Mir in transfer portal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mir in transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I’m disappointed but not surprised. She wants to play, and UConn wasn’t a good fit. She is behind Caroline at the SF and would be behind Ice and Ayanna at the PF.

I hope she lands in a good spot, where she is happy, gets a good education, and can contribute on the court. Best wishes to Mir!

I’ve seen 4 recruits in the DMV over the past 7 or so years: De’Janae, Mir, Saylor, and (gulp) Azzi. I sure hope Azzi doesn’t go anywhere!!!
We need you to stop recruiting them to UConn… you don’t have a good eye.

Reaction Score
I was a Mir fan from the beginning. Sadly, to many players at the right time. And circumstance made to transfer take place. Covid, rules changes, extra year of eligibility and no departures.

Prior to Anna leaving I honestly thought that Mir was going to enter the portal first. I always have said that others were going to leave. Even
Saylor transferring wasn’t a shock.

Let’s hope that things chill out for now. The team cannot afford to loose another player.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I didn’t see much difference between her face and anyone else’s on this team right now.

Not tall enough to play post. Can’t shoot well enough to play guard. Looks lost (in the 5 seconds) when she’s in the floor. She played well enough to be recruited by a program that brings in the best of the best……but now, she is next to useless? I think there may be more going on here.

It’s not easy to play for Geno… these ladies are scared to miss a defensive assignment or a layup. Easy for Geno to say “I told you she’s not ready”. They offered her a scholarship for what they saw not what they can turn the player into. It’s too much pressure… from Geno and probably on Geno since he hasn’t won anything in 5 years

Reaction Score
A lot of the players that don’t fit in at UConn usually comes down to BBall IQ. In high school and AAU the player can succeed purely because that are just more athletic than the competition. In college, and particularly at UConn, you need to really understand the game and the intricacy's of the offense and defense. That where a lot of players struggle and fall by the wayside.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This is the part I do not understand about Uconn recruiting. It is probably not the case but it certainly feels like among the top programs in wbb, Uconn seems to have had a relatively high number of transfers in the last 5-6 years compared to other programs.
Some can’t take Geno style… and that’s fine

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It’s not easy to play for Geno… these ladies are scared to miss a defensive assignment or a layup. Easy for Geno to say “I told you she’s not ready”. They offered her a scholarship for what they saw not what they can turn the player into. It’s too much pressure… from Geno and probably on Geno since he hasn’t won anything in 5 years
Except for the select 5, just like every other D1 program.

Reaction Score
Mir played only 8 total minutes this season, so it’s difficult to evaluate her performance without seeing her at practice...
This.

Unless those on here are watching practice every day, it is just not on to offer generalizations on a player's talents - shooting, ball handling, etc... Those who have played at the high school and college levels know how difficult it is to play in those exceptionally rare occasions when called upon. Every whistle means a turn to look at the scorer's table. Every shot carries, "If I miss this, I'm out." Same for a missed rebound, or turnover. There is no settling into the game. Hence, those of us who watch games only, cannot accurately judge the true capabilities of this player. I was impressed with her for whatever brief opportunity coach afforded her - she certainly gave max effort. But off that sample size?

I suppose the inexorable need to validate everything coach does drives a lot of this, but, for me, it's just wrong. Horses for courses.

Her reasons for this are her own - full stop. I join those on here wishing her the best. Hopefully time will afford her the opportunity to make whatever her dreams for her college experience was to be come true.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby was very different from Mir. In fact, Gabby was unique in our program. She was nearly an Olympian in the high jump at age 15 or so. Jay Bilas called her the best player in America. She's much stronger than Mir. She made more super-human plays than anyone except maybe Maya. Gabby is improving her jump shot and doing very well in Europe. I expect her to have a breakout season in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Seems like both parties (UCONN and Mir) should have figured this ( lack of fit or adequate skills) during the recruiting process.
This one on paper seemed like a dubious fit. Mir has skills that so mirror Aubrey, but she is two inches shorter. Both may have figured there was some guard play in her future if she rounded out her game, but what Geno recruited was a 5-11 PF.

Having said that I am pretty sure she can contribute quite well at a school that is willing to accept her minuses in exchange for her strength's. Unlike some other transfers, she was productive in her limited minutes last year. With the returnees and additions, however, she still was at best third on the depth chart at PF behind Aaliyah and Aubrey, probably fourth behind using Dorka there as well, and possibly fifth if Geno used a wing at that position as he did often last year.

I think your quote also could apply to the situation with Caroline and Saylor. Very similar players, Caroline ranked a little higher, probably only room for one not two. In that case I think Saylor may have committed first, but once Caroline signed on a similar situation existed there.

Reaction Score
In this particular case I believe it was just the opposite.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw Mir in high school, and she was a good player. Her team was excellent in her junior year, but graduated a lot of talent. She was typically double- and triple-teamed as a senior. It wasn't clear that the coaching was good. Mir had nice form on her free throws and shot about 75% (about what she shot last year at UConn). I was thinking that she could score at UConn on jumpers of 5-15'. She had difficulty getting off shots among the tall players and was typically too far underneath to have a good shot angle.

I disagree about the fit at Maryland. Back when Paige was bragging about winning the sprints, Geno noted that, when healthy, Mir was the fastest player on the team and Aubrey was the second fastest. I think Mir can be like Kaila Charles. She'll fit into a running offense. I bet Brenda goes after her.

Reaction Score
A lot of the players that don’t fit in at UConn usually comes down to BBall IQ. In high school and AAU the player can succeed purely because that are just more athletic than the competition. In college, and particularly at UConn, you need to really understand the game and the intricacy's of the offense and defense. That where a lot of players struggle and fall by the wayside.
isn't that something the coaches should see when recruiting?..........I'm hardly an expert but I know pretty quickly if a player see's the floor, moves to the right spots and generally has good basketball instincts......

Reaction Score
Wonder what her conversation is like with her teammates about her decision to transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom