NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There were 2 drives to the bucket w/ a TON of contact and no foul for Iowa in the first quarter. Bluder was about to come unglued it looked like. On one of them the Iowa player got stitches in her chin after the "non foul."
The Big East is very physical, always has been. Caroline Ducharme was whacked in the head, causing her to miss three games, but apparently wasn’t a foul.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The South Carolina-Miami game is taking me back to the 1990s.
Actually that first half took me back to the Stanford/Uconn title game in 2010 half time score Stanford 20 Uconn 12. SC and Miami just squeaked by at 23 - 10. However, it appears that unlike that game halftime did not change the quality of BB being played - SC/Miami will not rack up 100 points in this game.

Reaction Score
Miami - South Carolina wins most boring game in history of NCAA.

Maryland wins at the free throw line.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Big East is very physical, always has been. Caroline Ducharme was whacked in the head, causing her to miss three games, but apparently wasn’t a foul.
I'm not a fan of overly physical play, whichever league it occurs in. There are several teams in the Pac 12 that play a very aggressive style. Particularly galling if a player is injured and yet no foul was deemed to have occurred.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
South Carolina won by 16...while failing to crack 50 points or 30% FG shooting.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Since when is Iowa a Pac-12 team?

Creighton clearly did something right if you were complaining about the refs. Got that box checked early I see.

Big East wins! Haters lose! Another day starts out well.
Czinano got away with an offensive foul before the shot, using her elbow to displace the defender

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of overly physical play, whichever league it occurs in. There are several teams in the Pac 12 that play a very aggressive style. Particularly galling if a player is injured and yet no foul was deemed to have occurred.
No one has ever said that about men with physical play. You might have to get used to the new way of playing. Women aren’t the same as we were even 10 years ago; we dunk and everything. Well, not me but you know what I mean.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So a couple of additional notes for chat here:
1. Known to some but maybe not others is Creighton and Iowa evidently have scrimmaged each other the past few years (you know, those don't tell, don't ask scrimmages that are allowed but off the books). So I think Creighton was well versed in how to play against the dynamic duo of Clark/Czinano.
2. #15 is Lauren Jensen who knocked down the clutch 3 pointer for the win. She was a transfer from Iowa this past year due to a lack of playing time.
3. During his post game comments, Coach Flannery said he chose Lauren for the shot because she could score at all 3 levels, outside, mid-range and up at the rim-which she did all game long.
4. Her post game on-court interview was one of sheer composure, as she was beaming, well-spoken and "In-the-moment".

Way to go Big East- now we need two more victories though, I do worry about what Plebe's blood-pressure may do and how much his fingers might cramp typing so fast and furiously! Just avoid using more than 2 syllable words, my brain can't handle that. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
South Carolina won by 16...while failing to crack 50 points or 30% FG shooting.
SC remains the favorite to win their 2nd championship this year. But should they do so, it’s gonna be ugly.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I know that the mantra is win and move on, but golly, the team that was fawned over for destroying poor Howard, just had 23 points at the half and didn't break 50...WOW!!!!!

Reaction Score
There were 2 drives to the bucket w/ a TON of contact and no foul for Iowa in the first quarter. Bluder was about to come unglued it looked like. On one of them the Iowa player got stitches in her chin after the "non foul."

Clark seemed really frustrated by how physical Creighton was in the opening quarter, and was complaining a lot about not getting any calls. But I feel like so much of her offense is out of rhythm. I think her greatest asset is her court vision.

Creighton hit a shot every time they needed to, even though both teams missed some easy looks down the stretch. A really entertaining game and great win for the big east.

Regarding the physicality, I'm confused as to why Iowa would think this is unusual. IMO, they play in a conference that I consider to be a physical league. They face teams like Rutgers, OSU, Indiana and others several times every year. What am I missing here?

I get teams want the refs to make the right calls, but face it, a lot gets missed good or bad. But again, I don't understand how they aren't used to physical teams considering the conference they're coming out of.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The two games in the books so far today couldn't have gone better.

Creighton delivers yet another smackdown to the arrogance of the p5 fawners. And a short time earlier, my Houston Cougars sent home another Big Ten team.

If only their dirty millions could buy them wins in March.

Again, who are these fawners you are referring to? Creighton's best win before the tournament was South Dakota State. Princeton's was FGCU. Solid teams, but not worldbeaters. And we both know if these teams played 10 times Iowa would win 8/10.

The reason they call it March Madness is because the unpredictable upsets are madness. But the idea that a few upsets proves the deference to P5 teams is unwarranted seems a little farfetched. Stop letting the P5 take up rent free space in your head, friend!

Reaction Score
Again, who are these fawners you are referring to? Creighton's best win before the tournament was South Dakota State. Princeton's was FGCU. Solid teams, but not worldbeaters. And we both know if these teams played 10 times Iowa would win 8/10.

The reason they call it March Madness is because the unpredictable upsets are madness. But the idea that a few upsets proves the deference to P5 teams is unwarranted seems a little farfetched. Stop letting the P5 take up rent free space in your head, friend!

A few mid-majors advance past the first round and now all of a sudden it’s P5 fawning….I guess we missed FGCU getting blown out today. It was a great game for Creighton, but apparently these teams have scrimmaged often so familiarity helps.

I’m wondering where the “smackdown” took place at. That particular game came down to the last play and 9/10 Czinano hits that shot.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Dawn needs to hire a coach for the offense. I am tired of seeing that stagnant mess year after year with no screen action.
Dawn did. She hired Melanie Balcomb as an offensive analytics consultant in 2016 to help overhaul her offense. That I believe, was short lived, and it resulted in the same unimaginative, dump it in offense, although Dawn did recruit guards that could open up the inside with their outside shot. The problem there is her guards are small and can be taken out of the offense. Worse, and I've stated this time and again, Dawn drafts height and athleticism, not shooters or good passers. Now, Raven Johnson is a fine passer, but I've seen no evidence that she's a consistent shooter, and she is not particularly large. Dawn may yet win this year in spite of my criticisms, but if she doesn't these criticisms will persist and add further merit to my argument.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I guess you weren't an NBA fan before Michael Jordan huh? To me the sport has grown soft, like many things in our society. Clark can handle it. But if you think she can't, maybe you should encourage her to change her vocation.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I guess you weren't an NBA fan before Michael Jordan huh? To me the sport has grown soft, like many things in our society. Clark can handle it. But if you think she can't, maybe you should encourage her to change her vocation.
I think we all get your point now. Let’s stick to basketball and stop the taunting

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

The narrative is so prevalent, to the point of inurement, among both UConn and non-UConn fans alike, that I forgive you for not noticing it.

I decline to name names to protect the guilty. But they know who they are.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
SD State scores the first 11 points against Baylor.

Has any #1 overall gotten a weaker half bracket than South Carolina? I can't remember one.

Reaction Score

But I think the point is like Tara said at the Pac12 tourney, “this isn’t football”. You can be physical, but some teams “physical play” borders on being dangerous. Throwing your body around, lowering shoulders, elbowing, the constant holding and shoving makes it unwatchable at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom