Mushnick of NY Post:Ct Taxpayers/others worried about Ollies grammar | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mushnick of NY Post:Ct Taxpayers/others worried about Ollies grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Phil Mushnick seems to get annoyed when there are black people on his television.

Didn't think anyone could make me laugh from anything in this thread…….beautiful! More OJ clean up…….

Reaction Score
UConn beat Florida last night and is playing for yet another NC…..without 10 McD AA's on their roster……that's the story.

Not the way KO talks…….let's end this frivolity here!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Practice? We talking about Practice? Practice? We talking about Practice here???

Reaction Score
The coaches salaries are paid with athletic department revenues not taxpayer money. This means the money comes from the fans through ticket sales, merchandise sales and TV revenue. I am pretty sure the fans are happy with him.

Reaction Score
Mushnick is at once a bitter old fool and the smart alec middle school wise ass who taunts from the sideline while people are doing things he cannot. I stopped reading him years ago, since all his columns are nothing but predictable heckling. This one is more of the same.

Yes, he is a ....... But I think we should get Ollie copies of that Brit.series- Downton Abb. (sp) to practice and emulate. It will improve his language game tremendously. We must remember that the language game is the last bastian of middleclassness, especially when all the other pillows are fading away into the sunset. This marker of class, race, ethnicity, place of origin and even gender works its tricks to expose the impostures. What else does this old guy have to offer his readers- other then stirring the pot, one more time. Of ourse there are some limits to how creative we can be with our language- so, a bit more attentiveness to general public speaking can only be positive, given the hot seat that is college athletics today (and especially Uconn. Note how quickly he moved from Ollie to the school that educated him and for which/whom he work.POOR GRAMMAR. I CAN SEE IT.) IS IT WHICH OR WHOM? Anyone remember their high school grammar about when and where to use these?

Reaction Score
It is clear now that Mushnick had Florida winning it all in his pool.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As one of those "old white guys", I have no problem with Ollie's speech.

Nelson, for a supposed UCONN fan, you have more negative posts than anyone poster I know or have read. You have trashed Herbst and Manuel and now you go after Ollie. Who's next - Geno with his wise cracks and humor?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Ollie is an educator and part of his job is PR. Written and verbal communication is critical in any job. No one is asking him to be F. Scott Fitzgerald or speak like a seasoned politician, but I would like to see the subject and verb agree a little more often when Ollie speaks.

This is not that hard to fix. It is very common for companies to send employees to writing and speaking seminars for communications training. That is all Ollie needs here.

Who cares? How does it affect you personally? He is representing UConn just fine.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Yes, he is a .. But I think we should get Ollie copies of that Brit.series- Downton Abb. (sp) to practice and emulate. It will improve his language game tremendously. We must remember that the language game is the last bastian of middleclassness, especially when all the other pillows are fading away into the sunset. This marker of class, race, ethnicity, place of origin and even gender works its tricks to expose the impostures. What else does this old guy have to offer his readers- other then stirring the pot, one more time. Of ourse there are some limits to how creative we can be with our language- so, a bit more attentiveness to general public speaking can only be positive, given the hot seat that is college athletics today (and especially Uconn. Note how quickly he moved from Ollie to the school that educated him and for which/whom he work.POOR GRAMMAR. I CAN SEE IT.) IS IT WHICH OR WHOM? Anyone remember their high school grammar about when and where to use these?
Just a guess from someone with decent knowledge of English structure (grad student soon-to-be Speech Language Pathologist).

Seems like the relationship "whom" indicates is usually that of two live or conscious entities (also personified objects), one being a sender and the other a receiver of something, be it an object or action.

"Which" can used much more diversely and abstractly. It can be used to progress a string of logic. I believe when involving senders and receivers of actions, it is used more appropriately with inanimate or unconscious object(s). Sit a kid in front of three dolls and give them a ball, you could ask them "to which doll will you roll it?" and once you personify the dolls by giving them names, it turns to "whom."

So, while there is a kind of lively aspect of a University in that it is dynamic and ever-evolving while having tradition and an abstract "purpose" being an academic institution, I think "which" might be more appropriate.

But that's just me BSing.

Reaction Score
The NY Post, like any media outlet caters to its audience - in this case, racist, older white people. He uses the word grammar, but what he means is black.

Bullseye.

His moaning about the plight of "Connecticut taxpayers" having to put up with Ollie's "grammar problems" is a dog whistle pitched high enough to break glass.

Reaction Score
I'm so glad we're focusing on this topic and not the National Championship game against Kentucky...

Reaction Score
As one of those "old white guys", I have no problem with Ollie's speech.

Nelson, for a supposed UCONN fan, you have more negative posts than anyone poster I know or have read. You have trashed Herbst and Manuel and now you go after Ollie. Who's next - Geno with his wise cracks and humor?
His defining post will always be trashing the men's game after they won in 2011.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You drama queens literally live on being indignant, don't you?

Maybe we know a little more about Ollie than you do . . .

A public speaking course? Holy , why didn't we think of that? Truth is, he's taken plenty, both during his time as a student and after graduating. If you knew anything about the man, and how he communicated as a 22 year-old vs. now, you'd be marveling at his growth instead of critiquing the remaining details.

Reaction Score
love this. my friends and i have been harping 2014 is the year of zero f ucks. just win baby.

2gugmyu.jpg

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

Reaction Score
He's well-educated.
He's clearly intelligent.
He's a man of impeccable integrity and high moral character.
He's worked himself up from South Central LA, through a hardworking and respected journeyman's career in the NBA, and is now the young head coach of an elite college basketball program (one that has undergone conference realignment, sanctions, and the loss of a Hall of Fame legend).
He's led a team of young men to a NC game in just his 2nd year and 1st ever national tournament.

BUT...he occasionally uses a double negative in violation of Standard English grammar!!!!

Leave this thinly veiled racism and ignorance to the out of touch establishment journalists and the fans of opposing teams I've seen mocking him.

Reaction Score
It's really a personal attack. Good news is that KO and 99.99% of the fans and media don't judge him for his sentence structure and respect him for who he is as a person. There's literally thousands of good stories to write about on KO and this is the angle Mushnick picks?
He's alone on this approach and the NYP should take notice that Ollie is well liked and this won't fly. Last Post I ever buy. Oh wait, I never bought one earlier.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He's well-educated.
He's clearly intelligent.
He's a man of impeccable integrity and high moral character.
He's worked himself up from South Central LA, through a hardworking and respected journeyman's career in the NBA, and is now the young head coach of an elite college basketball program (one that has undergone conference realignment, sanctions, and the loss of a Hall of Fame legend).
He's led a team of young men to a NC game in just his 2nd year and 1st ever national tournament.

BUT...he occasionally uses a double negative in violation of Standard English grammar!!!!

Leave this thinly veiled racism and ignorance to the out of touch establishment journalists and the fans of opposing teams I've seen mocking him.

This is quite possible the most pathetic strawmen I have ever seen. Can you please point to the post you are debating with the recitation of Ollie's resume?

It's funny how all the "basketball" fans on this board really want to just jump on a bandwagon and yell "UConn, F$#% Ya!!!" and then litter threads like this with strawman nonsense like this post.

This thread will blow past 100 posts and probably hit about 175, if not more, before it dies, but if anyone tries to have an actual basketball conversation, the thread is lucky to get to 40, and half the "basketball" posts this weekend will be from low post count posters who are just attacking the regulars for imagined slights against UConn.

Reaction Score
BTW, I graduated from UCONN without anyone addressing how I spoke. For the vast majority of us, it is not what we did at college and I left with my 'Staven intact.

Foxon here. Momaguin? Cove? Central?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog