Mississippi St @ Tennessee - 1/21/18 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St @ Tennessee - 1/21/18

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
How far out of the Top 10 does TN go, I think maybe 11th or 12th.
I'd be surprised if they fell that far. Their losses were both to higher-ranked teams, and the two teams right behind them also suffered losses (to lower-ranked and unranked teams, respectively).

Reaction Score
Mississippi State has continued to impress me over the course of the season. I wondered if they could build upon from the UCONN win and it looks like they have. It will be more justifying though if they can get through the rest of the SEC schedule. I take the game against Missouri to be more compelling than SC but at the same time, I'm looking forward to see the post battle between McCowan and Wilson. Both McCowan and Vivians have made important strides and Johnson and Schaefer are solid role contributors.

Reaction Score
Those were probably the fans that believe that the way the team is playing is not on Holly. She has some diehard apologists over there. Those who are realistic are called trolls.

If they are still diehard apologists, they must have their orange colored blinders on because today they got beat by a team that was simply better coached, much tougher, and most importantly a heck of a lot more disciplined.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I bet 9 or 10. Don't see much further. Like Plebe stated they lost to top teams.
And who would move ahead of them? #9 Texas might, but they did lose to UConn. Would enough voters move #10 South Carolina ahead of Tennessee? And #11 Missouri and #12 Florida State? I can't see Tennessee falling any lower than #10.

Reaction Score
If they are still diehard apologists, they must have their orange colored blinders on because today they got beat by a team that was simply better coached, much tougher, and most importantly a heck of a lot more disciplined.
If you look tomorrow you'll see a lot of posters claim that everybody's overreacting and that the team is 16-3. They don't like it when you say Holly has reached her ceiling.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
And who would move ahead of them? #9 Texas might, but they did lose to UConn. Would enough voters move #10 South Carolina ahead of Tennessee? And #11 Missouri and #12 Florida State? I can't see Tennessee falling any lower than #10.
I think SC will go ahead of TN, they both lost to ND, but SC played them when Thompson was still playing, while ND came back and smoked TN with only 7 players suited. Also TN beat SC when they were without A'Ja Wilson. I also believe that Florida State may go past them and maybe even Missouri because they did beat SC with A'Ja Wilson playing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's how RPI has responded to today's games

top25rpi012118.jpg

Reaction Score
Holly went with a 7 player rotation, Dunbar was not one of them. LadyVols shoot 0-8 (0.0%) 3PT while Miss St shot 7-18 (38.9%) from the 3.

If there's one kid I feel for on their roster it's Dunbar. Don't know why this kid is not playing...is it for her defense (or lack of). The way I look at it, if Dunbar played, Miss St would have to guard her out there and possibly make a couple of 3's.

I'm not impressed with M. Jackson, 34 minutes today and only 2 points. (if any Tenn fans out there, does Meme deserve that many minutes?)

Reaction Score
From what I have seen so far this season, Mississippi State is the biggest threat to the Huskies goal of a 12th NC this year. They know who they are, they play with consistency and the way their coach wants them to play, and they know they can beat the Huskies since they have done it before and their style of play has been a bit of a problem for UConn.

I think the next threat is Baylor. I don't quite get why they are not getting more attention. That may change if they handle Texas in conference play. None of the other contenders pose the match up problems for the Huskies that Mississippi State and Baylor do.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Holly went with a 7 player rotation, Dunbar was not one of them. LadyVols shoot 0-8 (0.0%) 3PT while Miss St shot 7-18 (38.9%) from the 3.

If there's one kid I feel for on their roster it's Dunbar. Don't know why this kid is not playing...is it for her defense (or lack of). The way I look at it, if Dunbar played, Miss St would have to guard her out there and possibly make a couple of 3's.

I'm not impressed with M. Jackson, 34 minutes today and only 2 points. (if any Tenn fans out there, does Meme deserve that many minutes?)
Jackson is in a shooting slump. Her game has improved from last year.

Reaction Score
I think the Lady Vols are in somewhat the same situation they have been the past few years..... just not in such an accentuated way.....

they are better than in past years..... no question.... probably due to Westbrook.... a better PG than they have had ..... i like their improved ball movement and transition flow .... it is better than it had been.....

I still think Holly could do a much better job..... Presser she said.... she was disappointed with quick shooting and shot selection..... Kara said also as analyst that the no-pass possessions do not help the Lady Vol cause at all.....

but this is not a problem which they have not faced in the last year or two or 3 or 4.... where is the coaching hammer? Fix the problem, and if your team is not doing it right... sit those players down.....

and Holly mentioned a lack of energy... #3 comes to your house on a featured game, and you don't have the energy to meet that?

I see the LVs as definitely improved from last year, but not where they should be.... I do not think they can depend on Mercedes .... she is good but cannot carry the weight on her shoulders... their success will depend on Nared.... who is proven blue chipper, and the freshmen.... who will develop to whatever extent

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There's been some great posts on this thread including Wbb posting Margo (she even has orange walls in home!). I didn't want to hit reply to the various good comments to have my Logo appear like a rash on this thread...

Becky Hammon, despite having the support of Popovich, I just don't see ever getting a head job in the NBA-too much macho-ism with the players and even very good men's coaches get thrown under the bus, never mind adding in sexism.

She does have to prove that not only can she handle a high profile program, she must and thrive and develop players. I also think she will need to coach a few USA teams. So to address the UT thing, while Tenn has the money Hammon wants, I am not convinced Philip Fulmer will:
1. Let Holly go if she gets 24+wins, makes it to the second round and still has strong recruits coming in. She has 1 more year at $625-650K coming to her and they can't afford to buy her out. It just doesn't happen in Women's sports. My guess is the chances of her getting fired with a year left as 15%.
2. If after next year, they do decide to not renew (my guess is 75%) or Holly decides it's time to step down (most graceful way), I am not convinced that they will pick outside the program. Pat Summit legacy weighs too much on this program to eschew any Lady Vol.
All told, I put Hammon's chance at getting UT at 25% if Holly is gone next year.

Yesterday was the first chance I got to see MSU this year even though I have been intently following all their games. They look good, but after seeing them, I am less worried than I was as their defensive pressure is not as strong as it was last year and the only person with size is McCowan who we can double down on with Pheesa, Z and Gabby. Kia can lock down Vivians. While Morgan William and Crystal Dangerfield will do battle that leaves Shaeffer and Johnson as the other two starters that KLS and Pheesa/Gabby guard. That's a huge mismatch for us. It's nice his daughter starts and shoots 39% from 3 point land (good but not great) but she will get killed guarding Kia or KLS.

Honestly, after the Texas game, I am convinced the teams with the best guard play that are well coached will give us the hardest time (yes MSU is included in this). I am curious on Tex-BU this Thursday with my view Texas has the deeper bench and much better guard play that they should win. At best, I think BU splits with them.

MSU will do well the rest of the way and the match-up with a healthy Wilson with Tyesha Harris will be interesting to watch.

Thoughts?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She’s very loyal but Holly is not a “phenomenal” coach, sorry.
Michelle didn't say she was a phenomenal coach, but rather that "she's done an absolute phenomenal job".

Not sure I agree 100% with that either, but she HAS done a phenomenal job recruiting. In the past 2 seasons, 7 McD AA's. Name a coach who's recruited better (hint - Geno has not).

Now you can parse that down and say that Geno has gotten 2 #1 kids , a top 5 kid, a top 15 kid, and 2 others in the 30-50 range (AEH and Gordon), so therefore, his highest quality recruits are better since Tenn basically got 2 top 10, 3 top 15, and then 2 lower ranked but still AA's, but my point is Holly has done a great job recruiting the past 2 seasons.

Back to your point - she's simply not a good or great coach - totally agree with you there. She may be a great person who has done a great job creating a family atmosphere, but as far as X's and O's and teaching kids offense, defense, etc, she's average at best...

Reaction Score
Interesting how Marciniak and/or Holdsclaw know what growing pains UConn will go through when Geno retires. I would bet the "reset moment", when it happens for UConn will not be as bad as Holly's reset years. Was that an attempt, by Marciniak, to soften the "massacre Holly rants" by introducing Geno as the leading paragraph?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
More than a little hyperbole by Michelle ("bravest and most courageous person on earth?" please), but she is right to point out that it is difficult if not impossible to follow a legendary coach. That's why I chuckle when some here suggest that UConn should look for some established, highly regarded P5 coach to follow Geno. No such coach in his or her right mind would choose to move to Storrs to succeed Geno.

Whatever Holly's limitations as a coach she has certainly recruited well and will be Tennessee's head coach for several years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Michelle says this touting Holly's tenure.... I think it is kind of silly..... the obvious mistakes she has made.... and has been a veteran coach..... i mean basic mistakes and not schooling her team on the fundamentals.... but i am not with a partisan eye just a fan of WCBB..... This is JMHO

It is fine with me that Lady Vol Nation is happy with CHW..... and this year things have improved..... but looking at the last few years in her tenure the cupboard has been full.... and yes she has reached the Elite 8..... if that is the bar then all is good in K Ville.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom