MRI needed to diagnose knee injury (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MRI needed to diagnose knee injury (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Here's the difference...there's a reason for her to practiHere's the difference...there's a reason for her to practice. And there's a reason for her to walk to class. But there is NO REASON to be in the game in the closing minutes of a blowout.
Sorry, not sorry.
I know you are new here, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but there is no reason to end your post with a disrespectful remark. Hopefully we can all agree to disagree on the BY without being disagreeable.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Paige was exactly where she wanted to be......on the court. Geno couldn't have seen this coming and it was a freak thing and had nothing to do with her being on the court at that time. It's just where she was when it happened. I hate it for this great player.....she is one of a kind......get back soon Paige !

Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. There was 40 seconds left in a game we had already won. I’ve said this before today, we don’t give enough minutes to the bench when the game has been decided. You can argue all you want, but if the goal is to win games, then once that is accomplished the bench should be playing. In today’s example, you leave yourself open to 2nd guessing. Practice must be played by everyone, at 100%, all the time. If an injury occurs it’s bad luck. However, in a game already decided, its open to debate. I’ve never agreed with the approach where your best players play to the end. The goal is to win. Once you have achieved the win, it’s time to get the bench minutes.

EDIT: That’s why its called a team.

Reaction Score
As human beings we are both able to feel compassion about an injured player and at the same time wonder why said star player was in a 20 point game with little time left.
This isn’t that hard.
And this isn’t just me knocking Geno, other coaches do it too. So consider me being baffled by ALL coaches that do this regardless of the sport.
The negatives FAR out way any potential positives some of you have listed.
And again it gives you a chance to let some kids at the bottom of the roster see the floor.
Any way I guess we will agree to disagree and so be it
Doesn’t happen often but it does happen. Wes Welker, cuz Coach Bill wanted to go 17-0. They lost the SB that year.

There was zero reason for her to be out there at that time now someone did mention this injury may have been a ticking time bomb. All the more reason to monitor playing time of your most important player who you are counting on to log big minutes later in the season. Coaches will have their reasons and justify their decision. It’s still meaningless.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Thank you all armchair coaches for your insightful rhetoric. If Paige wanted to be out there and Geno thought it was the right thing to do - for a number of possible reasons - then I'm ok with it. He has more coaching experience than I do.

More importantly let's all hope Paige has just a minor injury. No one wants to see any player get hurt.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
A few thoughts—

Paige is a single person, and also a member of a team. While her talent and skill are singular, as a person she is one teammate among others. So if, to satisfy some finger pointers who must find a target to blame, Paige were not on the court when her injury occurred, another member of the team would be, and thus would be subject to the same risk of injury. I would mourn an injury to Piath or Mir or Caroline equally.

Paige may have been on the floor not to score points, but to help a rookie get settled in and confident. Help develop the bench player, as some often advocate.

In a context far removed from sport, someone once taught me that anger is not an emotion per se, but the overt manifestation of an underlying emotion, typically fear. She said to me, “When you feel anger, try to stop for a moment. Scratch that anger. Find out what's driving it. If it's fear, you will be able to identify what causes it, and try to address the cause.”. For those who are showing anger towards Geno, those might be words to ponder.

I wish Paige a quick and full recovery. And I wish my fellow forum members, including those with whom I may disagree, peace, patience and tolerance.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. There was 40 seconds left in a game we had already won. I’ve said this before today, we don’t give enough minutes to the bench when the game has been decided. You can argue all you want, but if the goal is to win games, then once that is accomplished the bench should be playing. In today’s example, you leave yourself open to 2nd guessing. Practice must be played by everyone, at 100%, all the time. If an injury occurs it’s bad luck. However, in a game already decided, its open to debate. I’ve never agreed with the approach where your best players play to the end. The goal is to win. Once you have achieved the win, it’s time to get the bench minutes.

I think at some level, Geno is thinking he did not want to put out an inferior product in a Marquee game at Gampel and he explicitly said in the presser he does not like what his team looks like on the floor when Paige is not on the court. That might piss me off if I am CW and Evina but that's another story

At some level, I understand the sentiment but the degree in which geno pushes this is sometimes way too extreme for my blood.

Maybe there should be an NCAA rule. A team up 20 points with under 3 minutes left must sit all 1st team AA's

Reaction Score
Praying for Paige to be all right! Depressing to see all the sniping and negativity. Nothing wrong with criticism, thoughtful comments about what you see as poor, wrong decisions that Geno (or anyone else) makes or offering a counterpoint/alternate opinion on comments, arguments, statements etc but it does seem as though there is a far more “mean/negative undertone to many of the posts on the Boneyard lately. I have surely contributed to this myself and am committing myself to making a sincere effort to reread my posts before posting and to avoid snarky, ad hominem, and personal statements and/or attacks on my fellow Boneyarders, no matter how wrong they happen to be.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If she wasn't in, it wouldn't have happened. That's why you put your star players on the bench when game is decided. To avoid the fluke injuries.
Im pretty sure the overwhelming number of these injuries do not happen in garbage time. Youre point is almost as silly as saying "this is why girls shouldnt play sports."

JBK

Reaction Score
She was hurt dribbling the ball up. There was no contact. In this case, that played no role whatsoever.
Do you think playing on an exhausted leg can be more prone to injury at any speed ?
She deserved a Gampel standing O for another great game -
That is all in the past and I know we all wish her the best going forward.

Reaction Score
If a starting QB takes a knee when the game is pretty much over and hurts his knee doing it I'm sure people would second guess the coach for having him out there. But for the 99.9 percent of the time it doesn't happen no one says anything. Paige getting hurt dribbling out the clock was the equivalent of starting QB taking a final knee. It was so flukey the way it happened it could have happened while she was walking to the locker room after the game.
She took two vicious hits in that quarter; one from Dodson in a rebound battle and another from Mabrey that should have been a flagrant. Kudos to the ND coach for immediately taking her out and dressing her down in front of her teammates.

Reaction Score
I think at some level, Geno is thinking he did not want to put out an inferior product in a Marquee game at Gampel and he explicitly said in the presser he does not like what his team looks like on the floor when Paige is not on the court. That might piss me off if I am CW and Evina but that's another story

At some level, I understand the sentiment but the degree in which geno pushes this is sometimes way too extreme for my blood.

Maybe there should be an NCAA rule. A team up 20 points with under 3 minutes left must sit all 1st team AA's
Maybe the NCAA should make a rule that every player on the team must play approximately equal minutes every game. The game gets played in 5 minute increments. Every 5 minutes the horn blows and 5 new players come on the floor. Kind of like youth rec league. The NCAA could also legislate how many shots any player can attempt in any one 5 minute shift.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First and foremost - all the best to Paige for a speedy recovery.

Second, we have a lot of couch coaches. And that's fine. You are entitled to your opinion. But enough is enough. Some of you have been carping on this "get the starters out" and "let the subs play" for a few years now. Give it a rest.

Reaction Score
Let's all hope the MRI is negative as far as a season-ending injury is concerned and that she's back on the court soon. Everyone seems focused on the moment her leg went out from under her. Paige took at least a few shots from Notre Dame players and a few spills to boot. I was at the game and this injury didn't look to be one induced by sudden trauma in the moment as much as an accumulation of stresses that only needed a relatively minor one to cause an injury.

Reaction Score
Easily the worst day ever on the BY: generational player with a serious injury, disrespectful and disgraceful comments everywhere, visitors making false statements and just trying to cause trouble.

Reaction Score
Or a torn MCL or a torn PCL or a sprain of one of them or a torn meniscus. Etc.
I hope it's not a torn meniscus. That always sounds like a less serious injury than an ACL, MCL etc, but eventually it leads to bone on bone and difficulties later in career and life. I hate hearing torn meniscus. Hoping it's just a sprain and no structural damage.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Actually, with most programs you would be right. But with this program, the goal is NOT to win individual games; the goal is to so adjust the various parts of the team so as to have its best chance of winning another National Championship. All else is subordinate to that.

Reaction Score
Summary of the excuses posted here:
-she could have been hurt in practice;
-she was just dribbling. There was no contact;
-the game wasn't over;
-GA keeps his starters in a bit late; he wins, that's what matters;
-no continuity on offense, need PB and team to get repetitions;
-need time to build team confidence, execution and chemistry;
-bench players need time with PB to learn to play together;
-flukey, like a QB taking a knee;
-blah, blah, blah;

The facts:
-Up 19 with less than a minute to go with all 5 starters in;
-MP: PB 39, ONO 34, CW 33, AE/EW/DJ 22 each, NM/CD14 each
-first meaningful minutes for NM and CD (14% of total MP while scoring 27% of Tyler Phommachanh);
-MP: McLean, Gabriel, DeBerry, Fudd and Griffin: 0 MP each.
- and AG are injured.
-Are PG, AD and MM injured?
-MM played 6.9 minutes per game in 24 games last year but only 3.5 per game in 2 games this year. Is she hurt or a recruiting mistake?

Bottom Line:
-PB got hurt playing in the last minute of a game that was over. -All the starters were in with a 19 point lead and less than a minute to play.
-Three uninjured reserves did not get into the game.
-GA used to take out the starters in the last couple minutes with a big lead to give the fans a chance to show their appreciation for a great effort in a big game.

Maybe it's time for GA to look at some old game videos where he pulled his starters with under a minute to go so fans could show their appreciation for their efforts in a great win.......and not have to live with how he'll feel if PB suffered a serious injury.
Not towing or this post out, but these posts declaring that Paige’s injury occurred because she was in the game are just silly, or maybe ignorant of the fact that the injury had nothing to do with Paige being in the game. It just happened while she was in the game. Akin to saying the Jets lost today because I was in the stadium.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There are things that happen in life and on the basketball court that are not someone's fault. The need some here (and elsewhere) have to blame Geno for this is really, really weird.

Paige was dribbling the ball up the court while barely guarded by the Notre Dame defender. She chose to accelerate in bringing the ball over the half-court line and a freakish thing happened with her foot, ankle and knee. Notre Dame still had its best players on the court as far as I could tell.

The UConn half-court offense has not been good so far this season. Geno has talked about a lack of flow, which has been obvious even to the untrained eyes on this board. Things started to click in the 4th quarter. Though the game was out of reach, I'm thinking Geno was focused more on continuing the good flow to the offense and building confidence than calling a timeout to get his starters out of the game. I'm not sure any coach would think at the 1 minute mark that the starters should be removed so that a freakish injury while dribbling the ball up the court doesn't occur.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

i looked at this a few times, but it's clear at first glance. paige did the ol tap toe texas two step, which usually ends up a triple crown for the shock wave -ankle, knee, and hip. none, one, two, or three can have the 'o crap,' sumthin hurts affect. toss in the patella got jiggled too, and something is bound to feel out of sorts.
hopefully, she has the fairly common result of just letting it all settle back for a bit (what's the rush?), with the attendant soreness and/or shakiness.
if sumthing is truly injured, the pix will show it. i like what coach said 'hyperextended,' a formerly often used 'diagnosis' which is usually the case.
hmmm, paige, azzi, adama, tyrese, -gettin close to a college allstar team now on a video game team. i bet they all text each other.
get well soon paige.

Reaction Score
I am hoping that there is no serious damage, and that Paige can bounce back. My prayers are with her.

Yes it was a fluke injury that no one could have seen coming. Do I blame Geno, no not really. The game was winding down. But at around the 4 minute mark I said to Mrs. Skeets "why the heck does Geno still have Paige in the game"? I was, and still am, sick to my stomach over the injury when Paige should have been cheering the end of the bench players from the bench, like back in the old days.

Reaction Score
Watching the full replay of the play when Paige got injured ... she started near the foul line at the ND basket. Before she got to half court she did a little herky jerky movement with her legs to fake the ND defender. During that move her left knee hyper extended...it can be seen on replay. Paige continued on...until the pain got too much. A total fluke while making a move that may not have been necessary given the space between Paige and the defender.

Wishing the best for Paige

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel