NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And the 2022 NCAAT and the SEC own website will list the Champion as Kentucky (who lost in the 1st round of the NCAAT!).:D So @nwhoopfan was and is 100% correct.

This quote here came from the SEC Women's Basketball Media guide page 88

"The tournament was first held in 1980, and originally determined the conference champion. Even after the SEC began a uniform conference schedule in the 1982–83 season, the tournament continued to determine the official conference champion through the 1985 edition. Starting in the 1985–86 season, the SEC began awarding its official conference championship solely to the team(s) with the best regular-season record.[1] This change brought SEC women's basketball in line with men's basketball, in which the SEC has awarded its official conference title based on regular-season record since the 1950–51 season.[2]"

Reaction Score
Actually, no they don’t consider the “Regular Season Winner” the conference champion. They either “footnote” with the Tournament Champion or it is not listed at all unless you look in the individual year. They use it for the seeding in the conference tournament. Some conferences will give two sets of rings for Reg Season and the Tournament Champ but as many sports don’t have a “regular season title (golf, swimming, tennis, etc) the only champion truly recognized is from the conference championship and is thus sent to the NCAA playoffs.

But I am sure you can will hang a banner for it. Unfortunately the 2022 Tournament will call Kentucky the SEC Winner and SC an “At-Large” bid.

Although the SEC began sponsoring women's basketball competition in the 1979–80 season, it was not fully integrated into the conference until the 1982–83 season, which was the first in which each team played the same number of conference games. Also, although this article lists both regular-season and tournament champions, the SEC has officially awarded its conference title based solely on the regular-season standings since the 1985–86 season. From 1980 to 1985, the official SEC champion was the tournament winner, but the tournament now only determines the recipient of the SEC's automatic berth in the NCAA tournament.[7]

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Agree. Bickle is back, Smith and Lewis are for sure gone. Not sure what Egbo's doing but I'm guessing she'll declare for the W. Only returnees of note are Sarah Andrews, Ja'Mee Asberry, Caitlin Bickle and Jaden Owens. After today's game, I wouldn't be shocked if Andrews transfers elsewhere.

They also have the #17, #41 and #62 recruits coming in. Collen will need to hit the portal hard but they're likely a middle of the Big 12 type of team.
Queen Egbo did go through Senior Day festivities. But, in today's post-game presser, Collen stated that Queen still has a decision to make about next season.

Reaction Score
Queen Egbo did go through Senior Day festivities. But, in today's post-game presser, Collen stated that Queen still has a decision to make about next season.
If she needs a new home for a year I know a place….

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
If she needs a new home for a year I know a place….
Some WNBA mock draft I saw a few weeks ago had Queen moving up into the first round, I believe. So, with the 2023 draft being deeper than 2022, she'd be wise to declare for this year.

On the other hand, if she decides she wants to use her COVID season, but decides to enter the transfer portal and play somewhere other than Baylor, LSU would make sense. Texas would also make sense as the story I heard is that Egbo was all set to give Texas a verbal commitment during her official visit back in September 2018, but when Charli Collier switched her commitment from UConn to Texas, Karen Aston had to tell Egbo that Texas no longer had an opening. And, Queen also made an official visit to Miss. State while Vic was in Starkville. So, I'd imagine she'd have options.

Reaction Score
I think Collen is a good offensive coach. She changed Baylor's offensive scheme and they will continue to be good and fun to watch. Not sure about her defense or the intangibles yet.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Whew. One more day of the opening weekend. No men's games tomorrow. Then I can catch my breath for a few days. Some intriguing match ups, but I can probably skip most of them. Will definitely tune in for the Arizona-Carolina night cap.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I will say this.... as bad as the SEC WBB has looked so far..... overrated has been a term bandied about around here.... it's not as bad (not yet at least) as the dumpster fire that SEC MBB has been through the first two rounds. Top 5 Kentucky squad... bounced in the first round by St. Peters... Top 5 TN squad... gone in the second round.... Top 7 Auburn squad.... got dog walked by Miami in the second round. LSU fired their coach and got bounced in the first round. Bama got rocked by ND in the first round. The only surviving squad is Arkansas. The pigs escaped by powerhouses Vermont and New Mexico State. Did I mention that EVERY SINGLE SEC TEAM was the higher seeded squad? That's two 2 seeds... a 3 seed a 4 seed and 2 six seeds.

Don't get me started on the Big 10 men's...

OK... sorry about that tangent... back to WBB.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I will say this.... as bad as the SEC WBB has looked so far..... overrated has been a term bandied about around here.... it's not as bad (not yet at least) as the dumpster fire that SEC MBB has been through the first two rounds. Top 5 Kentucky squad... bounced in the first round by St. Peters... Top 5 TN squad... gone in the second round.... Top 7 Auburn squad.... got dog walked by Miami in the second round. LSU fired their coach and got bounced in the first round. Bama got rocked by ND in the first round. The only surviving squad is Arkansas. The pigs escaped by powerhouses Vermont and New Mexico State. Did I mention that EVERY SINGLE SEC TEAM was the higher seeded squad? That's two 2 seeds... a 3 seed a 4 seed and 2 six seeds.

If not for the home court thing, the SEC women would be right there with the men. LSU definitely would've lost on a neutral court, Tennessee probably would have, and with SC who knows.

Georgia was the only SEC women's team to win a neutral-court game, and then they were destroyed by an Iowa State team that barely beat a 14 seed two days earlier.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Although the SEC began sponsoring women's basketball competition in the 1979–80 season, it was not fully integrated into the conference until the 1982–83 season, which was the first in which each team played the same number of conference games. Also, although this article lists both regular-season and tournament champions, the SEC has officially awarded its conference title based solely on the regular-season standings since the 1985–86 season. From 1980 to 1985, the official SEC champion was the tournament winner, but the tournament now only determines the recipient of the SEC's automatic berth in the NCAA tournament.[7]
I did not realize that. It seems strange.

I did not realize the regular season champion was deemed the league champion.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Except it isn’t just “a few mid-majors” advancing. Two mid-majors beat two P5 champs. Give them credit. Don’t undermine their hard fought win by saying “9/10” so and so hits that shot. The conversation around P5 bias does in fact need to take place because it effects exposure, seeding, ranking, and more. As Geno already mentioned when bottom P5 schools beat each other everyone says “oh SEE [P5] conference is SO deep. But when non-P5 teams beat on each others it’s just luck and won’t happen 9/10 times?
UConn is a mid-major team :cool:

Reaction Score

I'm surprised you haven't considering Duke took care of Mich State. ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Except it has been a few? P5 bias absolutely is a thing and these schools have done great in the tournament, but seedings and rankings are based off bodies of work during the regular season. South Dakota, for example, is absolutely a great team that’s playing their best when it counts. But we can’t ignore their double digit regular season losses to non tourney teams in Northwestern and Texas A&M. Also their blowout loss to South Carolina, and another loss to Oklahoma. Belmont lost in the regular season to Auburn and Georgia Tech, and got blown out by Arkansas. In order to assert “x” conference is overrated, you need to look at consistent results.
The problem with that is that it places too much emphasis on the regular season and not enough on the arc of the team‘s development. For example, Geno uses the regular season to prepare his team for the post-season, playing teams with different styles of play to prepare them for any potential opponent in the tourney. This can cause losses as players learn and adjust but makes them stronger in the long run.

All teams improve during the regular season. Freshmen get experience, teams develop chemistry and gel, and players build up stamina and strength. The teams with the most/best talent can get through the regular season lessons with fewest losses, sure, but does that make them the best teams?

That’s why I think the Quad 1, etc thing is junk. The trajectory of the team over time, not win-loss record, should be emphasized more but that’s too hard to analyze. So, upsets happen because teams like South Dakota got stronger through the season but it wasn’t reflected in the seed. Seeing the upsets does make for a more exciting tourney, though.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Great coaching and/or great talent can land a team in the tournament. Great coaching takes more time to manifest itself and is more likely the reason why a mid-major lands in the tournament.

I do not think there is an overt P-5 bias in the seeding but, as @HuskyNan just stated, the seedings do not properly account for how teams developed throughout the year, which results in a bias favoring talent over coaching, which results in a seeding bias against mid-majors, which results in upsets each year that “expose” the P-5 conferences.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Because it’s only an issue when you’re bitter about not having a seat at the P5 table. Would you care to advocate about BE WBB and “P5 bias” if UConn hadn’t gotten passed over by the ACC again and again? Because I’m sure Geno would be using the same rhetoric as other P5 coaches if UConn was in one. But, I digress.
I my case no the anti P5 bias is not based on UConn, it is based on not giving teams with mediocre conference seasons entry into the tournament. As a real fan of the game I would rather see mid majors get in than p5 bottom feeders.

Reaction Score
does anyone feel there is much to be left desired from watching Louisville? I feel that game should not have been that close. Luckily for them they got the easiest bracket of anyone and probably still make the final 4, but there's no way I can see them beating or even competing vs SC/Stanford.

Reaction Score
The problem with that is that it places too much emphasis on the regular season and not enough on the arc of the team‘s development. For example, Geno uses the regular season to prepare his team for the post-season, playing teams with different styles of play to prepare them for any potential opponent in the tourney. This can cause losses as players learn and adjust but makes them stronger in the long run.

All teams improve during the regular season. Freshmen get experience, teams develop chemistry and gel, and players build up stamina and strength. The teams with the most/best talent can get through the regular season lessons with fewest losses, sure, but does that make them the best teams?

That’s why I think the Quad 1, etc thing is junk. The trajectory of the team over time, not win-loss record, should be emphasized more but that’s too hard to analyze. So, upsets happen because teams like South Dakota got stronger through the season but it wasn’t reflected in the seed. Seeing the upsets does make for a more exciting tourney, though.

Now this I agree with. But sometimes, the committee just gets it wrong. A team like Kentucky got the benefit of the doubt because they beat LSU, Tennessee, and South Carolina consecutively. Should that have carried them to the seed they got? Depends on who you ask. I do think what they did during the regular season should’ve lowered them more, but they legitimately looked like a different team then reverted back to what they showed all regular season. There have been several teams over the years that get boosts for conference tournament play when I’m not sure they should have.

I agree it’s more of a seeding issue. But the way to appropriately analyze that is too difficult and requires a more wholistic approach. I think especially this year with all the injuries and Covid issues it was even harder to analyze. So what’s the solution?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I my case no the anti P5 bias is not based on UConn, it is based on not giving teams with mediocre conference seasons entry into the tournament. As a real fan of the game I would rather see mid majors get in than p5 bottom feeders.

Then those mid-majors need to schedule better. Regardless of how we feel about the metrics, the safest way to get in is to adjust to what’s being currently asked by the committee. South Dakota has been playing South Carolina for years. Belmont and Missouri State have been scheduling tough for years. As a mid-major, you can’t fill your non conference games with Chicago State, Seattle U, and Brown and reasonably think that’ll be enough.

South Carolina played literally every top 10 team because Dawn understood the need to test her team while building undoubtedly the best resume for seeding and tournament entry. If more mid-majors want chances, maybe they should schedule OOC like the Belmont’s of the world.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Then those mid-majors need to schedule better. Regardless of how we feel about the metrics, the safest way to get in is to adjust to what’s being currently asked by the committee. South Dakota has been playing South Carolina for years. Belmont and Missouri State have been scheduling tough for years. As a mid-major, you can’t fill your non conference games with Chicago State, Seattle U, and Brown and reasonably think that’ll be enough.

South Carolina played literally every top 10 team because Dawn understood the need to test her team while building undoubtedly the best resume for seeding and tournament entry. If more mid-majors want chances, maybe they should schedule OOC like the Belmont’s of the world.
Many P5 coaches avoid playing tough mid major teams. And who makes the determination that a team is worthy? Ignore South Carolina for a moment. And Dawn has won how many NCs?

Reaction Score
I did not realize that. It seems strange.

I did not realize the regular season champion was deemed the league champion.
I always thought the ACC way was strange. They recognize a team more for what they did on a weekend than the whole year.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I always thought the ACC way was strange. They recognize a team more for what they did on a weekend than the whole year.
So I take it you also object to crowning the NCAA champion based on performance over the Final Four weekend as opposed to the whole year?

(I suppose that view is at least consistent with Dawn's 2020 Mythical National Championship banner... :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom