Mir in transfer portal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mir in transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t know what the record is for mid-season transfers, but it will surely be broken this year. With the end of the fall semester at hand, there are currently 98 D1 WBB transfers in the portal, and that does not include Mir or anyone else in the past 24 hrs.

Reaction Score
This was expected. You could see it all over her face at the game Saturday. Geno doesn’t play her and when he does, she’s in at weird times of the game and gets pulled instantly. I do believe that moving forward, Geno will have to start developing his bench and getting them more playing time or players will continue leaving.
Definitely was written on her face Saturday

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It's not like they found a spot for her, being hurt didn't help either.
There have been a few young players who signed with UConn who got injured in their freshman or sophomore season who could never catch up after missing practices and wound up leaving. None of those players were starters.

Reaction Score
Mir McLean, has been productive in every game that she's played in at UCONN. Really felt she had an athletic ability that we could tap into for stretches of a game. Little Disappointing that we only play one brand of basketball.
Wishing Mir nothing but the Best!

Reaction Score
I didn’t see much difference between her face and anyone else’s on this team right now.

Not tall enough to play post. Can’t shoot well enough to play guard. Looks lost (in the 5 seconds) when she’s in the floor. She played well enough to be recruited by a program that brings in the best of the best……but now, she is next to useless? I think there may be more going on here.

Mir made an impactful plays every time she hit the court. Yes may have been out of sorts, Yet she's often thrown in a game on a whim. Thinking that would be coaches fault when you don't have a direction for positionless player. Roles are to defined.

sun

Reaction Score
She played well enough to be recruited by a program that brings in the best of the best……but now, she is next to useless? I think there may be more going on here.
If an athlete wants to use their 5th year of covid eligibility, then they need to join a program that will have enough open scholarships and flexibility to allow them to return for their 5th year.
College basketball is also a business with an added mission to provide scholarships to deserving players.
Geno will probably do everything that he can to help her out, such as by providing some good personal references.

Reaction Score
Geno develops his bench by playing the players that earn their playing time. I think this (transferring) may say more about a player's dedication than Geno. Every player that comes here knows what Geno is like and what is expected. If they don't really have what it takes, they leave. As has been stated, she had multiple opportunities, along with others, and yet here we are.
Interesting players find quality playing time in other programs.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Players want to play. What was once a large roster is, because of transfers and injuries, now not so large.
I hate to see her go. :( Players want to play. I'm happy for her, but very sad and disappointed at the same time. There have too many games where she could have been put into the game and wasn't. She's a sophomore. She should know the system and be able to contribute something at this point. Now that she is in the transfer portal, I can say what I've been thinking. She's gotten very little playing time since she's been here. I was wondering how much longer she would be content to sit on the bench and watch others play. Geno may never divulge his real reason for not playing her more, and that's ok. That comes under the heading of things we don't necessarily need to know. That's between him and her. I'm sure he has told her why. UConn has played 8 games. Mir has played in only 3 of them for a grand total of 8 minutes. From the outside looking in, it appears that Geno to date, has little to no faith or trust in Mir. She tried it, it didn't work. Time to move on.

1639418882741.png

I assume she's already had a talk with Geno and her position coach before making this decision. No doubt her parents are frustrated as well. 8 games of 200 minutes = 1600 minutes. She was only worthy of playing 8 of them? :( Something is wrong here. I confess to not knowing what it is. I'm not going to guess or speculate. But I certainly don't blame her for wanting to leave. She was not here to sit, cheerlead or spectate. She was here to play!! She won't have any difficulty finding a program that will appreciate her, cultivate her talents and put her on the floor. A program that will be glad to have her. This is a very disturbing event. I'm almost at the point of wondering why he recruited her if he's not going to play her. Geno can't afford any more defections this year. I'm not happy about this at all. :mad: Good luck Mir. I wish you all the best at your new school and the rest of your college career going forward.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If transfer speculation wasn’t prohibited, I would’ve posted a prediction about this happening about 3 games into last season. Not much about her style of play fits what Geno is looking to run on the court. As a top 30 type of kid coming out of high school, you’d expect she’d be less than satisfied with getting little to no court time. Makes sense to make a move when you look at the impacts of recent Uconn transfers.

I expect she’ll be a nice addition to a mid level program. Best of luck to her.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Geno gave a fairly clear indication of his view of Mir's contribution when he said recently (paraphrasing) that if he puts her in the game, she will provide rebounding on the offensive and defensive boards, and putback scoring, and that is all. Clearly he felt he needed a more versatile player who could affect the game in other ways, and Mir wasn't offering that.

Reaction Score
Nothing replaces being on the floor in a real game. Some players just don’t show their best in practices. I’m not saying that this was the case with Mir but I wish Geno would be more liberal with substitutions when there is the opportunity to do so. There have been plenty of them over the past season and some games the season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Definitely not true and that's a little disrespectful to our former players.
Which UConn player transferred and played at a top WBB program?

Reaction Score
Can't be 5'11" with minimal ball handling skills and no shot and play at this level. Wish her well. Wasn't going to work here. Could do really, really well at a mid-major with her athleticism.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can't be 5'11" with minimal ball handling skills and no shot and play at this level. Wish her well. Wasn't going to work here. Could do really, really well at a mid-major with her athleticism.
Seems like both parties (UCONN and Mir) should have figured this ( lack of fit or adequate skills) during the recruiting process.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits