NBA Playoffs 2023

why do you like the celtics?

• sixers

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • celtics

Votes: 65 82.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
StatMuse on Twitter: "Jayson Tatum this playoffs: — 1st in missed shots — 1st in turnovers And hasn’t made a 4th quarter shot this series. https://post original url/y06I2ShGO3" / Twitter

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Mazzulla had a brutal press conference. Chuck makes a great point. The coach can’t take all the responsibility.

Tatum and Brown have epically choked this series.

Reaction Score
Mazzulla had a brutal press conference. Chuck makes a great point. The coach can’t take all the responsibility.

Mazulla is simply in over his head. He should be coaching a Division 2 team, not the Celtics. Doesn't know how to make adjustments and has zero leadership skills. The C's are in the ECF despite of him, not because of him. The most blame has to go to Brad Stevens and Wyc for making him the head coach.

All year, the C's know how to win one way. By being a volume 3point team, and making a certain percentage of them. Ironically, they're an average at best 3point shooting team. Their defense was average all year long. In the playoffs you need to win in multiple ways, and the C's simply can't. So, Mazulla's strategy was flawed from the beginning. It's too bad because the C's have the talent to win multiple ways. The coach doesn't know what he's doing.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This shot chart from Tatum is just crazy. Just allergic to the mid range and then he wonders why he plays so up and down.

Guy gives himself no room to have bad shooting nights (that will 100% happen) from three.
IMG_0895.png

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This shot chart from Tatum is just crazy. Just allergic to the mid range and then he wonders why he plays so up and down.

Guy gives himself no room to have bad shooting nights (that will 100% happen) from three. View attachment 88392
For comparison sake, Jamal Murray’s shot chart. Who actually shoots a pretty good three ball himself and has been killing it.

IMG_0897.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
pretty hard to believe what I'm watching.

Had I put down any money on Celtics money line, assuming they'd at least get 1 in a 2-0 hole, I'd have been SURE I was mush.
Putrid. Bad coaching, bad shooting, bad ball handling, bad defense, mentally weak as Chuck said. Hard to be sure exactly where to start in adjusting things. It's like looking at a broken window and trying to reassemble it.

Reaction Score
I was willing to give Mazzulla the benefit of the doubt when the Celtics didn't get a shot off in that Sixers game that they lost, but he's looking completely lost on the sideline while his team gets ripped to shreds now

On one hand, making the ECF as a rookie head coach should be considered impressive. On the other hand, I'm starting to wonder if they made it in spite of him, not because of him. He's younger than Al Horford so he'll learn with time and experience....assuming the front office allows him that time. Can hardly fault a 34 year old rookie head coach for getting schooled by Spo, but at the end of the day he is the coach of the Boston Celtics. That comes with expectations that are not being met

Not 100% on Mazzulla though. Seeing a lot on Twitter from Celtics fans about this not happening under Ime Udoka. Strongly disagree, the Celtics were up 2-1 in the finals last year before the Warriors punked them 3 games in a row, including an absolute clobbering in game 6 on their home floor. That was a year after getting absolutely beat down by the Nets but to be fair, that was expected since Brown was injured and it was the Nets Big 3

It seems soft play and meltdowns is a feature of the current Boston Celtics. Coaching? Culture? Star players being 25/26 years old? Not sure what the issue is. I feel like Jaylen Brown won't be a Boston Celtic next season, unless something crazy happens in the next week

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I was willing to give Mazzulla the benefit of the doubt when the Celtics didn't get a shot off in that Sixers game that they lost, but he's looking completely lost on the sideline while his team gets ripped to shreds now

On one hand, making the ECF as a rookie head coach should be considered impressive. On the other hand, I'm starting to wonder if they made it in spite of him, not because of him. He's younger than Al Horford so he'll learn with time and experience....assuming the front office allows him that time. Can hardly fault a 34 year old rookie head coach for getting schooled by Spo, but at the end of the day he is the coach of the Boston Celtics. That comes with expectations that are not being met

Not 100% on Mazzulla though. Seeing a lot on Twitter from Celtics fans about this not happening under Ime Udoka. Strongly disagree, the Celtics were up 2-1 in the finals last year before the Warriors punked them 3 games in a row, including an absolute clobbering in game 6 on their home floor. That was a year after getting absolutely beat down by the Nets but to be fair, that was expected since Brown was injured and it was the Nets Big 3

It seems soft play and meltdowns is a feature of the current Boston Celtics. Coaching? Culture? Star players being 25/26 years old? Not sure what the issue is. I feel like Jaylen Brown won't be a Boston Celtic next season, unless something crazy happens in the next week

I’ve heard from people that may know that Tatum and Brown don’t love each other. Maybe just on court not meshing, not sure. But I think they’re going to move him too.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’ve heard from people that may know that Tatum and Brown don’t love each other. Maybe just on court not meshing, not sure. But I think they’re going to move him too.
That's been a rumor for years. The two of them deny it of course. At times they play brilliantly together. At other times, it's ugly. I watched a Heat team where everyone trusted every other guy to make a shot. I've seen the Celtics play that way most of the year. Sometimes White or Brogdan led them in scoring. Move the ball, move off the ball, get good looks. It was unstoppable.

Now they look like a team that has no faith in each other at all. On defense they are in complete disarray. All those guys are good defenders and the team defense is terrible. Bad switches, bad double teams, just not getting it done.

So is trading Brown the answer? Or Smart? I don't know. I love Al, but they need to get younger at PF with an athletic guy who can shoot. I would worry about getting the right return if they move those guys. Brogdan is a hell of a player, but he looked lifeless out there. Something else is broken.

Reaction Score
Mazzulla has got to go. Brad takes this team to the finals, as does Ime.

I'm not sure about trades, but I dislike Brown on a personal level, so I wouldn't be against moving him for a couple decent pieces that fit Tatum's timeline for a championship.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

In all candor Mazzulla with that press conference showed more backbone than the entire Celtics team has shown this series. He easily could have taken a small amount of blame and then deflected. Instead he placed it entirely on his own shoulders, protecting (as best as he could, considering their pathetic effort) his players.

Reaction Score
If you plan on giving Tatum and brown the max (and they both made all nba team) that’s well over a half a billion dollars. With that payroll and a pretty talented supporting cast, they need to make the finals and win a championship in the next 2 years. Mazzulla will have to be replaced if that’s the route they plan on going.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Mazzulla has got to go. Brad takes this team to the finals, as does Ime.

I'm not sure about trades, but I dislike Brown on a personal level, so I wouldn't be against moving him for a couple decent pieces that fit Tatum's timeline for a championship.
You dislike Brown’s game on a personal level or you dislike the person?!
His free throw struggles are annoying & his priority as a scorer but not lockdown defender gets to 80% off who he could be.

Brown & Tatum combo isn’t the issue, Al Horford as the only reliable big is the problem. They’ve needed another capable tough big for at least two years. Why they have Peyton P who is worth something instead of a big is a GM fail.

You can go with Mazzula but if you do you surround him with very experienced over qualified assistantS!

Reaction Score
His free throw struggles are annoying & his priority as a scorer but not lockdown defender gets to 80% off who he could be.

Brown & Tatum combo isn’t the issue, Al Horford as the only reliable big is the problem. They’ve needed another capable tough big for at least two years. Why they have Peyton P who is worth something instead of a big is a GM fail.

You can go with Mazzula but if you do you surround him with very experienced over qualified assistantS!

I don't like Brown being a faux-intellectual dufus and apologist for bigots. I'm a big fan of his game, however. I think he's about as high level of a 2nd-option as you can get in the league.

Reaction Score

Guy gives himself no room to have bad shooting nights (that will 100% happen) from three. View attachment 88392

Higher variance shot game to game. There has got to be a nerd stat that captures game to game consistency. Seems like guys who can get to their mid range shot at will are more consistent game to game and peak Kawhi was the best.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

He can be a lock down defender when he wants to be. Was huge in shutting down Harden. Tatum can too, again, when he wants to be. Same with Smart.

I thought they had moved on from the egos and hero ball, but this series has been nothing but that. They lost to the Heat a few years back and Hayward was the only guy running the offense. It looked a lot like this. Too many contested shots, too many drives in traffic looking for foul calls, not enough motion or trust.

They haven't figured out how to use Rob, and force things to him. He rarely gets the ball off P&R like we see Bam doing, even though he should be effective doing that. White is a nice player who disappears at times, probably because they stop giving him the ball. Brogdan is a very good player too.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Higher variance shot game to game. There has got to be a nerd stat that captures game to game consistency. Seems like guys who can get to their mid range shot at will are more consistent game to game and peak Kawhi was the best.
It’s the most unstoppable shot in basketball when someone masters it. Not much you can do about a great midrange game.

At that point the game just becomes about getting to your spot on the court. Paul Pierce closed A LOT of games with that FT elbow jumper. Jayson Tatum’s “spot” seems to be a side step three. Which is mind boggling for someone 6’9 and used to have a great post up game that he’s just abandoned.

Reaction Score
3 quality guards, but the sum is less than the parts. An easy move is to trade Smart. As much as he claims he is, he is a not a starting PG on a Title team. He's not a good shooter or facilitator, and he is prone to a lot of TOs. He shouldn't be shooting the shot with the game on the line, but yet he has constantly these playoffs because smart coaching on the opponent end lets him. The Smart apologists will say he hustles and plays lockdown defense. I don't see that at all this year. Reckless is a better description. I would bring in a quality veteran PG who can lead the offense. That would help the J's.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s the most unstoppable shot in basketball when someone masters it. Not much you can do about a great midrange game.

At that point the game just becomes about getting to your spot on the court. Paul Pierce closed A LOT of games with that FT elbow jumper. Jayson Tatum’s “spot” seems to be a side step three. Which is mind boggling for someone 6’9 and used to have a great post up game that he’s just abandoned.

Not only is a midrange good by itself, but it makes all the other shot better when the defense is worried about the midrange. Most pro zones don’t even defend the high post because no one takes that shot.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one getting UConn vibes from Miami?

They seem to have all the perfect parts to win the Championship. The parts play well together at the right time with none really bigger than the other (sans Jimmy). Their best player is not a ball hog, and constantly looks for his teammates, getting them involved. I've heard also that they all get along together on and off the court. Total team.

Reaction Score
The offense and game plan needs to be revamped this off-season. The C's are trying to copy the Warriors scheme, but the problem is they don't have the talent to pull it off. High volume 3s works only if you have a lot of great shooters, which these C's don't
Then, there is no Plan B. The result is ugly as were seeing now. Spo is making a mockery of C's scheme. Mazulla looks like an analytics guy who when it doesn't work , he doesn't know how to make real time adjustments.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The offense and game plan needs to be revamped this off-season. The C's are trying to copy the Warriors scheme, but the problem is they don't have the talent to pull it off. High volume 3s works only if you have a lot of great shooters, which these C's don't
Then, there is no Plan B. The result is ugly as were seeing now. Spo is making a mockery of C's scheme. Mazulla looks like an analytics guy who when it doesn't work , he doesn't know how to make real time adjustments.

I mean, the Celtics shot 38% on the season at a high volume. The Celtics may not have Steph & Klay but everybody can shoot from 3; their worst shooters are Smart & Jaylen, both of whom make over 33% of their shots.

FWIW, the Celts are making exactly the same % of 3s in the postseason as they made in the regular season (37.7%). They've just been terrible against Miami.

The problem is, as you say, that they don't have much beyond that. I agree, the season needs a top-down post-mortem.

I'm tired of getting outcoached by Spo...

And Mazulla's got some 'splainin to do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom