Mushnick of NY Post:Ct Taxpayers/others worried about Ollies grammar | The Boneyard

Mushnick of NY Post:Ct Taxpayers/others worried about Ollies grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Phil can be a ……..do your homework first Phil……..no one cares. We all know he still has some slang from his LA days but maybe you should talk to him first to find out he is an intelligent, well educated guy who just has some habits which will never leave and you know what, it's okay with us as a fan base and it's okay with the parents whom he walks into their living room I am sure……..he's a super human being unlike, well…...

How about writing about the BS that comes out of Cailpari's mouth rather than this Phil? Have some balls…………

One guy is genuine and the other guy is…..well Calipari!:confused:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
First of all, this a-clown should be careful criticizing someone else's English when his column is a rambling, incoherent mess.

That said, Ollie needs to clean up his grammar. It undermines him as a speaker and does reflect a little poorly on the school. A simple public speaking course over the summer should do the trick. I suspect there is a professor or two on campus that can give him some 1-on-1 training. To be honest, I would not be surprised if Ollie is working on it already because I feel like he has improved his grammar since last year.

Reaction Score
It does not reflect badly on the school unless you're an idiot, snob faced piece of crap. Kevin Ollie is an intelligent, well educated kid from LA, tough neighborhood mind you. If you think his growing up is something you just toss out the window then you're ignorant. I agree he is probably working on it for his reasons and his alone because he gets it.

But if he has to work on it for anyone else, then they need to look at themselves in the mirror and ask "Just because my English and vocabulary is seemingly better, am I half the good person KO is?"

Reaction Score
What a stupid article. And look at the writer's picture. Dude is a fossil. He needs to go peacefully into a retirement home and he can use proper grammar while playing bridge. F off. Criticize the NCAA and the tip-time, fine, but leave Ollie alone. He is a class act. The story should be about UConn giving Ollie an education, and helping him became a man. A kid from south central LA is a real, legitimate role model for young kids who grew up just like him, and he is helping those kids graduate and get an education. This makes me mad. guy.

Reaction Score
I think it's quite funny that the author is assuming that Ollie doesn't know the "correct" grammar. ;)

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It does not reflect badly on the school unless you're an idiot, snob faced piece of crap. Kevin Ollie is an intelligent, well educated kid from LA, tough neighborhood mind you. If you think his growing up is something you just toss out the window then you're ignorant. I agree he is probably working on it for his reasons and his alone because he gets it.

But if he has to work on it for anyone else, then they need to look at themselves in the mirror and ask "Just because my English and vocabulary is seemingly better, am I half the good person KO is?"

Ollie is an educator and part of his job is PR. Written and verbal communication is critical in any job. No one is asking him to be F. Scott Fitzgerald or speak like a seasoned politician, but I would like to see the subject and verb agree a little more often when Ollie speaks.

This is not that hard to fix. It is very common for companies to send employees to writing and speaking seminars for communications training. That is all Ollie needs here.

Reaction Score
Ollie is an educator and part of his job is PR. Written and verbal communication is critical in any job. No one is asking him to be F. Scott Fitzgerald or speak like a seasoned politician, but I would like to see the subject and verb agree a little more often when Ollie speaks.

This is not that hard to fix. It is very common for companies to send employees to writing and speaking seminars for communications training. That is all Ollie needs here.

I wasn't getting on you (Phil M) I do understand what you are saying, to a point. It is not easy to fix though in case you haven't noticed. But anyone talking about "this" rather than basketball right now and the way he coaches these kids would seem a bit uppity to me…….it so far beyond the scope of what the man does for these kids!

Move on, he's the best for the job no matter how he speaks……..end of story! From my perspective I hear a passionate Husky supporter who will do anything for his kids and university……..how many other coaches have that? Screw the English

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

You post some of the dumbest takes on things that I read here.

The takeaway here is Phil Mushnick values style over substance. Not unusual in today's sporting landscape, but sound bites allow lazy journalism to thrive. And yes, this is lazy journalism and nothing more.

Reaction Score
Mushnick is at once a bitter old fool and the smart alec middle school wise ass who taunts from the sideline while people are doing things he cannot. I stopped reading him years ago, since all his columns are nothing but predictable heckling. This one is more of the same.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Did you ever try to diagram one of Jim Calhoun's spoken sentences?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
You're the one with a problem if you have issues with someone speaking a dialect of your own language.

And there is probably a million things dude could be writing about right now, of all nights, but we're talking about "grammar."

Reaction Score
I would hope someone as intelligent as this guy seems to think he is would be familiar with the idea of dialects

Reaction Score
We are headed to the national championship game led by a man who is genuine and good...by a man who has the unquestioned support of his players...by a man who is described by everyone who has spent any time with him as one of the more outstanding individuals that they have ever had the opportunity to know...and you are concerned with his grammar?!!! You have to be kidding me?!!! You are kidding right?!!! If you are not,you should REALLY be embarrassed to have put these thoughts/opinions out there for public consumption. Why don't you(and Phil) test your theories?Send copies of your respective opinions to Susan Herbst,Wade Manual and the university department heads of your choice(pick a few for diversity why don't you?), and let us know what reaction you get. I would love to have the opportunity to read a few of those reactions.

GO HUSKIES!!!
BEAT THE WILDCATS!!!
555.jpg

628x471.jpg

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Notice how many people he actually quotes who have a problem with Ollie's language -- zero. This is Phil Mushnick's problem, no one else's.

Reaction Score
First of all, this a-clown should be careful criticizing someone else's English when his column is a rambling, incoherent mess.

That said, Ollie needs to clean up his grammar. It undermines him as a speaker and does reflect a little poorly on the school. A simple public speaking course over the summer should do the trick. I suspect there is a professor or two on campus that can give him some 1-on-1 training. To be honest, I would not be surprised if Ollie is working on it already because I feel like he has improved his grammar since last year.
He is a kid from South Central, who I believe has Texas roots. Funny, when southern football coach, like Houston Nutt or Dabo Swinney open their mouth, you never read comments like this.

The man can flat out coach basketball. Jim Calhoun, you could barely understand him when he spoke, but people want to take exception when Ollie doesn't display perfect grammar? Give me a break.

Reaction Score
Mushnick is at once a bitter old fool and the smart alec middle school wise ass who taunts from the sideline while people are doing things he cannot. I stopped reading him years ago, since all his columns are nothing but predictable heckling. This one is more of the same.

Man,have you got Mushnick nailed!! And I stopped reading him a long time ago as well.

GO HUSKIES!!!
BEAT THE WILDCATS!!!
555.jpg

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
500x332

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's amazing that the NY Post pays that guy out of their dying revenue streams.

Or maybe they don't. Maybe it's an intern just pulling a random take from long ago and updating the name to Ollie.

He must have written a very special column on the Daniel Murphy stuff.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Leebo said:
I would hope someone as intelligent as this guy seems to think he is would be familiar with the idea of dialects

The timing on this is very suspect, and rude. Kevin is having his finest moment and this guy brings it up now? .

That said, it isn't just a dialect as Calhoun's speech is. I think Kevin knows it and is likely working on it.

Reaction Score
Did you ever try to diagram one of Jim Calhoun's spoken sentences?
Yeah, the way that Calhoun guys speaks...he'll never make it in this business...andPR? Forget it! He would be the worst thing to ever happen to uconn!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh Phil, if you are getting so much email, print the names and towns so we can scorn them like Nelson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom