NCAA: Committee on Infractions could not conclude UNC violated NCAA rules | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NCAA: Committee on Infractions could not conclude UNC violated NCAA rules

Reaction Score
I am wondering if the Duke pukes are losing their minds over this like so many Husky fans are or..... are they content to just sweep this one under the rug because it may reflect poorly on the conference. Would be interesting to see how others in the ACC weigh in on this.

Can only imagine it's a ton worst considering the head-to-head meeting within the league for games, recruiting, titles etc etc.. Hell even Boeheim deserved less then, relatively speaking to this crap. This would only be afforded as an outcome to UNC or Duke I am sure, others would get something.

Reaction Score
Ultimately a great month for the NCAA.

1) The FBI finds out some major schools are partnering with sneaker companies to gain advantage on recruiting - the NCAA plays Sargent Schultz.

2) The NCAA looks into obvious academic fraud at UNC which involves football and basketball players - the NCAA plays the Sargent Schultz card yet again.

Damn they're good.

Reaction Score
This plus the Adidas scandal should be the death knell of the NCAA, but it won't be.

Reaction Score
The NCAA as a governing body...IS A COMPLETE JOKE. Zero. and I mean zero, credibility.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Hate to say I told y'all so.... Smh

As pissed as we are as a fan base, you know Cuse is steaming too, compared to today's UNC findings, the ncaa literally bent us and cuse over a chair, penetrated, and in conclusion told us to "like it"

Personally, I'm a stubborn a~hole, but I vow to not watch one ncaa game that doesn't involve Uconn. Not sure if that would make any difference at all, but hopefully it'll make me feel better in the end. F'em

C

Chief00

I know some of you are tired to hear this but another Chief prediction comes true - But, even Chief thought they would get a slap on the wrist - not even that!

Money talks and they were not screwing up their TV ratings.

What a joke APR is , just have fake classes, pass everyone including a few non athletes and you are all set.

The UNC Administration has lost all academic integrity and of course Mark Emmert has never had any!

Time for Susan to step up to the plate - when do fake classes start at UConn? It might also solve the budget problem!

Reaction Score
Can't wait until UNC turns around and sues the NCAA for ruining their academic reputation as a result of the indictments and delays.

Where's Dick Blumenthal when you need him?

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I get that, but as a school, you still have to worry about accreditation issues. UNC skated, but it's not worth the bad PR, never mind the overall scholastic risk.
What they risked here was the accreditation of the program (African and Afro-American Studies) not the entire department (Humanities?) or school, college, or university. It's a pretty slick move when you think about. It's difficult to punish an entire school, college, or university just because one rogue professor chose to be lazy. (And usually big universities have that stratified academic structure, where a program is part of a department, in a school, in turn member of a college, with the university as the umbrella organization. That way accreditation can flow down, and if one item at the bottom fails, then it does not impact other programs or departments.)
Of course everyone believes that this was not the case, that the rogue professor was likely acting on the behest of others, but proving that little item means breaching the Chinese walls that were erected to protect everyone around the activity. Apparently these barriers were well constructed and maintained.
Now if some nice group of people with subpoena power are willing to wander in and take a look, things will change drastically, But as we all know (not just believe) that will not happen.
UNC really should field a ice hockey team. With their skating skills, they will be able to get to the Frozen Four every year.

Reaction Score
Anyone else hitting refresh on The Courant waiting for Jeff Jacobs to write an article about this??

JJ pretty underrated voice.... hes like that belligerent uncle. People get sensitive when he takes a shot at our squad... but hes first to step up and defend CT and State U in situations like this

C

Chief00

Wait wait wait, this literally makes no sense.

Doesn't the players GPA contribute to the APR? If the students were taking fraudulent classes that boosted their GPA, doesn't that mean they are reporting a fraudulent APR?

And what's worse, a low APR or a fake APR?

Am I missing something here?

What an absolute load of horse****. Actually.

You forget this is UNC.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
329 Students cited by the study as benefiting from the fake classes.
169 were Student athletes.

51.4% of the cited population were athletes. Primarily football 123. Men's Basketball 15 and Womens basketball 8. Those three athletics programs represented 44% of the student population in fraudulent classes.

30,000 students are enrolled at UNC. 85 is the roster limit for football players. Let's say mens and womens basketball is another 30.

115 / 30,000 = .38% of the student population.

That's all the evidence you need to conclude the benefit fundamentally existed to benefit those programs.

Edit - the figures above are the students whose GPA was saved above 2.0 based on the classes. The actual # of students was over 3,000 and the % who were athletes was 47%. Same conclusion.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Just think a couple week’s ago some CT people were worried the Blaze recruiting strategy went too far! Are you kidding me.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
329 Students cited by the study as benefiting from the fake classes.
169 were Student athletes.

51.4% of the cited population were athletes. Primarily football 123. Men's Basketball 15 and Womens basketball 8. Those three athletics programs represented 44% of the student population in fraudulent classes.

30,000 students are enrolled at UNC. 85 is the roster limit for football players. Let's say mens and womens basketball is another 30.

115 / 30,000 = .38% of the student population.

That's all the evidence you need to conclude the benefit fundamentally existed to benefit those programs.

Edit - the figures above are the students whose GPA was saved above 2.0 based on the classes. The actual # of students was over 3,000 and the % who were athletes was 47%. Same conclusion.

Clearly, this trial was a travesty of a mockery of a sham ...

pj

Reaction Score
My thoughts:
1. I'll double down on this: NCAA announcing UNC penalties on Friday. I'm willing to bet that the release planned for last Friday contained penalties. UNC successfully changed the NCAA's mind.
2. The logic that changed their mind: (a) The NCAA has approved or tolerates a wide range of benefits for athletes, such as luxurious "athlete dormitories", so long as a small number of selected non-athletes get the same benefits. See e.g. Upscale housing is the latest weapon in college athletic recruiting arms race. (b) UNC probably threatened a suit for double standards that would have forced the NCAA to either relent on punishing UNC or to punish all the SEC etc. football programs and top basketball programs (Kentucky, Kansas) for the housing benefits, and other benefits handed out in an athlete-preferential fashion.

But, now that the recipe for cheating is established -- give extravagant benefits to athletes, and let selected undergrads also obtain those benefits -- there is virtually no limit to how much favoritism and provision of benefits to athletes can go on. You just have to set aside a 50% tax for the other students.

And if universities can openly bribe athletes with such benefits, then their benefits will no longer be against the law, so no FBI investigations either.

Effectively, we are seeing another step in the professionalization of college sports. And with de facto bidding wars for players, the high revenue teams in the B1G, SEC, and ACC will dominate college athletics.

Reaction Score
I know some of you are tired to hear this but another Chief prediction comes true - But, even Chief thought they would get a slap on the wrist - not even that!

Money talks and they were not screwing up their TV ratings.

What a joke APR is , just have fake classes, pass everyone including a few non athletes and you are all set.

The UNC Administration has lost all academic integrity and of course Mark Emmert has never had any!

Time for Susan to step up to the plate - when do fake classes start at UConn? It might also solve the budget problem!
Chief, you’re right the NCAA is not going to mess with the ACC on the networks and had we had fake courses no APR would have gone down. I believe there are a lot of schools that have well known courses that are one step above the NC ones. NC just took it to the ultimate. Still it’s shocking to see the disparity of punishment.

Reaction Score
Are we shocked? Every program that has been labeled dirty or given the tag "lack of institutional control", has to be pissed off right now.

Reaction Score
Hate to say I told y'all so.... Smh

As pissed as we are as a fan base, you know Cuse is steaming too, compared to today's UNC findings, the ncaa literally bent us and cuse over a chair, penetrated, and in conclusion told us to "like it"

Personally, I'm a stubborn a~hole, but I vow to not watch one ncaa game that doesn't involve Uconn. Not sure if that would make any difference at all, but hopefully it'll make me feel better in the end. F'em

Cuse got to choose it's one year ban the very same year, when they sucked. And no recruits left because they were immediately eligible the next year.

Reaction Score
Well I guess everyone can make up fake classes now for the best recruits. Susan, you are on notice. Get er done.

Reaction Score
Exactly, they just gave everybody an eligibility blueprint.
THE CAROLINA WAY

Side note: someone with editing software and skills, I think it's time we get a Ricitas video on this disgrace. Or even a Hitler video. Something.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The buzzer-beating cooperation of former AFAM department secretary Debbie Crowder, who declined to speak to the NCAA for roughly three years produced this information, as Sankey said: “She eventually, credibly, explained to us that she provided a consistent level of assistance to all students.”

MOney-Bag1.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom