Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Watching Holly’s presser, I was struck by one complement she extended to her team, “I didn’t have to coach effort tonight.” The implication being there are many games when she does.

Contrast that remark with Geno’s comment to his team a few years back, “We don’t coach effort at UConn. That’s what other teams do.”

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Exactly my fear. I just looked back at the box score from that game and at Tennessee's schedule that year. Tennessee entered that game 10-6 coming off a loss to Ole Miss. They would go on to lose to Auburn by 18 in their next game.

I do think they had much more talent then with Russell, DeShields, and Nared. As bad as Tennessee is right now, that year was even more indefensible.

The one thing that gives me a little more confidence this year is that I don't really think they have bigs that can handle Turner and Shepard. Russell never really performed to the level of her talent but she was at least decent. ND should dominate the paint this year.

Massey has ND as 20-point favorite as of today and that doesn't factor in the loss to Arkansas.
Rooting hard for the Lady Vols...solely to save Holly’s job....ok, not solely..:rolleyes:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say it in a roomful of Asian Americans.
I think the meaning of the phrase "Chinese Fire Drill" is ...You would not understand Chinese, therefore it would be confusing.....not that the Chinese are inept.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
most likely Arkansas doesn't win the game.

Most likely is at least a bit strong given Tenn's defensive ineptitude. But you are right, that is what most coaches would have the team do. But Holly is not "most coaches". Have to look elsewhere for a descriptor for Holly. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The thing is they have the players to hang with pretty much anyone.

No they don't. Their defense is way too porous and under defensive pressure they shoot low %es. They are an unschooled, undisciplined bunch of athletes who rarely shoot well as a team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have begun to feel sad for the Tennessee players. I think they deserve better coaching. They seem lost. I don't see how these young women could have anticipated this train wreck when they decided to play at Tennessee.
This train wreck and dumpsters fire was in progress well before .."they decided to play at Tennessee".

Reaction Score
Tennessee pulled to within 3 but then Arkansas stretched the lead back out to 10.

Meme Jackson just went down to an injury right before they broke for commercial. She looked/sounded like she was in a lot of pain.

The SEC/ESPN Network couldn't get out fast enough to their commercial just when Jackson went down.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Watching Holly’s presser, I was struck by one complement she extended to her team, “I didn’t have to coach effort tonight.” The implication being there are many games when she does.

Contrast that remark with Geno’s comment to his team a few years back, “We don’t coach effort at UConn. That’s what other teams do.”

In her presser Holly also said she thought they were ready because they had a couple of hard practices that went well before the Arkansas game. Good grief, a couple? She's soft and her team is young, soft, and not learning very fast.

Reaction Score
For all the bad offensive coaching that Holly has shown throughout her tenure two things stand out from the end of this game. First, once again Holly draws up a play with 3.6 secs left that is either too simplistically easy for the defenders to cover or too incoherent for her players to run. Second, in a one point game that was close for the entire final period, Holly still had 3 TO's to use. What's more to say? I stand by my prediction. She's a goner.

I've said after previous game, Holly should not have called a time out for her to "draw the play". Westbrook in both games has had the hot hand and just let her go at it. With the timeouts the opposing team also gets a chance to set up their defense.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The SEC/ESPN Network couldn't get out fast enough to their commercial just when Jackson went down.
I think it's because she was cussing very audibly in reaction to the pain. Don't need the FCC fining them...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've said after previous game, Holly should not have called a time out for her to "draw the play". Westbrook in both games has had the hot hand and just let her go at it. With the timeouts the opposing team also gets a chance to set up their defense.
This was Neighbors' approach after Westbrook hit the free throws. Almost all coaches would've called timeout, set up a play, advanced the ball. He very rightly understood that Malica Monk with a full head of steam is really hard to guard if Tennessee hasn't had time to set up their D. And in fact she put an ankle-breaking move on Westbrook that got herself open for the winning shot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This phenomenon, continued strong recruiting in the face of disorganization and very poor coaching, says nothing good about the decision-making that brings these kids to Tenn. Bewildering really.
Most 18 yr-old kids feel like they are invincible, and they can certainly bewilder us at times. All these kids are stars in HS and they just assume that it'll be more of the same, regardless of where they decide to go to college. Next year's star incoming freshman Jordan Horston said all the right things during her recruitment about wanting to challenge herself under the best coaching, etc., etc. and then she selected TN. :confused:

Reaction Score
None of you seem to be able to comprehend Holly's cleaver strategy. These loses are all to acquire a higher position for next seasons draft. Oh wait??

...or a clever disguise, weeks in the making, to lull their next opponent ND, the prize they really have been working towards, into false sense of security. Holly will unleash the new and improved LadyVols 2.0 unto the Irish this Thursday night. :D

Reaction Score
Damn the LVs for making me root for them twice in 1 week. That HW is truly evil and sinister.

A highly improbable win on thurs would not only save HCHW but show major vulnerabilities in the Irish , who I now consider a pretty strong favorite to repeat.

Reaction Score
Trying to play devil's advocate for Holly Warlick:

They really have played a relatively difficult SEC slate so far and have four basically one possession losses. Missouri and Kentucky by 2, Arkansas by 1 and Georgia by 4.

Maybe you can argue that a year of experience plus adding Horston and some size would change those outcomes.

Probably worth bringing her back for one more go at it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

They really have played a relatively difficult SEC slate so far and have four basically one possession losses. Missouri and Kentucky by 2, Arkansas by 1 and Georgia by 4.
Maybe you can argue that a year of experience plus adding Horston and some size would change those outcomes.
This post has a familiar hollow long .... echo to it.....
Meighan Simmons just needs to be pointed in the right direction.....
Cierra Burdick has Maya Moore level talent....
Bashara just needs some help on the boards....
Izzy wasn't healthy all year...
Mercedes has a bad wheel....
Mercedes has two bad wheels.....
Jamie Nared is the sleeper in that class...
Diamond is going to get us back to the Final Four.....
Wait until Diamond gets healthy......
T'ea Cooper is the best PG in the 2015 class...
Anastasia Hayes is the best PG in the 2016 class...
Evina Westbrook should be #1 in the 2016 class
TN got the number 1 recruiting class...
Jordan Horston should be the #1 player in the 2019 recruiting class....
All TN needs is Horston, some size and a year of experience".....
My question: Really? Head bang

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Wait until Diamond gets healthy.

I'm pretty confident I know exactly what Tenn needs. I just hope Fat Phil (sorry, it's an SEC thing) doesn't.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wait until Diamond gets healthy.
In a bizarre turn of events, there appears to be more optimism about the LV's here on the BY then you can find anywhere on VolNation these days. The most upbeat posts on VolNation all share a certain "Gallows" humor. One poster suggested, "The worst thing that could happen is that we beat ND on Thursday and then we are stuck with Holly for another year."

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Their schedule is ranked #38 by the conventional methodology and #43 by Massey. That's not that hard for a program of their (former) caliber.

I wasn't losing my mind over the losses to Mizzou and Kentucky. Georgia, Alabama, and Arkansas just aren't that good, though.

We're talking Massey ratings of 68, 113, and 48, respectively. The best of those teams is Arkansas and Arkansas has a loss to Pitt this season. Pitt is terrible.

The fact that games like this qualify as "relatively difficult" for Tennessee is a sign of how far they've fallen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom