MRI needed to diagnose knee injury (merged thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

MRI needed to diagnose knee injury (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. There was 40 seconds left in a game we had already won. I’ve said this before today, we don’t give enough minutes to the bench when the game has been decided. You can argue all you want, but if the goal is to win games, then once that is accomplished the bench should be playing. In today’s example, you leave yourself open to 2nd guessing. Practice must be played by everyone, at 100%, all the time. If an injury occurs it’s bad luck. However, in a game already decided, its open to debate. I’ve never agreed with the approach where your best players play to the end. The goal is to win. Once you have achieved the win, it’s time to get the bench minutes.

EDIT: That’s why its called a team.
Well, I guess Dawn Staley can't coach either. Who was in for South Carolina at the end of a 16 point win? Boston, Cooke, Henderson. I guess she doesn't care about her players either.

Reaction Score
What happened to Paige is tragic. Should she have been in the game or not is the past. Where do we go from here is the present. It's early December the team is still sorting itself out. Dorka seems to be getting comfortable with the added pressure of playing at Uconn as opposed to Ohio State. The freshmen are still trying to find their role within the team. Azzi is out for a week or more but when she returns she will be relied upon to step up quicker than she or the coaching staff envisioned. After all Paige had to step up and play beyond her years right from the start. Azzi has the talent and maturity to do the same. Was it the plan? No. But circumstances have thrust her into the position of maturing on the fly. Today Caroline seemed to realize the potential that Geno and the coaching staff envisioned for her. Aubrey will be back, hopefully sooner than later, and she will bring the energy and grit that epitomizes her playing style. Nika and Aliyah have a season of experience to build off of and help the freshmen realize what's expected. Olivia, Crystan, and Evina, as seniors, will have to step it up and guide the team through this setback.

The coaches and upperclassmen have until March to round this team, with or without Paige, into a force going into the tournament. One loss or whatever really doesn't matter. You play the team in front of you. The talent is there. Hopefully Paige will be a big part of the postseason, but if not, this team can still win it all.

Reaction Score
If she wasn't in, it wouldn't have happened. That's why you put your star players on the bench when game is decided. To avoid the fluke injuries.
You're hired. Report to the UCONN practice facility tomorrow morning.:p

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
Prayers up for Paige. I pray she recovers as fast and as well as Giannis did in last year's NBA playoffs where he also hyperextended his knee in Game 4 of the ECF, and was able to return and play in Game 1 of the finals after a week of recovery.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In watching the video I think her foot hits a wet spot on the floor before the step where the knee looked like it hyper extended - the foot slipped a bit and she was trying to maintain balance on the next step with the same foot.

This is just one of those miserable things that happen in sport, like Doty going down on a jump stop, or Lou missing the final. It could have been anyone, and anytime.

Reaction Score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2253708-15-things-not-to-do-during-a-blowout

Any head coach who keeps the starters in during a blowout deserves to be criticized—whether winning or losing.
Not only does keeping the starters in send a message to an opponent that a guy/team is disrespectful, but it's also opening up the possibility of a key player getting hurt, which is the last thing anyone wants to have happen.
Let the starters get the lead, work on a few things and take an early seat on the bench to enjoy some of their teammates who don't play often finishing things off.

Reaction Score
Ugly looking injury watching it her knee/leg just collapses.
Looked to me like her left foot slid forward while dribbling, on some moisture or sweat on the floor, and this caused the hyperextended knee. After that I think it was a good sign that she was able to continue dribbling toward the bench, meaning the knee was still stable. Then she just collapsed from the pain.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With 40 seconds left and Uconn ahead, and with the usual "good sport" ethic alive, the bench would not have been permitted to run an offense.
Just so you know, how that works is the team that is down call the time out and puts in it’s subs. Then the team that up reciprocates.

Reaction Score
People there is no sense in debating why Paige was in the game with about 40 seconds left to play, or whose fault it was!
The ONLY thing that matters is she got hurt! It was a non-contact injury, a freaky thing that will be discussed medically tomorrow after the MRI! The timing of the injury was fate, it could have happened in the first 10 seconds of the game and it would have been as serious as it was late in the game!
Fate works in strange ways! We can only wait and hope it was the least serious of all the options available!
I'm sickened by her (or anyone) getting hurt, but I, like all of us must wait on the medical people to make a decision!

Reaction Score
If she hadn't been born, it wouldn't have happened.
If she hadn't decided to play basketball, it wouldn't have happened.
If she hadn't committed to UConn, it wouldn't have happened.
If it was in the first quarter, it wouldn't have happened.
If it was five minutes earlier, it wouldn't have happened.
If it was three minutes earlier, it wouldn't have happened.
If Geno wasn't the UConn coach, it wouldn't have happened.
If you were the coach, it wouldn't have happened.
If crap didn't happen, it wouldn't have happened.

Crap happens.

God bless this young one in a million woman and give hope for her dreams.

Reaction Score
That is the point, that a player on exhausted legs is more prone. Usually nothing bad happens, but today it may have been a contributing factor. So why take a chance?

Players’ legs are usually more exhausted in the final 45 minutes of practice. So are you suggesting that they shouldn’t practice either? And there is a possibility every time a player walks to class that they may slip and get hurt. So should they also stop going to class? Maybe work out a plan where they can sit in the dorm every hour of the day and night except when the team is practicing.

This injury was a fluke, one that had a microscopic possibility of happening. Nothing more than that, no blame to be assigned..

Reaction Score
A few thoughts—

Paige is a single person, and also a member of a team. While her talent and skill are singular, as a person she is one teammate among others. So if, to satisfy some finger pointers who must find a target to blame, Paige were not on the court when her injury occurred, another member of the team would be, and thus would be subject to the same risk of injury. I would mourn an injury to Piath or Mir or Caroline equally.

Paige may have been on the floor not to score points, but to help a rookie get settled in and confident. Help develop the bench player, as some often advocate.

In a context far removed from sport, someone once taught me that anger is not an emotion per se, but the overt manifestation of an underlying emotion, typically fear. She said to me, “When you feel anger, try to stop for a moment. Scratch that anger. Find out what's driving it. If it's fear, you will be able to identify what causes it, and try to address the cause.”. For those who are showing anger towards Geno, those might be words to ponder.

I wish Paige a quick and full recovery. And I wish my fellow forum members, including those with whom I may disagree, peace, patience and tolerance.
Like most, I'm not angry at GA, just curious as to why he didn't take her out and let some on the bench have a go at playing against Notre Dame. That's something to talk about throughout life. "I was on the floor with #2 UCONN when we played ND." There has to be some players who are still wondering why they didn't at least get a few minutes in there at the last. Aside from that there is GA's own comment that he tries to get PB time to rest. The final minutes of a blowout game seems like a perfect time for her to rest----especially since she was knocked around enough earlier in the game. Goes without saying that he wishes that is what he should have done.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Like most, I'm not angry at GA, just curious as to why he didn't take her out and let some on the bench have a go at playing against Notre Dame. That's something to talk about throughout life. "I was on the floor with #2 UCONN when we played ND." There has to be some players who are still wondering why they didn't at least get a few minutes in there at the last. Aside from that there is GA's own comment that he tries to get PB time to rest. The final minutes of a blowout game seems like a perfect time for her to rest----especially since she was knocked around enough earlier in the game. Goes without saying that he wishes that is what he should have done.
AND Coach Ivey took a BIG chance leaving her two star freshmen in the game to the end. What if they got injured in a blowout game?

Reaction Score
Here's the difference...there's a reason for her to practice. And there's a reason for her to walk to class. But there is NO REASON to be in the game in the closing minutes of a blowout.

Sorry, not sorry.
This is not an attack or hatred of your posts, just a different opinion. Going on the fact of your multiple posts on the topic I respect you as very knowledgeable.
On this point I disagree with the question, at what point of the game do you know a player will suffer an injury?
It didn't happen with 8 mins left. It happened with less than a minute to go.
See above.
Because the starters are usually taken out.
I would do some research on UConn Women's Basketball. He was most likely looking to see some chemistry with Paige and Caroline.
Geno has never been known to go deep on the bench.

Any head coach who keeps the starters in during a blowout deserves to be criticized—whether winning or losing.
Not only does keeping the starters in send a message to an opponent that a guy/team is disrespectful, but it's also opening up the possibility of a key player getting hurt, which is the last thing anyone wants to have happen.
Let the starters get the lead, work on a few things and take an early seat on the bench to enjoy some of their teammates who don't play often finishing things off.

I respect your knowledge of the game but bringing a link to the NFL to compare to women's college basketball I find a bit of a stretch.
Again with all due respect ..... Not a good reference.

Reaction Score
Who's on the bench, Mir, Piath, and Amari? There's every reason to think that when they look back at their careers they'll have played much more meaningful minutes.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, when Bueckers got injured, Notre Dame had Miles, Westbeld, Peoples, Dodson, and Citron on the floor. I could be wrong about this.

4 starters, and their top reserve, at least in this game: Citron was the leading scorer for the Irish......

Reaction Score
Hoping for the best of course, but they won't know how serious of an injury and whether it is torn ACL or hyperextended knee until they do an MRI
Knee's are funny things sometimes. When I was in the Army at Ft. Gordon, Ga. in 1983 I was training to run in the Augusta, Ga Marathon. One Sunday I ran 9 miles out into the roads on the fort and back. I felt good because I had been training for months really. At the end of the run I was a couple of blocks from the barracks when one of my knees buckled and I swear it came out of it's joint. I sat on the corner of the road for awhile and was able to limp back to my room at the barracks. I probably just showered and relaxed the rest of the day.
I didn't go to sick call or anything and I rested for a day then resumed my training. I was able to run in the marathon and complete it. Never had another problem with the knee again.
Here's hoping that Paige will be OK too!

I'll say a prayer for the gal tonight.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess Dawn Staley can't coach either. Who was in for South Carolina at the end of a 16 point win? Boston, Cooke, Henderson. I guess she doesn't care about her players either.

South Carolina's starting five (9 games):

Boston: 23.2 minutes per game (mpg)
Cooke: 25.9 mpg
Henderson: 27.6 mpg
Saxton: 19.3 mpg
Beal: 22.2 mpg

Connecticut's starting five (6 games):

Bueckers: 36.4 mpg
Williams: 34.9 mpg
Nelson-Ododa: 28.5 mpg
Westbrook: 30.4 mpg
Edwards: 22.6

Reaction Score
(was going to add this to my above post, but apparently I went past some edit timeline, and wasn't allowed to)

The shortest time that Bueckers played in a game thus far this season was 28 minutes, against Minnesota.

One possible concern for Auriemma in the minutes he plays Bueckers and others, might be that Connecticut's offense & defense is not as dynamic in the 2nd halves of games thus far this season, as it has been in the first halves. CT has out-scored it's opponents thus far 240-180 in the first halves, or by 60 pts in 6 games (average of 10.0 pts/gm). But they've only out-scored them by 20 pts - 207-187 - after halftime. The Huskies out-scored Arkansas, Minnesota, Seton Hall, and Notre Dame by a total of 41 pts, or 10.3 ppg, and have been out-scored by South Florida and South Carolina by 21 pts, or by 10.5 ppg......

That's out-scoring their 6 opponents only by an average of 3.3 pts per gm. They haven't been pulling away from their opponents in the games they've won. That could have a chilling effect on the staff's willingness to empty their bench for substantial minutes in the 2nd half....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01