Naheim Alleyne to St. John's | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Naheim Alleyne to St. John's

Reaction Score
The vitriol towards a guy like Alleyene, who helped us win a championship, is amazing! He's just trying to make the best out of the situation he finds himself in. We have no idea of the circumstances surrounding his departure. He may have been told that he won't have the increased minutes next year that he was expecting or hoping for and therefore, if he wants to showcase his talents for the pros, might be better off somewhere else next season. So it may not have been all his own decision to move on. It is kind of ironic that he made his announcement to leave the day before Timberlake's visit was starting. Coincidence? I think more like the staff wanted to make it clear to NT that there was not only a need for a sharpshooter, but a spot open for him and not just saying there would be.

Reaction Score
The vitriol towards a guy like Alleyene, who helped us win a championship, is amazing! He's just trying to make the best out of the situation he finds himself in. We have no idea of the circumstances surrounding his departure. He may have been told that he won't have the increased minutes next year that he was expecting or hoping for and therefore, if he wants to showcase his talents for the pros, might be better off somewhere else next season. So it may not have been all his own decision to move on. It is kind of ironic that he made his announcement to leave the day before Timberlake's visit was starting. Coincidence? I think more like the staff wanted to make it clear to NT that there was not only a need for a sharpshooter, but a spot open for him and not just saying there would be.
Certainly Naheim can make whatever move he wants to increase his playing time and opportunities. My issue (not that it matters) is how quickly he settled on St. Johns after adding his name to the portal. Like going out with your best friend's ex-girlfriend days after they broke up. Nothing wrong with it by some standards but it seems unseemly.

Reaction Score

An upperclassmen with a projected bench role should always get our support moving on, even if it's to a conference rival. Naheim clearly loves playing ball--nothing wrong with going to a familiar conference and getting 25+ a game.

Even at the D2 level where I played, transferring in-conference was big. Familiar gyms, familiar players, systems for reporting, etc. All that stuff matters.

Reaction Score
Yeah I do but he definitely is limited offensively and not a great 3 point shooter but he does play great d. Either way it hurts he is playing for St. John's. why can't these kids go to a different confrernece.
He was a solid 3 point shooter for 3 years at Va Tech. Didn't shoot well from 3 for us up until early February. At that point he seemed to shoot pretty darn well. 3.5 years out of 4 of solid 3 point shooting. He even showed a solid mid-range game and at the end of the year, improved taking it to the hoop and finishing at the rim. I don't consider him limited offensively. I think it just seems that way because he had trouble adjusting to a new team, role, system, etc..and didn't shoot well the first 2.5 months. As far as him going to St. Johns, I think it goes without saying that Alleyne has to do what's best for him. Yeah it kinda stinks as a fan, but looking at the bigger picture, what's best for the player, especially one that helped us get #5 is what's most important.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Certainly Naheim can make whatever move he wants to increase his playing time and opportunities. My issue (not that it matters) is how quickly he settled on St. Johns after adding his name to the portal. Like going out with your best friend's ex-girlfriend days after they broke up. Nothing wrong with it by some standards but it seems unseemly.
Unless the best friend gave his blessing. People sometimes move on amicably and supportive and not always possessive and vindictive.

But your first point is the most important one.

No individual would hesitate going to a rival company if it was an advancement for themselves. If a friend criticized that individual for doing it what type of friend would that person be?

Reaction Score
Where is this vitriol y’all keep referencing. I have seen nothing but kind words. The ones who don’t like the move don’t like it because of how grateful they are to Alleyne. No one is trashing the kid.

Reaction Score
When you have a career 1000+pt scorer.. Great two way player.. Key Championship role player.. Moving onto a program in BE where he will get more PT to finish his career.. Wish him well and good luck at your next stop. I'm sure he and DH had a straight and honest discussion about next season and the competition for minutes.

Doesn't it also indicate the caliber of talent that is being brought into our Program via recruiting and portal targets?? Radical difference between now and a few years ago in Storrs .. I'll take this scenario any day.. Replenish the talent and reload.. Its what Championship Programs do.

Reaction Score
If he wanted to stay in the top college basketball conference, stay near his girlfriend and also play a lot of minutes, he probably chose his best option. I'm not sure why he would want to wait longer and possibly have someone else grab his spot. He didn't just learn of UConn's plan yesterday, he's had a few days to consider his options I'm sure, so this wasn't spur of the moment.

Reaction Score
Wish he was staying, and if he's leaving, wish it wasn't in conference. Oh well. Hope he has a great deal of success and goes 0-2 against UConn next year.

Reaction Score
Where is this vitriol y’all keep referencing. I have seen nothing but kind words. The ones who don’t like the move don’t like it because of how grateful they are to Alleyne. No one is trashing the kid.
Are you serious? Let's compare your reactions. Take a look your words above, " I have seen nothing but kind words" and then those below from your initial reaction. There's no sarcasm or tongue-in-cheek expressions in there. It's clear below that those were NOT kind words!
I know we’re supposed to say nice things. And I have. But this is disgusting. I can’t root for him next season now. It will have to wait another year. Nahiem is the enemy for 12 more months

Reaction Score
It might be a great move for Alleyne. Billy Donovan, Marty Conlon, Reggie Hansen, and Reese Gaines went from first year Pitino teams to the NBA, and I don’t think anyone would have expected it except maybe for Gaines.

Reaction Score
Unless the best friend gave his blessing. People sometimes move on amicably and supportive and not always possessive and vindictive.

But your first point is the most important one.

No individual would hesitate going to a rival company if it was an advancement for themselves. If a friend criticized that individual for doing it what type of friend would that person be?
My final word since I am in the minority. When going to a rival company there is often a non-compete clause for a limited amount of time. My main issue is Nahiem going to a team in the same conference. I know it happens all the time now but it will take me a while to adjust.

The baseball team had Casey Dana transfer from Seton Hall so I am aware of the new changes in collegiate sports and it often benefits UConn.

Reaction Score
He was a solid 3 point shooter for 3 years at Va Tech. Didn't shoot well from 3 for us up until early February. At that point he seemed to shoot pretty darn well. 3.5 years out of 4 of solid 3 point shooting. He even showed a solid mid-range game and at the end of the year, improved taking it to the hoop and finishing at the rim. I don't consider him limited offensively. I think it just seems that way because he had trouble adjusting to a new team, role, system, etc..and didn't shoot well the first 2.5 months. As far as him going to St. Johns, I think it goes without saying that Alleyne has to do what's best for him. Yeah it kinda stinks as a fan, but looking at the bigger picture, what's best for the player, especially one that helped us get #5 is what's most important.
I really wonder what happened to him for most of the season offensively. Maybe a lack of confidence? He often looked rushed and nervous. Three years at VT shooting 39%, 41%, and 37% from three yet most of the year here he was under 30% (actually finished at 30.5% so got back above 30)

But agreed. He turned it up when it mattered the most. Down the stretch that midrange pull-up was money every time. 45% from three in the month of March and amazing defense all year round. Didn’t think he’d come in as such a lockdown defender but was crucial all year

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My final word since I am in the minority. When going to a rival company there is often a non-compete clause for a limited amount of time. My main issue is Nahiem going to a team in the same conference. I know it happens all the time now but it will take me a while to adjust.

The baseball team had Casey Dana transfer from Seton Hall so I am aware of the new changes in collegiate sports and it often benefits UConn.
My statement was meant to offer a different perspective to the situation and not an indictment against how you or other individuals feel about the situation.

Reaction Score
I really wonder what happened to him for most of the season offensively. Maybe a lack of confidence? He often looked rushed and nervous. Three years at VT shooting 39%, 41%, and 37% from three yet most of the year here he was under 30% (actually finished at 30.5% so got back above 30)

But agreed. He turned it up when it mattered the most. Down the stretch that midrange pull-up was money every time. 45% from three in the month of March and amazing defense all year round. Didn’t think he’d come in as such a lockdown defender but was crucial all year
Defense is what got us this title but it’s Hurley’s calling card and anyone he puts in the mix has to get that right or they don’t see the floor.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

There is no vitriol at all in this thread. Come on. People are miffed he's going to SJU but there's not a single poster who's seriously impugning him, much less with vitriol. Pretty weird you couldn't understand that AntG's post was tongue-in-cheek -- he said he'll be rooting for him again in a year.

And the people who are miffed aren't annoyed because he's leaving -- I don't think there's a single person suggesting that was a wrong decision -- they're questioning whether he had to go to a conference "rival."

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Nothing like trashing the board or fanbase for cheap likes

Reaction Score
Are you serious? Let's compare your reactions. Take a look your words above, " I have seen nothing but kind words" and then those below from your initial reaction. There's no sarcasm or tongue-in-cheek expressions in there. It's clear below that those were NOT kind words!
This isn't vitriol. This post clearly wasn't 100% serious. Saying I have to wait another 12 months to route for him is unkind? Lmfaoo. Some of us just don't want to play against a UConn champion twice a season. We don't like the move BECAUSE we like Nahiem. It's a simple concept. Vitriol is cruel and bitter criticism. I've seen none of that.

I guess was Tristen Newton said was unkind as well? LOL

Last edited:

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Not unusual for a shooter to need some game time to get going. Perfect example was Hawk in several first halves of the playoffs.

Joey is an anomaly. Hopefully Timberlake has some of Joey’s moxie.

Alleyne needed time to develop that quick confidence. We were lucky it happened. It doesn’t always.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
There is no vitriol at all in this thread. Come on. People are miffed he's going to SJU but there's not a single poster who's seriously impugning him, much less with vitriol. Pretty weird you couldn't understand that AntG's post was tongue-in-cheek -- he said he'll be rooting for him again in a year.

And the people who are miffed aren't annoyed because he's leaving -- I don't think there's a single person suggesting that was a wrong decision -- they're questioning whether he had to go to a conference "rival."
This is the way! :cool:

Reaction Score
If he wants to transfer, I join those thinking in conference is better. We've got former players on Providence, Georgetown and St. John's which makes each of those team's games more interesting to me and makes UConn games against the former Huskies more interesting as well. Plus the fact that UConn is so damn good that it keeps putting transfers into starting roles on in-conference rivals speaks VOLUMES. I'd rather he returned, but this makes some lemonade out of an otherwise bummer.
Pitino has his character flaws for sure, but he is a successful coach and he draws eyeballs. Totally understand the move for Alleyne, its got among the highest upsides.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom