MuMu part deux? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MuMu part deux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So, safe to assume that VJ Sr. is at least lurking here?

Reaction Score
Sweet, now this thread is turning into a bash Vance Jackson Jr. thread. Just what we need.
Yeah, already bad enough. The kid is a freshman and pretty clearly will be a good player. It would be terrible to lose him.

I hope coach and his dad can come to an understanding, but these guys taking their frustration out on VJ need to chill.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I'm hoping it turns out like one of those "Three's Company" episodes where Mr. Furley only hears half of a conversation and jumps to the wrong conclusion based on what he heard. Then comedy ensues.

What if it turns out that VJ Sr. is actually looking for a new house, and he owns a horse, so he needs a horse property; but someone is trying to pass off an ugly pony paddock because they don't realize what he has? I can see KO going out to meet with him, finding him in full dressage and realizing he misunderstood.

7cdb651bb2ccdd6a5b8eb4032affc53c.jpg

Reaction Score
My guess is the conversation goes something like this from KO:

"If you're dad has a big influence on you staying or leaving then you should decide now so you can start somewhere in January"

I will be honest, my brother said to me this morning before I read this, he didn't like Vance Jacksons game last night because "it looked like someone got in his ear about going out and getting yours" - little did he know!!

Reaction Score
My guess is the conversation goes something like this from KO:

"If you're dad has a big influence on you staying or leaving then you should decide now so you can start somewhere in January"

I will be honest, my brother said to me this morning before I read this, he didn't like Vance Jacksons game last night because "it looked like someone got in his ear about going out and getting yours" - little did he know!!

At the end of his time, Calhoun let stuff like this slide. Because he knew it was his last year. Before that, kids used to get their butt kicked for stuff like this.

I said it during the exhibition games and I will say it now: these kids are playing selfishly. I got criticized for saying it during the exhibitions, but it is true. They are not working to set up one another.

Reaction Score
I like Vance but you cannot cater to a father like that. If he goes because of Dad, it will be the best thing for us.

If he does cater to him, it will tear the team apart.

So, obviously, this can't be allowed to become an issue.

Reaction Score
At the end of his time, Calhoun let stuff like this slide. Because he knew it was his last year. Before that, kids used to get their butt kicked for stuff like this.

I said it during the exhibition games and I will say it now: these kids are playing selfishly. I got criticized for saying it during the exhibitions, but it is true. They are not working to set up one another.
That's an indictment on Ollie's coaching.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think Vance can and should, at this point in the year, be getting valuable minutes. I don't want to lose him, he's got some real potential...

That said, this type of thing is never good. It's far too prevalent nowadays too, so at THIS level it never shocks me, but rather disappoints me.

I hope they all realize this is a frosh with a lot of talent but also a ton to learn and develop... His game, right now, wouldn't be more effective at any other major programs.

He's probably just frustrated at the season thus far, as we fans are, and he's getting emotional 6 games into his son's career.

Patience, hopefully, pays off.

Reaction Score
That's an indictment on Ollie's coaching.

What are the options? The bench?

I noticed Vance didn't start last night.

And weren't you the one saying that two bigs should never start?

I don't know what Ollie can do right now. He is handcuffed. So yeah--bench guys the way Calhoun did, put them in the doghouse, play Christian...

Reaction Score
He's probably just frustrated at the season thus far, as we fans are, and he's getting emotional 6 games into his son's career.

Patience, hopefully, pays off.

We shouldn't be surprised though.

Remember, some kids bailed after the frustrating 2012 season.

They didn't stick around for the national championship. Granted, there was a tournament ban, but I don't think UConn will be looking at the tournaments anyway this year. I mean, if Roscoe Smith took off, anyone can.

Reaction Score
Sweet, now this thread is turning into a bash Vance Jackson Jr. thread. Just what we need.

That's what was done to Oriakhi. And he had given us far, far more when this BS started than what Jackson has given us.

Reaction Score
What are the option? The bench?

I noticed Vance didn't start last night.

And weren't you the one saying that two bigs should never start?

I don't know what Ollie can do right now. He is handcuffed. So yeah--bench guys the way Calhoun did, put them in the doghouse, play Christian...
I was responding to you saying the team has been playing selfishly since the opening tip in exhibition season. We had a full roster then and if players are only concerned with getting theirs then you have a coaching problem, he's not reaching them. Kentucky is all freshman who are planning on going to the NBA in six months and they share the ball.

Reaction Score
A few points.

1. This is way, way worse than what Oriakhi's father did. There you had a father of a Jr. Who helped get us a national championship and was an AA candidate get frustrated because his son was asked to give up his game for a freshman (with unlimited potential) who showed up at the start of the fall semester. Here, we have a father of a Freshman who barring all these injuries wasn't supposed to have a material role this year complaining about 22 MINUTES OF PLAYING TIME 7 games into his son's career? Unless the son has already called the father up and said "You talk to me privately and let me handle my relationship with my coach and team" this has no chance of ending well.

2. KO has no options as to dealing with any malcontents on the perimeter. He only has 4 perimeter players and given the lack of skills of his bigs 3 have to be on the floor at any time. There is no way to play Jackson (or Vitale or Purvis for that matter) less than 20 minutes a game. And that's if there are no further injuries.

3. KO is going to be tested this year. Beyond the wins he can get out of this very small and inexperienced and limited squad, getting players in this day and age to subordinate their games to the team when the team shows no ability to accomplish anything and the players were all high level recruits is going to be very, very challenging.

4. This is going to be a long season. The pieces are there for this team, if healthy, to be really good next year, but pieces bailing on us early would not help.

Reaction Score
Aaron Rodgers needs to tell his dad to R E L A X. Vance will be a big piece of this team if he keeps putting the work in. Im sure even his dad can say that shooting 31% from the field, 67% from the FT line, and 30% from the three point line is below par. If he was playing well that's one thing but he isn't right now and his dad should know that.

Reaction Score
I was responding to you saying the team has been playing selfishly since the opening tip in exhibition season. We had a full roster then and if players are only concerned with getting theirs then you have a coaching problem, he's not reaching them. Kentucky is all freshman who are planning on going to the NBA in six months and they share the ball.

If this had gone on for a long time with a full roster, it would have been a coaching problem.

Yes, but I'm not going to judge based on one and a half games.

Not enough.

If Ollie had the opportunity to sit kids, I'm sure he would have.

After all, he has done it in the past, no?

As for Kentucky, they share the ball now. But not all the time in the past. Some of those teams had no business losing. The team that lost to Kemba in 2011 was not selfish, but the team that lost in 2014 to Shabazz was.

Reaction Score
Did it occur to anyone that SR might be talking to Jr. directly as a parent trying to motivate his son to be a better player. The tweets are directed at Jr not KO's twitter.

Reaction Score
It's possible his dad thinks Vance should be starting. It should be obvious to anyone he did not have a good stroke last night, but could be said for everyone but CV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom