NBA Discussion 2016/2017 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NBA Discussion 2016/2017

Reaction Score
He's been hurt. This is literally his first game all year at 100% health.

They're not going to trade MKG. I'm sure they'll trade Hawes if they can get anything half-decent in return.

As for Batum, he's always been a smidge better than average defensively, and a wonderful all-around offensive player. I'm sure once he's back from injury (and Marvin Williams) Clifford will figure out how to rotate all of those wings, plus Kemba & Sessions and end up a top 4 team in the East.
Sessions stinks and they couldn't even get a bag of chips in return for Hawes. The Hornets have some good pieces but those certainly aren't two of them.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
No need to be patronizing. Batum has long been considered a high end defensive player, his passing ability has only been more recently recognized and utilized. He also held Melo to 7-25 last night...
I'm not being patronizing -- I legitimately thought you were mixing up Batum & MKG, and after that quote I'm sure of it, since Batum did not play last night and MKG guarded Carmelo every second he was on the floor.

Batum missed the game with a corneal abrasion after getting slapped in the face near the end of Friday's game at MSG.

Two other things:

First, Batum's all-around game has been a visible on the court from day one and in the stats for five years now -- he's en route to becoming the only forward in the league besides LeBron to average 6 apg or better for each of the last five years. More than the numbers, though, is that he has multiple ways of picking up assists (primarily through the pick-and-roll w/ Zeller, but he's also got excellent timing for finding shooters coming off of screens and is good-not-great at passing out of low block doubles).

His rebound rate is pretty good for a wing, and he's talented enough to score from the block when posted against a smaller player. This has all been the case since 2012, when Portland first starting using him as a point forward.

Second, you don't have to take my word for it re: his defense:

Read This from last year

Here's similar stuff from Zach Lowe, going all the way back to 2012/13

And here are his advanced stats from NBA.com and Basketball-Reference.com.

As for naming five SFs who are better defensively...
1. Kawhi
2. LeBron
3. Butler
4. Paul George
5. KD
6. Giannis
7. MKG
8. Crowder
9. Mbah a Moute
10. Roberson
11. Ariza

Gordon swaps between PF & SF, so I left him off the list just because. Harrison Barnes has been better the last four years, but definitely hasn't been better this year, so I didn't list him. I personally think Bazemore is better defensively than Batum, but he also has a more obvious weakness (he's useless against big wings), so I didn't list him. Sefolosha would be top 5 on the above list but he comes off the bench and plays limited minutes, so I didn't list him. Rudy and Gordon Hayward belong in the convo as well.

So yeah... somwhere between like 12th & 17th in the league. I think he's a smidge above average.

Sessions stinks and they couldn't even get a bag of chips in return for Hawes. The Hornets have some good pieces but those certainly aren't two of them.
Sessions is useful when he's on the court at the same time as Batum. Not saying they wouldn't upgrade him if they could (obviously they would), but having a shoot-first PG on the floor is easier if he's paired with a wing who can initiate the offense.

Reaction Score
I'm not being patronizing -- I legitimately thought you were mixing up Batum & MKG, and after that quote I'm sure of it, since Batum did not play last night and MKG guarded Carmelo every second he was on the floor.

No, not patronizing at all...

Two other things:

First, Batum's all-around game has been a visible on the court from day one and in the stats for five years now -- he's en route to becoming the only forward in the league besides LeBron to average 6 apg or better for each of the last five years.

He's talented enough to score from the block when posted against a smaller player.

You were able to see that Batum was a good passer years before his coaches? Pretty rich coming from a guy who links to BBRef and NBA stats pages and then proceeds to completely botch how many assists he's been averaging.

He also doesn't have much of a low post game.

Second, you don't have to take my word for it re: his defense:

Read This from last year

Here's similar stuff from Zach Lowe, going all the way back to 2012/13

And here are his advanced stats from NBA.com and Basketball-Reference.com.

Did you actually read the entire article in your first link? Were you assuming I wouldn't? The writer both explains any critiques by acknowledging the grind of an NBA regular season, and then goes on to praise Batum for his defensive work in the playoffs. The Zach Lowe article is fairly vague and doesn't provide any hard statistics, and both your advanced stats links didn't take me to the correct pages. If this is all that you can find to make your case, then it's probably not a case worth trying to make.

As for naming five SFs who are better defensively...
1. Kawhi
2. LeBron
3. Butler
4. Paul George
5. KD
6. Giannis
7. MKG
8. Crowder
9. Mbah a Moute
10. Roberson
11. Ariza

So yeah... somwhere between like 12th & 17th in the league. I think he's a smidge above average.

1. Sure
2. Maybe if this were 2011
3. Definitely too early to tell
4. Sure
5. No
6. No
7. Sure
8. Sure
9. Really a starter in name only and usually isn't even on the court at the end of games when the team is up
10. See 3
11. No

So yeah... About 5th. I think he's high end.

Reaction Score
No, not patronizing at all...

You were able to see that Batum was a good passer years before his coaches? Pretty rich coming from a guy who links to BBRef and NBA stats pages and then proceeds to completely botch how many assists he's been averaging.

He also doesn't have much of a low post game.

Did you actually read the entire article in your first link? Were you assuming I wouldn't? The writer both explains any critiques by acknowledging the grind of an NBA regular season, and then goes on to praise Batum for his defensive work in the playoffs. The Zach Lowe article is fairly vague and doesn't provide any hard statistics, and both your advanced stats links didn't take me to the correct pages. If this is all that you can find to make your case, then it's probably not a case worth trying to make.

1. Sure
2. Maybe if this were 2011
3. Definitely too early to tell
4. Sure
5. No
6. No
7. Sure
8. Sure
9. Really a starter in name only and usually isn't even on the court at the end of games when the team is up
10. See 3
11. No

So yeah... About 5th. I think he's high end.
All those guys are better defensively than Batum.

Reaction Score
Someone trying to explain Ramon Sessions usefulness and someone saying Batum is a better defender than LeBron. This board is always a good laugh when it comes to the NBA.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Batum is a well above average defender league wide, but he is not a top 5 defender at the SF position. That position has the best athletes and defenders in the entire league.

Reaction Score
It's really hard to critique a players D, even if you watch a ton of hoops. I would say that all of us are guessing or depending on the opinions of others who are guessing. Even advanced stats lie a lot in regards to defensive impact. It's only easy to tell who is really bad, or incredibly good, like Kawhi or an engaged LeBron.

Batum had a better reputation as a defender earlier in his career but he is still regarded as pretty good. I doubt any of us are breaking down his tape.

He has always had a rep as a playmaker, even in Portland, where he didn't have many opportunities. I don't think many were surprised by his different role when he began with Charlotte because he always flashed this ability.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
It's really hard to critique a players D, even if you watch a ton of hoops. I would say that all of us are guessing or depending on the opinions of others who are guessing. Even advanced stats lie a lot in regards to defensive impact. It's only easy to tell who is really bad, or incredibly good, like Kawhi or an engaged LeBron.

Batum had a better reputation as a defender earlier in his career but he is still regarded as pretty good. I doubt any of us are breaking down his tape.

He has always had a rep as a playmaker, even in Portland, where he didn't have many opportunities. I don't think many were surprised by his different role when he began with Charlotte because he always flashed this ability.
Ok, but it doesn't take much "guessing" to know Batum isn't a top 5 defensive player at his position professor.

Reaction Score
Ok, but it doesn't take much "guessing" to know Batum isn't a top 5 defensive player at his position professor.

I am talking about list making.

I don't think Batum is top 5 and I imagine most don't but I'm not going to pretend I watch more than 7 or 8 full Hornets games, and they are one of Mt favorite teams.

Reaction Score
No need to be patronizing. Batum has long been considered a high end defensive player, his passing ability has only been more recently recognized and utilized. He also held Melo to 7-25 last night, and even though Kawhi and Melo had good games on him earlier in the week, Leonard is arguably the only nightmare defender at SF anyways, and 2 elite offensive players having good games over the span of a week doesn't take away from the fact that Batum is probably a top 5 defender at his position (among starters). I'd love to discuss if you could propose 5 better.

no he didn't, he doesn't guard the opposing teams best wing. its either marvin or mkg this season. MKG was the guy who forced melo into a rough night, Batum can't be considered a 'high end defensive player' when he is frequently hidden on low usage players. batum is actually a sg too fyi.

He's been hurt. This is literally his first game all year at 100% health.

I know that, look at my post history. Point is I would like to see him share the court with walker more than he did last season. We will probably see him start a lot with marvin out and batum day to day. hopefully he takes advantage.

Reaction Score
All those guys are better defensively than Batum.

Bless your heart.

Someone trying to explain Ramon Sessions usefulness and someone saying Batum is a better defender than LeBron. This board is always a good laugh when it comes to the NBA.

Have you watched LeBron play defense the last 2-3 years?

Batum is a well above average defender league wide, but he is not a top 5 defender at the SF position. That position has the best athletes and defenders in the entire league.

Among starters he is.

Reaction Score
@NielsisGood batum took a step back defensively since joining the hornets, he is more a playmaking guard than he is a two way sf. there are a number of metrics that support this claim, defensive rpm + defensive win shares specifically. I mean, its quite obvious you aren't watching games. few posts above you claimed batum held melo in check and batum wasn't even playing.

Reaction Score
Bless your heart.

Among starters he is.
I've watched about 10 Hornets games this season and a lot more last, what are you basing your opinion off of?

Reaction Score

moving away from alum, this guy is ridiculous. anyone interested in having a statsgasm go look up his per 100 possession numbers, he is on par with Boogie and Anthony davis, and a cut above guys like towns and KP. Wonder how he will look with ben simmons in a month or so.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Bless your heart.

Among starters he is.
Among starters he is? What did you think I was comparing Batum's defensive abilities to the best bench SFs in the league? And here's 5 "starters" at that spot I'd take defending Kobe against a shot for the win:

1. Leonard
2. James
3. Butler
4. George
5. Ariza or Giannis but that's purely off of his inhuman length

Also you've made multiple comments about it "not being 2011" regarding Lebron's defensive ability. Uhhhh, did you watch the guy in the finals just a few months ago? Just because he's aged doesn't mean he isn't still the premier defender in the league. He can legit play all 5 positions, no way in hell Batum is guarding 4s and 5s in crunch time, or even coming close to that chanpionship winning block James had in game 7, even for an old man. He's just built on a whole other level than Batum, and he's one of the smartest players to ever lace them up.

Reaction Score

moving away from alum, this guy is ridiculous. anyone interested in having a statsgasm go look up his per 100 possession numbers, he is on par with Boogie and Anthony davis, and a cut above guys like towns and KP. Wonder how he will look with ben simmons in a month or so.

He's also already got a huge ego it seems

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Making noise and being outspoken are ways young guys build their brand in the league nowadays, I wouldn't take much from it until he starts approaching Draymond Green levels of obnoxiousness.

Reaction Score
Initially, I didn't love Joel's attitude but I recently listened to a podcast he did with Woj and I did a 180 on him. Very humble, very good dude. He comes across as a really a shy goofball who is trying to find himself more than anything.
great great listen. Also enjoyed the scola one.

Reaction Score
great great listen. Also enjoyed the scola one.

Agreed. Got Draymond queued up as well. Really dislike the guy, so looking to see if he changed my perception like Joel did.

Reaction Score
Initially, I didn't love Joel's attitude but I recently listened to a podcast he did with Woj and I did a 180 on him. Very humble, very good dude. He comes across as a really a shy goofball who is trying to find himself more than anything.
Yeah I guess I said that with not too much thought put into it. I just saw something where he commented on Chandler Parson's instagram post a while back the day before they were gonna play, saying "Gonna cook your a** tomorrow" and thought that was a little childish. Also the whole R Jefferson thing annoyed be a bit, Rich always seemed to be a great guy doing his job silently, gotta give the vet his respect.

Reaction Score
Yeah I guess I said that with not too much thought put into it. I just saw something where he commented on Chandler Parson's instagram post a while back the day before they were gonna play, saying "Gonna cook your a** tomorrow" and thought that was a little childish. Also the whole R Jefferson thing annoyed be a bit, Rich always seemed to be a great guy doing his job silently, gotta give the vet his respect.
he wasn't silent, he was mocking embiid for turning it over on the previous possession. he said, " you tried to step through (double team) thats what happens". heard it on the broadcast. embiid wouldn't randomly rub it, i would do the same lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom