Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My goodnes, this board is OBSESSED with Brunelle. Can't that ship just be sailed away for good?

Frankly, I don't think we have room for her, she doesn't want to be come here, no matter how bitter everyone is about it, and let the kid gooooooo. Some of you are like a teenager who got their heartbroken by someone that you didn't know existed.

Furthermore, I don't get the hype about her. She is a nice player, but hardly a program changer by any means. I'm still much more upset over Charli Collier.
Nice!
You start a post chastising about an obsession over Brunelle and end with an obsession over Collier?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've realized that some Boneyarders have a procedures manual:

1. Hear news of coach departure.
2. Scour the roster for any desirable player(s).
3. Immediately speculate/inquire about said player(s) transferring to UConn.
:eek: I'm only asking for a friend. Can Madeline Westbeld play in the post?

Reaction Score
This was all so fast! Muffet goes, and within the hour, Ivey is named the new head coach. Obviously this was in the works for a while. I don't see any drop off with Ivey as the HC. In fact, with all the problems/issues at ND, I think she will stabilize the team and take ND back to the top 10.

UCONN should take note - I don't see any drop off any time soon for ND as far as future recruiting. Ivey was a huge force in them landing a bunch of top kids when she was there and is the perfect replacement.

We will have the same challenge when Geno chooses to retire... I hope we do it like ND did, and that the next UCONN HC is as respected and has as many WCBB contacts as Ivey.

No drop off? How can that be? MM was considered the best game coach in WBB by the ND faithful and other Geno haters alike.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Since Niele Ivey is known as a strong recruiter, perhaps the first major coup for her is to snatch Azzi Fudd away from Uconn's strong grasp.

That is precisely the main recruiting line popping up on McGraw's Bench.
However, Niele and the Fudd family have known each other for a very long time: remember, it was a very young Azzi who attended what we referred to as "Nielefest" or "Recruitapalooza" when several members of the Class of 2019, 2020 and 2021 came out to a group non-official visit that Niele organized.
(Some good things came out of that: Sam Brunelle, Anaya Peoples, Alli Campbell. Of course, Sydney Parris and Kylee Watson decided to go to Oregon at the time. :rolleyes: )

If there's any recruit I think Niele will reacquaint herself with quickly it's point guard Oliva Miles. ND has a big need at that position and Niele -- having been a starting PG on a national championship team -- can cetainly talk the language of winning PG's. She both tough and fun, charismatic and driven.
Once again, Miles and Niele know each other from numerous Philly Belle games, I'm sure.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I see now that you beat me to the point.

Anyhow, I already owe you several beers should our paths ever cross.

Hah. I just had happened to watch that segment last night and it was top of mind. Might be the last time Coach Ivey wears her Memphis Griz polo shirt!

Just finished watching MM's presser...she looked positively giddy.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am guessing it is easier to recruit for a program where the head coach was considered among the best in developing, scheming and utilizing their players. Ivey will have to earn the HC stripes over time.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
In regards to a question/statement about the UConn-ND games, Muffet replied:
"One thing I'm gonna miss" are our games with UConn. "They were terrific, hard-fought battles."

Asked if she'd heard from Geno yet, she laughed and said "not yet, but I haven't checked my phone in awhile."

She also talked about how she thinks the whole concept of recruiting needs to be examined/overhauled.

Three things in her future at ND:
- Teaching;
- Representing ND in various capacities;
- Working with new/young coaches at ND;

and, on her own:
- Community Organizing (she's been putting together food drives and really enjoys it. I can see this.)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Because the NBA offered more money .

Assistant Coaching Jobs for women in the NBA are glass ceiling jobs. I do not see any women breaking through in my lifetime.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ivey recruited that class lol .
So evidently, Ivie was the only coach who recruited players to ND. MM and the rest of her assistants had nothing to do with any of the recruits.....,,:rolleyes:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
No drop off? How can that be? MM was considered the best game coach in WBB by the ND faithful and other Geno haters alike.........:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yup great in game coach. Like the 2015 final four when ND was down by 11 with 4 minutes left. There was no pressure defense, no full court press, no pressure on the inbound passer, no attempted steals and no fouls. Muffett stood with her arms folded. Check it out. I'm really kind of sorry to see her go.

Reaction Score
That is precisely the main recruiting line popping up on McGraw's Bench.
However, Niele and the Fudd family have known each other for a very long time: remember, it was a very young Azzi who attended what we referred to as "Nielefest" or "Recruitapalooza" when several members of the Class of 2019, 2020 and 2021 now came out.

If there's any recruit, I think Niele will reacquaint herself with quickly it's point guard Oliva Miles. ND has a big need at that position and being a starting PG on a national championship team can help matters.
Once again, Miles and Niele know each other from numerous Philly Belle games, I'm sure.

Stay tuned.

It would be nice if ND recovered. I want to watch UConn beat great teams. What I don't get is that everyone is saying how great MM was and how great Ivey was/is and yet we see a mess of a team. Who was responsible? It was apparent that MM sold out the future to win a title. If she is to be feted for winning a title (and she is) she must also be held responsible for the price the team paid, very little player development along with recruits looking elsewhere. Was it worth it?

Reaction Score
My goodnes, this board is OBSESSED with Brunelle. Can't that ship just be sailed away for good?

Frankly, I don't think we have room for her, she doesn't want to be come here, no matter how bitter everyone is about it, and let the kid gooooooo. Some of you are like a teenager who got their heartbroken by someone that you didn't know existed.

Furthermore, I don't get the hype about her. She is a nice player, but hardly a program changer by any means. I'm still much more upset over Charli Collier.
while Charlie was a hard one to lose I for one weep every time I see Boston playing for SC

Reaction Score
I remember there was another program that lost a WCBB head coaching legend. An icon of the sport in fact. Her heir was also a former player turned long time respected assistant that saw the team through multiple final fours and national titles.
Precisely, that's why I'm not connecting on some of the thoughts expressed here that Ivey will be successful right out of the gate, or even 3 years down the road. Following a legend is no small undertaking and Holly experienced that first hand and Ivey will certainly feel the pain as the losses pile up. ND does not tolerate losing programs - see football program. It'll be interesting to watch and I hope the best for Ivey.

Reaction Score

WRONG! It’s EDD

Reaction Score
It was apparent that MM sold out the future to win a title. If she is to be feted for winning a title (and she is) she must also be held responsible for the price the team paid, very little player development along with recruits looking elsewhere. Was it worth it?
I think almost any coach in any sport would say, "YES!"

Reaction Score
Most here know the story. SB showed up in Storrs with her family for an unofficial visit in January of 2019. About that time a mysterious poster by the name of Dolphan, who clearly had some connection to SB, showed up on the BY indicating some problems with the recruiting process, specifically wondering whether UConn’s offer was still on the table. Dolphan started making noises about SB announcing her decision early.

SB had previously planned to wait until fall to announce her decision but in early March I believe, SB announced on her mother’s Facebook page that she was heading to ND. Subsequently, one of the UConn beat reporters wrote an anonymously sourced article indicating that UConn had never offered SB a scholarship. Dolphan insisted that she had been offered.

We will likely never know the truth, but we can be pretty certain that SB will never suit up in Husky blue.
I’ve moved on. think we all should

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I must confess to mixed emotions. There are a lot of things about MM’s personality that are not particularly endearing. But she sure could get a basketball team ready to compete. Just as with Pat/TN, the matchup between UConn and ND will never feel quite the same.

It was all too obvious that this past season took a tremendous toll on MM. When she broke down during one of her postgame pressers, even some UConn fans felt bad for her. I suspect that she and her husband had some time to reflect after the end of a terribly disappointing season.

There are generally three main reasons to leave coaching: 1) You get fired. 2) You have a health problem. 3) It’s no longer fun. In MM’s case it certainly appears to be #3.
[/QUOTE''

Well Im only guessing. With a depleted roster, a loosing season, the prospect of no season this season, and no top recruits and shes 64 yrs old maybe it is time. Just to look forward she would need to recruit build a new team, teach them the plays and basically rebuild and its a full load. Starting all over and with the corona maybe it was a little overwhelming. Ivey has her work cut out for her. She can recruit and she will have to rebuild a new team. That wont be easy.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
WOW!!!!!!!

Not what I expected to read on the Boneyard today. MM was a tough coach and a worthy opponent for years. ND replaced Tennessee as the big time UConn opponent. Not going to speculate on why she has retired because enough already have.

As for Ivey, yes she was the principal recruiter for several years. She play for MM, then an assistant before she took the Memphis gig. Logical choice for ND to make. And kudos to ND for keeping it quiet until now. However, check the record of those who follow head coaches who are legends. Most don't succeed. Just reality.

As to success for Ivey, it's going to take at least 3 years for ND to return to the power house level. It may be longer and ND may go the route of Tennessee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom