NC St Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

NC St Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I always thought it was 3 points
It is actually estimated and varies by team. For UConn vs NCST. Massey had us winning 69-65 at home and losing 69-66 at their place, a swing of 7, so a 3.5 homecourt advantage over a neutral site.

Reaction Score
(I'm turning off the jinx before I continue typing)
Azzi hasn't missed a free throw yet- 100%, 11 for 11

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the NC ST game:
  • I know everyone is praying for CD’s health and quick recovery from whatever caused her to faint on the court prior to the game today. For most UConn fans, it feels like it happened to a member of the family.
  • The last time these two teams met, in the March Elite 8 game in Bridgeport, it was a GAME FOR THE AGES, that took 2 OT’s and some spectacular Paige Bueckers heroics to settle the outcome. This time around the game was not played at quite the same high level and was over in regulation. But considering who wasn't playing for UConn today, it was a really, really nice win for the Huskies.
  • Without Dorka, an active, 6’5” post who can score, set screens, pass, rebound and play defense, UConn fans were wondering who, if anyone, was capable of stepping in to fill her shoes, and whether or not the depleted Huskies were up to the task of taking on the 10th ranked Wolfpack. Aubrey came up HUGE! Aaliyah came up HUGE and Ayanna contributed some tough defense and rebounding.
  • I love Aubrey on the point of UConn’s press. With her length and athleticism, she is incredibly disruptive.
  • For UConn to win today, the Huskies clearly needed another big game from Azzi. 28 pts through the first three qtrs and 32 points for the game feels just about right. :cool:
  • Nika didn’t score until there was 5:33 left in the game, But she played an otherwise brilliant game including great defense and a UConn record 15 assists!!! :eek:
  • I don’t know that I have ever seen a UConn game when only 3 players scored in one half. It wasn’t until 3 minutes into the 2nd half that Lou joined the scoring column for the Huskies, as she exploded for 20 pts in the second half.
  • Great 3-0 start to the season for the Huskies. Bring on the Dukies!!!
A nice and classy way to lead off your comments with a mention of CD and a hope for corporate prayer. :cool:

Reaction Score
Student Presser

Aubrey, Aaliyah and Nika

Nika took control of the presser the way she took control of the team.

What a great answer to that last question. I like the, “even the coaches”…..
I know I’m confident!

Reaction Score
the subs certainly could have been brought in with three or four minutes to go up twenty three
I think that Geno waited until NCST subbed before he called off the dogs. When playing against a coach and a good team he respects it can be considered disrespectful and bad form to put in your bench until they signal it is oK by subbing themselves.

sun

Reaction Score
I thought that Geno wanted to win by as many points as possible because Marquette beat Texas by the same amount as UConn did.
Aubrey may win the BE DPOY award if she keeps it up.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think that Geno waited until NCST subbed before he called off the dogs. When playing against a coach and a good team he respects it can be considered disrespectful and bad form to put in your bench until they signal it is oK by subbing themselves.
Yeah, it is always a question against a good team - who is going to 'blinking first' and I have always thought it should be the team losing that signals the game is over, time to exercise the bench.

There are times and especially early in the year where one or both teams may want to keep playing for the experience or to try different defenses, or specific options on offense, and I think that is OK too.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe either Stanford or So Carolina will drop below 2 no matter who wins
I will never try to predict what the AP voters think because their choices almost never make 100% sense to me. With that being said, I will say that I believe UConn should be ranked above Stanford in the next poll (SC #1, UConn #2, Stanford #3) simply because of UConn’s strength of non-con schedule. They’re playing the toughest schedule in the country & have showed more promise than concern. The way Stanford closed out that game was enough to raise concern and they don’t have many other opportunities to gain Top 10 wins because their non-con schedule is relatively weak for a team of their caliber. Just my two cents. Again, I will reiterate that I have no clue what basis AP voters go off of and find it unlikely that they will agree with me.

sun

Reaction Score
That’s never the case. Geno doesn’t care about the number of points.

Geno may also want help his players get national recognition by winning awards such as Azzi and Edwards.
They can need statistical proof to win awards.
And UConn's national ranking can also be affected by its margin of victory.
I would disagree with you to some extent.
Have you have seen how close Azzi is to being the highest scorer in the nation, just 0.3 of a point difference?
Of course it matters to Geno to help his players because it can also help UConn recruit better ranked high school prospects.
And it can help our players get the attention of the WNBA & foreign pro leagues too.

Reaction Score
she doesn't score & that always be a problem
Frankly, I could not care less if Nika scores or not. She does SO MUCH else that is invaluable to this team’s success. There is a reason she usually has excellent plus-minus numbers. She may not score it herself but she is the reason a lot of others get easy buckets with her defense, steals, and vision. On top of that.. the energy & effort, the tone she sets, her voice…just all the intangible things. She understands her role and plays it perfectly. So I’m tired of the idea that she can’t truly be an effective member of the team if she doesn’t become a prolific scorer. She is not the natural scorer that Azzi, Lou, Caroline, or Paige are BUT she is Nika and the BY should appreciate her for all that she brings rather than constantly dwelling on the things she lacks.

Reaction Score
Isn't the rule that you have 5 years to play 4 seasons? Next year would be her 5th year. My understanding is Covid didn't add any more time in which you could complete your eligibility, just that the 2020-21 season doesn't count against it, so you could play 5 seasons in 5 years if you wanted.
Aubrey could come back the next two years if she wanted to because she redshirted last year in addition to having the COVID year as an option.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I could not care less if Nika scores or not. She does SO MUCH else that is invaluable to this team’s success. There is a reason she usually has excellent plus-minus numbers. She may not score it herself but she is the reason a lot of others get easy buckets with her defense, steals, and vision. On top of that.. the energy & effort, the tone she sets, her voice…just all the intangible things. She understands her role and plays it perfectly. So I’m tired of the idea that she can’t truly be an effective member of the team if she doesn’t become a prolific scorer. She is not the natural scorer that Azzi, Lou, Caroline, or Paige are BUT she is Nika and the BY should appreciate her for all that she brings rather than constantly dwelling on the things she lacks.
Where ya’ been ? Do a BY poll. Nikka is/has been front and center in both affection and in serious appreciation of her skills since she (wait for it) hit the floor. Totally possible she’s becoming an AA candidate before our very eyes…she certainly is making #10 pretty memorable…again.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I noticed on the game replay during the handshake line that Geno gave a long hug to Saniya Rivers. Were we recruiting her?

Reaction Score
I liked the game. I did not care for all of the fouls some of which I thought were bogus. I did like Ayanna for her determination and grit as she grabbed rebounds surrounded by 3 white shirts. Azzi, is good. Lou seemed to come through in the second half. That is good when one gets slow the other gets hot. Nika, Wow!

It appears that no one did not get injured during this game and that is a good thing.
I'm sad for Dorka, but the minutes that Ayanna will get in her absence will be huge for her and come in handy down the road.

Reaction Score
I kind of view it the opposite way.........Geno could have called off the dogs at four minutes left and then Wes would reciprocate............I was having visions of Azzi on the floor in pain when she didn't need to be out there.......

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Where ya’ been ? Do a BY poll. Nikka is/has been front and center in both affection and in serious appreciation of her skills since she (wait for it) hit the floor. Totally possible she’s becoming an AA candidate before our very eyes…she certainly is making #10 pretty memorable…again.
While it’s true that most BY’ers adore Nika for her toughness and ability, from her arrival in Storrs there has been a handful of naysayers who never acknowledged her value to the team. Those naysayers are still out there, although they appear to have gone “radio silent” in the face of Nika’s tremendous start to this season. I fear the naysayers are still present, lying in wait, ready to pounce should Nika stumble.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While it’s true that most BY’ers adore Nika for her toughness and ability, from her arrival in Storrs there has been a handful of naysayers who never acknowledged her value to the team. Those naysayers are still out there, although they appear to have gone “radio silent” in the face of Nika’s tremendous start to this season. I fear the naysayers are still present, lying in wait, ready to pounce should Nika stumble.
The irony is Nika couldn't care less if she starts or comes off the bench. Next year, assuming Paige and Azzi are healthy, she most likely will come off the bench and be the energy spark any great team needs.

Reaction Score
I will never try to predict what the AP voters think because their choices almost never make 100% sense to me. With that being said, I will say that I believe UConn should be ranked above Stanford in the next poll (SC #1, UConn #2, Stanford #3) simply because of UConn’s strength of non-con schedule. They’re playing the toughest schedule in the country & have showed more promise than concern. The way Stanford closed out that game was enough to raise concern and they don’t have many other opportunities to gain Top 10 wins because their non-con schedule is relatively weak for a team of their caliber. Just my two cents. Again, I will reiterate that I have no clue what basis AP voters go off of and find it unlikely that they will agree with me.
Although it is way too early for statistical certainty, Massey has UConn number two this morning.

Reaction Score
Just watched the replay this morning, and it got me thinking about River Baldwin. She’s strong and has some good post moves and could become an effective rim protector with better foot speed. As it stands, she doesn’t have the conditioning or the range of Stef or of Boston. If we recruited her back in the day, I can’t help thinking it was a mistake for her to go somewhere that didn’t get more from her, challenge her more, and help her become truly great. It seems like a missed opportunity.

Of course, I can’t help but be reminded of Amari and wondering what’s missing for her. I know all the usual answers, so we don’t need to rehash them again. Maybe there’s something else about her that stands in her way. As always, I wish her well.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
After watching today's game, I believe that UConn may have more problems with some of the Big East teams than they did today against NC State. Currently there are 3 other teams in the Big East that are undefeated and they are Creighton, Villanova, and Marquette.
Well, I appreciate your optimism, but I politely disagree. Creighton is clearly the #2 team in the BE with great wins over South Dakota, South Dakota State and Nebraska. They have a key game against a very good Drake team. That said, due to what happened last year against Villanova, UConn has a completely different mindset this year and will be ready against any ranked Big East Opponents. To put any of these 3 teams in the same class as a yet to gel NC State team is curious at best. I am a huge Creighton and Jim Flannery fan but NC State is better. As far as Villanova goes, they have had a great start but have not really beaten anyone of note (yes Princeton was ranked at the time but they barely beat Temple) and they have a very good Belmont team coming up. And Marquette had two good wins but that Texas team is being dismantled as a quality without Harmon daily. The good news is Marquette could really make a national relevance statement with a win over UCLA today, then I will be a believer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom