NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Posts like this remind me of what Geno said several years ago after Tara made similar comments:

Auriemma said: "That's great to hear. Because last time we were here [2010] we probably could have used some helmets. That was one of the more physical games played that year."

Stanford has never been opposed to physical play when it has been helpful.

I knew Stanford was going to have a pretty good run for a few years when my father complained about Kayla Pedersen "beating up" Rutgers during a game November 2007.

Reaction Score
Wow. The fact that it's touched such a nerve with you to the point where you would make such statements, from the position of an ivory tower p5 homer, only proves my point.

LOL Maryland is a 4 seed playing on home court against a 12 seed. But sure go ahead and make them a banner

Bashing P5 conferences every chance you get doesn’t strengthen your point in the way you think it does. Is it stemming from bitterness since UConn can’t get an ACC or Big 10 invite? When you’re from the outside looking in, I can surely understand the argument.

Upsets happen, this is the first time this many double digit seeds won in the first two rounds. In fact, this is Creighton’s first time EVER winning in the second round. Maybe when upsets of this scale becomes a pattern, then sure maybe we can start saying the P5 aren’t good. Sure, conference tourney champs in P5s are out. But the regular season champ or co-champ in every single P5 except for one is still in play.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I knew Stanford was going to have a pretty good run for a few years when my father complained about Kayla Pedersen "beating up" Rutgers during a game November 2007.
Reminds me of Pat Summitt saying this to the media after Stanford defeated Tennessee in 2007:

"I told Debby [Jennings] that Candace [Parker] isn't coming into the press conference tonight because she's in there a little beat up."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Except it isn’t just “a few mid-majors” advancing. Two mid-majors beat two P5 champs. Give them credit. Don’t undermine their hard fought win by saying “9/10” so and so hits that shot. The conversation around P5 bias does in fact need to take place because it effects exposure, seeding, ranking, and more. As Geno already mentioned when bottom P5 schools beat each other everyone says “oh SEE [P5] conference is SO deep. But when non-P5 teams beat on each others it’s just luck and won’t happen 9/10 times?

Except it has been a few? P5 bias absolutely is a thing and these schools have done great in the tournament, but seedings and rankings are based off bodies of work during the regular season. South Dakota, for example, is absolutely a great team that’s playing their best when it counts. But we can’t ignore their double digit regular season losses to non tourney teams in Northwestern and Texas A&M. Also their blowout loss to South Carolina, and another loss to Oklahoma. Belmont lost in the regular season to Auburn and Georgia Tech, and got blown out by Arkansas. In order to assert “x” conference is overrated, you need to look at consistent results.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati, BYU, UCF, and Houston is joining the Big 12 when Texas and Oklahoma leaves. I'm looking for a school to turn down a P5 invite.
Will the Big 12 still be considered a P-5 conference with them new schools coming in or will it become a "watered down" P-5 conference? ...asking for a Big East fan. ;)

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Cincinnati, BYU, UCF, and Houston is joining the Big 12 when Texas and Oklahoma leaves. I'm looking for a school to turn down a P5 invite.
Is the Big 12 still gonna be considered a P5 conference after Texas and Oklahoma are gone? :p

Reaction Score
Methinks the end of Baylor WBB as we know it is at hand. Smith, Egbo, Lewis & Bickle may all be gone next year. There’s an OK class coming in, but no one to build a team around, and Nicki Cullen is no Kim Mulkey.
The reign of Texas has begun.

Reaction Score
I don't like conference tourneys, but conferences call the winning teams "Champs." That's why they get the auto bids. Clearly South Carolina was the best SEC team this year, everybody know that.

And again, it's all about context. My point was that getting hot and winning a conference tourney really doesn't help much in the Big Dance.

The regular season champion is considered the champion in the SEC. The tournament is the "SEC tournament champion".

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Nah, the SEC calls the regular season winner champ.

It's ok, you knew what you were doing and it doesn't bother me. I smile emoji-Ed.

I agree. Winning conference tournaments is pretty bad way of determining a champ and doesn't often mean much for the tournament when a big long shot wins it. It maybe has for a couple of times.

Worse news for the upset as it tends to show a potential fatal flaw. But not even that most of the time.
Actually, no they don’t consider the “Regular Season Winner” the conference champion. They either “footnote” with the Tournament Champion or it is not listed at all unless you look in the individual year. They use it for the seeding in the conference tournament. Some conferences will give two sets of rings for Reg Season and the Tournament Champ but as many sports don’t have a “regular season title (golf, swimming, tennis, etc) the only champion truly recognized is from the conference championship and is thus sent to the NCAA playoffs.

But I am sure you can will hang a banner for it. Unfortunately the 2022 Tournament will call Kentucky the SEC Winner and SC an “At-Large” bid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, no they don’t consider the “Regular Season Winner” the conference champion. They either “footnote” with the Tournament Champion or it is not listed at all unless you look in the individual year. They use it for the seeding in the conference tournament. Some conferences will give two sets of rings for Reg Season and the Tournament Champ but as many sports don’t have a “regular season title (golf, swimming, tennis, etc) the only champion truly recognized is from the conference championship and is thus sent to the NCAA playoffs.

But I am sure you can will hang a banner for it. Unfortunately the 2022 Tournament will call Kentucky the SEC Winner and SC an “At-Large” bid.
Sc was presented the trophy for winning the SEC before the start of the first game. Absolutely we will hang a banner that says SEC Champs 2022.

Photo by gamecockwbb on March 04, 2022. May be an image of one or more people and people playing sports.

Last edited:

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Pellington did her Aari McDonald impersonation. Reese being back was big for Arizona. They really cranked up the D and started forcing TOs late. For a while they weren't scoring much off of it, but eventually it wore UNLV down.

I was impressed w/ UNLV. Hung in there, just kept coming at Arizona. I imagine Coach La Rocque could be on the move soon if she wants to be.
Lindy is from Las Vegas, where her dad was a much beloved high school basketball coach. So staying there would be pretty tempting unless she gets a huge offer.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Bashing P5 conferences every chance you get doesn’t strengthen your point in the way you think it does. Is it stemming from bitterness since UConn can’t get an ACC or Big 10 invite? When you’re from the outside looking in, I can surely understand the argument.

Upsets happen, this is the first time this many double digit seeds won in the first two rounds. In fact, this is Creighton’s first time EVER winning in the second round. Maybe when upsets of this scale becomes a pattern, then sure maybe we can start saying the P5 aren’t good. Sure, conference tourney champs in P5s are out. But the regular season champ or co-champ in every single P5 except for one is still in play.
tl;dr: two long paragraphs of fawning.

The fact that you and others are so overly invested in arguing this issue is, once again, case in point.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Sc was presented the trophy for winning the SEC before the start of the first game. Absolutely we will hang a banner that says SEC Champs 2022.

Photo by gamecockwbb on March 04, 2022. May be an image of one or more people and people playing sports.
And the 2022 NCAAT and the SEC own website will list the Champion as Kentucky (who lost in the 1st round of the NCAAT!).:D So @nwhoopfan was and is 100% correct.

Reaction Score
tl;dr: two long paragraphs of fawning.

The fact that you and others are so overly invested in arguing this issue is, once again, case in point.

Because it’s only an issue when you’re bitter about not having a seat at the P5 table. Would you care to advocate about BE WBB and “P5 bias” if UConn hadn’t gotten passed over by the ACC again and again? Because I’m sure Geno would be using the same rhetoric as other P5 coaches if UConn was in one. But, I digress.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Will the Big 12 still be considered a P-5 conference with them new schools coming in or will it become a "watered down" P-5 conference? ...asking for a Big East fan. ;)
That question will be answered when one of those schools are in the college football playoffs as Big 12 schools.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Methinks the end of Baylor WBB as we know it is at hand. Smith, Egbo, Lewis & Bickle may all be gone next year. There’s an OK class coming in, but no one to build a team around, and Nicki Cullen is no Kim Mulkey.

Agree. Bickle is back, Smith and Lewis are for sure gone. Not sure what Egbo's doing but I'm guessing she'll declare for the W. Only returnees of note are Sarah Andrews, Ja'Mee Asberry, Caitlin Bickle and Jaden Owens. After today's game, I wouldn't be shocked if Andrews transfers elsewhere.

They also have the #17, #41 and #62 recruits coming in. Collen will need to hit the portal hard but they're likely a middle of the Big 12 type of team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom