NBA Post-Season Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBA Post-Season Thread

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Aigne has been a disaster the last few years.

James Young pick

Taking Rozier ahead of Portis

Not doing #3, #16 and Rozier for Butler last year. Maybe Jaylen Brown or French Draymond Green will turn into something, but Butler is a star now.

His Nets trade was great, has to hit on something.
It's hard to hit on anything in the nba draft in the mid-1st round and beyond.
Ainge has not been a disaster, you could say the same about the majority of the league general managers outside of the Warriors and Spurs.

Reaction Score
It's hard to hit on anything in the nba draft in the mid-1st round and beyond.
Ainge has not been a disaster, you could say the same about the majority of the league general managers outside of the Warriors and Spurs.
I'm amazed you don't have JSM on ignore, but all of the Ainge haters are Grade A morons.

It's been less than 4 years since he traded away their last championship core, and here's where the Celtics stand:

- 1 seed in the East with the youngest team in the playoffs
- The best odds at the #1 pick and a 50% chance at a top 2 pick (plus another likely lotto pick next year)
- Two Euro guys on the way next season, both of whom are considered to be first-round talent if they were in this year's draft
- Zero bad contracts and plenty of cap room for this offseason
- They have a 20-year-old in Jaylen Brown with tons of potential

They're set up to be really good for 7-10 years, and there are nitwits complaining that they didn't gut their team for Butler or George ... neither of whom even make you a contender.

Reaction Score
Just one of your points:

They could have dealt #3 (Brown), #16 (French guy) and Crowder for Butler last year supposedly

Yeah, you wouldn't have done that? That is not gutting your roster. Basically 1 of those guys contributes with minimal consistency.

I'm amazed you don't have JSM on ignore, but all of the Ainge haters are Grade A morons.

It's been less than 4 years since he traded away their last championship core, and here's where the Celtics stand:

- The best odds at the #1 pick and a 50% chance at a top 2 pick (plus another likely lotto pick next year)
- Two Euro guys on the way next season, both of whom are considered to be first-round talent if they were in this year's draft

They're set up to be really good for 7-10 years, and there are nitwits complaining that they didn't gut their team for Butler or George ... neither of whom even make you a contender.

Reaction Score
I honestly never understood how there are people that are die hard college basketball fans yet at the same time hate the NBA. Im not even talking about anybody on here because I know a lot of people that feel that way. The NBA playoffs are very intense and fun to watch because you can just see that its a completely different environment compared to the regular season.

First round most years usually isn't very good and EC playoffs haven't been interesting in like 10 years. West semis/finals and NBA finals are pretty must watch if you're a basketball fan though.

Reaction Score
I realize he was recently injured but irregardless. The difference between playoff Lowry and regular season Lowry is more pronounced than any other player in the League. I really, really like the guy so I am hoping he gets his s___ together.

And good Lord, the League is going to be in TROUBLE if Giannis ever learns to become a good shooter. The Bucks should throw a mil. a year to Chip Engellend to unlock the ultimate NBA cheat code.

We already have Giannis with a good jumper. His name is Kevin Durant.

Reaction Score

Agreed on most points (especially not throwing away picks/young players for Butler or PG13), but the Horford contract was a reach and I'm skeptical that Jaylen Brown ever becomes a star or a 'go to guy'.

Reaction Score
We already have Giannis with a good jumper. His name is Kevin Durant.

Good point. I think Giannis will develop a level of physicality and playmaking that KD won't approach but he can only hope to be half the shooter of KD.

Reaction Score
Agreed on most points (especially not throwing away picks/young players for Butler or PG13), but the Horford contract was a reach and I'm skeptical that Jaylen Brown ever becomes a star or a 'go to guy'.
The Horford contract is okay when you factor in how much the cap will go up. He filled an enormous need, and didn't cost the Celtics any young players or picks in the process.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The Horford contract is okay when you factor in how much the cap will go up. He filled an enormous need, and didn't cost the Celtics any young players or picks in the process.
He gave the Celtics a "name" but I am not sure his style of play is what the CMen really needed. Horford is a 4, plays like a 4 and wants nothing to do with being the big man (5) in the rotation. This team cries for a talented true big man - someone who can dump the ball to and will create his shot or pass out. Above all they need a true board crasher and banger. They still have pockets full of draft choices and need to somehow use them and not disrupt the current roster too much to get the 5 position filled.
As far as yesterdays game is concerned - no team is going to win if their 2nd team/bench strength lets the opponent out rebound and pick them to pieces. Stevens, in my opinion, was not over his head - I think he was stunned as to how his team was getting beat up on the boards. That game should have been a Celtics victory - IT was going to get at least 35 while playing with a heavy heart and thought his teammates would rally around him.
While I liked him at OK State, I absolutely love Marcus Smart in the green and white. He is a fearless defender and can be an offensive catalyst - just needs to be more consistent with his shot.

Reaction Score
Good point. I think Giannis will develop a level of physicality and playmaking that KD won't approach but he can only hope to be half the shooter of KD.

Physicality and playmaking as in being a more explosive athlete and better passer? Because I'd say Durant (last year and this) is actually not even a finesse player anymore, and has been a great iso/playmaker guy for awhile now.

Reaction Score

Did he really fill a need though? He's not a main scoring option and he's a weak rebounder/rim protector for his position. The main value in signing Horford (IMO) is that it might make another legitimate star more likely to sign with Boston (or be willing to go to Boston via trade), but that's something that remains to be seen. Otherwise it was just throwing max money at somewhat of a name who might not even be a #3 scoring option and who definitely isn't a prolific rebounder/rim protector.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Physicality and playmaking as in being a more explosive athlete and better passer? Because I'd say Durant (last year and this) is actually not even a finesse player anymore, and has been a great iso/playmaker guy for awhile now.

I get both points, I think I'd agree though that Giannis has the Lebron/PG style of playmaker mold in a large body, whereas KD obv can but he's a scorer and shooter most of all.

I admittedly haven't watched a ton of NBA this year but I always follow it...I'm excited for GIannis, have been since I first read about him leading up to the draft.

Reaction Score
I get both points, I think I'd agree though that Giannis has the Lebron/PG style of playmaker mold in a large body, whereas KD obv can but he's a scorer and shooter most of all.

I admittedly haven't watched a ton of NBA this year but I always follow it...I'm excited for GIannis, have been since I first read about him leading up to the draft.

That's why I was asking him what he meant specifically. Both are great playmakers in a general sense, Durant is a scorer who can also distribute and Giannis is more of a passer who is also adding an offensive repertoire. Giannis + shooting is basically Durant (with better passing, though it seems unlikely Giannis ever becomes the pure shooter Durant is).

Reaction Score
You know it's playoff time when Brad Stevens looks in completely over his head.
I think this is a bit overplayed. He's almost too good a regular season coach.

His first playoffs, two years ago, were against the LeBron Cavs, and that Boston team had no right to even make the playoffs. Can't hold 0-4 against him there.

Last year, again, they were the 5 seed, but not really that good, and it went 6 games. Not really under-achieving.

This year isn't really that different, if you ask me. I think they'll pull out the Chicago series, but that will be about their level. To go deep in the playoffs you have to have the best player on the floor, and much as I enjoy Isaiah, they will never have the best player on the floor in a series. Their roster is good, but filled with 3rd and 4th best players on a championship roster (though their bench was awful yesterday).

Reaction Score

^^^THIS

Reaction Score
I think this is a bit overplayed. He's almost too good a regular season coach.

I think that's more on the roster than his coaching. This team just doesn't have the talent it needs for the postseason. This is also where we are in today's NBA, with current landscape of "PnR, space-the-floor, shoot a million threes" you can be a really good regular season team with a roster like Boston, Atlanta a few years back, Toronto, etc but still have little to no hope in the playoffs. This Boston team is a regular season stud but everyone knows they have zero chance of winning a championship even as the #1 seed in the East.

As much as I love the NBA this is why I can't watch regular season games outside of my favorite team, it's basically meaningless. It's also why the playoffs are absolutely amazing.

Reaction Score
He gave the Celtics a "name" but I am not sure his style of play is what the CMen really needed. Horford is a 4, plays like a 4 and wants nothing to do with being the big man (5) in the rotation. This team cries for a talented true big man - someone who can dump the ball to and will create his shot or pass out. Above all they need a true board crasher and banger. They still have pockets full of draft choices and need to somehow use them and not disrupt the current roster too much to get the 5 position filled.
As far as yesterdays game is concerned - no team is going to win if their 2nd team/bench strength lets the opponent out rebound and pick them to pieces. Stevens, in my opinion, was not over his head - I think he was stunned as to how his team was getting beat up on the boards. That game should have been a Celtics victory - IT was going to get at least 35 while playing with a heavy heart and thought his teammates would rally around him.
While I liked him at OK State, I absolutely love Marcus Smart in the green and white. He is a fearless defender and can be an offensive catalyst - just needs to be more consistent with his shot.
.....sounds like Andre Drummond would be a perfect resolution for the Celts, just how do they get him

Reaction Score
I think that's more on the roster than his coaching. This team just doesn't have the talent it needs for the postseason. This is also where we are in today's NBA, with current landscape of "PnR, space-the-floor, shoot a million threes" you can be a really good regular season team with a roster like Boston, Atlanta a few years back, Toronto, etc but still have little to no hope in the playoffs. This Boston team is a regular season stud but everyone knows they have zero chance of winning a championship even as the #1 seed in the East.

As much as I love the NBA this is why I can't watch regular season games outside of my favorite team, it's basically meaningless. It's also why the playoffs are absolutely amazing.
Right, that was my poorly put point. He's a great coach who got a mediocre roster to the #1 seed in the East. But you can't win a title if Isaiah is your best player. Can't be done. He should be your third best player, Horford your fourth. Crowder, Bradley, Smart--all those players can be your fourth best player on a title team. Jaylen may grow into a 3rd best player.

If they nail the next two drafts, they'll be fine, and start to be able to convert in the playoffs. But they aren't there yet.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Brad Stevens' coaching is now in question? Wow, that's peak 2017, specifically peak 2017 boneyard.

NBA is all about stars taking over games/series. IT is a star, Horford is an All Star, but as others have stated, they don't have an all-time great, much less 2 to take over.

IT can do plenty on offense, but think back to guys who have carried their teams to rings. (a) There aren't THAT many guys, and (b) they do anything and everything to take over. This Celtics team isn't equipped that way.

Long story short: Stevens' coaching? Please.

Reaction Score
No, but be realistic, he has 2 playoff wins, never won a series. He's a good coach, but the accolades are extreme for the actual accomplishments.

It would be a pretty big blemish to lose in the 1st round to an 8 seed.

Hopefully they avoid that.

Brad Stevens' coaching is now in question? Wow, that's peak 2017, specifically peak 2017 boneyard.

NBA is all about stars taking over games/series. IT is a star, Horford is an All Star, but as others have stated, they don't have an all-time great, much less 2 to take over.

IT can do plenty on offense, but think back to guys who have carried their teams to rings. (a) There aren't THAT many guys, and (b) they do anything and everything to take over. This Celtics team isn't equipped that way.

Long story short: Stevens' coaching? Please.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
.....sounds like Andre Drummond would be a perfect resolution for the Celts, just how do they get him[/QUOTE]

He will have to correct the free throw monkey
Would hate to see the Celts have to deal with the hack-a-Drummond thing
If only the kid would work on the FT issue but from what I hear he doesn't think it a priority in doing so and Van Gundy closes his eyes to it
His performance after the All Star break was less than mediocre

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I doubt the Celtics want to give up assets now for Drummond. The whole Celtics rebuild feels like they are gearing up to be dominant in the East once Lebron's time has passed in 4 years or so.
However they have cap space, and lots of it, especially after next season.
I've heard many speculate, some informed some not, that Hayward could very well opt out of Utah this summer and sign with the Celtics.
Also Blake Griffin can opt out and become an unrestricted free agent after this season. Things have been pretty stagnant with the Clippers since CP3, Jordan and Griffin were united. You'd have to think Blake is considering his options, although it's hard to imagine anyway getting up and leaving the city of Los Angeles for Boston.

Also, if the Celtics do indeed end up with the 1 or 2 pick in the draft in June, and take Ball or Fultz, I think there's a very real possibility Isaiah is traded.
His contract will be up after 2017/18, he's on a very team friendly contract right now, and he will be demanding max money (as he's already pretty much stated after Horford was signed). I don't think he's worth max money. Love the guy and his offensive ability, but he's also 5'9" and a defensive liability, don't think that type of player deserves 5 years, $150 mil or whatever it is. If they can convince him to sign for far less, then that's a different story.
Rather have Ball/Fultz for the future rather than a 30 year old 5'9" point guard who is making $30 mil a year. Plus they could surely get a tidy return for IT.

Reaction Score
Not sure they could get much for IT for the same reasons you wouldn't want to sign him to a max deal, which I agree with.

The key is Fultz, I guess Ball could be a possibility too, but prefer Fultz and might consider trading down and grabbing either Issac, Jackson or Tatum then and moving Crowder in the offseason

The reports on Zizic are very encouring and he could play a lot next year.

I don't think it will take 4 more years of LeBron before the East is open, 2, 3 max and maybe sooner.

And the East is quietly becoming very good, arguably deeper than the West.

3 years from now you could have

Cavs, C's, Wiz, Raptors, Bucks, Philly, Pacers (assuming George resigns) all close to or as good as West's #2+

And others like Heat, Bulls, Pistons, even Knicks, Hawks, Magic will be dry competitive

I doubt the Celtics want to give up assets now for Drummond. The whole Celtics rebuild feels like they are gearing up to be dominant in the East once Lebron's time has passed in 4 years or so.
However they have cap space, and lots of it, especially after next season.
I've heard many speculate, some informed some not, that Hayward could very well opt out of Utah this summer and sign with the Celtics.
Also Blake Griffin can opt out and become an unrestricted free agent after this season. Things have been pretty stagnant with the Clippers since CP3, Jordan and Griffin were united. You'd have to think Blake is considering his options, although it's hard to imagine anyway getting up and leaving the city of Los Angeles for Boston.

Also, if the Celtics do indeed end up with the 1 or 2 pick in the draft in June, and take Ball or Fultz, I think there's a very real possibility Isaiah is traded.
His contract will be up after 2017/18, he's on a very team friendly contract right now, and he will be demanding max money (as he's already pretty much stated after Horford was signed). I don't think he's worth max money. Love the guy and his offensive ability, but he's also 5'9" and a defensive liability, don't think that type of player deserves 5 years, $150 mil or whatever it is. If they can convince him to sign for far less, then that's a different story.
Rather have Ball/Fultz for the future rather than a 30 year old 5'9" point guard who is making $30 mil a year. Plus they could surely get a tidy return for IT.

Reaction Score
Right, that was my poorly put point. He's a great coach who got a mediocre roster to the #1 seed in the East. But you can't win a title if Isaiah is your best player. Can't be done. He should be your third best player, Horford your fourth. Crowder, Bradley, Smart--all those players can be your fourth best player on a title team. Jaylen may grow into a 3rd best player.

If they nail the next two drafts, they'll be fine, and start to be able to convert in the playoffs. But they aren't there yet.

If the Celts decide to build purely through the draft (which I hope they do) that means Isaiah, Horford, and Crowder won't be on the next Celts team that truly contends. I think Ainge sees them purely as bridge guys unless something crazy were to happen and a guy like Westbrook falls into their lap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom