NC St Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

NC St Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After watching today's game, I believe that UConn may have more problems with some of the Big East teams than they did today against NC State.

To put any of these 3 teams in the same class as a yet to gel NC State team is curious at best.
Interesting. I read @MSGRET differently — not suggesting we would lose to them, but that the BE has several teams comparable to the old ACC powerhouses. Maybe it’s just my prejudice, but I’ve been saying the Power 5 conferences have been overrated for a while now. Either way, we’ll find several good tests in conference play this year and it will only make us better.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Interesting. I read @MSGRET differently — not suggesting we would lose to them, but that the BE has several teams comparable to the old ACC powerhouses. Maybe it’s just my prejudice, but I’ve been saying the Power 5 conferences have been overrated for a while now. Either way, we’ll find several good tests in conference play this year and it will only make us better.
Not sure what your definition of "overrated" is but the Big East will be lucky to keep 3 teams in the top 25 all year (I would be ecstatic if that were the case) never mind a 4th team. Their strength of schedule is simply too weak to justify.
  • Creighton has Drake and Arkansas left along with their 3 good wins already plus a veteran team that had a great run last year.
  • Villanova has a star in Maddie but frankly will need to impress against Iowa State when that game comes up as their OOC is kind of weak. Playing the Philly 5 does not help them anymore and is antiquated (sorry all the nostalgia loving crowd).
  • As for Marquette, a win or very good game today and a win over Colorado would aid their situation as well as a strong Big East Season.
But take a look at the rest of the P5, my assessment is maybe the PAC12 or Big10 are having down years, the rest of them all dwarf the Big East contingent.
PAC12 with Stanford, Utah and UCLA as the top 3 but Arizona and Oregon have more talent than all but UConn and Creighton. So 5 teams will be in the Ranking consideration all year.
The Big 10 has tOSU, Indiana, Maryland, Iowa and Nebraska (despite their loss to Creighton) who should be in the Ranking consideration all year and the first 4 easily in the top 16.
Big12 has Iowa State, Oklahoma, Baylor, Kansas State and the much-maligned Texas.
ACC is also down this year from an "elite team perspective" but ND (ND could force itself into a top 8 consideration), Louisville, NC, NC State, Duke and VPI are all much stronger than what the Big East can put on floor.
The SEC is stacked as usual with SC, LSU, Georgia, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee and heck even Alabama could make noise.

I am willing to see and read where you think the rest of the P5 is weak when compared to the Big East so please show us.

Reaction Score
Just watched the replay this morning, and it got me thinking about River Baldwin. She’s strong and has some good post moves and could become an effective rim protector with better foot speed. As it stands, she doesn’t have the conditioning or the range of Stef or of Boston. If we recruited her back in the day, I can’t help thinking it was a mistake for her to go somewhere that didn’t get more from her, challenge her more, and help her become truly great. It seems like a missed opportunity.

Of course, I can’t help but be reminded of Amari and wondering what’s missing for her. I know all the usual answers, so we don’t need to rehash them again. Maybe there’s something else about her that stands in her way. As always, I wish her well.
Baldwin reminds me of Jessica Shepard when she was at Nebraska before she transformed herself at Notre Dame and the WNBA

Reaction Score
the Big East will be lucky to keep 3 teams in the top 25 all year

PAC12 with Stanford, Utah and UCLA as the top 3 but Arizona and Oregon have more talent than all but UConn and Creighton.

The Big 10 has tOSU, Indiana, Maryland, Iowa and Nebraska (despite their loss to Creighton) who should be in the Ranking consideration all year and the first 4 easily in the top 16.

Big12 has Iowa State, Oklahoma, Baylor, Kansas State and the much-maligned Texas.

ACC is also down this year from an "elite team perspective" but ND (ND could force itself into a top 8 consideration), Louisville, NC, NC State, Duke and VPI are all much stronger than what the Big East can put on floor.

The SEC is stacked as usual with SC, LSU, Georgia, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee and heck even Alabama could make noise.
Well, this is shifting gears from whatever @MSGRET might have meant above. But, okay. Let's go with your assessments taken at face value.

In effect, you're saying that each of the Power 5 has 5 really good teams. I like that reading of what the term means, btw. My only claim is that the BE has 3 underrated teams, Creighton (which you rightly acknowledge) Marquette, Villanova. I'd add that the prejudice in favor of the Power 5 makes it unfairly harder for them to get the tournament consideration they deserve. I think Villanova and Creighton proved that last year when they got in and won games. So, yes, I'll be happy if the BE manages to keep 3 teams in the top 25 all year, thrilled even.

If your point is that the difference between the Power 5 and the BE is we only have 4 really good teams instead of 5, then I'm also in total agreement.

Now we could argue about how good all those Power 5 teams really are, and how they perform right now may not be the best evidence. Could Maryland really beat Marquette now? Maybe, but I'd like to see the game played. It would probably be good for both teams. And Duke or VPI? Are they really so clearly better? I think the top 4 of the BE is competitive with all these teams. Ole Miss Tennessee and even Alabama "could make noise." But are they simply in another class to Villanova? I'm thinking of the difference between an embarrassing blowout and a close game. We both probably agree that UConn would beat any of these 3 teams in a blowout right now, just as they probably will against Creighton Villanova and Marquette later. And that seems to me to suggest that the BE is comparable. They don't all have to beat SC to be comparable as a conference.

The only ACC teams I'd consider obviously better than Creighton Villanova Marquette right now are Louisville and ND, and Louisville just lost to Gonzaga, a team that would fit well in the middle of the BE pack.
The only Big 12 teams obviously better in my view are Iowa St, Baylor and (ironically) Texas.
The only Big 10 teams obviously better are Indiana and tOSU... and maybe Maryland. Why don't I include Iowa? Because they lost to Creighton last year playing essentially the same lineups. Therefore, by definition, not obviously better.
The only Pac 12 teams obviously better are Stanford, Arizona and maybe UCLA
And the SEC is a legit 'power' conference in my view (the only one, I think) and SC LSU are obviously better, maybe Georgia and Arkansas too, and maybe even Tennessee if they ever manage to get it together (though history is against them).

I'd watch games between the top 4 of the BE and any of these teams. They would be worth seeing. Some of them will be blowouts -- especially those involving SC Stanford and UCONN -- but lots of them would be close, hard fought games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just watched the replay this morning, and it got me thinking about River Baldwin. She’s strong and has some good post moves and could become an effective rim protector with better foot speed. As it stands, she doesn’t have the conditioning or the range of Stef or of Boston. If we recruited her back in the day, I can’t help thinking it was a mistake for her to go somewhere that didn’t get more from her, challenge her more, and help her become truly great. It seems like a missed opportunity.

Of course, I can’t help but be reminded of Amari and wondering what’s missing for her. I know all the usual answers, so we don’t need to rehash them again. Maybe there’s something else about her that stands in her way. As always, I wish her well.

Pretty sure Geno recruited her

Reaction Score
There is no bench at the moment. Patterson plays as though she has been instructed to rebound, pass the ball and avoid fouls in quick succession. Shooting the ball in the direction of the basket appears forbidden. One wonders if she even will remember her offensive skills, once the chains are removed. So she is not expected to score. Amari doesn't play so she can't score. And the same goes for Portugal. There is no bench. So don't be shocked by that statistic.

Reaction Score
We have 5 really really good players right now.

Will be 7 when Caroline and Dorka get healthy. Maybe 8 depending on Ayanna's development.

This team is really good.

Also, Amari isn't going to be the xfactor on this team like I was told after Dorka got hurt.
I am afraid to say, I agree that Amari will not be an X factor; nor a Y factor. She is a friendly face cheering on the bench. And looks to remain so.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Geno recruited her
I'm not so sure our coaches are that good in developing skills, latent in some of their players. That center from Manchester NH ( who left by portal last year ) never become anything. Amari seems headed for the same track. And Amari was a top talent in HS. So she iw a huge failure for this staff so far. No reason to believe Rivers would have blossomed here.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is no bench at the moment. Patterson plays as though she has been instructed to rebound, pass the ball and avoid fouls in quick succession. Shooting the ball in the direction of the basket appears forbidden. One wonders if she even will remember her offensive skills, once the chains are removed. So she is not expected to score. Amari doesn't play so she can't score. And the same goes for Portugal. There is no bench. So don't be shocked by that statistic.
The short bench doesn’t concern me. A few years ago ND won a national championship with 5 starters playing 35+ mpg along with one reserve playing 10+ mpg. As for Ayanna, I wouldn’t shortchange her. She may not score a lot, but she is extremely active on defense, can go up in a crowd and come down with a rebound and she is a relentless screen setter on offense.

My biggest concern about UConn’s bench relates to Caroline. She has not been the same player since her head & neck injury last season. Add in off-season hip surgery and we just haven’t seen the same Caroline that carried the Huskies last season when so many players were out.

If Caroline gets back to form, and Dorka is back quickly from her broken thumb, that gives UConn a pretty solid 8 player rotation. After that, anything the Huskies get from Amari and Ines is gravy.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure our coaches are that good in developing skills, latent in some of their players. That center from Manchester NH ( who left by portal last year ) never become anything. Amari seems headed for the same track. And Amari was a top talent in HS. So she iw a huge failure for this staff so far. No reason to believe Rivers would have blossomed here.
You’re kidding right? Our coaches are not that good in developing skills? Nika’s fantastic development at pg didn’t just magically occur. Nor did Aaliyah’s extensive new repertoire of low post moves. Aubrey is playing the best basketball of her life and, before her injury, Dorka had shown us a vastly expanded game.

Reaction Score
If/when Patterson develops a shooters touch, she'll be encouraged to shoot. Right now she is more of a hammer than an artist

Reaction Score
My biggest concern about UConn’s bench relates to Caroline. She has not been the same player since her head & neck injury last season. Add in off-season hip surgery and we just haven’t seen the same Caroline that carried the Huskies last season when so many players were out.
Me too. She didn’t seem to be moving “freely” on the court yesterday.

Reaction Score
If/when Patterson develops a shooters touch, she'll be encouraged to shoot. Right now she is more of a hammer than an artist
From very little observation, I like Ayanna's focus and intensity. She can only improve with more playing time. She's a plus from the bench.

Reaction Score
AZ? Maybe you should use first names? The initials thing doesn’t seem to be working for you
AMEN - trying to come up with "catchy" nicknames that no-one uses is kinda silly. And Caroline is Caroline please.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I could not care less if Nika scores or not. She does SO MUCH else that is invaluable to this team’s success. There is a reason she usually has excellent plus-minus numbers. She may not score it herself but she is the reason a lot of others get easy buckets with her defense, steals, and vision. On top of that.. the energy & effort, the tone she sets, her voice…just all the intangible things. She understands her role and plays it perfectly. So I’m tired of the idea that she can’t truly be an effective member of the team if she doesn’t become a prolific scorer. She is not the natural scorer that Azzi, Lou, Caroline, or Paige are BUT she is Nika and the BY should appreciate her for all that she brings rather than constantly dwelling on the things she lacks.

The issue is not whether Nika scores, it's whether she is a threat to score. If the other team doesn't see her as a scoring option then they back off and either double someone else or clog the lanes. Nika only needs to score enough so that the opposing team respects her on defense. And making a third of her 3 point attempts (1-3 last game) is probably enough to do that.

Reaction Score
Not sure what your definition of "overrated" is but the Big East will be lucky to keep 3 teams in the top 25 all year (I would be ecstatic if that were the case) never mind a 4th team. Their strength of schedule is simply too weak to justify.
  • Creighton has Drake and Arkansas left along with their 3 good wins already plus a veteran team that had a great run last year.
  • Villanova has a star in Maddie but frankly will need to impress against Iowa State when that game comes up as their OOC is kind of weak. Playing the Philly 5 does not help them anymore and is antiquated (sorry all the nostalgia loving crowd).
  • As for Marquette, a win or very good game today and a win over Colorado would aid their situation as well as a strong Big East Season.
But take a look at the rest of the P5, my assessment is maybe the PAC12 or Big10 are having down years, the rest of them all dwarf the Big East contingent.
PAC12 with Stanford, Utah and UCLA as the top 3 but Arizona and Oregon have more talent than all but UConn and Creighton. So 5 teams will be in the Ranking consideration all year.

I am willing to see and read where you think the rest of the P5 is weak when compared to the Big East so please show us.
Let's wait a minute before we proclaim Tennessee as being any good. You know, until they show they can beat anyone.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The issue is not whether Nika scores, it's whether she is a threat to score. If the other team doesn't see her as a scoring option then they back off and either double someone else or clog the lanes. Nika only needs to score enough so that the opposing team respects her on defense. And making a third of her 3 point attempts (1-3 last game) is probably enough to do that.
Nobody backed off on her yesterday, would you give a good passer more space more open angles to complete passes?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I have a question the XL Center reported attendance at 67%, which was pretty bad and obvious when watching the broadcast. Gample reported attendance last Monday at 100%, which while sitting there was at best 75%. Is the XL Center being honest, attendance is humans in seats. Empty seats are a appearance and financial negative.

Reaction Score
You’re kidding right? Our coaches are not that good in developing skills? Nika’s fantastic development at pg didn’t just magically occur. Nor did Aaliyah’s extensive new repertoire of low post moves. Aubrey is playing the best basketball of her life and, before her injury, Dorka had shown us a vastly expanded game.
I think development of players would be an interesting discussion. I'm not quite so enthusiastic as you are. I will be interested to see how Patterson comes along. As the #4 rated player, and #1 wing, with her size and athleticism, she should really be something. UConn has had overall #1s, whose development left me disappointed. I think of Samuelson, KML, and Christyn Williams. They came with certain skills,, and left with them. Gabby's offensive game never changed much, until she went to Europe. Olivia? Azura has shown a game in the WNBA that it didn't seem like UConn coaches wanted to see. Ok, Collier really developed, and continues to. Maya, Breanna, Diana, Tina, and Sue were in another class before they arrived. Maybe it's not only UConn that has underwhelming results with top recruits, and maybe I'm expecting too much. I certainly hope that Dorka learns how to shoot, that Aubrey expands her offensive game, and that Aaliyah stops traveling. Let the "dislikes" begin.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Me too. She didn’t seem to be moving “freely” on the court yesterday.
The short bench doesn’t concern me. A few years ago ND won a national championship with 5 starters playing 35+ mpg along with one reserve playing 10+ mpg. As for Ayanna, I wouldn’t shortchange her. She may not score a lot, but she is extremely active on defense, can go up in a crowd and come down with a rebound and she is a relentless screen setter on offense.

If Caroline gets back to form, and Dorka is back quickly from her broken thumb, that gives UConn a pretty solid 8 player rotation. After that, anything the Huskies get from Amari and Ines is gravy.
When I watched the NCSU replay today I noticed that Caroline had what appeared to be kinesio tape on the back of her neck.

Reaction Score
From very little observation, I like Ayanna's focus and intensity. She can only improve with more playing time. She's a plus from the bench.
She is incredibly focused when she plays defense. That play where she recovered on a pick and roll to make a steal was really impressive. I doubt any other Freshman post could have made that play and 90 per cent of the posts in the game couldn’t either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom