Mir in transfer portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mir in transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
See like both parties (UCONN and Mir) should have figured this ( lack of fit or adequate skills) during the recruiting process.

There's likely a bit of stubbornness from both parties that with a ton of time in the gym the jump shot and skill set will come, and the athleticism is something that can't be taught.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I truly wish her the best and will root for her no matter where she goes. She reminds me a bit of Brianna Banks - a guard with tons of athleticism, but no guard shooting skills. She went to Georgia and did just fine.
Getting your transfer names mixed up, I think. Did you mean Mikayla Coombs? Brianna Banks transferred to Penn State.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Mir played only 8 total minutes this season, so it’s difficult to evaluate her performance without seeing her at practice, and as others have noted she had some nagging injuries that limited her ability to participate in summer workouts. The only thing I noticed from her brief PT this season, was that she stood around on offense and really didn’t appear to know what she was supposed to do.

In some ways, Mir’s play this year was reminiscent of Aubrey as a freshman. Aubrey got over that as a sophomore, getting much better at cutting, setting screens or crashing the boards. I was a bit surprised that Mir still appeared a bit lost as a sophomore, although her injuries may have been a factor.

Reaction Score
Feel for her. Writing was kind of on the wall, when the team is that depleted and she still can’t break the lineup.
Best of luck Mir!
Absolutely felt the same way--I think Mir can find a suitable team where her talents can be more fully utilized and connect with a coach that is more "player-centric" where she can be better developed to realize her full potential..

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She's a player. She will get plenty of time somewhere, not quite a fit here.
There is a place for everyone. They just have to find it. Get in where you fit in. Hers may or may not be in a P-5 program or on a top 25 team. A mid-major program may suit her best. There MUST be mutual attraction here. :rolleyes: Water seeks its own level. Mir will find a better fit and be OK! I just had a thought....I wonder if Shea Ralph at Vanderbilt would have any interest in Mir? She knows her well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With all the attrition UConn has had the last few years is it poor evaluation? I mean all these players are mostly top 50 players coming out of high school not sure what other top programs attrition level is like but seems like UConn has had a fair share ?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
yes, and we've had transfers go to Georgia and Arkansas in the SEC...
Lexi Gordon went to Texas Tech (not necessarily a major program), but now is now at Duke, and doing quite well.

First Team Academic All-Big 12 (2019-20)
Jordan Brand All-American (2017)

At Texas Tech (2019-20, 2020-21):
Appeared in 48 games, with 45 starts over two seasons.

As a Senior at Texas Tech (2020-21):
Started all 25 contests for Texas Tech, averaging 15.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 0.7 steals … posted nine games with 20+ points, including a season-high 28 points against Incarnate Word … collected two double-doubles versus Southern and TCU … drained 47 three-pointers and hit 80.2 percent from the charity stripe … ranked 14th in the Big 12 in scoring, tied for sixth in 3-point field goals per game (1.9), seventh in free throw percentage and eighth in minutes played (34.7) … made at least one 3-pointer in 23-of-25 contests … averaged 19.0 points per game over her final five games of the season … notched 23 points on the road at Iowa State.

As a Junior at Texas Tech (2019-20):
Appeared in 23 games for the Lady Raiders after sitting out the first six games of the season due to NCAA transfer rules … made 20 starts and averaged 13.0 points, 6.2 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game — all career highs … was a sharpshooter for the Lady Raiders, finishing second on the team in three pointers (46) and three-point field goal efficiency (36.5) … recorded 14 double-digit games, three games of 20-or-more points and two 30-plus point games … had 16 games with five or more rebounds and three double-digit rebounding games … recorded three double-doubles on the season … led Texas Tech in scoring and rebounding five times each … finished fifth in the Big 12 in three-point field goals per game on two attempts … was among an elite list of five Big 12 players averaging 12+ points, 6+ rebounds and 2+ assists, with that group also including Lauren Cox (Baylor), Lauren Heard (TCU), Joyner Holmes (Texas) and Peyton Williams (Kansas State) … was one of three Big 12 players with multiple 30-point games in 2019-20 … named to the Academic All-Big 12 First Team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Do you include Duke in that echelon :) ?
If you’re talking about Lexi Gordon, I will qualify my prior statement to point out that the player has to transfer “from” UConn.

The best I could think of is AEH to MS St, but even at MS St there were extenuating circumstances. Initially, AEH got some PT off the bench. Subsequently, after Chloe Bibby was injured, Vic Schaefer started AEH because he needed a shooter to spread the floor. The following year, after Vic brought in more talented players, AEH moved far down the bench, eventually transferring to Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
yes, and we've had transfers go to Georgia and Arkansas in the SEC...
Samaria Walker transferred to Kentucky - not sure if Kentucky was considered a top team back then but they looked pretty threatening to Louisville yesterday.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what the record is for mid-season transfers, but it will surely be broken this year. With the end of the fall semester at hand, there are currently 98 D1 WBB transfers in the portal, and that does not include Mir or anyone else in the past 24 hrs.
the new transfer rules have led to this crazy mid-season activity.............really not good for team stability...........is everybody wondering who's the next to leave in every DI program in America? :oops::confused::mad:

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised (maybe by the timing), but still sad to see her leave. She was one of my favorites. I hope she finds a school that's a good fit for her both academically and basketball-wise. I'll be rooting for her wherever she lands.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's the right thing for Mir and UConn. Of guard dimensions without developed guard skills. Best of luck to her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If you’re talking about Lexi Gordon, I will qualify my prior statement to point out that the player has to transfer “from” UConn.

The best I could think of is AEH to MS St, but even at MS St there were extenuating circumstances. Initially, AEH got some PT off the bench. Subsequently, after Chloe Bibby was injured, Vic Schaefer started AEH because he needed a shooter to spread the floor. The following year, after Vic brought in more talented players, AEH moved far down the bench, eventually transferring to Seton Hall.
Lexi started out well but is 1-17 from 3 over last few games. Not sure she is a starter for a top 25 team.

Reaction Score
Seems like both parties (UCONN and Mir) should have figured this ( lack of fit or adequate skills) during the recruiting process.
agreed...........incredibly athletic but to be a leaper under 6'0" without ballhandling skills, or a real midrange or outside shot is not a formula for success at this level........

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If I am a BE coach, I would go after her hard and remind her she would get to play against UConn a few times. Maybe I am weird but I would find that very appealing as a competitor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I did check on Mikayla Coombs at UGA. After basically coming off the bench last year, she is now a starter averaging 28 mpg. At 8-1, UGA is a pretty good team right now, so I’ll stand corrected on my comment about UConn players not transferring to “top programs.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom