Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The roster is now at 10. There will be new transfer rules in place. UCONN could should be thinking about adding transfers.
Are the transfer rules certain? Does Covid-19 affect them?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Unless it’s a true impact player, Geno should stand pat. Even before Megan’s announcement, I felt Aaliyah could earn the starting spot at PF, moving Megan to the W. That PF job will now be a battle between Aaliyah & Aubrey. Anna, Christyn, Evina & possibly Mir will battle it out for PT at W.
Charli Collier? ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are the transfer rules certain? Does Covid-19 affect them?
Transfer rules are not certain. NCAA Division I Council was scheduled to meet late April to approve the proposal. If approved the changes could have been implemented by summer of 2020. No changes announced to that time table but it might likely change due to Covid-19.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Needs to, maybe not. But the previous three champions all won with huge help from transfers. ND doesn't win without Shepard, Baylor doesn't without Jackson, and South Carolina--fortunate draw and all--doesn't without Gray.
Very, very important point.

Reaction Score
Really, you're here to say "I told you so"?

Poor taste.
No, I didn’t make a prediction. I just pointed out it was a possibility... therefore pointing out not all “BY warnings” are as bad as the poster suggested.

I first pointed it out here back in November, but nobody was paying attention.

Thanks for shot, Plebe. Your lack of self control kinda shows how much you really feel about all the hard work I do.... or is it poor taste to point out the hard work too?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I may have to turn in my "Seer" card. Right now, I can't see that far into April and the NC. My focus is on the first two exhibition games, and the first half of the season. I want/expect Geno to put the best 5 players he has on the floor that are ready to start, and I want those five to get the job done, and justify his decision to put them out there. I don't care who they are, I just want them to strangle and suffocate whoever they play.

I don't care about "preseason" rankings either, they're meaningless. Someone ranks a team based on last year's performance. This year's team is NOT last year's team. Several teams lost 2 or more of their high profile players (Oregon, Baylor, S. Carolina, UConn, etc). No one knows how these teams are going to perform with the new replacements, until those teams play another team of equal talent and ability, not the cupcakes Twinkies most of them schedule to begin the season. Those rankings count for nothing come March.

I want convincing 25+ point wins in every game before the break. When March rolls around....and it will, THEN we can begin to concern ourselves about the tournament. Before the tournament, we've got to introduce ourselves to all of our new conference members, as we take our BIG East "Homecoming" tour. We've got lots of business to handle before tournament time. All things in time. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I just would not be surprised

The way things are going, neither would I. :confused: We can't afford to take another hit like this.

Reaction Score
Lost a good player but she didn't always seem to lift the level of play of her teammates. I also thought she ignored Anna at the 3 point line at times which I thought was odd as Anna was always looking to facilitate. Looking forward to the reset next year led by the new phenom.

Reaction Score
One thing I know about Meg is she is a hard worker. She will work on her deficiencies so that she will become an all-round productive WNBA player. This will happen if she gets the right team/coach to draft her.
IMO she will be a 6-10 draft pick, first round. Ahead of her are the three women from OR, Cox from Baylor, Ty Harris at SC.

I like Harris, but I don’t think she rates above Walker, not for my team anyway. If Chennedy Carter enters the draft, I could see her going before Walker at maybe #4.

Reaction Score
First I want to wish Meg all the best in the future and thank her for her time at UCONN. She was wonderful to watch this season in particular.

It will be a big loss losing a 20 pt and 8 reb player not to mention also losing CD. It won’t be as bad as losing Lou and Pheesa but it’s a big hit nonetheless.

Seeing how this team competed this year I am still high on next years team with our great coaching staff and returning players. I have a gut feeling Liv and CW will be back better than ever and Anna and Aubrey will be much improved as well. I also think Evina and the freshman class will have a very big impact for our team next year.

In the past m, freshman weren’t necessarily counted on at UCONN unless you were one of the greats but I think the landscape of WCB is changing a bit toward what we see in men’s game. Young guys coming in and contributing and the coaching staff finding ways to adapt the scheme and program to get the best of the players the moment they step on campus because players are going to leave earlier now and transfer rules will inevitably change. Therefore every year you have to try and maximize your championship chances because roster turnover could be significant year Over year.

In the end, how do I project out the replacement of Meg and CD. I think you need CW to replicate Megs numbers and Paige or Evina to replicate CD. Then you gotta see improvement in Liv, Anna, and Aubrey. Contributions from the bench I think will materialize with Edwards and perhaps Muhl and Mir at least initially on defense. Piath May push for time just like Evelyn this year down the stretch. There will be a learning curve next year as we integrate two new starters and have a trustworthy bench rotation that Geno can count on. But I expect the huskies to find a way to be even better. I am looking forward to the positive surprises and hope there will be no negative ones. Lastly I believe in our coaching staff and believe they will get us back to another final four and possibly a championship.

Carnac

Reaction Score
A poster on VolNation said UConn just got better. How about that. I wonder why they think that.

Well, we'll see how much better we are when we visit them next season at their place. You know THAT's a game we have to win!! :cool: Remember the lady that hurled profanities at UConn fans as they were leaving the XL Center after the TN game this season? She'll be there joined by 21,678 (capacity of Thompson-Boling Arena) of her closest friends/fellow fans when UConn comes to town, most of whom no doubt share her opinion of Geno and UConn. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really no point in guessing about next year's rosters until the NCAA makes some announcements especially concerning the 5th year of eligibility for 2020 seniors IF there is a next season, possible transfer rule changes, if there is an WNBA draft and season, how that plays out in regards to the current pro level seniors, etc., etc.

But hey, good luck to Megan and time to cancel next year's trip to Charlottesville and instead schedule a quality ACC opponent, like Duke.

if UConn's seniors were allowed a fifth season do you think any of them would return?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
No, I didn’t make a prediction. I just pointed out it was a possibility... therefore pointing out not all “BY warnings” are as bad as the poster suggested.

I first pointed it out here back in November, but nobody was paying attention.

Thanks for shot, Plebe. Your lack of self control kinda shows how much you really feel about all the hard work I do.... or is it poor taste to point out the hard work too?
I'll give you a shout out and a huge Thank You for the work you have done seeing that I am guessing that the longer than normal off-season is upon us. I especially enjoy your posts for the day's games.
Also a shout out to the other BYers that provide game info so that we know what to look forward to.
I myself posted the ESPN schedule when it came out that listed their prime time WBB coverage but I am not sure if it was of any help due to the excellent efforts of you and others.
Thanks again everyone (you know who you are!!).

Reaction Score
Transfer rules are not certain. NCAA Division I Council was scheduled to meet late April to approve the proposal. If approved the changes could have been implemented by summer of 2020. No changes announced to that time table but it might likely change due to Covid-19.

just piling on more confusion for the coaches....................if the new transfer rules are in effect they may have an impressive selection of forwards to consider, under the old rules are there any quality fifth year forwards available?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
if UConn's seniors were allowed a fifth season do you think any of them would return?
Maybe. I think Kyla might think about it only because of how her UConn career ended. She may get less playing time but she will certainly enjoy and make the best of her bench time!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm among those who are surprised. I knew Meg was eligible, but didn't think she would leave. Why?

I think she has room for improvement before turning pro, including a reliable midrange shot, improved ball handling, and more.

She would be a strong NPOY candidate next season.

She seemed to want to play with her good friend Evina.

She would earn a college degree if she stayed.

She does not appear to be in a hardship situation, per her social media postings (family seems very middle class).

This year's draft includes Sabrina and Satou, plus others. I thought Meg would be top-4 next year and think top-10 this year.

Geno said yesterday he thought she would stay.

There may not be a WNBA season this year.

As a UConn grad and Virginia resident, I've been a big Megatron fan. I thank her for 3 years and wish her the best. She had a great season. I hope she is an All-American selection and makes the Wall of Honor. On the men's side, we have had several beloved players leave early. Meg's situation, other than the amount of money involved, is no different from those of Ray, Rip, Emeka, Ben, Rudy, et al.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, we'll see how much better we are when we visit them next season at their place. You know THAT's a game we have to win!! :cool: Remember the lady that hurled profanities at UConn fans as they were leaving the XL Center after the TN game this season? She'll be there joined by 21,678 (capacity of Thompson-Boling Arena) of her closest friends/fellow fans when UConn comes to town, most of whom no doubt share her opinion of Geno and UConn. :confused:

Evina will take their cookies and Paige will learn to hate orange. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of next year's team (if it's a normal season), we will miss Meg, her scoring, and her shot. But our concerns about playing time have been eased. Once again, next year's team will be a young team. Meg's absence opens things for Aaliyah, Aubrey, and Mir. Crystal's role will be filled by a combo of Evina, Paige, and Nika. I still hope we add 2-3 more players in 2021, including Azzi. I've seen Saylor 3x and she's the most versatile player I've seen since Maya the Magnificent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the bottom line with the most recent group of college players is that they are much different psychologically than their predecessors. Geno talked all season long about the players being different and adaptation and that is why he called more sets on offense even with Crystal out there than ever before. Remember Crystal telling Geno the offense doesn't know the plays and that we couldn't run them. That is inconceivable in the Lobo, Taurasi, Moore, or Stewart eras. This move by Walker is symptomatic of that change in their constitutional make up. Anyone advising her would tell her that she is not going to be able to post up either in the WNBA or in Europe. She is 6'1" tall. Anyone advising her would tell her that her defense needs work unless all those times she didn't dive on the floor or take the charge( can't remember a single one where she did) was because she knew she was going and wanted to avoid injury. Anyone advising her would also tell her she needs a mid range game with a true pull up jump shot which CW has, but she doesn't. Not all players make the right decision by going pro early. There are plenty of NBA has beens trying to coach high school out there. She had her own agenda as did Stevens and it is hard for me to ever consider her as a UCONN great for that reason. Someone said there was nothing else for her to achieve. I couldn't disagree more. How about the true measures of greatness at UCONN - Naismith, Wooden, National Champion? She leaves with none of them. They didn't matter to her as we found out today. I often wondered why in most games she just seemed to let up and not score after she got her "average". I thought originally it was unselfishness. Now I think it was selfishness.
To a certain extent you can’t question her because it’s her choice. But I will say this she’s probably not the first, second or third choice to go to battle with, because you want people who want to be the best and as you mention she could’ve fulfilled more at the college level and gotten better for the pro game. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom