NC St Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

NC St Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the NC ST game:
  • I know everyone is praying for CD’s health and quick recovery from whatever caused her to faint on the court prior to the game today. For most UConn fans, it feels like it happened to a member of the family.
  • The last time these two teams met, in the March Elite 8 game in Bridgeport, it was a GAME FOR THE AGES, that took 2 OT’s and some spectacular Paige Bueckers heroics to settle the outcome. This time around the game was not played at quite the same high level and was over in regulation. But considering who wasn't playing for UConn today, it was a really, really nice win for the Huskies.
  • Without Dorka, an active, 6’5” post who can score, set screens, pass, rebound and play defense, UConn fans were wondering who, if anyone, was capable of stepping in to fill her shoes, and whether or not the depleted Huskies were up to the task of taking on the 10th ranked Wolfpack. Aubrey came up HUGE! Aaliyah came up HUGE and Ayanna contributed some tough defense and rebounding.
  • I love Aubrey on the point of UConn’s press. With her length and athleticism, she is incredibly disruptive.
  • For UConn to win today, the Huskies clearly needed another big game from Azzi. 28 pts through the first three qtrs and 32 points for the game feels just about right. :cool:
  • Nika didn’t score until there was 5:33 left in the game, But she played an otherwise brilliant game including great defense and a UConn record 15 assists!!! :eek:
  • I don’t know that I have ever seen a UConn game when only 3 players scored in one half. It wasn’t until 3 minutes into the 2nd half that Lou joined the scoring column for the Huskies, as she exploded for 20 pts in the second half.
  • Great 3-0 start to the season for the Huskies. Bring on the Dukies!!!

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
DC514E38-1E9D-4433-BEC8-61F1C6A92669.jpeg

Reaction Score
I liked the game. I did not care for all of the fouls some of which I thought were bogus. I did like Ayanna for her determination and grit as she grabbed rebounds surrounded by 3 white shirts. Azzi, is good. Lou seemed to come through in the second half. That is good when one gets slow the other gets hot. Nika, Wow!

It appears that no one did not get injured during this game and that is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Main takeaways:
  • Azzi Fudd is the best player in the country.
  • Nika Muhl is my favorite player.
  • Aubrey Griffin is going to be huge for us
  • A "quiet" 20/12 for Edwards, she's massively improved this year
We're #5. #4 lost this week. We beat #3. #2 and #1 are currently playing each other, so one of them has to lose. UConn will be ranked the #2 team in the country tomorrow

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Azzi with another 32-point masterpiece. She was again magnificent.

But what turned this game from close to a blowout were the career performances from Nika, Aaliyah, and Aubrey. Not to mention Lou turning around a poor first half and going off in 3Q.

What a game! Way to go! Get well soon, CD.

1668975402921.gif

Reaction Score
Call me a believer! I was not nearly as optimistic about UConn this season as many of the BY because I felt the PG position was questionable. N. Mull has answered the call, she is the Point Guard and as of today I feel UConn is the best team in the country!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Main takeaways:
  • Azzi Fudd is the best player in the country.
  • Nika Muhl is my favorite player.
  • Aubrey Griffin is going to be huge for us
  • A "quiet" 20/12 for Edwards, she's massively improved this year
We're #5. #4 lost this week. We beat #3. #2 and #1 are currently playing each other, so one of them has to lose. UConn will be ranked the #2 team in the country tomorrow
I agree but with the caveat that the SoCar Stanford winner is a dominant winner.
But I don't really care if we are the 2 or 3 ranked team.

Reaction Score
As much as I would like to see Nika average 6-8 PPG I will take her grittiness on defense and leading the offense. REALLY, it took an offensive rebound for her to dish out her 15th assist..

Azzi Fudd is Azzi Fudd. No other comparison.

I would pay good money to Watch Aubrey just play defense. Well worth the price of admission.

Aaliyah Edwards is playing the way we all know she can.

After being quiet in the first Lou lit it up in the second half.

Caroline needs to get back to playing shape ASAP

Honk if your rooting for Stanford!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
With all five starters playing wonderfully, Nika dominated with her fabulous execution of the fast break.

Is it possible to have a quiet 32 points? Azzi's low key approach to hunt shots within the offense is unusual for a scorer.

Senechal might have the highest arc shot on her three point attempts that I have ever seen.

Ayanna is struggling with the same problem that Aaliyah had as a freshmen. Way too aggressive defending around the basket.

For all the angst with the injuries, Aubrey's return has been so much fun to watch. She could be playing the best she ever played at UConn.

14 TOs for the game. 11 in the first half I think. They fixed that and shut down Diamond Johnson.

Hope CD is OK.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know this is not the right thread and I’m not trying to hijack it, but Stanford is up by 10 after the first quarter. Boston is on the bench with two fouls.

A 22 point win over a top 10 team is very very impressive. All of our questions have been answered.

Reaction Score
Team exceeded my expectations today! Was great to see breadth in scoring. There is still some upside left when Caroline gets back to form and Ayanna gains in game experience. Team will need that against stronger defenses. We will be in better shape as the season progresses and the good segments of the game get longer.

The best to CD for a speedy recovery!

Reaction Score
BD14A8FF-B0BF-4E74-BFB7-477DDF1B2E4D.jpeg

A truly great team win. 4 Starters in double figures led by Azzi’s 32 pts. Nika with a team record 15 ast. Aaliyah with a double double. Aubrey doing a terrific job starting with 16 pts, 6 stl, 6 reb.

Reaction Score
We have 5 really really good players right now.

Will be 7 when Caroline and Dorka get healthy. Maybe 8 depending on Ayanna's development.

This team is really good.

Also, Amari isn't going to be the xfactor on this team like I was told after Dorka got hurt.

Reaction Score
Honestly, that was one of the best efforts I have seen in years given that...

No Paige
No Ice
No Dorka
Basically No Caroline
CD Faints Pre-Game

This team is mentally tough
missed the first half, what happened to CD?

Reaction Score
Beyond the obvious, Patterson's performance should not be overlooked: particularly rebounding and defensive presence. Very impactful for the minutes. This is not just raw freshman ability you're hoping to see develop some day; there's quality there right now. Not at all concerned about the 3 fouls in 11 minutes, 2 of them were very light touches.

On the glass half empty side: quality future teams will be noticing in the game film that UConn was unable to stop drives up the middle, to a much greater extent than could be ascribed simply to Dorka's absence. But that's almost quibbling; this was a very high effort high performance win against a good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom