Missou vs So Carolina & Arkansas vs Tenn- 1/21/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“Pat would have been proud how we fought tonight”

Seems like in previous years, Holly would look like she was going to cry during these post-game pressers after one of these losses, but she seems pretty OK, more composed this year. Maybe she is getting used to it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Westbrook was really good during the comeback, but the game is not 1 against 5...hardly ever works (unless the player's name is DT)

OT: Nan, a few months ago I used the expression "Chinese Fire Drill" and was criticized (by a mod?) for using a semi-racial
slur...Is that expression back on the approved list?

Point of information: my wife is a Beijing lass. whom I met there working with the National Ballet and I still have close ties.
I'm hardly racist in viewpoint.
I looked it up and it wasn’t me that chastised you, it was one other UConn fan who felt the phrase was insulting. I did a Google search and didn’t see a lot of references to it being an offensive phrase.

My interpretation is close to the Wiki definition:

"Chinese fire drill" is a slang term for a situation that is chaotic or confusing, possibly due to poor or misunderstood instructions. Wikipedia

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This is a UConn board. We're talking about Tennessee. If you can't stomach a little schadenfreude then this is not the place to be.
If I knew what schadenfreude means I might agree with you.

Reaction Score
Tennessee is now at 5 in a row. Their next game is #1 Notre Dame.... I have a feeling Tennessee will lose another again to go to 0-6 in their last 6 games. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I looked it up and it wasn’t me that chastised you, it was one other UConn fan who felt the phrase was insulting. I did a Google search and didn’t see a lot of references to it being an offensive phrase.

My interpretation is close to the Wiki definition:

"Chinese fire drill" is a slang term for a situation that is chaotic or confusing, possibly due to poor or misunderstood instructions. Wikipedia

I wouldn't say it in a roomful of Asian Americans.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Cant say I'm upset with the result. Tennessee will very likely have 6 consecutive losses and hopefully the AD makes his move sooner than later. Westbrook and the Greens looked good....everyone else struggled. If they get a new coach and the players stay then Tennessee could by dynamite next year with Horston and Westbrook in the backcourt. If Holly stays she'll still find a way to tank the team.

Really glad Jackson didnt have an ACL, she is struggling but she works her butt off and you could hear her yell in pain when she went down. She's a good kid so I hope she isnt out for long.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I just noticed that Charlie Creme posted his bracketology update earlier today. He has Tennessee as a #10 seed, basically a bubble team, and that was before the loss to Arkansas.

Bracketology with Charlie Creme

Reaction Score
I just noticed that Charlie Creme posted his bracketology update earlier today. He has Tennessee as a #10 seed, basically a bubble team, and that was before the loss to Arkansas.

Bracketology with Charlie Creme
Given the brackets end up like this, which number 1 seed has the toughest road to the final four?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For all the bad offensive coaching that Holly has shown throughout her tenure two things stand out from the end of this game. First, once again Holly draws up a play with 3.6 secs left that is either too simplistically easy for the defenders to cover or too incoherent for her players to run. Second, in a one point game that was close for the entire final period, Holly still had 3 TO's to use. What's more to say? I stand by my prediction. She's a goner.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Antonelli openly asking now, "Have the players quit on her?" referring to Holly.

Interesting take-- it's the players' fault! That's typical Antonelli.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Holly and the Lady Vols were surprised that Arkansas didn't call a time out after Westbrook's Free throws gave the Lady Vols the lead with 10 seconds left. At the time the Lady Vols had only committed three team fouls. They should have fouled the Arkansas player once she crossed half court. Arkansas should never have gotten a shot off, before the Lady Vols committed a non-shooting foul. If they had, most likely Arkansas doesn't win the game.

Yes that is Coaching 101

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Ahh, the “young kids” card is played by Holly that they have lost close games. Never mind the teams they lost to were #35 Mizzou, #22 Kentucky, #68 Georgia, #113 Alabama, #59 Arkansas with a total of 8 player rated in the Hoopgurlz top 22-60 compared to their 7 players, 4 in top 20. Holly Warlick, Coach of the Lady Vols, the program where 5 Stars go to regress...

Reaction Score
Tennessee is now at 5 in a row. Their next game is #1 Notre Dame.... I have a feeling Tennessee will lose another again to go to 0-6 in their last 6 games. Thoughts?
1 thought 2 words 2 syllables #FYREEEHOLLY

Reaction Score

Holly is a sad replication of redundant jibberish

"Pat would be proud of how we fought".... Really? I think she would be embarrassed....
"The kids are dialed in and playing hard I can't ask more from them".... or something like that....
Really Holly? You really don't expect more from them? They are the best high school players in the country and they are losing to run-of-the-mill players..... and you are not getting beat by effort ... you are getting beat because the other coaches and other team is outsmarting you
"We're not good enough right now" Why not Holly? This is your job
"My staff is killing it" Are you really proud of what your coaching staff is doing?
"They are playing hard they are giving us the opportunity to win".... you mean this is a great achievement....
remember you are playing Arkansas..... your record vs them is 30 and 3
Still not enough assists still too many turnovers.....
If Holly is happy with the effort and subsequent loss to Arkansas.... I wonder what her expectations are vs Notre Dame...

Reaction Score
Ahh, the “young kids” card is played by Holly that they have lost close games. Never mind the teams they lost to were #35 Mizzou, #22 Kentucky, #68 Georgia, #113 Alabama, #59 Arkansas with a total of 8 player rated in the Hoopgurlz top 22-60 compared to their 7 players, 4 in top 20. Holly Warlick, Coach of the Lady Vols, the program where 5 Stars go to regress...

Call it Camp Holly

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The LV's were not much better 2 years ago when they benefited from a 4th period Irish collapse of mammoth proportions and beat an outstanding ND team. I'd guess Massey will make them about a 25 pt favorite.

Exactly my fear. I just looked back at the box score from that game and at Tennessee's schedule that year. Tennessee entered that game 10-6 coming off a loss to Ole Miss. They would go on to lose to Auburn by 18 in their next game.

I do think they had much more talent then with Russell, DeShields, and Nared. As bad as Tennessee is right now, that year was even more indefensible.

The one thing that gives me a little more confidence this year is that I don't really think they have bigs that can handle Turner and Shepard. Russell never really performed to the level of her talent but she was at least decent. ND should dominate the paint this year.

Massey has ND as 20-point favorite as of today and that doesn't factor in the loss to Arkansas.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Exactly my fear. I just looked back at the box score from that game and at Tennessee's schedule that year. Tennessee entered that game 10-6 coming off a loss to Ole Miss. They would go on to lose to Auburn by 18 in their next game.

I do think they had much more talent then with Russell, DeShields, and Nared. As bad as Tennessee is right now, that year was even more indefensible.

The one thing that gives me a little more confidence this year is that I don't really think they have bigs that can handle Turner and Shepard. Russell never really performed to the level of her talent but she was at least decent. ND should dominate the paint this year.

Massey has ND as 20-point favorite as of today and that doesn't factor in the loss to Arkansas.

In addition to Notre Dame, Tennessee that year beat 3 of the 4 Final Four teams including both teams that competed for the title. They also had a slew of horrible losses but they were a dangerous team when they played well. Much different from this year's squad who has 1 okay win against Texas, a bunch of wins against mediocre teams and is 1-5 against mid level SEC teams. Notre Dame has one of its best teams ever and is the #1 team in the country. Tennessee has the horses to keep it close, but I don't see any way this team ends up pulling it out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say it in a roomful of Asian Americans.
This is a topic of which I obviously lack knowledge so going forward @msf22b @SECbbfan24 we will no longer use “Chinese fire drill” here on the Boneyard.

I apologize to anyone who has been offended. My ignorance about this topic allowed the phrase to be used here and I’m sorry.

@JS @Biff

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Really glad Jackson didnt have an ACL, she is struggling but she works her butt off and you could hear her yell in pain when she went down. She's a good kid so I hope she isnt out for long.

I am glad to hear some good news about Jackson's knee. Any more details. Perhaps it is in Holly's presser but not everyone has the stomach to listen to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom