Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread] | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker Goes Pro [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stand pat with 10 players? Sorry but I 100% disagree and in fact I think this would be borderline negligent. 2 injuries and a freshman in GA’s doghouse and you now essentially have 7 players would better not get into foul trouble. Look at ND this past season you have to prepare for everything and unfortunately that includes AEH and EDD type transfers where they show up on campus then bolt after a few weeks.

You fill as many scholarships with your type players as you can and don’t worry about PT or making players happy or loyalty for the sake of it...especially in today’s landscape.
Very much agree with @Deuce after watching four bigs 6'3" to 6'9" either not be cleared to play or suffer season-ending injuries this past season for Oregon State.

Better to carry an extra body on the bench who could help in the event of injury than wish you had when an unexpected injury impacts a core player, let alone a starter or two.

The transfer portal can be UConn's friend. Lots of quality grad transfers will be out there that would be happy to spend their final year at UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is no bigger fan of Edwards than me, but that's a bit of a romantic theory. Megan Walker, Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier, ONO, Morgan Tuck.....How many freshmen have made splashes much less started? Very, very few.
After watching Aaliyah against the US National team, it’s hardly a romantic theory. Aaliyah mixed it up with the best players in the world and held her own like she belongs. As for how many freshmen make splashes, don’t tell me you’ve already forgotten the season that just ended and the contributions from Anna & Aubrey, or the season before that and the contributions of Christyn and....,,

Reaction Score
some think that the freshman point guard from Minnesota will be very much that kind of player...........
That would be nice if she could bring a Jamelle Elliot type attitude but that is difficult for a freshman. Wish they had one now.

Reaction Score
On this point, UConn really needs a great season from Evina next year. Not only for the obvious reasons, but in this changing WCBB landscape Geno needs to show that a transfer can have success on his team.

The times they are a'changin'

If he gets Fudd- no he doesn't.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, UConn somehow managed this season with only 9 players, and UConn has never filled all their available scholarships. The other real problem with bringing in transfers is that it shortchanges the players who are already there while sending a mixed message.
Bringing in transfers tells the returning players a clear message...that college sports is a competitive business and that all players must get better to earn playing time. Competition brings out the best in elite competitors. Don't worry about hurt feelings. Players will transfer if feel that they need to do so to play. The players are given
a chance to earn a degree. There should be no promise of playing time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The 1st few seconds -- absolutely. Remember this is a game for many of us. So for a few seconds as human beings we are allowed to be a little selfish (i.e fan is for fanatic.). Then whether it it is seconds or whatever you feel happiness for her and glad you had a chance to watch her play and represent the school terrifically. Unfortunately to some fans it is championship or bust. Not for most of us however.
Not for even one second will I EVER accept that word (betrayal) as it relates to Megan decision to go to the WNBA. Megan did not turn her back on UCONN and go suit up for another college team. This young lady simply took an opportunity to realize a dream for which she has worked very hard. Megan announcements thanked her teammates, coaches, and fans. For fans not to reciprocate Megan's thanks is not selfish, it is crass, unkind and Volnation-like.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Really no point in guessing about next year's rosters until the NCAA makes some announcements especially concerning the 5th year of eligibility for 2020 seniors IF there is a next season, possible transfer rule changes, if there is an WNBA draft and season, how that plays out in regards to the current pro level seniors, etc., etc.

But hey, good luck to Megan and time to cancel next year's trip to Charlottesville and instead schedule a quality ACC opponent, like Duke.

Reaction Score
That would be nice if she could bring a Jamelle Elliot type attitude but that is difficult for a freshman. Wish they had one now.

the kid is fiery and gets the whole team involved.................I expect to see a much more aggressive UConn team in their play and their attitude next year...........

Reaction Score
Not for even one second will I EVER accept that word (betrayal) as it relates to Megan decision to go to the WNBA. Megan did not turn her back on UCONN and go suit up for another college team. This young lady simply took an opportunity to realize a dream for which she has worked very hard. Megan announcements thanked her teammates, coaches, and fans. For fans not to reciprocate Megan's thanks is not selfish, it is crass, unkind and Volnation-like.

I guess for these 3-5 seconds of my life you can call me a horrible selfish human being. But you do realizethat I do appreciate after 3-5 seconds, right?

Reaction Score
There is still the little problem of South Carolina. UConn losing its second-best rebounder will not make its job of beating the Gamecocks easier.

True, but if there was a position on the court where UConn was/still is loaded it's wing.

They still have the 4 underclassmen coming back plus Westbrook.

S Carolina had a lot of frustration vented this year. Good for them. Back to reality next.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bringing in transfers tells the returning players a clear message...that college sports is a competitive business and that all players must get better to earn playing time. Competition brings out the best in elite competitors. Don't worry about hurt feelings. Players will transfer if feel that they need to do so to play. The players are given
a chance to earn a degree. There should be no promise of playing time.
I’m all for competition. No one should be guaranteed PT. They should earn it. I do have lots of issues with transfers. At best, transfers are problematic. Maybe you get a year or two out of them, after waiting a year while they redshirt. At UConn in particular, transfers often have to unlearn bad habits to be effective in UConn’s system. Any PT you give to a one-year transfer is PT you’re potentially taking away from a younger player who committed to the program, and might have a greater upside.

So here’s a hypothetical. Let’s assume Evina was granted her waiver this year. She likely would have been the 5th starter, and might have continued to play on her bad knee throughout the season, possibly with diminished production as the season went along. Maybe at the end of the season, Evina opts to turn pro with Megan. The downside for UConn is that neither Anna or Aubrey get the PT they otherwise received. So going into next year, rather than returning 4 experienced players, you’re returning 2.

Reaction Score
Due to the high emphasis on development in AAU and the pre and high school offseasons, players have less of a development ceiling left to reach in college, so them not staying their full four years is no surprise.

Some of you fans might also consider that fact as you project each players' potential development each season in college. Some already have almost hit their ceilings when they enter the program.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
After watching Aaliyah against the US National team, it’s hardly a romantic theory. Aaliyah mixed it up with the best players in the world and held her own like she belongs. As for how many freshmen make splashes, don’t tell me you’ve already forgotten the season that just ended and the contributions from Anna & Aubrey, or the season before that and the contributions of Christyn and....,,

Neither Makurat nor Griffin were consistent players whatsoever. By the end of the season Makurat looked like a starter, but then she was a pro in Europe, not a high school player. Geno even said prior to the season that he expected her to be more ready than the usual freshman, and it still took her months to develop.

CW had a solid yet up-and-down freshmen year. She also got to play 33+ minutes to work out the kinks. Edwards will be lucky to see half that next year.

Again, Collier, Williams, Tuck, Jefferson, KLS until her last month, Walker, ONO... I could go on.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I don't understand those criticizing Meg's decision. None of us have access to Walker's financial records and only Meg knows how she feels and what her goals, hopes and aspirations are. She consulted with her family and, as an adult woman, made what she believes is a decision that is in her own best interest. It's arrogant for others to suggest that they know better.

Reaction Score
question for our recruiting addicts.............would Geno have recruited any differently had he known Walker was leaving after this season? Who would he have concentrated on?
I believe he got the player he needed to replace the position Walker played this year in Edwards. And though he has Makurat and Griffin with experience to cover the 3 spot now, he may still get another 3-4 type if he's still shopping because of the now open roster spot for this coming season. With the kids that are coming on the horizon, the only thing I see possibly missing would be a quick, pure shooting wing with a little size. Iriafen is the one I'd like to fill out the '21 class though she's more of a stretch 4 imo.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I do not believe this team will need to add anyone with what is returning and what is coming in.The most an extra player would bring is the icing on the cake.This team has talent,BEFORE the new recruits suit up,and will be tremendous with what is coming in.Might take a few games to get everything in sync,but will not be as frustrating it was this year that at times seemed at a standstill.
Some act like what we have coming in will not be enough to replace what we have lost.Well,I say phooey to that.I believe we have MAJOR talent coming in,and we will be a real problem for every team we face.

Reaction Score
I’m all for competition. No one should be guaranteed PT. They should earn it. I do have lots of issues with transfers. At best, transfers are problematic. Maybe you get a year or two out of them, after waiting a year while they redshirt. At UConn in particular, transfers often have to unlearn bad habits to be effective in UConn’s system. Any PT you give to a one-year transfer is PT you’re potentially taking away from a younger player who committed to the program, and might have a greater upside.

So here’s a hypothetical. Let’s assume Evina was granted her waiver this year. She likely would have been the 5th starter, and might have continued to play on her bad knee throughout the season, possibly with diminished production as the season went along. Maybe at the end of the season, Evina opts to turn pro with Megan. The downside for UConn is that neither Anna or Aubrey get the PT they otherwise received. So going into next year, rather than returning 4 experienced players, you’re returning 2.
Geno will play the players that he believes gives UConn the best chance to win. Each player is responsible for demonstrating to the coaches during practice and games that they deserve to be on the court. If Geno thought that Evina was the team's best option, Geno would have played her had she been healthy and eligible. Anna and/or Aubrey needed to prove their worth in practices or their time in games. Players earn their time in a competitive environment. I believe that is a component of why UConn has enjoyed sustained greatness. Great players earn the right to play big minutes in his system.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
True, but if there was a position on the court where UConn was/still is loaded it's wing.

They still have the 4 underclassmen coming back plus Westbrook.

S Carolina had a lot of frustration vented this year. Good for them. Back to reality next.

South Carolina has a ton of athleticism, far more than UConn. Their rebounding differential this past season, despite all the youth, was greater than any of UConn's recent great teams (13-17). Their opponents' FG% was right up there with those UConn teams. They have to find a floor general, but they are loaded otherwise.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Both this hypothetical and your previous scenario in which " EVERY" new recruit would be competing against EVERY current UCONN non-starter for playing time is flawed. Your concern about taking experience away from the committed players is unfounded. First and foremost adding to the roster helps in the scenario where a player like Evina gets hurt during the season. Second there is this little thing called position. Evina and Aubrey play different positions, one is not taking playing time away from the the other. The competition by position is much smaller. Example: This year's team and next years as well is lacking a PF to play alongside ONO. If I'm a decent C/PF considering a transfer to UCONN my competition for starting or playing time is ...? I'll give you a second. BTW UCONN just lost it's second leading rebounder to the WNBA. Now if I'm a wing I realize that the competition will be stronger at UCONN but I competing against Freshmen or Sophomores therefore not impossible. The guard position will be the deepest it has been at UCONN for a while but don't say that too loudly because Miss Fudd might hear you and agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom