NBA Post-Season Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NBA Post-Season Thread

Reaction Score
Physicality and playmaking as in being a more explosive athlete and better passer? Because I'd say Durant (last year and this) is actually not even a finesse player anymore, and has been a great iso/playmaker guy for awhile now.

That's why I was asking him what he meant specifically. Both are great playmakers in a general sense, Durant is a scorer who can also distribute and Giannis is more of a passer who is also adding an offensive repertoire. Giannis + shooting is basically Durant (with better passing, though it seems unlikely Giannis ever becomes the pure shooter Durant is).

Yes to being more explosive and a better passer, and I also meant the aggression he attacks the rim with and his overall mentality I guess. Granted, KD doesn't need to attack like this because he is such a good shooter. KD isn't a finesse player, you are right, he has no problem bullying smaller defenders nowadays. I remember back in the day Chris Paul giving him a handful on D by playing so physically - that would not be possible anymore. He is arguably the best iso scorer in the game and has always been a talented passer but last year and especially this year, he is more willing. I wouldn't bet on Giannis becoming better than KD (KD is going to end up top 15-20 all time, right?) but I am excited to watch him grow. I actually wanted to check KD's early career stats because I had a suspicion Giannis was better at the same age but nope. KD was putting up 30 and 8 on good efficiency as a 21 year old. Jesus.

Reaction Score
Yes to being more explosive and a better passer, and I also meant the aggression he attacks the rim with and his overall mentality I guess. Granted, KD doesn't need to attack like this because he is such a good shooter. KD isn't a finesse player, you are right, he has no problem bullying smaller defenders nowadays. I remember back in the day Chris Paul giving him a handful on D by playing so physically - that would not be possible anymore. He is arguably the best iso scorer in the game and has always been a talented passer but last year and especially this year, he is more willing. I wouldn't bet on Giannis becoming better than KD (KD is going to end up top 15-20 all time, right?) but I am excited to watch him grow. I actually wanted to check KD's early career stats because I had a suspicion Giannis was better at the same age but nope. KD was putting up 30 and 8 on good efficiency as a 21 year old. Jesus.

KD is actually underrated in my opinion. His #'s are simply insane and I'd say (assuming he wins a 'ship or two at some point) will place him potentially in the top 10. Barring injury, he should probably reach 35000 points in his career (at 19000 now). That being said, Giannis is insanely fun to watch and as good as he is, he is still not even close to reaching his potential.

Reaction Score
KD is actually underrated in my opinion. His #'s are simply insane and I'd say (assuming he wins a 'ship or two at some point) will place him potentially in the top 10. Barring injury, he should probably reach 35000 points in his career (at 19000 now). That being said, Giannis is insanely fun to watch and as good as he is, he is still not even close to reaching his potential.

Hard to disagree with you there. KD is somehow underrated. He has never been the best player in the League, which is bizarre for a potential top 10 player, but that's life when you share your prime with the 2nd best player of all time.

Reaction Score
Never heard this guy speak before. After this I'm rooting for Fizdale and Fizzlies. He sounds just like Tone Loc and even looks a little like him.

You should listen to him on The Vertical Podcast with Woj. "They're not going to rook us" is an all time quote in my opinion. My only problem with this address is when he mentioned how Conley doesn't get the calls because he is a class act and doesn't run his mouth, only to mention Kawhi and his free throw total 2x. I know he wasn't disrespecting Kawhi because I know Fizdale and he was clearly doing this to motivate his team but we all know Kawhi is the embodiment of a guy who plays the game the right way.

Reaction Score

I've got a lot of respect for Fizdale. Regardless of whether they got hosed or not, any coach who defends his players is impressive in my book .

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Celtics season is on life support right now.

They can't rebound, at all. I think everyone on this board can relate to that.

Reaction Score
29-Tina-Powers-David-Fizdale-Natasha-Sen.jpg
In the past day Fizdale has become my new favorite guy in the NBA.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The Celts forgot how to play defense.

They're not playing good defense but every Bulls player thinks he's Michael Jordan. Lopez is making everything.

Reaction Score

Inexplicable inactivity at the deadline. This was going to be an issue, I just figured it'd maybe come up in round 2. I also think that Stevens basically wrung every ounce of productivity out of them in the regular season. They don't have an extra gear for the playoffs like really good teams do. I love IT, but you're not going to go deep in the playoffs with him as your best guy.

Reaction Score
Inexplicable inactivity at the deadline. This was going to be an issue, I just figured it'd maybe come up in round 2. I also think that Stevens basically wrung every ounce of productivity out of them in the regular season. They don't have an extra gear for the playoffs like really good teams do. I love IT, but you're not going to go deep in the playoffs with him as your best guy.
I actually disagree, and think this has been Stevens' worst job so far (which is crazy to say considering their record). He did a terrible job developing their bench and establishing roles for players, and it's rearing its ugly head.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

I Thomas is, I fully understand why, going through the motions tonight
Horford, as usual, refuses to play the 5
Avery disappeared today
Olynyk is as weak and soft as a noodle
Don't get why Zeller isn't seeing time vs Lopez

just a bad match-up - Chicago can't miss and just too big

Reaction Score

This x 100 million. There are definitely die hard Celtics fans on this board who claim that blowing up their roster for Butler and the position of the 2nd best team in the East wasn't worth the future sacrifice but I don't buy it. They have enough depth at the wing to lose 2 of Crowder/Bradley/Brown (plus the Nets pick).

Reaction Score
The Bulls just have more talent. As you said the Celts squeeze every ounce out of what they have. The Bulls were the exact opposite during the regular season, they beat all the top teams at one point or the other but also consistently lost to the worst teams.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I actually disagree, and think this has been Stevens' worst job so far (which is crazy to say considering their record). He did a terrible job developing their bench and establishing roles for players, and it's rearing its ugly head.

I agree with BigErn. "Developing their bench"? Who besides Brown are you talking about? (And I don't even agree that Brown hasn't developed.) Rozier?

We needed a rebounder. Not a great rebounder. Ainge was right not to give up anything of value. But we could have traded some 2nd round picks for a body.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This x 100 million. There are definitely die hard Celtics fans on this board who claim that blowing up their roster for Butler and the position of the 2nd best team in the East wasn't worth the future sacrifice but I don't buy it. They have enough depth at the wing to lose 2 of Crowder/Bradley/Brown (plus the Nets pick).

I'm not sure Ern is saying what you're saying.

I'm happy they didn't blow up the team, even though agree IT isn't the #1 player on a title team. But a small move would've helped the Celtics avoid getting swept by the 8th seed.

Reaction Score
They've figured out that with a deep roster you can outpace teams during a long season but of course come playoff time that gets thrown out the window. The team with the best 5 wins 10/10 times in a series and as obvious as it sounds the team with the best player on the court has the upper hand by a lot in a 7 game series. I can't think of one playoff team in the east where the C's would have the best player. Ironically this team reminds me of the Bulls when Rose wasn't healthy, could put together strong stretches during the regular season with basically 2 starting 5's but come playoff time not one of those 10 players could keep up with the Lebron's of the world in a playoff series.

Reaction Score
Does Jimmy Butler make you a contender? No. If you trade for him, do you still have enough pieces to trade for another player that makes you a contender? Likely no.

Countless NBA teams in history have "gone for it" when they weren't really close enough to do so, and it set them back for years to come.

Reaction Score
I Thomas is, I fully understand why, going through the motions tonight
Horford, as usual, refuses to play the 5
Avery disappeared today
Olynyk is as weak and soft as a noodle
Don't get why Zeller isn't seeing time vs Lopez

just a bad match-up - Chicago can't miss and just too big
Haven't even noticed Horford in this game, he's been totally invisible.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Ern is saying what you're saying.

I'm happy they didn't blow up the team, even though agree IT isn't the #1 player on a title team. But a small move would've helped the Celtics avoid getting swept by the 8th seed.

Yeah I don't disagree that they have the pieces to have made a Butler deal, but even without that there was available inside help that was there for the taking. The lack of rebounding is an issue that no player development was going to address and it mystifies me that Ainge didn't make a move.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom