Mir in transfer portal | The Boneyard

Mir in transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The departures of Saylor and Mir fit the pattern of other recent departures, such as Lexi Gordon and Courtney Ekmark, who could clearly see that there were minimal prospects for a significant role on the team even in future years.

I don't think the coaches or the fans should be particularly concerned about this. Players come to UConn with the expectation (which they need to have to compete) that their talent and work effort will earn them minutes. When it becomes apparent that there is little prospect of extended minutes, then of course they go elsewhere to a school where they can actually play. That happened for Courtney and Lexi (and Mikayla Coombs), and I think it will happen for Saylor and Mir.

In college football, it is commonplace to see quarterbacks and other hopeful stars transfer out of top-flight programs such as Alabama when they see that others will be ahead of them in the minutes race. It really isn't anything to be concerned about.

It does mean that Aubrey needs to get healthy ASAP (as of course she knows and wants to do) to fill a role that she can fill better than Mir, because at least there is a hope that she can and will develop an effective jump shot.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This is the main reason why I check the BY during the "lull" between games. I am not surprised.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Wherever she lands next, I hope she does her due diligence on the academic side. I think it's awesome that she's majoring in Islamic and Arabic Studies, and would hate for her to have to sacrifice that for more playing time. I thought she'd make it through the season since she and Andre Jackson are an item, but happy to see the made an independent decision on that front.

Best of luck to her! I hope the next stop is everything she needs it to be.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm sad it didn't work out for Mir (and Saylor). I disagree with comments that "Geno needs to develop the bench more so that players won't leave". You can put lipstick on a pig all day long, but it's still a pig.

By that I mean that no matter how had you coach a player, if they just aren't going to get it, you can't make them something they are not. Azure did NOT want to bang in the post, no matter how hard Geno coached her. Saylor had been injured pretty much since she arrived at UCONN. Not sure what he could have done differently with either player.

Mir (per Geno's words at the "mic'd up" at practice) still did not understand (as a sophomore) that you cannot yell at a player to pass to you when they are double teamed and trapped in the corner. That is not high BBIQ. It's really basketball 101 - simple stuff. When she was in, the offense did not flow well.

She has so much athleticism. But if she couldn't, or wouldn't, develop her other skills, it would never have worked out.

I truly wish her the best and will root for her no matter where she goes. She reminds me a bit of Brianna Banks - a guard with tons of athleticism, but no guard shooting skills. She went to Georgia and did just fine. Mir will likely flourish on a team with less AA's and where she can use her athleticism and defense to the teams' advantage... Best of luck Mir! Loved you while you were here!!

Reaction Score
Yes, during the game on Saturday she just did not look engaged. She was there and she clapped etc but she looked completely checked out to me. Wish her luck going forward. I already felt that Geno would look for a quality guard via portal for next year wouldn't surprise if he looks for more. The two incoming recruits certainly spell what we need but they will be freshman. Something to be said about a player that has been there and done that.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This was expected. You could see it all over her face at the game Saturday. Geno doesn’t play her and when he does, she’s in at weird times of the game and gets pulled instantly. I do believe that moving forward, Geno will have to start developing his bench and getting them more playing time or players will continue leaving.
Geno develops his bench by playing the players that earn their playing time. I think this (transferring) may say more about a player's dedication than Geno. Every player that comes here knows what Geno is like and what is expected. If they don't really have what it takes, they leave. As has been stated, she had multiple opportunities, along with others, and yet here we are.

Reaction Score
Too bad Mir couldn't find a way to fit in.
Lots of energy, determination inside.
Not long enough to play post, not enough shooting skills.
Get the feeling she can help somebody somewhere.
Wish it could have been at Storrs.
Good luck to her.

sun

Reaction Score
It seems that there may be a scholarship incentive for her to transfer out.
That way she can have 4 more years of eligibility and additional scholarship opportunity.
Her decision may be based more on her own academic needs rather than on her lack of playing time.
If she's not needed at UConn then it makes a lot of sense to go elsewhere to be able to study four more years.

Reaction Score
The departures of Saylor and Mir fit the pattern of other recent departures, such as Lexi Gordon and Courtney Ekmark, who could clearly see that there were minimal prospects for a significant role on the team even in future years.

I don't think the coaches or the fans should be particularly concerned about this. Players come to UConn with the expectation (which they need to have to compete) that their talent and work effort will earn them minutes. When it becomes apparent that there is little prospect of extended minutes, then of course they go elsewhere to a school where they can actually play. That happened for Courtney and Lexi (and Mikayla Coombs), and I think it will happen for Saylor and Mir.

In college football, it is commonplace to see quarterbacks and other hopeful stars transfer out of top-flight programs such as Alabama when they see that others will be ahead of them in the minutes race. It really isn't anything to be concerned about.

It does mean that Aubrey needs to get healthy ASAP (as of course she knows and wants to do) to fill a role that she can fill better than Mir, because at least there is a hope that she can and will develop an effective jump shot.
Seeing her warm up Saturday against UCLA, the jump shot is definitely there from the midrange and the three point line. Love it!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't know if she could play guard at a high D1 level, but she would have to be extra good to play guard at UConn with their guard situation. The front court as it is now and will be next season would have made it hard for her to get as much playing time that she probably wants. Some players don't want to sit two to three years like players used to do to get meaningful playing time. Maybe playing for UConn was harder than she thought it would be.

Reaction Score
Geno develops his bench by playing the players that earn their playing time. I think this (transferring) may say more about a player's dedication than Geno. Every player that comes here knows what Geno is like and what is expected. If they don't really have what it takes, they leave. As has been stated, she had multiple opportunities, along with others, and yet here we are.
I agree with you HOWEVER, with the available players he has now, Mir should have received more minutes. Especially against GT when Edwards was mentally checked out. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom