Mir in transfer portal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mir in transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
yes, and we've had transfers go to Georgia and Arkansas in the SEC...

Mississippi State (AEH) is the only close to truly "elite" program that we've lost a transfer to in prior year. Georgia and Arkansas are good programs, but not "elite". Mississippi State was for a while, but clearly aren't any more.

We haven't lost any transfers to: Louisville, Oregon, Stanford, South Carolina, Baylor, Maryland...

Reaction Score
I'm sad it didn't work out for Mir (and Saylor). I disagree with comments that "Geno needs to develop the bench more so that players won't leave". You can put lipstick on a pig all day long, but it's still a pig.
Was it necessary to have that last sentence? I'm sure it wasn't meant towards anyone in particular, but given the topic being discussed and the individual player central to it, it just seems in poor taste

Reaction Score
There is a place for everyone. They just have to find it. Get in where you fit in. Hers may or may not be in a P-5 program or on a top 25 team. A mid-major program may suit her best. There MUST be mutual attraction here. :rolleyes: Water seeks its own level. Mir will find a better fit and be OK! I just had a thought....I wonder if Shea Ralph at Vanderbilt would have any interest in Mir? She knows her well.
It might just be a good fit for both.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I did check on Mikayla Coombs at UGA. After basically coming off the bench last year, she is now a starter averaging 28 mpg. At 8-1, UGA is a pretty good team right now, so I’ll stand corrected on my comment about UConn players not transferring to “top programs.”
You could also add Arizona State, which is where Courtney Ekmark transferred and became a two-year starter. They aren't so good now, but they were Top 25 and Sweet 16 level for a number of years, including (I believe) the years when Courtney played for them.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this was predictable.

I wish Mir well. It will be interesting to see what she can do if she gets playing time somewhere, and how she does it. She has weaknesses, but some definite strengths as well.

I think ok defenders in high school can become great defenders in college. But it seems rare that an ok shooter in high school becomes a good/great shooter in college. Kia Nurse, maybe?

We are now faced with the possibility of having eight players in uniform for the Louisville game, with no depth at all at the guard/wing positions.

It wasn`t that long ago we were all giddy about having the deepest team in Connecticut history. Me included. 14 became 8 rather quickly.

I don`t expect to see Nika or Azzi before January, but let`s hope Aubrey can lace them up for Louisville.

Where on earth would we be if Evina didn`t come back?

Reaction Score
Can anybody think of a UConn transfer in the past ten years that you wished they could have been able to keep? Very few have made long lasting impacts on their new programs from what I have observed......

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I did check on Mikayla Coombs at UGA. After basically coming off the bench last year, she is now a starter averaging 28 mpg. At 8-1, UGA is a pretty good team right now, so I’ll stand corrected on my comment about UConn players not transferring to “top programs.”

I watched her during the ND-Georgia game just after Thanksgiving. She had an insane number of steals (8?), in contributing to Olivia Mile's worst day in college (thus far). Mikayla is still very instinctive on defense with good burst speed, which helps her dart into passing lanes. On offense, she's still a drive-first player. Solid contributor on that UGA team.

Reaction Score
...I am sorry to hear this and hope she might reconsider. Like her athleticism.

Reaction Score
She's a player. She will get plenty of time somewhere, not quite a fit here.

Let's be clear: Coach Geno certainly felt she would be a great fit here. That's why he recruited her. And, yes, she was impactful in nearly every game she entered. But she never got a big chance. She did make the most of the chances she got. Very sad that she's gone. And that Poffenbarger is gone, too. High hopes.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State (AEH) is the only close to truly "elite" program that we've lost a transfer to in prior year. Georgia and Arkansas are good programs, but not "elite". Mississippi State was for a while, but clearly aren't any more.

We haven't lost any transfers to: Louisville, Oregon, Stanford, South Carolina, Baylor, Maryland...

We had a player go to Arizona. That program was on the verge of its current elite status.

Reaction Score
I think it was a reach to offer Mir, butUConn was thin in numbers and they hoped with her athleticism she would blossom.
IIRC, wasn’t that basically how it turned out with Gabby Williams? At the time she was recruited and signed, the thinking was, “we’re not quite sure what she is, but she sometimes makes some incredible plays on the court!”

Reaction Score
Seems like both parties (UCONN and Mir) should have figured this ( lack of fit or adequate skills) during the recruiting process.

This is the part I do not understand about Uconn recruiting. It is probably not the case but it certainly feels like among the top programs in wbb, Uconn seems to have had a relatively high number of transfers in the last 5-6 years compared to other programs.

Reaction Score
I don't buy the idea that if a player transfers from any program they aren't as "dedicated" as the coach. Players that Geno recruits want to play. When they come to UConn they all think they have what it takes to make the team (otherwise I doubt Geno would recruit them. I'm also sure he is honest with them about where the team is and where they might fit AT THAT TIME) but circumstances change overnight in college basketball these days when a new, highly ranked recruit signs or a talented transfer player comes on the team. And the new transfer rules make that scenario very likely, especially at powerhouse programs. And it doesn't have to indicate a "problem" with the program.

When you sign on to play at a top program, sometimes no matter how hard you work your level of talent/skill, basketball IQ, coupled with injuries, academic challenges, whatever, means you are simply not as good as the other top recruit sitting next to you. For many of these kids, that is a reality they have never encountered before. It doesn't mean you are a failure or a useless player. For some, never seeing the floor and being the best practice player/team mate you can be is enough. For others, they just want to play meaningful minutes in games so they go someplace where their talents/abilities allow them to play. To me, that represents a choice of what you want out of life, not a lack of dedication.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A large part of the problem at UConn is you have so many players who are top 10 and they continue to come. Its very difficult to get playtime when you have all those HS number 1 2 and 5 players with more coming in. Geno has done a good job of spacing players over the years and by that I mean getting top players every two years to replace those who are graduating. For example when you have a top 3 player who is a junior you can bring in a freshman top player to replace the player ahead of her in two years. That player will be developed over their freshman and soph years and ready to start in their junior or soph year.

I had been told Mir was a really good player by those who saw her in HS and AAU ball. The problem at UConn is she has so many top players ahead of her. Good luck to her and she will do fine on another team.

We have CW Evina Nika Paige Azzi Caroline Amari Liv Dorka Edwards all top players with Ice (4) and Patterson (3) coming in next season and KK for the following season. Its tuff to crack that lineup.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I watched her during the ND-Georgia game just after Thanksgiving. She had an insane number of steals (8?), in contributing to Olivia Mile's worst day in college (thus far). Mikayla is still very instinctive on defense with good burst speed, which helps her dart into passing lanes. On offense, she's still a drive-first player. Solid contributor on that UGA team.
Mikayla Coombs checks every box you would want from a basketball player except one. She just isn't a good shooter. But she is most definitely one of the toughest on ball defenders I've seen.

Reaction Score
Mir would fit nicely on Seton Hall's team
Does anyone know who were Mir’s finalists? I see possible destinations as Maryland, Vandy, and Seton Hall.
Hard to believe Maryland would be interested as they are such an offense dominant team. I think she would find herself in basically the same quandary as she faced here. I think Arizona would be a perfect place for her. Az is a defensive minded team that plays everyone! So sorry to see her go!

I have to believe she may have been let down by coaches/mentors in the past who may not (it appears) have pushed her to go beyond her incredible athleticism and develop an offensive game beyond layups and put backs. Perhaps a cautionary tale for other athletically gifted players who may be tempted to rely on their physical dominance in high school rather than developing a more well-rounded game for when that will not be enough. Not saying that is definitely true in Muir’s case, but it seems likely to me.

Speaking of which, I’m very happy to see Ayana P improving her outside shot and free throws. If she can become a good outside shooter and an 80%+ free throw shooter, she is going to be a very scary player!

Anyway, farewell and best of luck, Mir. I will miss you!

sun

Reaction Score
Maybe Mir is actually helping the team by opening up a roster spot for another transfer player next year.
The 5th year of eligibility rule due to covid, and the fact that many UConn players enter the draft instead of returning puts UConn at a disadvantage.
Incoming transfers who are upper classmen would help fill some needs if Geno feels it's necessary.

IMO folks are jumping to conclusions that it's only about playing time when a 5th year scholarship and a red shirt year of eligibility may also be involved if Mir transfers now.
AFAIK Mir herself hasn't said that it's about PT at all.
Why should student athletes need to explain that academic scholarship funds are an important consideration when transferring schools because paying for extra years of college is an expensive & personal financial matter?
Not every student wants to load up on future college loans if it's not necessary.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno develops his bench by playing the players that earn their playing time. I think this (transferring) may say more about a player's dedication than Geno. Every player that comes here knows what Geno is like and what is expected. If they don't really have what it takes, they leave. As has been stated, she had multiple opportunities, along with others, and yet here we are.
I disagree

Reaction Score
Sorry I am all thumbs today. While she certainly was the best to leave the program it was more than ten years ago.

Reaction Score
There seems to be a disconnect somewhere. Either kids have unrealistic expectations on their own or the coaches created them.

Everyone always says, what makes UConn women's basketball great is that star players come UConn and check their egos because winning national championships is the important thing to them. Truly admirable. However, when you stop winning national championships, there's a lot less reason to subdue your personal goals and interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom