Mississippi St @ Tennessee - 1/21/18 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St @ Tennessee - 1/21/18

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So Tennessee went 1-3 during their 4 game stretch against good teams that everybody had circled on the calendar.

Nared was 3-14 today. 5-14 against Notre Dame, 5-13 against South Carolina 6-18 against Texas A&M. Terrible shooting % on the season. She needs to be taken off the Wooden watch list and out of consideration for All American teams.
I really thought that Texas A&M was the one game Tennessee was most likely to win if they were only going to win 1 out of 4.

But of course the injury to Wilson completely changed that game, and then Tennessee had a horrible collapse at College Station. Followed by their 4th-quarter debacle at South Bend.

I also really thought this game would be closer because it was in Knoxville. But truly the clock has struck 12 on the Vols and their pumpkin has arrived.

How tough does Mississippi State look? They are a juggernaut.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Such a nice day so far. Thoroughly enjoyed the Tenn smackdown. I just wish Wilson was healthy for their game vs. Tenn and Tenn was enjoying a 4 game losing streak.

Tenn seems to have major problems in the 4th quarters of games. Where UCONN has struggled with our reserves in many times, Tenn struggles with their starters in. Not sure why - lack of leadership? Freshmen mental breakdowns (they rely heavily on 3 freshmen)? Getting mentally or physically tired? Poor coaching? Lack of adjustments? Maybe a little bit of all of it?

Still, a delightful game to watch, especially the 4th quarter. Miss State was about to run away with the 3rd Q too until Holly took an early TO and helped right the ship. Nothing she could do about the 4th Q tho, apparently...

Reaction Score
So Tennessee went 1-3 during their 4 game stretch against good teams that everybody had circled on the calendar.

Nared was 3-14 today. 5-14 against Notre Dame, 5-13 against South Carolina 6-18 against Texas A&M. Terrible shooting % on the season. She needs to be taken off the Wooden watch list and out of consideration for All American teams.
She puts up too many quick shots, with no-one in position to rebound, and as a Senior, that is not something she should do.

Reaction Score
Thoughts from this game: Miss State is very experienced, talented, and is like I said earlier coached very well. Not many teams can beat them. Who can beat them in the SEC is my question? I am not sure if I have the answer to that.

I peeked over on the Tennessee board a day or two ago and they were cocky and confident. They were pretty sure they could beat them. Someone even said by 10. I was pretty shocked. I mean I want BU to always win, but I am realistic. Like BU vs UT, who will win? I don't know, I hope BU. However, Texas is deep, has more talent, and when they show up can play. So I will not underestimate the opponent. Tenn is young and they will be a lot better next year, but I don't know why I am so shocked they think they are final four material. Miss State is final four material.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
What I don't get is why top players sign up to be coached by Warlick. They are shortchanging themselves.

Agreed..eventually the recruits for warlick will dry up..only a matter of time

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score

Once again, agreed..and as a lady vol fan it pains me to say that..

Im not sure holly will ever be able to coach up an all american..dang shame

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Agreed..eventually the recruits for warlick will dry up..only a matter of time

Can you send Westbrook back to Oregon please? OSU would love to have her.

Reaction Score
Thoughts from this game: Miss State is very experienced, talented, and is like I said earlier coached very well. Not many teams can beat them. Who can beat them in the SEC is my question? I am not sure if I have the answer to that.

I peeked over on the Tennessee board a day or two ago and they were cocky and confident. They were pretty sure they could beat them. Someone even said by 10. I was pretty shocked. I mean I want BU to always win, but I am realistic. Like BU vs UT, who will win? I don't know, I hope BU. However, Texas is deep, has more talent, and when they show up can play. So I will not underestimate the opponent. Tenn is young and they will be a lot better next year, but I don't know why I am so shocked they think they are final four material. Miss State is final four material.
Those were probably the fans that believe that the way the team is playing is not on Holly. She has some diehard apologists over there. Those who are realistic are called trolls.

Reaction Score
Those were probably the fans that believe that the way the team is playing is not on Holly. She has some diehard apologists over there. Those who are realistic are called trolls.

Well, let's just say I don't every comment over there. Here I find the fans are much more level headed. So I would believe that statement above is very accurate.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
good victory for Miss State as expected....Vivians is much improved on the drive.....going to be a very tough team to beat...multiple three point threats, good defense/rebounding.. they lose four important players next season so this is their big chance to win it all...
Yes. Unfortunately they gain very little to replace their 4 next year. Recruit or die.

Reaction Score
Well, let's just say I don't every comment over there. Here I find the fans are much more level headed. So I would believe that statement above is very accurate.
Very much so, you can't have an honest conversation there. You try to say they shouldn't be having that many turnovers a game, then they'll excuse it off saying it's because they like to run and as long as they're winning it isn't a problem. They're very irrational.

Reaction Score
Lesson drawn from today's game:

The empire is poised to strike back against Ole Miss later this week.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Mississippi State looked great. They are not the most talented but they are so well coached and players play within themselves. Schaefer is easily one of the best coaches in the country and he's proving it this year.

Vivians should be a top 5 pick in the WNBA next year. She takes good shots, is quick enough to take her defender off the dribble, can hit midrange and from DEEP, and she's become a much better decision maker. She's been fantastic in every game I've seen her play this year, and I thought she was the best player on the court today. She owned Nared, who really struggled.

McCowan was also very good despite being neutralized by Russell. Teaira is just so solidly built. Her frame is so strong and she does a good job of getting deep position and has great hands for nabbing rebounds. Doesn't have good touch unless she's using the backboard, but she's going to be a handful for anyone. Curious to see how a much slighter but quicker Stevens will match up with her, or how McCowan will do against Brown of Baylor.

Johnson/Schaefer were the biggest difference makers today though. Both played their role extremely well and just came up big. Johnson is a great shooter but took Hayes off the dribble multiple times for easy buckets, and Schaefer spreads the floor like Nurse does for you guys, and she nails open looks. Schaefer also does a great job of taking charges and didn't seem to force anything.

For Tennessee, they have good individual players but their system just pales in comparison to Notre Dame's and Mississippi State's, and we saw that tonight. Once again, Holly made zero adjustments when Ms St regularly ran iso plays and pulled everyone to one side of the court and had Vivians or Johnson take their defender one on one. In her defense, Mississippi State is a hard matchup though. You have to put a body on McCowan or she'll get layup after layup (see Oregon game), but you can't sag or play zone because Mississippi State has 4 players who can (and will) drain 3s. They play tough in your face defense and have players who can score in iso situations and create their own shot. They are MUCH better than they were a year ago on the offensive side of the ball. I would love to see a rematch between them and the Huskies in the tournament. It's not going to be an easy win for the Huskies if they match up again.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Becky Hammon is going to have her cup runneth over with talent when she takes over.
Huh? Takes over what?

Reaction Score
Becky Hammon is going to have her cup runneth over with talent when she takes over.
She may have to get rid of some of them, though, if they're too used to the easy life, or too used to doing whatever they want, or not smart enough to run offense.

Reaction Score
She may have to get rid of some of them, though, if they're too used to the easy life, or too used to doing whatever they want, or not smart enough to run offense.
Next season would've been the perfect time. They'll have a team compiled of Sophmores and Freshman and just three juniors.

Reaction Score
Miss state only has three games left they could lose. At Missouri, vs South Carolina, vs tamu. Should be favored in all three.

I do think South Carolina can beat them with its best game, but I don't feel good enough about the gamecocks defense to hang with them. Foul trouble could be huge though.

But I'm not sure I see them losing two games so the Wilson injury was huge. I now believe South Carolina probably would have won that game with Tennessee if healthy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Miss state only has three games left they could lose. At Missouri, vs South Carolina, vs tamu. Should be favored in all three.

I do think South Carolina can beat them with its best game, but I don't fell good enough about the gamecocks defense to ha g with them. Found trouble could be huge though.

But I'm not sure I see them losing two games so the Wilson injury was huge. I now believe South Carolina probably would have won that game if healthy.

Any team can lose no matter how great a season they are having, that said I don't see Miss State losing until they get the the NCAAs...................

Reaction Score
This is known? How?
Because she did it for the Florida job and Tennesse a much better situation and and believe it or not the Tennessee name still draws recruits. Only reason she's not at Florida is because they offered her pennies. So I'm certain when the Tennessee job opens she will jump at the opportunity. I know she wants to be a NBA coach, but she's got to get some head coaching experience somewhere, because her first head coaching gig is not going to come in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Next season would've been the perfect time. They'll have a team compiled of Sophmores and Freshman and just three juniors.

Time was (2002-03) when we too had a team compiled of Sophomores, Freshmen and just three Juniors - Morgan Valley, Conlon and Taurasi.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
How far out of the Top 10 does TN go, I think maybe 11th or 12th.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom