NC St Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NC St Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They played like, well, UCONN today and it was an absolute pleasure to watch.

Aubrey was a one woman wrecking crew in the beginning of the game with 4 steals before you could blink. 16 points, 6 rebounds, and 6 steals is quite the day, not to mention her deflections and general disruptive influence. Plus, she is improving every game!

Aaliyah played within herself and under control. 20 points, 12 boards and 4 assists is a big time game. She was smart and focused and solid on defense.

Nika. A new assist record. Tremendous defense as well. Just a threat to make the perfect pass every single time she is out in front on the break.

Ayanna- Of everyone, her performance was perhaps the most important to me. With Dorka out, she had to play smart, do her job, and stay on the floor. In 11 minutes she had 5 boards, an assist, a block and a steal and made her presence felt as a reliable substitution underneath. A workmanlike role player today. That's all we needed.

Azzi- What can you say? One of the only sensible comments made by the announcers today was that she is probably the best player in the country right now. 32 the easy way if that's possible. What a stroke.

Lou- We were waiting for it. I hope the nerves, jitters, or what ever they have been in the past are gone now. She had a great second half and showed everyone what she can do. A little better choice on shots sometimes but overall a dominating performance once she got it going.

Caroline- I feel badly for her because she is struggling. It's just the timing and wind thing right now and it reminds me of how she started last year. She will have it back soon and that gives us another multi dimensional scorer.

Amari and Ines- Only a minute playing time. Sounds like they both need to work super hard in practice.

As a team, great chemistry, textbook fast breaks, solid defense to start the third quarter which just broke it open when combined with our scoring, unselfishness to the point of magnificence, and another top 10 win.
Lou - she came to UConn from Fairfield and isn’t used to playing Top 10 teams regularly. She needed a half to adjust to the speed and physicality. She’ll continue learning on her road to becoming a viable pro

Caroline - appeared to me to be moving gingerly as though she’s sore or afraid of getting hit. More practices should help

Amari and Ines - simply aren’t ready to have expectations against a team the caliber of NC State put upon them yet.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I could see something going on after the National Anthem on the court but it wasn`t clear what it was until it became clear. It was very scary. The players ran off the court and most of them were crying. It crossed my mind that they might call the game. There was a ten minute delay so the players came out and got more shots up. But everything felt uneasy given our worries about Chris Dailey.

Driving home I listened to Bob Joyce interviewing Morgan Valley (he usually interviews Chris Dailey) and Morgan was very reassuring about the health of Chris. Thank God.

With Dorka out and all that going on, it would have been understandable for UConn to come out flat. But Aubrey was in the starting lineup for the first time in forever and she was not about to let that happen as she led the charge to a 9-0 opening lead. It is great to see her out there playing at such a high level. It was NC State that looked flat.

This was a TEAM effort. Everyone did what they do best.

Lou had a crazy game. She looked like she didn`t belong to be out there in the first half, and then she goes off for 20 in the second. She just keeps playing. I was happy to see her continue to let it fly.

A few words about my fav, Nika. First, in recent years I have observed UConn guards having struggles getting the ball into the post. Tonight, Nika made a number of perfect interior passes into the post with Aaliyah - great angles and placement. Aaliyah did her part as well, solid post ups. But where Nika really shines is in the open court. I try to watch closely and try to see what she is seeing, and she is always looking, while moving forward left or right, setting things up so that when she finally delivers the pass the player will be open. Very intuitive, great feel. Her pass at the end of the first half to Edwards is not one that very many players could make, and it got us up 7.

She had 15 assists but there were also occasions where she got the ball to teammates in perfect position and they were fouled while shooting. So that 15 could have easily been 17 or 18.

I thought Aaliyah played incredibly well. She outplayed the bigs on NC State by a wide margin. And they are big. River Baldwin is massive. Aaliyah still commits some bad fouls and with Dorka out for a while, we need her to stop doing that so she can stay on the floor. We need her more than ever.

NC State has a lot of talent but we were playing much harder. They didn`t seem to push the ball on offense and on the defensive end, there was virtually no pressure on the ball. We seemed to get where we wanted to get and had plenty of open shots, both inside and outside. We had 13 steals to 3 for them and they only had 9 assists to our 22. Both testament to how we were far more active.

I also thought we finished around the rim better than we had in our previous two games.

Prayers up for Chris, and onto Oregon.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe either Stanford or So Carolina will drop below 2 no matter who wins
Unless it's a very lopsided game ... that might change the equation

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This game featured what I've been waiting for: Nika and Aubrey defending the ball in the back court. And that turned out exactly as I'd expected.

Regarding Nika's three points: It's hard to score when you don't need to cross half-court because you made the long pass. :D

Reaction Score
Azzi with another 32-point masterpiece. She was again magnificent.

But what turned this game from close to a blowout were the career performances from Nika, Aaliyah, and Aubrey. Not to mention Lou turning around a poor first half and going off in 3Q.

What a game! Way to go! Get well soon, CD.

View attachment 80889
I’m not a GIF person, but this one puts a smile on my face EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Reaction Score
Ditto re: CD
Why are you making such a prediction?
One factor basketball fans always discount is that players get better. Players and coaches recognize it. Roles change, players actually work on their games, chemistry changes, players hungrier, less set in their ways, cultural changes. Funny how sometimes teams actually improve after losing a ton of seniors.
UConn case in point.
Another point, even us boneyarders forget is that Geno and the staff get really good players.
Anxious for an Amari siting
Probably no need to be anxious anymore.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just have to smile and shake my head when Nika is playing. LOVE THAT GIRL!!
Lou seemed to play much better defense. She had quicker feet today and stayed in front of her man.
Aubrey played like I knew she could play. She could be in the starting lineup even when Dorka comes back. Nika, Azzi, Dorka, Aaliyah and Aubrey. THAT would be a hard team to defeat.
Azzi, probably the player of the year.
Aaliyah had a rough row to hoe with having to battle both of the NC bigs.

LOVE our girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If you didn’t watch the Stanford - South Carolina game won by SC in overtime, you missed a great game. It wad much better than ours. SC gutted it out. Stanfod went cold in the 3rd qtr, and SC closed the gap.

Stanford made two critical mistakes in the closing moments in regulation and overtime. Tennessee loses to unranked UCLA. A great day for WCBB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have at least 2 great catch and shoot players. Thats 7-8 assists a game right there. We have a great shooting team so we are going to get a lot is assists. Loved Nika’s passing to the posts tonight which helped her get some more assists. No doubt it was a solid performance by all.

Players of the game were:
1) Azzi
2) AE
3) Aubrey
4) Lou/Nika

It’s about making plays and being efficient, both offensively and defensively.

Reaction Score
Up 23 with 2+ minutes left, and she's still not in the game. Probably no need to be anxious anymore.
True ’dat, but they recruited her. There’s got to be something there.
by anxious, I mean hoping

Reaction Score
I was impressed how composed the players started the game, after the scare with CD.

Edwards’ growth from last year is tremendous. She played fantastically, but completely within herself. No rush, just pure confidence. To think that in such a physical game, she didn’t commit a foul until halfway throughout the 4Q!

Anyone who has played team sports knows how much value Nika has to the team. This year she has been steady in her energy and demeanor. She sets the tone for the game and rewards other players for being in the right place. She is happy to let others shine while she is quietly orchestrating the game.

I had my doubts on how Aubrey would look—back surgery is hard. So happy for her and what a joy to watch.

Lou is taking a few games to ramp up to the competition. No worries.

Ayanna looks like a freshman in terms of eagerness, but she has a good nose for the ball. I hope she doesn’t become tentative because of the fouls. I love that she has the space to show off her skills and learn at the same time.

Nothing really to say about Azzi. The ball hits her hand and woooosh.

Caroline must be really frustrated. I hope things start to pull together for her.

Kat

Reaction Score
Does anyone know where one can find a stats sheet from this game? Looking for more than your ESPN box score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom