Momentum | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Momentum

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Honest question...do you have the option to agree or disagree? Or is the schedule dictated. My guess is there is not way around this. RE is usually pretty smart about scheduling. He knows this isn't ideal...so there must have been no other option.

Based on the way it was announced it seemed as though they wanted/requested it - but if it was jammed down their throats my apologies to whomever I shot to the sun.

Reaction Score
Like I would drink cheap whiskey.

Quite the opposite ol chap. I’m noting how dead the program is because I worry about it’s ongoing existance and I’m a bigger football fan than basketball.

TIL that you can only discuss one sport at a time. Look on the bright side - bashing me got a handful of people thinking about football. BTW the spring game got just about zero attention here.

Why thank you. You are the quintessential guy who has nothing of substance to add so just attacks me personally.

I guess even an expectation that there would be any interest or discussion of a ‘P6’ football program is too high a standard.

Drumming up even one iota of interest in the program must not be a scored category for ADMINISTRATIVE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS.

When the drumbeats get loud on making football go away hopefully we have an argument against it.

NOPE.

O ... wise business Guy. I see you as nothing but pissing on whatever is going on. Jimmy Serrano and you stating that the UConn Athletic Department is at the absolute ebb of our existence (recently). You lack perspective; you lack the evaluation skill to see what is so very right with UConn AD; you lack the capacity to understand a Business Plan through development years into CF. When you keep spouting your credentials ... I think ... he is a Day Trader who never created nor managed anything of substance ever. In my years of attending games at UConn (with my UConn Dad), then attendance at the University, watching ALL the Walt Nadzak years on and ALL the Jim Calhoun rise and keeping up/attending UConn Hockey, Baseball, Girls BB, Soccer etc ... I think you two are crazy. WE HAVE TREMENDOUS PROGRAMS ... and the last 6 Football years and Kevin Ollie are a blip that you sometimes get in Sport.

Reaction Score
I mean, let's start the season against the defending national champs....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
NOPE.

O ... wise business Guy. I see you as nothing but pissing on whatever is going on. Jimmy Serrano and you stating that the UConn Athletic Department is at the absolute ebb of our existence (recently). You lack perspective; you lack the evaluation skill to see what is so very right with UConn AD; you lack the capacity to understand a Business Plan through development years into CF. When you keep spouting your credentials ... I think ... he is a Day Trader who never created nor managed anything of substance ever. In my years of attending games at UConn (with my UConn Dad), then attendance at the University, watching ALL the Walt Nadzak years on and ALL the Jim Calhoun rise and keeping up/attending UConn Hockey, Baseball, Girls BB, Soccer etc ... I think you two are crazy. WE HAVE TREMENDOUS PROGRAMS ... and the last 6 Football years and Kevin Ollie are a blip that you sometimes get in Sport.

I’d probably write something coherent before attacking someone’s credentials, but that’s just me - you do you.

When you get a chance explain why such a tremendous athletic department is so completely and totally broke? Maybe your Dad explained it at a soccer game in 1978.

Little known fact - you aren’t the only person who has been watching UConn sports for a long time.

Maybe next time instead of melting down like a lunatic because someone has an opinion you don’t like... come up with a defense for your position more applicable than my dad took me to games. While that’s a nice trip down memory lane for us - it doesn’t really help understand why they can’t draw 18k for home football games.

Maybe your rant would make more sense if I commented on women’s basketball or soccer or baseball? I must have forgotten when I posted the women’s basketball program isn’t good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BTW whomever agreed to play UCF on opening night should be shot to the sun.

Let’s have our completely inexperienced defense get lit up for 120+ points the first two weeks so that everyone has given up on the season by mid-September.

Hope it doesn’t hurt our 2018 ADMINISTRATIVE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP bid.
Every team in college football loses talent every year and UCF is not different. Not only do they lose a number of key starters, they lost their Head Coach, the AAC coach of the year, and their coaching staff. Let's look at what UCF:

On offense, they lose 4 starters: their top WR, LT, RG, and TE. They lost 2 out of the top 3 receivers and 4 of their top 10 OL. The three TEs on the depth chart graduated. Back-up QB left. They bring back starting QB (AAC offensive player of the year) and RB, 3 OL starters, and two WRs.

On defense, they lose 6 starters: Both DEs, one OLB, one ILB, and both CBs. That is 4 starters from the front 7.

UCF should come into the UConn game ranked in the top 25. UConn will be the home team and an underdog. UCF will be playing their first game under a new coaching staff. If UConn loses big, it will be what most expected. If UConn beats UCF, that will generate the momentum that you are looking for. I am not a moral victory guy, but if UConn keeps it close, fans will think the turn is near.

UConn has nothing to lose and everything to gain by playing UCF opening night.

Reaction Score
I wrote a long reply and the machine ate it.

The cheap version:
1. Try. There is zero effort right now. Zero is generous.
2. You’ve got free/cheap labor in your marketing majors - we already know the kids get promotion better than the professionals we have. Jalen Adams gets it better than anything the AD does. There are a half dozen social media platforms they can leverage for free.
3. Market what you are actually selling. Stop wasting your money on TV commercials focused on tailgating.
4. The scoreboard end of Rentschler Field is an excellent opportunity to design something that would make people want to attend. The model of sit here in your seat is fading - just look at how many people stand behind the red line.
5. Completely revisit the way they price and sell tickets. Stop saddling football fans with tack on costs for funding other facilities. Make growing the football fanbase the priority - stop bleeding them for non-revenue sports. Have more than a one year view on revenue (lol).
6. There should be someone in a Jonathan costume at every fair and festival in the state accompanied by someone selling tickets
7. Partner with your sponsors - why are they not in the Travelers cafe twice a summer selling tickets for example.

Do something - if the best anyone can come up with is - we stink can’t try we should probably find someone who thinks a little more of what they are selling.
Okay, I misunderstood what you meant when you said create a buzz. I think those are all good ideas, but nothing that will "generate buzz".

It's difficult getting Jonathan to show up for events, i've tried in the past and the AD makes it near impossible. But it's a student (or 2, 3) in the costume, and they do have their own lives/responsibilities to take care of.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’d probably write something coherent before attacking someone’s credentials, but that’s just me - you do you.

When you get a chance explain why such a tremendous athletic department is so completely and totally broke? Maybe your Dad explained it at a soccer game in 1978.

Little known fact - you aren’t the only person who has been watching UConn sports for a long time.

Maybe next time instead of melting down like a lunatic because someone has an opinion you don’t like... come up with a defense for your position more applicable than my dad took me to games. While that’s a nice trip down memory lane for us - it doesn’t really help understand why they can’t draw 18k for home football games.

Maybe your rant would make more sense if I commented on women’s basketball or soccer or baseball? I must have forgotten when I posted the women’s basketball program isn’t good.

Are there people who need help understanding this? The team has been bad for several years. It played horrifically boring football most of that time. The state has no history of support for major college football in modern times. There is no existing college football culture upon which to build a fan base. There is a massive competition for people's time on game days, especially since most football fans in the area will be giving up their Sundays to the NFL. So yardwork, kids sports, other necessities of life will be a priority over UConn football.

That said, Connecticut fans will typically support a winner. Win, and they will increase attendance. Win for the next 20 years and they can build a culture of attendance that can sustain through losing seasons.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Every team in college football loses talent every year and UCF is not different. Not only do they lose a number of key starters, they lost their Head Coach, the AAC coach of the year, and their coaching staff. Let's look at what UCF:

On offense, they lose 4 starters: their top WR, LT, RG, and TE. They lost 2 out of the top 3 receivers and 4 of their top 10 OL. The three TEs on the depth chart graduated. Back-up QB left. They bring back starting QB (AAC offensive player of the year) and RB, 3 OL starters, and two WRs.

On defense, they lose 6 starters: Both DEs, one OLB, one ILB, and both CBs. That is 4 starters from the front 7.

UCF should come into the UConn game ranked in the top 25. UConn will be the home team and an underdog. UCF will be playing their first game under a new coaching staff. If UConn loses big, it will be what most expected. If UConn beats UCF, that will generate the momentum that you are looking for. I am not a moral victory guy, but if UConn keeps it close, fans will think the turn is near.

UConn has nothing to lose and everything to gain by playing UCF opening night.

They have plenty to lose.

If you get blown out 51-7, you can shatter your team’s confidence and declare to the fans they aren’t worth watching - all before Labor Day.

Nobody in their right mind would want to play the two best teams on the schedule weeks 1 and 2 with that defense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But it's a student (or 2, 3) in the costume, and they do have their own lives/responsibilities to take care of.

That’s why it’s a... job.

Reaction Score
They have plenty to lose.

If you get blown out 51-7, you can shatter your team’s confidence and declare to the fans they aren’t worth watching - all before Labor Day.

Nobody in their right mind would want to play the two best teams on the schedule weeks 1 and 2 with that defense.

UCF will be playing their first game, under a new coach, on the road. And, UCF will not be as good as last year. I'm excited.

Reaction Score
That’s why it’s a... job.
I found the email discussion I had. As of 2012 they only had 1 costume. In addition, just because we don't hear about Jonathan attending an event, doesn't mean it's not happening. My request was turned down because the costume was promised for an internal event.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I found the email discussion I had. As of 2012 they only had 1 costume. In addition, just because we don't hear about Jonathan attending an event, doesn't mean it's not happening. My request was turned down because the costume was promised for an internal event.

My radical idea would require multiple costumes. I know it’s aggressive.

Reaction Score
My radical idea would require multiple costumes. I know it’s aggressive.
Yeah I totally agree, I was just passing along information. I forgot to include the face palm at the end of my post.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Whaler go back to where you belong these fans are trying to enjoy their offseason in peace.

Reaction Score

I’m with businesslawyer ... Why?

I guess you don’t want shark week or Anthony Bourdain.

You’re just begging for attention and eager to spit & bully

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m with businesslawyer ... Why?

I guess you don’t want shark week or Anthony Bourdain.

You’re just begging for attention and eager to spit & bully

Why did I NOTE... there is little DISCUSSION of the football TEAM on the football board... certainly a nefarious reason.... SCANDALOUS... blind TO THE trajectory.... john TONER

I’m so wrong that you’ve got no material beyond attacking me personally. I’m guessing you don’t see the irony.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe next time instead of melting down like a lunatic because someone has an opinion you don’t like... come up with a defense for your position more applicable than my dad took me to games.

#unintentionallyironic

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don’t you generally classify unhinged ranting as #winning?
Let's see, have I called you a winner? Then, no. Lol.

Whaler, I'll pass on Cesspool style pissing contest with you on the Football board. The one you had with Superjohn on the MBB board got the two of you banned. I'm out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let's see, have I called you a winner? Then, no. Lol.

Whaler, I'll pass on Cesspool style pissing contest with you on the Football board. The one you had with Superjohn on the MBB board got the two of you banned. I'm out.

The one you tried to start? Bye bye.

Reaction Score
Honest question...do you have the option to agree or disagree? Or is the schedule dictated. My guess is there is not way around this. RE is usually pretty smart about scheduling. He knows this isn't ideal...so there must have been no other option.

We don't have much of a say in the conference scheduling. You can whine about it to the Commissioner, but his job -- especially as we near the next contract -- is to make the networks happy and drive up viewership as much as he can. If he started listening to each AD whining about the order of the schedule, he couldn't make a schedule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A valiant effort to stir things up. At least he is trying ....

Reaction Score
NOPE.

Aren’t you and your dad in the world of academia? What would you know about business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom