MRI needed to diagnose knee injury (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MRI needed to diagnose knee injury (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is no defending keeping your best players in games that are decided. There just isn’t.
The reason you take them out is to avoid any types of injuries-flukey or not- in meaningless minutes.
Plus taking them out allows you the added benefit of giving the end of your roster a chance to log a few minutes just in case god forbid you suffer a rash of injuries at that position.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
She was hurt dribbling the ball up. There was no contact. In this case, that played no role whatsoever.
Tht injury could of happened in next weeks practice run thru, she was dribbling the ball up court and fell w/o any contact, maybe running to the bench after being subbed out, we've seen her play in a bunch of games where she's played to the last minute or so, now if Geno was Nostradamus she probably would have been off the floor..but alas, he didn't see it coming.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Let’s all take a deep breath and stop the “Paige should have been out of the game argument”. As some have already pointed out, the same injury could have just as easily occurred during practice. I would add that the same injury could occur slipping on an icy patch while walking to class.

Reaction Score
Let’s all take a deep breath and stop the “Paige should have been out of the game argument”. As some have already pointed out, the same injury could have just as easily occurred during practice. I would add that the same injury could occur slipping on an icy patch while walking to class.

Here's the difference...there's a reason for her to practice. And there's a reason for her to walk to class. But there is NO REASON to be in the game in the closing minutes of a blowout.

Sorry, not sorry.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Exactly!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Okay, let's understand how basketball works and what is happening with this team. It's a team that has shown little to no continuity on offense and has had difficulty getting its shooters into position to shoot the ball. Paige is the only guard on the team that can break defenses down off the dribble. The two ways these issues are addressed is with repetitions in practice and in game. You need both. You can practice all you want, but you need in game court time to build confidence, execution, and chemistry. Unfortunately, this UConn team is incapable of doing any of those things when Paige sits. That's why Paige was on the floor and that's why Geno will have her on the floor as much as possible.
But, it is possible that because she WAS on the floor, now she will NOT be on the floor.

Reaction Score
If she wasn't in, it wouldn't have happened. That's why you put your star players on the bench when game is decided. To avoid the fluke injuries.
yes it would have, this was a ticking timebomb. If not now, in practice, or in the game vs Gtech. Wear and tear played a roll in this. Now if you want to say maybe she shouldn't have played that many minutes this season, it's kind of hard when the rest of the team doesn't live up to their standard.

Reaction Score
Summary of the excuses posted here:
-she could have been hurt in practice;
-she was just dribbling. There was no contact;
-the game wasn't over;
-GA keeps his starters in a bit late; he wins, that's what matters;
-no continuity on offense, need PB and team to get repetitions;
-need time to build team confidence, execution and chemistry;
-bench players need time with PB to learn to play together;
-flukey, like a QB taking a knee;
-blah, blah, blah;

The facts:
-Up 19 with less than a minute to go with all 5 starters in;
-MP: PB 39, ONO 34, CW 33, AE/EW/DJ 22 each, NM/CD14 each
-first meaningful minutes for NM and CD (14% of total MP while scoring 27% of Tyler Phommachanh);
-MP: McLean, Gabriel, DeBerry, Fudd and Griffin: 0 MP each.
- and AG are injured.
-Are PG, AD and MM injured?
-MM played 6.9 minutes per game in 24 games last year but only 3.5 per game in 2 games this year. Is she hurt or a recruiting mistake?

Bottom Line:
-PB got hurt playing in the last minute of a game that was over. -All the starters were in with a 19 point lead and less than a minute to play.
-Three uninjured reserves did not get into the game.
-GA used to take out the starters in the last couple minutes with a big lead to give the fans a chance to show their appreciation for a great effort in a big game.

Maybe it's time for GA to look at some old game videos where he pulled his starters with under a minute to go so fans could show their appreciation for their efforts in a great win.......and not have to live with how he'll feel if PB suffered a serious injury.

Reaction Score
C
Geno keeps his starters in a bit late, but he wins for the team and that is what matters
Can you imagine the turmoil from 1000 fans had Geno taken Paige out in the last 8 minutes and Uconn LOST?? Damned if he does Damned if he doesn't.

Reaction Score
I’ve often questioned why I have such a visceral reaction to Muffet
Today offered two clues.
First her successor Niel Ivey immediately took Mabry out of the game and talked to her after the unnecessary foul of Paige.
Then Dawn Daley genuinely offered her best wishes to Paige

I just don’t see Muffet doing that for “ number 5”.

Reaction Score
I’ve often questioned why I have such a visceral reaction to Muffet
Today offered two clues.
First her successor Niel Ivey immediately took Mabry out of the game and talked to her after the unnecessary foul of Paige.
Then Dawn Daley genuinely offered her best wishes to Paige

I just don’t see Muffet doing that for “ number 5”.
I don't think anyone on Uconn gave wishes for Raven Johnson. If you hate Notre Dame just say it, but don't use this as an excuse to hate ND.

Reaction Score
Okay, let's understand how basketball works and what is happening with this team. It's a team that has shown little to no continuity on offense and has had difficulty getting its shooters into position to shoot the ball. Paige is the only guard on the team that can break defenses down off the dribble. The two ways these issues are addressed is with repetitions in practice and in game. You need both. You can practice all you want, but you need in game court time to build confidence, execution, and chemistry. Unfortunately, this UConn team is incapable of doing any of those things when Paige sits. That's why Paige was on the floor and that's why Geno will have her on the floor as much as possible.
Thank you.

This team has been playing games in practice mode, they are more concerned with doing everything perfectly than in focusing their awareness on what's happening in front of them and reacting to it. They are too concerned about making a mistake. (except Bueckers and maybe Westbrook) Time should take care of things.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone on Uconn gave wishes for Raven Johnson. If you hate Notre Dame just say it, but don't use this as an excuse to hate ND.
This wasn't hate about notre dame it was dislike for muffet which people have valid reasons not to like her dating back years

Reaction Score
First, I need to say that I wish Paige a very speedy and full recovery.

I admit that I'm chuckling a bit at some of the fans here on The BY, who just a day or two ago, were calling for Paige to be benched so that the others would "step up to the plate and not rely on Paige so much."

Well, you got your wish (I know no one wanted Paige to get injured), let's see what happens.

Reaction Score
The point is that it happened. You can't redo the past. We all went to the Seton Hall game and saw her live for the first time. Needless to say, became even bigger Paige fans. We are all very depressed here.

It brought back many bad memories. My daughter tore her ACL 3 times. It is a full year at the least. She was playing like no one else, maybe ever.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If she wasn't in, it wouldn't have happened. That's why you put your star players on the bench when game is decided. To avoid the fluke injuries.
Ever notice that there seems to be an inverse relationship between the number of posts in the level of inflammatory rhetoric some posters have?

Reaction Score
As human beings we are both able to feel compassion about an injured player and at the same time wonder why said star player was in a 20 point game with little time left.
This isn’t that hard.
And this isn’t just me knocking Geno, other coaches do it too. So consider me being baffled by ALL coaches that do this regardless of the sport.
The negatives FAR out way any potential positives some of you have listed.
And again it gives you a chance to let some kids at the bottom of the roster see the floor.
Any way I guess we will agree to disagree and so be it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member