MuMu part deux? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

MuMu part deux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Is his Twitter profile picture of Vance Jr or did Vance Sr become a father at the age of 3?
Very fitting that the guy who quit his job to help his son become a professional basketball player also named his son after himself and put his son as his main focus point in his profile picture.
My only wish is that if there is a decision to transfer, it comes from Junior, not Senior.
With that said, I truly hope Vance stays with the program because he has lots of potential and is a great kid.

Reaction Score
As far as I am concerned, he can finish off the year and then pack his bags
Ive coached soccer for over 25 years from college on down and there is no room for parental childishness like this. While I don't like parents being directly involved in issues like playing time with the coach/staff - hiding behind tweets that are public broadcast are plain BS and gutless. All he is doing is putting his son in a very awkward situation.
There's no room for crap like this, JC had it with Harrelson and AO, there is no reason for KO to even address anything with the kids "father".
If that was my dad I would give him a piece of my mind and probably do the opposite of what he suggests because whatever it may be its probably not in the players best interest.
None of us are happy with the season so far and the old man probably is getting some ribbing - man up
Vance was less than bad last night and still will be playing a lot of minutes this year - more than he would even sniff at any other higher echelon D1 school
Its amazing how many don't recognize a gift horse in front of them
If this keeps up - good riddance Vance because you made the decision to let your "father" live your life for you
If you've coached for over 25 years, you should know better then to post what you posted. Vance Jr. doesn't deserve any of this.

Reaction Score
A few points.

1. This is way, way worse than what Oriakhi's father did. There you had a father of a Jr. Who helped get us a national championship and was an AA candidate get frustrated because his son was asked to give up his game for a freshman (with unlimited potential) who showed up at the start of the fall semester. Here, we have a father of a Freshman who barring all these injuries wasn't supposed to have a material role this year complaining about 22 MINUTES OF PLAYING TIME 7 games into his son's career? Unless the son has already called the father up and said "You talk to me privately and let me handle my relationship with my coach and team" this has no chance of ending well.

2. KO has no options as to dealing with any malcontents on the perimeter. He only has 4 perimeter players and given the lack of skills of his bigs 3 have to be on the floor at any time. There is no way to play Jackson (or Vitale or Purvis for that matter) less than 20 minutes a game. And that's if there are no further injuries.

3. KO is going to be tested this year. Beyond the wins he can get out of this very small and inexperienced and limited squad, getting players in this day and age to subordinate their games to the team when the team shows no ability to accomplish anything and the players were all high level recruits is going to be very, very challenging.

4. This is going to be a long season. The pieces are there for this team, if healthy, to be really good next year, but pieces bailing on us early would not help.

I would like this, except for #1.

Didn't mumu call JC a slave master? I was happy to see AO go only because his father was such an . And stirred up a lot of trouble. And his son (he's his father) listened to him. AO was not NBA material, and helped us win a 'ship. Same with his buddy Jamal Coombs-McDaniel. Thanks, but good riddance was how I felt. AO had become a malcontent. Unlike, say Rash Jones, whom, stuck with the program after a better player (Rip) got pt over him. Didn't pout, didn't complain. And was on the floor in the final moments of the program's first NCAA 'ship. To me that's more valuable.

I get the emotional investment as a parent, and we live in a different era (social media), but don't take this garbage public. Vance Sr. has been tame by comparison, but take it up with the coach. Keep it in house, respectfully.

BTW, JC was a Hall of Fame coach and 3 time NCAA Champion (in part thanks to AO and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel), but tried to juggle that team as best as he could, and the chemistry was a disaster. With all the KO bashing, this was a season where JC failed. If you are JC, you don't say no to AD we have AO, or you don't sit AD in favor of AO. If you are AO, if you deserve it, earn it. He was solid in his three years and helped us win a 'ship, but by his Jr season, he was very limited, and hadn't improved enough in his Hall of Fame coach's eyes to warrant a bigger roll.

Reaction Score
I wonder like some others that the father is frustrated watching his kid suck at a higher level of competition and maybe his meal ticket got a little less certain

Please be kind to Vance. He has no control over his father's twitter posts.
This season is already a steamy pile and there is no need to compound the situation.

Reaction Score
Vance hasn't sucked. He missed a few shots. He played well in Maui. He has given us more than expected.

That being said, I'm not sure the family expected at least 2 more years of Terry Larrier.

Larrier will be a senior and Vance will be a Jackson.

The realization that the SF spot isn't absolutely Vance's until his senior year plays a part in this. Then again, UConn has never stopped recruiting multiple players at the same position, and it shouldn't.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Haha, it's an accurate statement as of today, 12/1/2016. Maybe it changes in time.

He just needs to hit shots.

The whole team stinks right now.

Reaction Score
he can't defend, handle is so-so, not quick, not a great rebounder, shot and release is awful, shooting %s awful, etc.

I'm just saying maybe the father's expectations were much different, like he'd be 1-n-done, who knows what they talked about or what he thought

I think he's a 4 year player and see what happens, guessing Dad thinking he's cashing big checks next June and not looking so certain

Vance hasn't sucked. He missed a few shots. He played well in Maui. He has given us more than expected.

That being said, I'm not sure the family expected at least 2 more years of Terry Larrier.

Larrier will be a senior and Vance will be a Jackson.

The realization that the SF spot isn't absolutely Vance's until his senior year plays a part in this. Then again, UConn has never stopped recruiting multiple players at the same position, and it shouldn't.

Reaction Score
easier said than done, his form is terrible, he pushes from his chest. His whole shot needs to be rebuilt like a QB moving from college to the NFL

He just needs to hit shots.

The whole team stinks right now.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Can we all please call out the father's outlandish tweets without unfairly criticizing Vance Jr? He's a freshman 7 games into his college career, thrust into a bigger role than I bet even he imagined, and being forced to make plays on a struggling team lacking playmakers.

It's amazing to me that we have posters here bitterly calling for him to transfer just because of his father's comments, given the state of the team. He's the one player with a 'knock-down shooter' reputation on a team already shorthanded and having problems putting the ball in the basket. Yet, people are jumping to conclusions 7 games into the kids college career and making comments about his play and saying they're okay with him transferring. Guess that means they're also okay with us fielding 7 scholarship players in games and watching our walk-ons get spanked by mid-majors. Cuz that's what will end up happening.

Then again, this is the boneyard, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised by the stupidity and blatant disrespect shown towards one of our own student athletes just because his father tweeted some things.

The kid has tons of potential and it's entirely unfair to say anything negative about Vance given the team's circumstances. He's had good and bad games, just like everyone on the team this year.

Hope he blocks out the noise of his dad and sticks around here... we need him and he'll get plenty of minutes to develop. I have no doubt he'll start to knock down shots and then people around here will $tfu.

Reaction Score
Ive coached soccer for over 25 years from college on down and there is no room for parental childishness like this. While I don't like parents being directly involved in issues like playing time with the coach/staff - hiding behind tweets that are public broadcast are plain BS and gutless. All he is doing is putting his son in a very awkward situation.
There's no room for crap like this, JC had it with Harrelson and AO, there is no reason for KO to even address anything with the kids "father".
If that was my dad I would give him a piece of my mind and probably do the opposite of what he suggests because whatever it may be its probably not in the players best interest.
None of us are happy with the season so far and the old man probably is getting some ribbing - man up
Vance was less than bad last night and still will be playing a lot of minutes this year - more than he would even sniff at any other higher echelon D1 school
If this keeps up - good riddance Vance because you made the decision to let your "father" live your life for you
You really are just a total disaster.

Reaction Score
Freshman Jamal Coombs-McDaniel , Giffey, and Vance all remind me of each other. Vj is not as good as the other two at the moment , hopefully he picks it up.

UChusky916

Reaction Score

Just an ATROCIOUS post all around. I don't even know where to begin.

Kids don't have the luxury of deciding when and how their parents will interject themselves in their lives. How has Vance 'made the decision to let his father live his life for him' just because his dad is invested in his son and tweeted some things in frustration?!

Jesus, time quit the internet for a while after a post like that.

Reaction Score
He has to sit out a year so he can play less somewhere else. Here he has the most pt to showcase his skills. Last night Vance got the ball several times and could have taken shots or driven and he didn't. He needs to be more aggressive and with time he will be. Tweeting should be outlawed in all forms, has no benefit, and the world is worse since it started, lol.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you've coached for over 25 years, you should know better then to post what you posted. Vance Jr. doesn't deserve any of this.
I guess if you haven't coached you don't get it
I said nothing against Vance Jr but his "father" - yeah I said he can finish off the year and leave and should have qualified that if this continued, my bad
I said if it were me I would give my Dad a piece of my mind - I didn't say he should
I also said he was bad last night and I live by that statement
I am directing it at his father not him
I don't need someone like you telling me I should know better especially after reading some of the crazy things you have said - I faced these situations numerous times and simply told the player I would address it with them not the parent and if it became uncomfortable for the player and it negatively affected the player and/or the team, I suggested that the player look elsewhere to play. Never had a bad repercussion

UChusky916

Reaction Score

I said nothing against Vance Jr but his "father"

I am directing it at his father not him

:rolleyes:

Best to quit while you're behind rather than dig yourself deeper.

Reaction Score
Tweeting should be outlawed in all forms, has no benefit, and the world is worse since it started, lol.

Umm, no way, Twitter is awesome. It's the best news feed possible and gives some other juicy stuff at times like Vance Sr. going off. Drunk Tweets are the best ever.

Reaction Score
Freshman Jamal Coombs-McDaniel , Giffey, and Vance all remind me of each other. Vj is not as good as the other two at the moment , hopefully he picks it up.
Vance is far better than either of those 2 as freshman.

Reaction Score
Vance is far better than either of those 2 as freshman.

I think he will have the best freshman year out of those 3. But I have Giffey's UK Maui performance etched permanently into my memory. What a fun game.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
All someone has to do is skim through pappy's Twitter feed and you'll see that it's riddled with tiny pastor-like comments. I don't think there is anything to see here. This thread makes UCONN fans look bad.

Look at Vance's Twitter and it is UCONN to the core.

With regard to thread topics...NEXT!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There are very, very, very, very few times I want to delete a thread. But this is one of them. Nothing positive comes from this at all.

Criticizing Vance at all at this point in time is absolutely ludicrous. And makes us fans look like d bags.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Yes, I concur. Please, let's either make our love for him as a player and prospect known, or delete this thread.

The kid is a big piece for us that we're all happy to have, despite certain people's comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom