NCAA: Committee on Infractions could not conclude UNC violated NCAA rules | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA: Committee on Infractions could not conclude UNC violated NCAA rules

Reaction Score
I am actually speechless to find the correct swear words which depict the proper outrage. The NCAA finds violations in ridiculous things like Geno setting up an ESPN Tour for Maya Moore, that was frequently offered to the public, and turns around and blesses sham courses to keep athletes eligible, where being a student athlete is supposedly the core of the NCAA's self righteous purity. And in the same breath, the head of this swamp has the balls to organize a commission..... Begs the question why North Carolina would not have wanted this release last week. Clearly the NCAA wanted to get their commission established before the release so they could pretend ....

Like a famous women often said;

NEVERMIND
It's called corruption, they make DC look like a bastion of integrity.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
look-the-cat-can-drive.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says: "What the duck____? Oh that's it. Google give me directions to the NCAA headquarters."

Reaction Score
Greenburg apparently agrees with NCAA too. What a world we live in today that Greenburg is a major ESPN mens basketball figure. That's how pathetic ESPN college ball coverage has become.

Reaction Score
I thought that if North Carolina had players that were kept academically eligible by taking completely fake courses, where the players did zero and got A’s, the school would be punished and punished severely. Every one of the players who were in a course should have their grade changed to F, their GPA’s recalculated, and only then should decisions on sanctions and penalties be made. If we find out that players on the National Championship team were involved, then that title must be vacated. Unbelievable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Utterly amazing.

Don't call it an extra benefit. Call it academic fraud.

They're just so bad at this.
Do you really think that obvious analysis escaped them in favor of a much more tortured, 'well you can commit academic fraud so long as it is a benefit available to every student?'

They aren't bad; they are corrupt.

Reaction Score
I thought that if North Carolina had players that were kept academically eligible by taking completely fake courses, where the players did zero and got A’s, the school would be punished and punished severely. Every one of the players who were in a course should have their grade changed to F, their GPA’s recalculated, and only then should decisions on sanctions and penalties be made. If we find out that players on the National Championship team were involved, then that title must be vacated. Unbelievable.
You can't do that unless you're willing to do it for all students. That's the slippery slope UNC is trying to stay away from because it would immediately invalidate hundreds or even thousands of diplomas.

Reaction Score
You can't do that unless you're willing to do it for all students. That's the slippery slope UNC is trying to stay away from because it would immediately invalidate hundreds or even thousands of diplomas.

Schools have done it before. Invalidated diplomas based on evidence uncovered after the fact (like plagiary). In this case, they would be sued because it is a professor.

Nonetheless, I can't see why it would invalidate diplomas (how would applying the correct F to the APR calculation apply to diplomas?)? I don't think it would, unless you change to an F on the official transcript.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They're bad at a lot of things, I would say they are pretty damn good at corruption.

This is just brutal incompetence.

They spent four years pursuing an avenue that they decided in the last weeks they had no jurisdiction over.

That is incompetence.

Call it what it was - academic fraud. Declare the players ineligible.

This is amazing.

Reaction Score
UConn should be filing suit against the NCAA today for the APR horsesh..

Maybe we need a separate thread for this. Statements and decisions made by the NCAA at that time would seem to be completely undermined by this ruling. It really looks like a vendetta was being played out by Emmert. Reviewing our options for legal redress seems warranted at this time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Part of the problem is that there was a tutor tha fed the media beast for several years. She claimed she did academic research and found football players were writing at 4th-grade levels and that four-line paragraphs were turned in as final essays. She was the beating heart of the outrage. Turned out she was making up her work while also pushing a business venture and a book deal. No one who investigated could find anything approximating what she was sharing, and she dropped off the radar even while the media narrative she framed stayed intact.

Unable to find evidence for her allegations, the NCAA was left trying to decide if the -Am department was substandard academically, something they are wholesale unqualified for. Opting to skip the part where they decide to tell a university how to be a university, they had the impermissible benefit card. Which is a huge card (UNC once got dinged when a player spent two nights on a couch). But it also is a difficult one to pull off when you ignored similar cases at Michigan and Auburn. Incidentally the NCAA allows athletic departments to run college credit courses available only to athletes. Walking that tightrope between those two mine fields would have been possible but also could have been appealed and litigated. I'm assuming the NCAA wants to save its war chest for AAU-maggedon.

Reaction Score
This is just brutal incompetence.

They spent four years pursuing an avenue that they decided in the last weeks they had no jurisdiction over.

That is incompetence.

This is amazing.
The minute the SEC Commissioner entered the investigative mix I knew UNC was free and clear. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Reaction Score
Yep, that simple academic fraud that should result in suspension of charter, retroactive NCAA penalties & current loss of scholarships, postseason eligibility etc.. Except any and all of that cost the NCAA money & hurt NCAA reputation (future monies) so hocus-pocus, abracadabra, nothing.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how it isn't a problem that kids were basically getting credit for doing nothing of any sort, simply because non-athletes were able to use the same cheat code.

I understand how a point of investigation was to see if athletes were getting benefits of being athletes, but isn't the fact that kids were getting credits for doing nothing for over a decade kind of an issue?

Reaction Score
This looks bad for the NCAA in its ongoing antitrust lawsuits. The suits allege that "amateurism" is a sham excuse for an illegal conspiracy to not pay players. The NCAA's decision today to call fake classes a "benefit" is . . . not helpful.

Shorter NCAA: Student-athletes should be grateful. They get an education!

NCAA today: And if they're REALLY lucky, they don't get an education!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With all the other horseshit going on in Washington, we might as well have Congress start an inquiry into the NCAA too. They looked into steroid use in MLB, so why not this corrupt clown show that is the NCAA?

Reaction Score
The funniest thing is for days we were all joking about what the ridiculous penalties we were all certain they would hit NC with, like losing 2 walk-on scholarships or suspending Roy Williams for an exhibition game vs. the Little Sisters of the Poor - and as ludicrous and ridiculous as they were they didn't they didn't even get that or even a stern warning. All the rest of get is, "it's wrapped up, move on folks, nothing to see here farce". It's a horse race between some of the media and the NCAA for the least amount of credibility in the country right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom