is ripe for the picking imo

Reaction Score
Except it isn’t just “a few mid-majors” advancing. Two mid-majors beat two P5 champs. Give them credit. Don’t undermine their hard fought win by saying “9/10” so and so hits that shot. The conversation around P5 bias does in fact need to take place because it effects exposure, seeding, ranking, and more. As Geno already mentioned when bottom P5 schools beat each other everyone says “oh SEE [P5] conference is SO deep. But when non-P5 teams beat on each others it’s just luck and won’t happen 9/10 times?
A few mid-majors advance past the first round and now all of a sudden it’s P5 fawning….I guess we missed FGCU getting blown out today. It was a great game for Creighton, but apparently these teams have scrimmaged often so familiarity helps.

I’m wondering where the “smackdown” took place at. That particular game came down to the last play and 9/10 Czinano hits that shot.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
No one has ever said that about men with physical play. You might have to get used to the new way of playing. Women aren’t the same as we were even 10 years ago; we dunk and everything. Well, not me but you know what I mean.
I certainly have. I stopped watching the Big East men in the 80's because of the physical play. Stopped watching men altogether about ten years later.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A few mid-majors advance past the first round and now all of a sudden it’s P5 fawning….I guess we missed FGCU getting blown out today. It was a great game for Creighton, but apparently these teams have scrimmaged often so familiarity helps.

I’m wondering where the “smackdown” took place at. That particular game came down to the last play and 9/10 Czinano hits that shot.
Wow. The fact that it's touched such a nerve with you to the point where you would make such statements, from the position of an ivory tower p5 homer, only proves my point.

LOL Maryland is a 4 seed playing on home court against a 12 seed. But sure go ahead and make them a banner

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Iowa game happened earlier, but this Baylor game should take some heat off them, gotta be considered a bigger upset.

Have 2 #2 seeds ever lost in the 2nd Round before?

Reaction Score
Time for HOOPS P-6?
Cincinnati, BYU, UCF, and Houston is joining the Big 12 when Texas and Oklahoma leaves. I'm looking for a school to turn down a P5 invite.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Quick someone do a Jordan crying face Baylor meme.

In the meantime I'll be doing another little dance.

carlton gif.gif

More @Plebe gloating in 3.2.1...
Gloating sounds harsh. I call it rejoicing. More spiritual.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Was it me or did the Baylor players seem disinterested in the huddles. Smith was standing outside the time out huddle with her arms behind her back. Just looked odd. Even the announcers mentioned it.

Reaction Score
Dawn needs to hire a coach for the offense. I am tired of seeing that stagnant mess year after year with no screen action.
Dawn needs to get away from the current SEC style instituted when Vic was at Mississippi St.
It's not thrilling to watch football when watching what is supposed to be a basketball game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
But I think the point is like Tara said at the Pac12 tourney, “this isn’t football”. You can be physical, but some teams “physical play” borders on being dangerous. Throwing your body around, lowering shoulders, elbowing, the constant holding and shoving makes it unwatchable at times.
Posts like this remind me of what Geno said several years ago after Tara made similar comments:

Auriemma said: "That's great to hear. Because last time we were here [2010] we probably could have used some helmets. That was one of the more physical games played that year."

Stanford has never been opposed to physical play when it has been helpful.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Topsy turvy seasons for both Collen/Elzy....both had real rough patches by midseason and then seemed to right the ship and ended the season red hot, only to flame out early in the NCAAs. Baylor especially looked dejected and like they just gave up at the end.

Reaction Score
Did I say before the Tourney started that results of conference tourneys don't matter? SEC Champ out in 1st Round and Big 10 Champ out in 2nd Round. Conference tourney results DON'T MATTER.

edit--w/ the caveat, it matters for 1 bid leagues, or bubble teams who play their way in or out
the SEC champ is in the Sweet 16 : )

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Methinks the end of Baylor WBB as we know it is at hand. Smith, Egbo, Lewis & Bickle may all be gone next year. There’s an OK class coming in, but no one to build a team around, and Nicki Cullen is no Kim Mulkey.

Reaction Score
Context. You know exactly what I meant, it was very obvious I was talking about conference Tourneys.

Labeling a team who was as bad this year as Kentucky as the SEC champ was intentional shade, so I'm not sweating it. I added a smiley face.

Reaction Score
Methinks the end of Baylor WBB as we know it is at hand. Smith, Egbo, Lewis & Bickle may all be gone next year. There’s an OK class coming in, but no one to build a team around, and Nicki Cullen is no Kim Mulkey.
There's always transfers.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Labeling a team who was as bad this year as Kentucky as the SEC champ was intentional shade, so I'm not sweating it. I added a smiley face.
I don't like conference tourneys, but conferences call the winning teams "Champs." That's why they get the auto bids. Clearly South Carolina was the best SEC team this year, everybody know that.

And again, it's all about context. My point was that getting hot and winning a conference tourney really doesn't help much in the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
I don't like conference tourneys, but conferences call the winning teams "Champs." That's why they get the auto bids. Clearly South Carolina was the best SEC team this year, everybody know that.

And again, it's all about context. My point was that getting hot and winning a conference tourney really doesn't help much in the Big Dance.

Nah, the SEC calls the regular season winner champ.

It's ok, you knew what you were doing and it doesn't bother me. I smile emoji-Ed.

I agree. Winning conference tournaments is pretty bad way of determining a champ and doesn't often mean much for the tournament when a big long shot wins it. It maybe has for a couple of times.

Worse news for the upset as it tends to show a potential fatal flaw. But not even that most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom