Muffet Tweet | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Muffet Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
More
To the best fans in the country:
DtnB4QIV4AERgXj.jpg
Very nice Muffet but how did you let this happen in the first place. Obviously your player didn’t take you seriously or you didn’t emphasize it until the scrutiny you find yourself under NOW.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Geez Louise, folks make it sound like there was a bench clearing brawl.

Was it ok? No. Absolutely not.

But it sounds like some folks won't be satisfied until they get a handwritten apology note in the mail.
Is there anything wrong with that? It does not take a bench clearing brawl to inure a player and jeopardize their season or career.

Reaction Score
This is nothing more than McGraw appeasing the higher ups at Notre Dame! Actions speak louder than words, if she really wanted to teach Ogunbowale a lesson she would bench her for their next game. I can vividly remember getting thrown out of a game for using choice language with an umpire over a strike 3 call when I played baseball at UConn. Coach Baylock had a rule that if you got tossed from a game, then you didn't play in the next game. I was red hot and had something like 12 hits in my past 15 abs, a couple hrs and 2bs, and a bunch of rbis. Despite how well I was playing, Coach Baylock sat my ass down and I learned my lesson. I never once argued a pitch again in my career at UConn!

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This game got to be chippy at times as demonstrated by an Ogunbowale elbow that was jabbed into the throat of Janessa Thropay. She was eventually charged for unsportsmanlike conduct after the referees reviewed the tape when play came to a stop on a Thropay blocking foul against Ogunbowale. How it was justified she could stay in the game was beyond me.

Oregon State Women’s Basketball Can’t Finish Upset Against Notre Dame, Fall 91-81

There was this from March too

Ogunbowale was whistled for a technical foul for kicking her leg up and tripping FSU's Nicki Ekhomu after a turnover with 59.1 seconds left in the first half. Ekhomu hit both free throws for a 41-40 lead, part of FSU's 14-4 run to close the second quarter and erase a 38-29 deficit.

No. 5 Notre Dame women top No. 11 Florida St 90-80 in ACCs

I can sorta, almost understand losing ones mind once but three times in 9 months?
Grayson Allen.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Taurasi: What more can you say?

"After drilling a three-pointer, her fifth of the game, Taurasi clapped her hands and yelled something at Rutgers' Tasha Pointer. She was slapped with a technical foul and immediately replaced by UConn coach Geno Auriemma, who glared at Gampel Pavilion fans for cheering the freshman wunderkind."

"'I don't like anything that makes kids look bad,' Auriemma said. 'Diana bangs in a three and then gets into a spitting contest with a kid. Great players don't come down to the level of anybody. They set the standard. They make people react to them. They don't react to anybody.'"

Speaks volumes, especially in contrast to what happened (and didn't happen) in the game on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The idea of running a Diana Taurasi fan account and criticizing other players for getting technicals...well, the mind boggles...
The technical is not the issue. That hurt nobody but Arike and her team. The issue is the hip check and the head-hunt, both of which were obviously deliberate and either of which could have caused serious damage.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The technical is not the issue. That hurt nobody but Arike and her team. The issue is the hip check and the head-hunt, both of which were obviously deliberate and either of which could have caused serious damage.

I was referencing the tweet that appears in CL82's post above, which addresses the technical

I agree that the on-court dangerous acts are a bigger deal. (Not that Taurasi is a stranger to those either).

Personally, I would still like to see Arike suspended for a game to really match actions to words. We'll see if that happens...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing this. I didn't remember that Diana incident at all, so I did a little quick research and found this 2001 story describing it, which is well worth a read:

Taurasi: What more can you say?

"After drilling a three-pointer, her fifth of the game, Taurasi clapped her hands and yelled something at Rutgers' Tasha Pointer. She was slapped with a technical foul and immediately replaced by UConn coach Geno Auriemma, who glared at Gampel Pavilion fans for cheering the freshman wunderkind."

"'I don't like anything that makes kids look bad,' Auriemma said. 'Diana bangs in a three and then gets into a spitting contest with a kid. Great players don't come down to the level of anybody. They set the standard. They make people react to them. They don't react to anybody.'"

Speaks volumes, especially in contrast to what happened (and didn't happen) in the game on Sunday.

Ahhh memories. Randy Smith was great. Of course, Geno was/is a quote machine. Love this one:

"I can't get myself to be hard on K.J. like I am on Diana," Auriemma said. "Diana's Eddie Haskell. You just want to smack her. She's the kid you want to hit in the back of the head with a spitball or put spiders in her lunch box. She throws balls off the backboard to herself so she can score. And then she wants an assist too. She watches too much TV."

BTW, Tasha Pointer was one of the greatest trash talkers the game has ever seen (or heard).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is nothing more than McGraw appeasing the higher ups at Notre Dame! Actions speak louder than words, if she really wanted to teach Ogunbowale a lesson she would bench her for their next game. I can vividly remember getting thrown out of a game for using choice language with an umpire over a strike 3 call when I played baseball at UConn. Coach Blaylock had a rule that if you got tossed from a game, then you didn't play in the next game. I was red hot and had something like 12 hits in my past 15 abs, a couple hrs and 2bs, and a bunch of rbis. Despite how well I was playing, Coach Blaylock sat my ass down and I learned my lesson. I never once argued a pitch again in my career at UConn!

The immortal UCLA basketball coach John Wooden said many times that the bench is an "excellent" teacher. :cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This game got to be chippy at times as demonstrated by an Ogunbowale elbow that was jabbed into the throat of Janessa Thropay. She was eventually charged for unsportsmanlike conduct after the referees reviewed the tape when play came to a stop on a Thropay blocking foul against Ogunbowale. How it was justified she could stay in the game was beyond me.

Oregon State Women’s Basketball Can’t Finish Upset Against Notre Dame, Fall 91-81

There was this from March too

Ogunbowale was whistled for a technical foul for kicking her leg up and tripping FSU's Nicki Ekhomu after a turnover with 59.1 seconds left in the first half. Ekhomu hit both free throws for a 41-40 lead, part of FSU's 14-4 run to close the second quarter and erase a 38-29 deficit.

No. 5 Notre Dame women top No. 11 Florida St 90-80 in ACCs

I can sorta, almost understand losing ones mind once but three times in 9 months?

4...... She did something in the Louisville game..... think she undercut Fuehring or Shook going for a rebound. Cant even remember if she was called for a foul or not. Maybe that doesnt qualify for losing one's mind..... but our section of the Coliseum wasn't too happy about it (at least I wasnt :rolleyes:)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

But it sounds like some folks won't be satisfied until they get a handwritten apology note in the mail.
It can be handwritten or videotaped. Make me believe it. And throw in a sizable cash indemnity for good measure.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
What also bothers me besides all the questionable play directed at Connecticut, is the fact that after a loss to UConn, you find it rare to hear that UConn outplayed her team, that it is always her team played bad, didn't execute, etc. You hear Geno praise other teams, players, even when his team does not play up to his expectations, but I guess you have to be a stand up person to do that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Agreed, and I know Geno catches a lot of criticism for putting all his eggs in one basket in the recruiting game for being so selective, but it’s obvious that he puts an enormous amount of emphasis on character and body language in choosing what players he pursues. The few elite athletes who also have those traits are hard to find, and if you identify them may, for whatever reason, choose to continue their athletic career somewhere else. I admire the fact that he hasn’t lowered his standards in choosing what players are the public face of the UConn program. ND’s program got a big black eye Sunday- one that won’t go away quickly.
Geno did recruit Arike. Her announcing her 5 finalists on Twitter (one assumes that was rather than calling all of the coaches recruiting her to let them know they are/aren't in the final 5) was a story line last spring. Geno made a sarcastic comment back on Twitter so the Final Four game was supposed to be Arike's "revenge".

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

So don't read the thread. You don't need to be a contrarian all the time.

Reaction Score
Geno did recruit Arike. Her announcing her 5 finalists on Twitter (one assumes that was rather than calling all of the coaches recruiting her to let them know they are/aren't in the final 5) was a story line last spring. Geno made a sarcastic comment back on Twitter so the Final Four game was supposed to be Arike's "revenge".

If I remember correctly Geno un-recruited her and announced it in typical Auriemma fashion. Just guessing that pairing would not have been a marriage made in heaven- short honeymoon. Or, as my Father used to say: “the honeymoon is the short period of time between I do, and you’d better”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom