Momentum | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Momentum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's over! It's all over! UConn...is the administrative National Champions of 2018!

Hey you mock it but we need it to make up for the championships Geno is choking away lately.

Reaction Score
if we wanna drum up football topics on the football page then why don't we talk football?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
How is Scoot the voice of reason?

View attachment 30931

I love an epic whaler rant, but your post stole the show! Good stuff.

I'll have to advance my planned schedule on my annual post of how UConn will achieve undefeatedness this year, so that whaler doesn't stroke out or worse; become a Clemson fan.

Until that point in time, I'll be looking for a bull named Fumanchu...

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
who doesn’t like to toss the ‘ole bean bag at wedding receptions?

Reaction Score
I would not be upset if UConn football moved down to the FCS. I know that is blasphemy but if that is the level we should be playing at then let's do it.

I am sick and tired of all the losing but not willing to give up just yet. Temple was kicked out of the Big East and the have been AAC champs. There are serious talks of an on campus stadium in Philadelphia. They play in the same conference as UCONN. USF was just as bad as UCONN a couple of years ago and last year they were a top25 team. Memphis was putrid not too many years ago, they too have turned things around. Last year top 25. UCONN football has hit rock bottom but I believe Randy Edsall is going to turn the program around. FCS - screw that!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am sick and tired of all the losing but not willing to give up just yet. Temple was kicked out of the Big East and the have been AAC champs. There are serious talks of an on campus stadium in Philadelphia. They play in the same conference as UCONN. USF was just as bad as UCONN a couple of years ago and last year they were a top25 team. Memphis was putrid not too many years ago, they too have turned things around. Last year top 25. UCONN football has hit rock bottom but I believe Randy Edsall is going to turn the program around. FCS - screw that!

They will drop football altogether before they go FCS.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
On the bright side there is an actual person of competence that can save the football program.

Danny Hurley. It he can win big in the American he can keep this whole thing on life support longer.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They will drop football altogether before they go FCS.

Right and replace it with E sports.

Dropping football altogether would put us in special company I would not care to have. Since 1956, the only schools to win a Mens Basketball title and not have a D1 football programs was the University of San Francisco in '56 and Loyola-Chicago in '63.

The logical place to drop to is the Colonial football league, but they probably wouldn't have us (getting crowded in there - already have 12 teams), so maybe we just stay at this level and go independent and play UMass 6 times and BYU 6 times.

List of NCAA Division I men's basketball champions - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The logical place to drop to is the Colonial football league, but they probably wouldn't have us (getting crowded in there - already have 12 teams), so maybe we just stay at this level and go independent and play UMass 6 times and BYU 6 times.

When Nova and JMU go FBS, it should open up a slot for us and UMess in the CAA ;)

Reaction Score
Right and replace it with E sports.

Dropping football altogether would put us in special company I would not care to have. Since 1956, the only schools to win a Mens Basketball title and not have a D1 football programs was the University of San Francisco in '56 and Loyola-Chicago in '63.

List of NCAA Division I men's basketball champions - Wikipedia

It makes zero sense to drop to FCS.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It makes zero sense to drop to FCS.
Someone needs to tell the 125+ school’s playing at the FCS level what they are doing makes zero sense. Playing FCS makes more sense to me than dropping football altogether. The list of schools with a major athletic profile without any football is short to non existent.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to tell the 125+ school’s playing at the FCS level what they are doing makes zero sense. Playing FCS makes more sense to me than dropping football altogether. The list of schools with a major athletic profile without any football is short to non existent.
FCS makes no sense for us. You built the rent. If you can't fill the place now FCS will look like the Yale Bowl most days. Also, the point would be to lower the subsidy by a lot. FCS still loses millions.

Reaction Score
FCS makes no sense for us. You built the rent. If you can't fill the place now FCS will look like the Yale Bowl most days. Also, the point would be to lower the subsidy by a lot. FCS still loses millions.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

What FCS schools are doing makes zero sense and a lot of them are going to have to deal with in the medium term.

They would lose even MORE money in FCS.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What FCS schools are doing makes zero sense and a lot of them are going to have to deal with in the medium term.

They would lose even MORE money in FCS.
Yes 125 schools doing something that makes zero sense and we know this because we are on a message board and they are not. All college sports are subsidized. To lessen the subsidy we will dramatically reduce the coach headcount and salaries and all the suppport.

But my point is like it or not you can’t run a serious athletic program without at least an FCS level football team. Outside of Gonzaga, Georgetown and St Johns, what schools can we name as serious sports schools without football? It’s a short short list.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes 125 schools doing something that makes zero sense and we know this because we are on a message board and they are not. All college sports are subsidized. To lessen the subsidy we will dramatically reduce the coach headcount and salaries and all the suppport.

But my point is like it or not you can’t run a serious athletic program without at least an FCS level football team. Outside of Gonzaga, Georgetown and St Johns, what schools can we name as serious sports schools without football? It’s a short short list.

This is pretty simple. FCS is not an option.

You lose the same if not more money on FCS. There is zero revenue.

The list with no football isn’t that different from the list with FCS.

Wichita, Xavier, Creighton, Gonzaga there are some others.

Georgetown has a football team.

The FCS list has Villanova. That’s the only difference.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I thought there was some good vibes and buzz at the spring game. It’s was a very healthy showing and core interest remains strong.

As much as I put a fair share of this debacle on Suzie Lax, the Rock Star and their predecessors, at present there is not much that can be done other than grind it out and hope RE 2.0 can get it back on track.

What I don’t like already in RE 2.0 and AD Dave dynamics is the loss Lashley (a very talented OC and Grimes a great OL coach) and the retention of Crocker, an utterly incompetent tool. It violates good management principles - clean out underperformers quickly and retain your best talent. AD Dave can’t allow RE 2.0. to get away with another version of PP and GDL. Active oversight and management is required.

In RE I trust...mostly

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is pretty simple. FCS is not an option.

You lose the same if not more money on FCS. There is zero revenue.

The list with no football isn’t that different from the list with FCS.

Wichita, Xavier, Creighton, Gonzaga there are some others.

Georgetown has a football team.

The FCS list has Villanova. That’s the only difference.
Yes, it’s pretty simple- the university would drop to FCS rather than abruptly ends its near 100 year history in the sport all together. I don’t see us becoming St Johns or Xavier. If Maine, UNH and Rhode Island can run a leaky FCS program, then sure as hell we are going to do it too. Bubble gum and band aids.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, it’s pretty simple- the university would drop to FCS rather than abruptly ends its near 100 year history in the sport all together. I don’t see us becoming St Johns or Xavier. If Maine, UNH and Rhode Island can run a leaky FCS program, then sure as hell we are going to do it too. Bubble gum and band aids.

Other than the point of the change would be to save money and your bubble gum and band aids would actually cost more.... sure.

You saw how Rhode Island can run a leaky FCS program. They choose keeping it over funding what it would cost to keep someone like Hurley.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Honestly, I thought there was some good vibes and buzz at the spring game. It’s was a very healthy showing and core interest remains strong.

As much as I put a fair share of this debacle on Suzie Lax, the Rock Star and their predecessors, at present there is not much that can be done other than grind it out and hope RE 2.0 can get it back on track.

What I don’t like already in RE 2.0 and AD Dave dynamics is the loss Lashley (a very talented OC and Grimes a great OL coach) and the retention of Crocker, an utterly incompetent tool. It violates good management principles - clean out underperformers quickly and retain your best talent. AD Dave can’t allow RE 2.0. to get away with another version of PP and GDL. Active oversight and management is required.

In RE I trust...mostly

If you think Crocker is an incompetent tool, I hope he’s kept in the DC spot for life.

Reaction Score

In RE I trust...mostly
Generally speaking a plan that involves hope isn't a good one. For example I've been hoping to become a millionaire playing lottery for the better part of 20 years. Its not going very good.

Reaction Score
Sacred Cows man. That is essentially what FCS is. Plus cheap programming for the espnwatch app.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Other than the point of the change would be to save money and your bubble gum and band aids would actually cost more.... sure.
Do you have evidence the financial holes to run FCS football are deeper than our current deficit or you just making that up? 125+ programs on the stupid bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom