Mushnick of NY Post:Ct Taxpayers/others worried about Ollies grammar | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mushnick of NY Post:Ct Taxpayers/others worried about Ollies grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
While several of you do not seem to believe that someone from South Central LA is capable of or should be expected to speak properly, I will disagree.
That's as classic a strawman argument as you're ever likely to find.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Irresponsible dig at UCONN's "history of academic problems" without explaining it and without mentioning the transition to a perfect APR is just beneath journalism. The affront to the NCAA in this Final Four is John Calipari's filthy past and KY NBA factory of a "team"

Instead he focuses on a great person who has risen from a ghetto. Who is universally respected on and off the court.

For those of you that don't know, this is who Mushnick is.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ollie's communication skills are just fine. He is able to communicate to his players how to beat a 1-3-1 press and hold The SEC's Player of the Year to 1 assist and Turn him over 3 times. On Napier's steal (and assist to Boatright), Wilbekin literally looked like he was about to stick his head up his @$$.

Reaction Score
While several of you do not seem to believe that someone from South Central LA is capable of or should be expected to speak properly, I will disagree. I have also found Ollie's problem to be very common among GenX'ers, the last generation to grow up without widespread access to PC's. I think communications skills, and written communications skills in particular, are better with younger people, possibly because of the ubiquity of email.

Many companies do communications training for new employees, and I think something like that would be helpful for Ollie. It is not a big deal.

As for other coaches, most of them speak pretty well, and everyone knows that Roy Williams' and Steve Spurrier's nonsense is an act and that both of them are completely full of s*.

Communication and writing skills are definitely have definitely not improved for young people, but this is totally irrelevant to the discussion. The question is, should someone who speaks in dialect represent an institution of higher learning, and the answer is yes. If the business world is not so aligned, it's not surprising, given prejudices.

Reaction Score
While several of you do not seem to believe that someone from South Central LA is capable of or should be expected to speak properly, I will disagree.

As for other coaches, most of them speak pretty well, and everyone knows that Roy Williams' and Steve Spurrier's nonsense is an act and that both of them are completely full of s*.

South Central LA, during the time KO was in HS was an absolute war zone. There were literally kids out with assault rifles taking each other out, in war games like fashion. To speak nothing of the drive by shootings that led to movies like Boys in the Hood, and Menace to Society. What kind of teachers/teaching would be attracted to that? That had to be one tough environment to teach in for the ones who did it. Did Ollie go to Crenshaw HS?

I am not going to take him to task over grammar given his background, sheet the man made it out of South Central, graduated college, endured the CBA, willed himself to a 13 year NBA career that should have never happened given his skill set, is a college coach at his alma mater, and NBA greats like Kevin Durant credit him with changing the culture of the organazation. I say he is to be applauded for his accomplishment and not derided over his less than perfect grammar.

As for Williams and Spurrier being an act, how could you possibly know that?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I really hate to make it about race, but how come as others have said, Roy Williams never gets taken to task for the way he talks? Bobby Bowden? The youngish black coach from south central LA doesn't speak with perfect grammar, and it has to make papers? I'm sorry, I don't know what else to make of it, other than it is racial.

Well, this didn't take much research time for me:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ay-z-nets-racist-new-york-post_n_1477927.html

Wow, Phil Mushnick. Just wow. And I'm reading that he's done similar stuff to Steven A. Smith and others. I just don't have the energy to look it all up...

Reaction Score
Mushy don't no nothin on nothin. Just a typical ny lib who's targeted his pent-up anger on the latest success story.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Because everyone know it, of course.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
BTW, I graduated from UCONN without anyone addressing how I spoke. For the vast majority of us, it is not what we did at college and I left with my 'Staven intact.

Reaction Score
Mushnik's bringing up this topic is a good thing. Don't kid yourself, lots of people who heard Kevin speak, many for the first time, were thinking the same thing about him and the University. Having the discussion out in the open has given people the opportunity to consider many of the points raised here and in other places. Perhaps this will enable people to change their preconceived opinion. Politically correct censorship is rarely a good thing. It enables wrong thinking to endure.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
South Central LA, during the time KO was in HS was an absolute war zone. There were literally kids out with assault rifles taking each other out, in war games like fashion. To speak nothing of the drive by shootings that led to movies like Boys in the Hood, and Menace to Society. What kind of teachers/teaching would be attracted to that? That had to be one tough environment to teach in for the ones who did it. Did Ollie go to Crenshaw HS?

I am not going to take him to task over grammar given his background, sheet the man made it out of South Central, graduated college, endured the CBA, willed himself to a 13 year NBA career that should have never happened given his skill set, is a college coach at his alma mater, and NBA greats like Kevin Durant credit him with changing the culture of the organazation. I say he is to be applauded for his accomplishment and not derided over his less than perfect grammar.

See my post about drama queens. I am suggesting he takes some communications training. It is time for you to settle down.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ollie's communication skills are just fine. He is able to communicate to his players how to beat a 1-3-1 press and hold The SEC's Player of the Year to 1 assist and Turn him over 3 times. On Napier's steal (and assist to Boatright), Wilbekin literally looked like he was about to stick his head up his @ .

I find it funny that the Indignation Police like yourself grab any perceived slight against Ollie or anything about UConn and turn it into a multi-post rant where you wrap yourself in the Husky flag and claim heresy against anyone that does not toe the mob's line.

At the cost of making this thread longer, but I would like you to walk me from where I said his subjects and verbs do not always agree to a criticism of his attack of the 1-3-1 press. I look forward to this.

Reaction Score
See my post about drama queens. I am suggesting he takes some communications training. It is time for you to settle down.
I'm not screaming or worked up. I just think some perspective is in order. So he doesn't speak like Grant Hill or Tommy Amaker or Brad Stevens. Big Deal. They probably had different backgrounds educationally growing up. If KO wants to take some communication courses good for him. The way he speaks has not hampered him yet in his chosen profession.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You drama queens literally live on being indignant, don't you?
pot-kettle-black-by-john-takai-dreamstime.jpg

Husky25

Reaction Score
I find it funny that the Indignation Police like yourself grab any perceived slight against Ollie or anything about UConn and turn it into a multi-post rant where you wrap yourself in the Husky flag and claim heresy against anyone that does not toe the mob's line.

At the cost of making this thread longer, but I would like you to walk me from where I said his subjects and verbs do not always agree to a criticism of his attack of the 1-3-1 press. I look forward to this.
Another classic Muntz strawman.

Grammar and communication are two distinct things. You have your opinion (And make no mistake it is an opinion...not fact), and I vehemently disagree with your opinion. And now you don't want to continue the thread because others also disagree. You are not always right. Deal with it

Reaction Score
You drama queens literally live on being indignant, don't you?

Nope, we just don't care if Ollie says "we was" or "we were"

Because, seriously, the only people that upsets are older white people.

How old are you nelson? How old is Phil Mushnick? How old do you think the average emailer whose complained about this is? I'd be surprised if there were one under 40.

Let me guess, you don't like all the hippity-hop music either?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Let's see if I can diagram this sentence correctly.

Phil (subject, noun)
is (verb, present tense)
an (definite article of the object phrase)
unbelievable (adverb modifying the object noun)
(object, noun)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog