MRI needed to diagnose knee injury (merged thread) | The Boneyard

MRI needed to diagnose knee injury (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hoping for the best of course, but they won't know how serious of an injury and whether it is torn ACL or hyperextended knee until they do an MRI

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It was however the right ankle that buckled. The same she had surgery on.

Reaction Score
But it was her left leg that she couldn't put weight on.

Just praying for the best.

Reminds me of Andrew Benintendi when he first came up with the Red Sox against Tampa Bay. He stepped like that, and had to be helped off. Luckily with him, he just missed a few days. I've also had a sibling tear up her knee including her ACL stepping off of a low curb. You just never know.

Reaction Score
Geno said he thinks her knee is hyperextended in the press conference. He sounds very concerned.

He also said the Dr. said no twisting involved. Will know more on Monday.

Reaction Score
Geno keeps his starters in a bit late, but he wins for the team and that is what matters

JordyG

Reaction Score
If she wasn't in, it wouldn't have happened. That's why you put your star players on the bench when game is decided. To avoid the fluke injuries.
Okay, let's understand how basketball works and what is happening with this team. It's a team that has shown little to no continuity on offense and has had difficulty getting its shooters into position to shoot the ball. Paige is the only guard on the team that can break defenses down off the dribble. The two ways these issues are addressed is with repetitions in practice and in game. You need both. You can practice all you want, but you need in game court time to build confidence, execution, and chemistry. Unfortunately, this UConn team is incapable of doing any of those things when Paige sits. That's why Paige was on the floor and that's why Geno will have her on the floor as much as possible.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
In any situation down the line, Geno may be forced to give one or more of his "bench players" important time. The more they have worked with Paige in game situations, and the more they have gotten used to each other's moves, the better. Besides, Paige insists on staying in!

Reaction Score
If a starting QB takes a knee when the game is pretty much over and hurts his knee doing it I'm sure people would second guess the coach for having him out there. But for the 99.9 percent of the time it doesn't happen no one says anything. Paige getting hurt dribbling out the clock was the equivalent of starting QB taking a final knee. It was so flukey the way it happened it could have happened while she was walking to the locker room after the game.

Reaction Score
Geno in presser says it “looks” like hyper extension. But the MIR will yell story.

Reaction Score
Hoping for the best of course, but they won't know how serious of an injury and whether it is torn ACL or hyperextended knee until they do an MRI

Or a torn MCL or a torn PCL or a sprain of one of them or a torn meniscus. Etc.

Reaction Score
If a starting QB takes a knee when the game is pretty much over and hurts his knee doing it I'm sure people would second guess the coach for having him out there. But for the 99.9 percent of the time it doesn't happen no one says anything. Paige getting hurt dribbling out the clock was the equivalent of starting QB taking a final knee. It was so flukey the way it happened it could have happened while she was walking to the locker room after the game.
It isn’t the same as a QB. You traditionally take your star out in a blowout near the end to give crowd a chance to cheer her, as Geno did so often with Lou.

Reaction Score
Geno said he thinks her knee is hyperextended in the press conference. He sounds very concerned.

He also said the Dr. said no twisting involved. Will know more on Monday.
Usually the twist is the ACL tear. It did buckle though.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Okay, let's understand how basketball works and what is happening with this team. It's a team that has shown little to no continuity on offense and has had difficulty getting its shooters into position to shoot the ball. Paige is the only guard on the team that can break defenses down off the dribble. The two ways these issues are addressed is with repetitions in practice and in game. You need both. You can practice all you want, but you need in game court time to build confidence, execution, and chemistry. Unfortunately, this UConn team is incapable of doing any of those things when Paige sits. That's why Paige was on the floor and that's why Geno will have her on the floor as much as possible.
This.

I would add that in the 4th Qtr things were finally clicking a bit offensively. Ducharme made some nice plays and shots. I'm sure Geno was looking to build on that, particularly after the struggles this team has had in its half-court offense.

Reaction Score
Ugly looking injury watching it her knee/leg just collapses.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In any situation down the line, Geno may be forced to give one or more of his "bench players" important time. The more they have worked with Paige in game situations, and the more they have gotten used to each other's moves, the better. Besides, Paige insists on staying in!
Caroline got major important minutes and I am guessing all it took was for her to take to heart Geno saying we do not have any depth. Even before her great 4th Q, Geno put her in the 2nd Q when the game was a pressure cooker. I am guessing she showed Geno exactly what she needed to do on Saturday practice. Now Caroline has achieved some real confidence instead of the ficticious confidence of being given minutes without earning them.

JordyG

Reaction Score
This.

I would add that in the 4th Qtr things were finally clicking a bit offensively. Ducharme made some nice plays and shots. I'm sure Geno was looking to build on that, particularly after the struggles this team has had in its half-court offense.
I complained in the chat (as well as @CocoHusky) that the team didn't react well to the zone by either finding the weak side corner or flashing to the post. Also that was me before the season complaining about CW's inconsistencies, and that if Azzi would have stepped up (and she still has the chance to do so) CW's starting spot would be in serious jeopardy. I was pretty much lambasted with comments, some thoughtful, some snarky. I still however stand by my statement.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
An MRI is certainly definitive, but a properly done physical assessment/examination of the knee is typically very accurate at determining whether the ACL is torn. Again, an MRI will be definitive.

Geno did say the team Docs did a quick examination of her.

JordyG

Reaction Score
the doctors will know a lot before the MRI: amount of swelling tonight, pain, how structurally sound the knee is, etc. Usually, you will hear "rumors" that that they fear it is torn before the MRI is done.
You are correct sir.

Reaction Score
E90A865F-2CD9-485A-8964-2C88F0B54578.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members