NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3 | Page 21 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I like Adia Barnes a lot as a person, but I can't help but be glad to see AZ eliminated from the tournament.

North Carolina played an excellent game. I saw Deja Kelly play in high school, and she is a flat-out winner. Banghart did an excellent job in this game.

Oh and looky there: Are my eyes deceiving me? Did the Big East actually get more teams in the Sweet 16 than the Pac-12? Surely this can't be right.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I like Adia Barnes a lot as a person, but I can't help but be glad to see AZ eliminated from the tournament.

North Carolina played an excellent game. I saw Deja Kelly play in high school, and she is a flat-out winner. Banghart did an excellent job in this game.

Oh and looky there: Are my eyes deceiving me? Did the Big East actually get more teams in the Sweet 16 than the Pac-12? Surely this can't be right.
Do you still think the ACC was over-rated?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I watched North Carolina several times this year. I thought they had plenty of potential. Could probably use more size in the post, but they have a nice collection of players.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Do you still think the ACC was over-rated?
Really? It's not enough that I've gushed praise for both NC State and UNC? Aren't you just getting a little bit greedy?

Don't make me trot out the credentials of those oft-forgotten ACC exemplars like Virginia, Clemson, Pitt, Duke, et al.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well - second weekend is missing two 2 seeds, two 4 seeds, and one 3 seed. Missing are:
2 Big12 teams Baylor and Oklahoma
1 Pac team Arizona
1 SEC team LSU
1 Big10 team Iowa

The teams making waves are:
2 ACC teams ND and UNC
1 BE team Creighton
1 Big 10 team Ohio State
1 Summit team South Dakota

So based on seeding, the ACC gets bragging rights and the Big 12 gets the raspberry.

Good weekend of really competitive games

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So...Coach McGuff is often criticized for not being much of a coach. But this year he took a team without a whole lot in the way of expectations, won a share of the Big 10 regular season championship, and got to the Sweet 16. Not bad.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So...Coach McGuff is often criticized for not being much of a coach. But this year he took a team without a whole lot in the way of expectations, won a share of the Big 10 regular season championship, and got to the Sweet 16. Not bad.
He's done a better job without the Mitchells in the picture. OSU is a solid team this year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
After all this ripping up of SC for their lack of offense, they looked better than any other top 3 seed right now aside from Stanford/NC State:

1 seeds:
Louisville-9 point win over Gonzaga

2 seeds:
UCONN-barely beat UCF, likely lose if UCF hits their free throws
Texas-struggled vs. Fairfield in Rd 1
Baylor-lost by 14 to South Dakota
Iowa-lost by 1 to Creighton

3 seeds:
Indiana-barely beat Princeton at home
Michigan-competitive game vs. Villanova until the 4th
Iowa State-almost lose at home to UT-Arlington
LSU-blown out at home by Ohio State

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Really? It's not enough that I've gushed praise for both NC State and UNC? Aren't you just getting a little bit greedy?

Don't make me trot out the credentials of those oft-forgotten ACC exemplars like Virginia, Clemson, Pitt, Duke, et al.

Hey hey hey.... you could have stopped at Pitt

hm.gif

Plebe

Reaction Score
I hope she can recruit some players who can shoot and Arizona can try to win games with offense instead of just making it ugly with defense.
Well, I suppose it's all relative. Compared to the UCF team I just watched, Arizona is a finesse team.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I hope she can recruit some players who can shoot and Arizona can try to win games with offense instead of just making it ugly with defense.
Taylor Chavez was a career 41% 3pt shooter before transferring to Arizona.

Reaction Score
I watched North Carolina several times this year. I thought they had plenty of potential. Could probably use more size in the post, but they have a nice collection of players.
Teonni Key (Tamari's younger sister) tore her ACL prior to the season starting. She's a lot more agile than her sister too I believe. There was a lot of buzz about her before her injury.

Reaction Score
I'm more upset with Iowa losing than with Arizona losing. Gonna be lots of fun seeing all the sad tarheel fans leaving the coliseum on Friday night.
I hope that's true! It will be a great tournament - that's for sure (as long as SC is winning). If our defense is as dialed in as it was against Miami I think we will be ok. We will have the height advantage for sure in this one but for us to get much further in this tournament we need some offense.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I guess we saw what a difference not having a player like Ari McDonald makes . . .

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
North Carolina seemed to be NET Top 10 most of the season, but the committee never included them in the Top 16 in any of their 3 reveals, even after they'd beaten a top seed like Louisville. I guess some of their other numbers didn't impress the committee.

Conversely, the committee just seemed to love Oklahoma even though they were never ranked in NET Top 20, IIRC. Charlie Creme would point out that OU had several NET Top 25 wins (or something to that effect).

So, seems like UNC and OU were some of the more confusing non-hosts / hosts as it turned out.

Arizona seemed to do everything in its power down the stretch to have the committee push them out of hosting; but, the committee kept them in (probably because of their early season win over Louisville).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last night was a good evening for games. UT did what they had to do and will move on. I never actually thought UConn was going to lose but UCF made it a tight game and while I'm not a fan of their "style", it was still a close and competitive one that makes this time of year special.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is so hot and cold but very talented.
Even with some puzzling losses to Duke, Boston College, and Florida State, ND had that look of a Sweet 16 team all season long. Creme said it awhile back after the NCST win - the Irish’s ceiling is pretty high; they’re just inconsistent in their performance.

Plebe

Reaction Score
North Carolina seemed to be NET Top 10 most of the season, but the committee never included them in the Top 16 in any of their 3 reveals, even after they'd beaten a top seed like Louisville. I guess some of their other numbers didn't impress the committee.

Conversely, the committee just seemed to love Oklahoma even though they were never ranked in NET Top 20, IIRC. Charlie Creme would point out that OU had several NET Top 25 wins (or something to that effect).

So, seems like UNC and OU were some of the more confusing non-hosts / host as it turned out.

Arizona seemed to do everything in its power down the stretch to have the committee push them out of hosting; but, the committee kept them in (probably because of their early season win over Louisville).
An exercise in retrospective sophistry.

The NET also had BYU in the top 10. Funny how I don't see you arguing in retrospect that the committee should've made them a top 16 seed.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Even with some puzzling losses to Duke, Boston College, and Florida State, ND had that look of a Sweet 16 team all season long. Creme said it awhile back after the NCST win - the Irish’s ceiling is pretty high; they’re just inconsistent in their performance.
No doubt, that game last night was the best, and most complete, performance by the Fighting Irish all season. I hope they got it out of their system before Saturday!

It should be a good game. In the only regular-season meeting between the teams, neither team shot very well; the game was on a Tuesday, both teams had played Sunday...with NC State having to travel to South Bend. Early foul trouble by Cunane allowed Dodson to have her way in the post, and the Wolfpack Women didn't help their cause by being careless with the ball. Still, we only lost by 3 and had two shots to tie the game in the waning seconds.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
An exercise in retrospective sophistry.

The NET also had BYU in the top 10. Funny how I don't see you arguing in retrospect that the committee should've made them a top 16 seed.
I didn't realize it was my responsibility to "argue" on behalf of every team. Last time I checked, this was a message board designed to share opinions.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I didn't realize it was my responsibility to "argue" on behalf of every team. Last time I checked, this was a message board designed to share opinions.
Right, you share yours and I'm sharing mine. That's how this works.

The point is that no one would rationally argue that BYU was under-seeded after they lost in the first round to a lower seed. It's easy to play the post-upset game of "The seedings were all wrong!" The NET proves nothing in either direction.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Right, you share yours and I'm sharing mine. That's how this works.

The point is that no one would rationally argue that BYU was under-seeded after they lost in the first round to a lower seed. It's easy to play the post-upset game of "The seedings were all wrong!" The NET proves nothing in either direction.
And, I've never mentioned BYU as I don't follow their program to have an opinion one way or another. So, I have nothing to say about them. You brought up BYU, so I'll let you "argue" with yourself about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom