MD Postgame Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

MD Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
But the magnificent seven were victorious. I agree that we had no business hanging with Maryland. I disagree with you about the killer A's ( except for Edwards ). Aubrey went into her " I do not dare shoot mental shell" again, and every time she hesitated, she missed. So she just played the lay-up game. And she is not a good ball handler when she puts it on the floor. If we had the Aubrey who showed up against Princeton, we might have stolen this one. As for Patterson, she did well but she is not yet showing a game "necessary to defend." She still has not taken a shot beyond a lay-in or put back. So Maryland just plants someone in the paint and they fight each other. I think Ines is not physically ready to handle more than a quarter's worth of game. She did well in the first quarter. Then, she lost both steam and confidence. Did someone tell her, "don't ever shoot the ball?" They didn't even need to defend her, knowing she was looking for a passing option. I give her credit, nonetheless. No one expected her to ever be on the court if we had less than a 40 point lead. Caroline woke up a bit, but she was awful in ball security. She threw the ball away two times in the first two minutes. And
the " back court " pass to Edwards was what an eight grader might do. I agree about patience. We might as well just enjoy the Xmas holidays and look in on the Lady huskies again near the end of January. With luck ( of which this team has had little to none ), we might have a competitive team again. I need DeBerry to sink one of those outside shots. She needs the confidence.
Aubrey was also a turnover machine, her lack of team offense contributed to bad passes from teammates. I am sorry in between some good defensive plays she gets lost. For example Diamond Miller's 3 at the end of the game she had her, miller had the ball, went to another player for some reason. She was benched and called out by Geno a few times. Early in the game when UConn had a 10-0 run with the ball she turned it over for sure twice resulting in Maryland baskets and they got back in the game. A couple again in key moments late when UCONN was coming back.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Aubrey was also a turnover machine, her lack of team offense contributed to bad passes from teammates. I am sorry in between some good defensive plays she gets lost. For example Diamond Miller's 3 at the end of the game she had her, miller had the ball, went to another player for some reason. She was benched and called out by Geno a few times. Early in the game when UConn had a 10-0 run with the ball she turned it over for sure twice resulting in Maryland baskets and they got back in the game. A couple again in key moments late when UCONN was coming back.
Aubrey and Caroline were forced to play guard because everyone but Ines and Lou were unavailable. When Lou went out with foul trouble, a couple of forwards became guards. It wasn’t pretty.

Reaction Score
Aubrey and Caroline were forced to play guard because everyone but Ines and Lou were unavailable. When Lou went out with foul trouble, a couple of forwards became guards. It wasn’t pretty.
Now now Nan, you know logic and common sense isn’t allowed here on the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
"too many minutes for too many players"
Yes. My point, which I think was misunderstood by some others, is the intensity that Edwards and Lou (given the injury) are now having to play at in games against tough opponents is not sustainable.

Edwards is grabbing (or at least attempting) rebounds under the basket streaking in from the arc with the shot. She's handling the ball like a guard. She's both posting up and moving without the ball over the entire half-court. Running the court both ways. With Lou it was more the intensity than the minutes, in this game, but absent the foul trouble the demands on her have been and will continue to be more than is practical over the long term.

It's certainly exciting to watch this level of effort. I don't have any answers, but they need help or we will pay for this later.

Reaction Score
I did not review the play yet but you do not need to touch the frontcourt with the second foot to be in the frontcourt. You only need to be in contact with the frontcourt and no longer touching the backcourt.

On edit: I just reviewed the play and it seems clear she received the ball before her foot established herself into the front court so the call was correct.
Then i was incorrect on the rule i would have to see the play again to see if it was the right call thanks

Reaction Score
Over all great game to me as the time of season and players got experience that would not have been afforded had all been healthy. Team represented UConn 100% and damn near stole one undermanned. First game that had me standing in front of the TV in some time. No matter the difficulty of practice nothing replaces PT verses a formidable opponent with a hostile crowed. Our bench got deeper today in a game that means very little come March but a ton for their ability to contribute and gain confidence needed.
Caroline getting better each game but still far from 100%, her toughness appreciated here.
Hard to lose when you are +23 on the boards and out-shoot the other team 54% to 42%.
Oh but, but, but what about the rest of the stat story? No attack here, we were 3 for 10 on threes 30% and they were 12 for 30 for 40%, throw in the turnovers us 21 them 5. Stats tell a amount but not the whole story.
Kudos to the 7 that played their hearts and butts off. Still can’t believe Dorka still can’t play. One year in high school I played football with a broken finger and two taped together. The following year I played with a broken thumb after three weeks with a splint. She’s been out close to six weeks already.
With all due respect you are comparing armadillos to rabbits. Would like to hear more of your injury and the position played. I have seen a lot of football players in casts and bandaged up with a hand the size of a boxing glove. I doubt you were a QB or receiver or any position that would handle the ball.
Again not an attack, I guess as you are here you are a fan but unless you have a medical degree and the same info the medical and coaching staff has....... your assessment here is totally out of line.
The ironic part of today's erratic officiating is that you can't blame the head of officials. She assigned two final four refs & and a WNBA ref, but they called the game like an inexperienced team with makeup calls & inconsistent whistles.
Yes and jump balls are meant for when two opponents have position of the ball at the same time. So often they are called so as not to have to call a foul on a defensive player mauling the ball handler.
So, I still like to know, maybe from someone who created the rule, why Paige and Ice are not to be mentioned when talking about injured players. Hopefully someone will respond.
With all due respect we see this so much here. Folks ask questions without reading the thread where it has been answered multiple times. But with all Christmas spirit and kindness simply scroll up 7 posts and Nan has your answer there. That among others.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Then i was incorrect on the rule i would have to see the play again to see if it was the right call thanks
I think the possible confusion is that there is a "difference" in establishing front court presence when dribbling the ball. See the difference in the rule between part a and part c. When dribbling both the ball and both feet have to touch the frontcourt.

frontcourt backcourt.jpg

Reaction Score
Not much to add to 11 plus pages of commentary. I was at the game. What did I see? Maryland was cold the first quarter, but it just felt to me like the Huskies were overmatched physically. Their guards are tall and long and that was a problem. Ines looked like a high school kid compared to the Maryland players guarding her (size and strength wise and to an extent, ability wise although she has nothing to be ashamed of). Maryland has some nice players whether you want to admit it or not or if you think they aren't the greatest basketball citizens. Ines looked like a high school kid compared to the Maryland players guarding her.

Once Lou had to leave the game and Maryland started to hit their shots we were trading two points for three points and Maryland built their lead. I was very impressed with how they played to get the score to a tie midway through the fourth quarter but it seemed like Maryland always hit a big shot to keep us from getting over the hump and I think a bit of panic set in with a couple of possessions where uncharacteristic decisions were made with the ball.

Having said all that, they hit two of the three things I wanted to see from this game. Even though overmatched, they competed. For the most part, they played to their abilities. Couldn't quite pull out the win, but when we get some people back there is still every expectation for a great season ahead.

Reaction Score
The big takeaway from this game is that AE can dominate in the paint if she wants to. Just keep feeding her the ball OR drive and dish. UConn plays too much finesse perimeter basketball for my liking, and when it counts in March, its the inside, physical game that matters.

Reaction Score
Not a good example- the Miller 3- of a defensive mistake by her, in my opinion. She was forced to choose between 2 shooters, whoever she left unguarded would have had as equally a good shot. If she had guarded Miller, then the other player would have had the shot.

Reaction Score
Gosh I hate to lose to a Brenda Frese team!
Great effort from all the players suited up!
They can be proud of their effort!

Reaction Score
This game was one of the few I’d consider to be a “good” loss.

Inês started out the game with great energy, looking confident, and made some great plays. Like Geno said, she’s a kid you can’t help but root for.

Something I’d like to discuss is how our most effective lineup of the day consisted of Caroline & Lou at the guard positions and Aaliyah & Amari & Ayanna in the frontcourt. They generated the run that brought us back into the game in the 2nd half. Caroline & Lou brought a lot of length to the perimeter. Aaliyah & Amari & Ayanna used their length inside to alter shots. Learning this from today’s game may prove crucial in future, more important games when we need to switch it up and go on a run. These five were able to effectively gets stops and that fueled their offense on the other side.

Considering the circumstances, this team really fought today and impressed me greatly. My only concern would be improving perimeter defense because it was also an issue against Iowa even with Nika and Azzi.

Reaction Score
Inez and DeBerry: These minutes will not help them unless they get some real playing time .. 2 minutes in the first half, and more second half time in 30 - 40 point blowouts. They could have played more in the previous games this year and would have been more prepared for this.
If they have to wait for another disaster then they will not be ready again. That is the only problem I have with Geno. Making the earn playing time hurt us today. If they are good enough to be offered a scholarship they should play a little, esp when we are winning a game by 30. Two minutes in garbage time is not enough to get them ready.

Reaction Score
Inez and DeBerry: These minutes will not help them unless they get some real playing time .. 2 minutes in the first half, and more second half time in 30 - 40 point blowouts. They could have played more in the previous games this year and would have been more prepared for this.
If they have to wait for another disaster then they will not be ready again. That is the only problem I have with Geno. Making the earn playing time hurt us today. If they are good enough to be offered a scholarship they should play a little, esp when we are winning a game by 30. Two minutes in garbage time is not enough to get them ready.
Why do you think his philosophy is flawed? He's won 11 titles and many consecutive Final Fours with his philosophy. What makes you think giving those 2 more minutes will translate into more victories? What's the magic number of minutes that will guarantee championships every year? You know that the extra minutes now won't detract from giving the core players better in addition to you know that Ines and DeBerry will undoubtedly produce in FF’s as an example?

The other team has scholarship players too. What makes you think that they won’t abuse these 2 bench players the same way that UCONN over the past 20-30 years has abused so many other teams?

Reaction Score
If they are good enough for UConn they should be ready to help the team. A little time would be better to prepare them than no time. It must be tough to have the team win by 40 and not see any court time. Our scholarship players are better than most team's

Reaction Score
Edwards has not taken out a single player. Her involvement is purely coincidental and was only because opposing players were playing aggressively and Aaliyah was doing what she was supposed to be doing—trying to make a basketball play.
She ran into three people during the game. I'm starting to think there is an issue.

Reaction Score
With Nika Dorka and Azzi playing. They blow Maryland out. Injuries make uconn look average but you gotta like the fight and toughness

Reaction Score
THIS THIS THIS!

Ines was valiant but inexperienced. Nika was sorely missed today
Nan, this was one of the most level headed, balanced comments I have read in many years.
While I appreciate your desire to defend Ines, having played on several national teams, she has more experience than most frosh. Her performance is not solely her fault since with UConn being down so many guards, other teams are doubling her more, exploiting her issues. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
Looking over their roster/stats you can tell Brenda really wanted this game. Besides the four players mentioned that were either sick/injured or having an season ending ACL (although by the "rules" she doesn't count since she never played this year...like Paige and Ice :rolleyes:). Brenda also played 7 players, she did have two additional players available (besides the sick and injured) but never got in the game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The original Magnificent Seven was in 1960, long before Chris Pratt was even born.
The character named Chris, not the actor

Heckuva cast

The Seven[edit]​

Cast publicity photo of "The Seven". Left to right: Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Horst Buchholz, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, Brad Dexter, and James Coburn

Reaction Score
You can buddy splint fingers together, however when it's a broken thumb, that's a whole different ballgame. Less stability in your grip, and nothing to splint it to to give it support. got back into playing while recovering from a broken thumb and that had mixed results.

Only saw Q4. How did Bettencourt do? I see that Ayanna had 10 point, she is really coming along. AE reaching AA status.

Still appears that Caroline is not right physically. I hope she will be ok.
Caroline played well for about half the game but struggled, particularly in the 4th quarter. Suspect that playing the entire game was a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom