Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kelli made $246K in her final year at Mizzou State. She is making $750 at Tenn. She have a retention bonus if she stayed at MSU of $100k but that did not occur.

You're right--i misread the article. It said she got a 500k bump. I thought it said her salary was 500k at Missouri St.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but Azzi is a winner. She wants to win. There are only a couple of programs that she can help win and UConn is one of them. Azzi will need a team around her to showcase her skills. Azzi will need coaches who can develop her into a top knoch player and there is only one team that can do that. There are two types of players in the world. Those who think they can and those who think they cant and they cant without a team around them and without coaches who can teach train and develp them within a system that makes them the best they can be.

Thumbs up.

I sometimes forget that UConn is also a stepping stone to the next level, especially for a Bueckers/Fudd-type player. Those two, and lots of others dream of the WNBA. Bueckers watches men's BB, not women. Her admiration for UConn is obvious but to her it's a place to get ready for the next level. She and her bud would get to a higher level of play being on the same team because they could challenge each other every day in practice, not just in maybe a game or two a year. Fudd seems to have parents (her coaches) who should know enough to give her good advice. They restrict her contact with coaches and my guess is that they have a plan. From what I read her father likes UConn's program but that could be true for other schools. But UConn would have to be a finalist in her parents' eyes and I just hope playing with Bueckers tips it to UConn.

Reaction Score
We’ll know in the next 7-14 days. If any of their players are going to bail, they’ll do it in the next few days.

I wouldn't expect anyone to leave over this coaching change............. Ivey is an excellent recruiter and was always thought to be the coach in waiting.........if anything I'd expect ND to be more competitive in recruiting in the future and that includes Azzi Fudd..............

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Thumbs up.

I sometimes forget that UConn is also a stepping stone to the next level, especially for a Bueckers/Fudd-type player. Those two, and lots of others dream of the WNBA. Bueckers watches men's BB, not women. Her admiration for UConn is obvious but to her it's a place to get ready for the next level. She and her bud would get to a higher level of play being on the same team because they could challenge each other every day in practice, not just in maybe a game or two a year. Fudd seems to have parents (her coaches) who should know enough to give her good advice. They restrict her contact with coaches and my guess is that they have a plan. From what I read her father likes UConn's program but that could be true for other schools. But UConn would have to be a finalist in her parents' eyes and I just hope playing with Bueckers tips it to UConn.
And to follow up a bit; With the class of 2020, and the commits of 2021 and 2022; it appears the If UConn will have the quality teams that Azzi will need to reach her goals. The long term prospectus is great to outstanding for UConn and that should matter to a player looking 4 years down the road.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
People don't seem to understand. Probably, Fudd told ND she would like to commit to them but did not want to play for MM. So, they did what they had to do in order to get her to commit.:rolleyes: She will more than likely give her commitment by this weekend.:confused: And the BONEYARD went bonkers.:(

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes I totally agree about coaches who follow legends. UCLA men, Indiana men, and Tennessee women, as prime examples. However, there are some schools that are so legendary in the sport itself that it doesn't matter like Kentucky and North Carolina men. They also had replacement coaches who were known top tier coaches in Calipari and Williams ( I could argue this point after watching him). This is different though at ND and it feels somewhere in the middle between never living up to MM and the school and basketball history becoming the draw for great players and teams. No matter where it falls, the recruiting curve is a real problem because you have to have the best HS players to have the best college teams. Geno has said that over and over again. In his words "Do you think I'm just smarter than everyone else?"

There were some down years in Chapel Hill before Williams came on board... same with Kentucky and Calipari.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but I kinda think the coaching change may tip the scales for Fudd to ND

Reaction Score
if I'm going to be fair I don't think Geno could have won many more games with that injury riddled team.........

That's unfair. I agree the situation was an impossible one but some of it was a result of decisions. I posted back in November that I wasn't going to kick Notre Dame given the situation they were in. It's what went on prior to that. Most of the injured had zero experience or else were limited subs. A star left early? Gee I think I remember that another team has experienced that and some still blamed Geno for their absence.

For the record I can't wait to see the Irish back "near" the top. They have been the only elite team (S Car also for a lesser period) that has kept the series going, even during down cycles. Some of the best games in wcbb.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect anyone to leave over this coaching change............. Ivey is an excellent recruiter and was always thought to be the coach in waiting.........if anything I'd expect ND to be more competitive in recruiting in the future and that includes Azzi Fudd..............

I'd guess that any transfers would happen next April, and only then if Ivey proves to be a much better recruiter than a head coach.

Reaction Score
Loved what Geno and his coaching staff (including Jamelle!) did this year to take a team that was really struggling to find itself deep in the season, and turn it into a real contender for another national championship by the end of the conference tourney. He and he alone finds a way to do it each and every year, no matter what the obstacles are.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but I kinda think the coaching change may tip the scales for Fudd to ND
So Fudd who wants a career in basketball is going to go play for a coach who has never coached a game at the college level? Not to mention a school where season ending knee injuries seem contagious? I dunno, Ivey probably wins in the young and relatable category, but it's hard to see where ND has the edge over UConn elsewhere. Does Fudd want to follow in the footsteps of Taurasi, Moore, and Stewart or Riley, Ivey, and Diggins?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I agree. I wrote this comment before learning that Ivey had already been hired to replace her. I hadn’t read that far down in the thread yet. After learning of Ivey’s being rehired, I suggested that none of the returning players would leave. She knows and already has a relationship with each one of them.

Carnac

Reaction Score
So Fudd who wants a career in basketball is going to go play for a coach who has never coached a game at the college level? Not to mention a school where season ending knee injuries seem contagious? I dunno, Ivey probably wins in the young and relatable category, but it's hard to see where ND has the edge over UConn elsewhere. Does Fudd want to follow in the footsteps of Taurasi, Moore, and Stewart or Riley, Ivey, and Diggins?

Something to think about.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A couple folks in this thread seem to be having trouble wrapping their head around Ivey as a "good recruiter" sort of like why her, in particular, type thing.

I don't know how it works at UConn and TonyC presents Geno's hand in everything - but from experience at Rutgers, there are good recruiters. Jolette Law and Carlene Mitchell were recruiters for Rutgers. When Carlene left, recruiting fell off some. Vivian may vet prospects but her role is to be a closer and to make public appearances of interest. Someone else does the heavy lifting.

Even I knew it was Ivey at ND.

Reaction Score
I suspect her telephone will ring. Whether she answers or not remains to be seen. She knows the game and can explain a play and share insight from a coach’s perspective as well as anyone. WCBB fans would tune-in to watch/hear her do color for a game.
Keeping in mind that this is one of the great college coaches of all time, never found Muffet to be a strong public speaker. Suspect she is outstanding at locker room motivation and knows the game better than 99%, but doubt she would be someone you would want to listen to for long periods of time.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Keeping in mind that this is one of the great college coaches of all time, never found Muffet to be a strong public speaker. Suspect she is outstanding at locker room motivation and knows the game better than 99%, but doubt she would be someone you would want to listen to for long periods of time.

Do you think she will do color on at least 1 game during the coming season? I would not enjoy listening to her do color, but I’m biased. I’m not a fan of hers. I also realize I’m probably in the minority on this. She could also do pre/post game and halftime studio analyst duty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol, if Maddy Westbeld decommitted of all people...

She's only known Coach Ivey for 7 or 8 years.
Well some Oregon Stat poster said Van Lith knew the Oregon State coaching staff so well she did not need an official visit. Well......:(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom