NCAA: Committee on Infractions could not conclude UNC violated NCAA rules | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NCAA: Committee on Infractions could not conclude UNC violated NCAA rules

Reaction Score
I must be missing something big because the main thing I still don't get is this:

We hear that this case centered around an impermissible benefits case: that the NCAA had to prove that athletes got benefits beyond those granted to normal students.

Why was only this side of it the fulcrum of the ruling? Why is it not an issue of fielding players who in hindsight (and we know the NCAA doesn't have a problem retroactive [double jeopardy] punishment) should have been ineligible for sumbitting grades for invalid courses for the sake of remaining eligible? Why didn't testimony that UNC funneled athletes through the department which is at the center of the scandal play a factor?

C

Chief00

Chief, you’re right the NCAA is not going to mess with the ACC on the networks and had we had fake courses no APR would have gone down. I believe there are a lot of schools that have well known courses that are one step above the NC ones. NC just took it to the ultimate. Still it’s shocking to see the disparity of punishment.

Agreed. It’s amazing how critical/apologetic some UConn fans are for what Jim did - and we can see better than ever it was small potatoes. A knee operation for Nate, a poor kid who had no other alternative. Jim focusing on winning rather than academics - which was Jeff Hathaway’s responsibility to manage.

Reaction Score

Wow so through that article I learn that the NCAA defers to each individual school's potentially unique definition of "academic fraud". Forgive me if I've somehow missed that in all this.

What an absolute disgrace

All those who said they are done with non-UConn college sports, allow me to join you. As much as I would love to watch Cuse get pounded in to the dirt for 60 minutes, the NCAA is just unforgivable. I wonder if I'll watch the tournament

Reaction Score
I know some of you are tired to hear this but another Chief prediction comes true - But, even Chief thought they would get a slap on the wrist - not even that!

Money talks and they were not screwing up their TV ratings.

What a joke APR is , just have fake classes, pass everyone including a few non athletes and you are all set.

The UNC Administration has lost all academic integrity and of course Mark Emmert has never had any!

Time for Susan to step up to the plate - when do fake classes start at UConn? It might also solve the budget problem!
Unlike

Reaction Score
Yes, it was actually advisers and tutors. And the coaches discussed the fakeness of the course with them. And you're right, the concerns were tamped down by the AD.

Hey, they fired the professor, right? And for what? Because everything was kosher?
Based on a few of the ardent UNC defenders on the Boneyard (UNC-affiliated or just deaf, dumb and blind?), UNC coaches, athletic department leaders, and UNC administrators alike, everything in Chapel Hill may have been almost as kosher as at Penn State, Baylor, Louisville ...

Reaction Score
The NCAA could have easily skirted around the "it was only an academic issue", and could have also saved face for the crazy APR rules if the made they stated the following:

The fraudulent UNC coursework has invalidated the APR scores submitted for the years 20?? to 20??. The inability of UNC to have coursework that leads to meaningful academic progress toward graduation is a stain on the meaning of student athleticism. Due to the reporting of APR scores based on questionable academic requirements, UNC will........(fill in the penalties)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The NCAA could have easily skirted around the "it was only an academic issue", and could have also saved face for the crazy APR rules if the made they stated the following:

The fraudulent UNC coursework has invalidated the APR scores submitted for the years 20?? to 20??. The inability of UNC to have coursework that leads to meaningful academic progress toward graduation is a stain on the meaning of student athleticism. Due to the reporting of APR scores based on questionable academic requirements, UNC will...(fill in the penalties)

Bless your heart, imagining that the NCAA could even pretend to care about the APR when one of their favorites is involved.

pj

Reaction Score

The fraudulent UNC coursework has invalidated the APR scores submitted for the years 20?? to 20??. The inability of UNC to have coursework that leads to meaningful academic progress toward graduation is a stain on the meaning of student athleticism. Due to the reporting of APR scores based on questionable academic requirements, UNC will...(fill in the penalties)

They can't retroactively change the rules for calculating APR, unless they know the target is a pushover who won't resist, as UConn was.

Reaction Score
329 Students cited by the study as benefiting from the fake classes.
169 were Student athletes.

51.4% of the cited population were athletes. Primarily football 123. Men's Basketball 15 and Womens basketball 8. Those three athletics programs represented 44% of the student population in fraudulent classes.

30,000 students are enrolled at UNC. 85 is the roster limit for football players. Let's say mens and womens basketball is another 30.

115 / 30,000 = .38% of the student population.

That's all the evidence you need to conclude the benefit fundamentally existed to benefit those programs.

Edit - the figures above are the students whose GPA was saved above 2.0 based on the classes. The actual # of students was over 3,000 and the % who were athletes was 47%. Same conclusion.

post of the year ! come on mainstream media pick it up! yes you cowards ! maybe on fox or pbs huh??

Reaction Score
329 Students cited by the study as benefiting from the fake classes.
169 were Student athletes.

51.4% of the cited population were athletes. Primarily football 123. Men's Basketball 15 and Womens basketball 8. Those three athletics programs represented 44% of the student population in fraudulent classes.

30,000 students are enrolled at UNC. 85 is the roster limit for football players. Let's say mens and womens basketball is another 30.

115 / 30,000 = .38% of the student population.

That's all the evidence you need to conclude the benefit fundamentally existed to benefit those programs.

Edit - the figures above are the students whose GPA was saved above 2.0 based on the classes. The actual # of students was over 3,000 and the % who were athletes was 47%. Same conclusion.

Post that on

North Carolina Tar Heels UNC Basketball

or better yet: nc state's board

Reaction Score
Am i mad, Yes, but this is not unexpected. To keep it in context (and I'm sure someone has already posted) our sanctions from the APR situation and what the NCAA had on the books and how they retroactively imposed stricter sanctions? But can they summarize it in a post?

edit Wow UNC has a lot of power, and by the way who voted for Mark Emmert and how can he be thrown out (if not imprisoned)?

Reaction Score

But that would have been worse than the death penalty.

There are 15 players overall. Just one player who scores a zero (0 out of 4 points) on your APR is a catastrophe. Could have been a 5 year APR ban! LOL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom