MD Postgame Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

MD Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I m estatic that CD out of her funk.. 13 pt 7 bds, 3 asst.. the TO s she will clean up… we need her big going forward
With the UCONN " read and react" offense we had those turnover due to timing and less
practice time working on making those passes " work". This too will be ironed out with time!

Reaction Score
Late to the party here as I had to record the game and just finished watching.

A surprisingly close game. I'm sure Maryland is celebrating their victory; at some point dark thoughts will damped things as they internalize that at home, against a severely underwomened team that made a million turnovers, that they still gave up 78 points and won by a mere 7. Perhaps we'll see them again in March - I hope so.

The refs didn't distinguish themselves. The Terps we're floppin and the refs buyin.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Since this is a serious question.

Allie Kubek (torn ACL)
Emma Chardon (torn Meniscus)
Mila Reynolds (sick)
Ava Sciolla (sick)
Kubek hasn't played at all because of the injury. Chardon came off the bench in the first game and was injured after 5 minutes. Reynolds averages 6 minutes and 1.3 points. Sciolla averages 3.3 minutes and zero points. so, yeah, they were decimated by injuries.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
With the UCONN " read and react" offense we had those turnover due to timing and less
practice time working on making those passes " work". This too will be ironed out with time!
I thought the same thing, synchronization with ball movement and cutters was just a little off most of the game

Reaction Score
You must be seeing a different Lou?
I just see her make a shot and then they run the exact same play and she is open again and doesn’t take the shot, she just for me, makes a couple of strange decisions a game. She has been Awesome this year, but she makes bad decisions on defense and maybe I think Nan said something I didn’t think about. This is a new level for her and she is banged up and when you’re tired you make mistakes and poor decisions. She constantly gets beat and is overly aggressive with her hands and hips trying to catch up instead of giving up two points. She is always in foul trouble and is too important to make those silly mistakes. There is no excuse for her getting that many fouls so early today knowing her team’s player situation. Give up the two points and live to fight another day. She’s scoring for us but also her silly fouls are putting us in a position where she can’t help us because she’s on the bench.

Reaction Score
Or maybe fans here do understand that perspective but just don't feel like focusing on the mistakes that were made in key moments of a winnable game. Maybe with all the injuries the team is experiencing, and maybe with what the coach is going through now, some fans just don't think today is the day to focus on the "woulda, coulda, shouldas" of a winnable game. I know that's how I feel.

Yes, it was a winnable game.
Sure, that’s possible. But there’s nothing wrong with seeing it either way.

Reaction Score
Every goal they've had for this season remains in play and achievable: BE conf and tourney titles and the natty. Geno told us weeks ago that they weren't going undefeated.
exactly. not too much to complain about considering this injury-depleted team already has 3 top 10 wins under their belt & their only 2 losses came to top 25 teams without our full roster.

Reaction Score
Yes UConn had too many turnovers. Expected to have more than usual with player combinations that are new to them. To me that was not a help but they would have likely won fairly easily if Maryland was not on fire from the 3 point line. Every time UConn get it down to about even Maryland would hit 2 more es. I agree that was called by problematic 3 point defense but tough D is difficult when there is mostly no bench. Players could not afford to foul and it hurt an incredible performance by this great team. I was super proud of all of them!

Reaction Score
Nice analysis but I’d like to stand up for Lou. She came from Fairfield where she might have to play 2 or 3 ranked teams a year, and not within a few week span. Now, she’s unexpectedly become the focus of every opponent’s - ranked opponent’s - defense. And apparently she‘s been playing so hard, her foot is sore and she’s a little gimpy and therefore less mobile. It’s got to be taking a toll.

All the credit in the world to her that she’s become so important to the team in such a short period of time. But folks need to remember that while she’s used to being The Guy at Fairfield, being The Guy at UConn is another universe. I have tremendous respect for what she’s accomplished.

i honestly think she’s just wearing down. Her foot hurts and she’s getting the physical treatment all other stars at UConn get. I’m happy she gets a week to recharge her batteries
I agree with HUSKY NAN. I recall during the summer when some of the Boneyard was questiong whether
LOU LOPEZ SENECHAL is the real deal.... Now we know.. Lou has double figures in ALL her UCONN games!
One tough cookie and a great teammate !
Go LOU! Be Healthy. Z

Reaction Score
Despite the loss, here's why I liked this game. All the UCONN players learned to impact the game, but in different roles.

Patterson figured out she can score outside the paint and still get rebounds.

Ines experienced the difference between a Princeton defense and an athletic defense of MD. She did fine, it's just a whole different feel and rhythm. Geno hugged her at the end.

AE is officially in BEAST MODE PERIOD.

Amari seemed to play with more instinct and less hesitation. Block on Sellers was crushing. She had better body control on close outs.

Aubrey missed the qb to throw her the long outlet when she beats everyone down the floor. She didn't force jumpshots. She rebounded like a DEMON.

Caroline still pressing a bit, but that's the competitor. She had some nice cuts and work under the basket.
I loved the scene of GENO giving Ines some deserved KUDOS at the end of the game, NICE!

Reaction Score
Let's hope we never get to see Aaliyah reaching her physical limits before the others come back.

I often refer back to the junior years of Gabby & Kia when they were basically 7 deep and played six against the strong teams. Aaliyah is a workhorse but she has a lot of weight to carry, unlike Gabby. So, her stamina will likely be affected and exhaustion before season-end is likely to set in......but that is conventional wisdom. Who knows? She may have worked herself into great shape. On this team, only Aubrey is the kind of athlete Gabby was.

Even if they qualify for the NCAA tournament with a mix and match lineup for a while, if they are to go deep into the tournament and keep their FF streak alive, Azzi, Dorka, Nika must return and Caroline must be herself again.

Keeping fingers crossed they all come back in optimal time to make a good run.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She did. But she went on and on about Marylands injuries...That was more about her claim of beating Uconn...Although I would give the game an asterisk win for Maryland.
There are no asterisk's in football.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
We fans weren’t in the locker room and we didn’t play. We fans didn’t expect the team we cheer for to be within 15 or so points in this game but the Huskies, surprisingly, had a chance late

The athletes are probably disappointed; we fans are thrilled and proud of how they played. Anyone who expects the fans to “feel one got away” is doomed to disappointment if they think we should be in agreement
Well said. You "put on paper" exactly how I felt and couldn't find a way to express it. My sincere thanks.

Reaction Score
In public, Brenda is bound to put some sort of spin on the result. But if she's a genuine coach, tomorrow she'll let her players know they deserve little praise for this victory. Of course, I imagine it's asking too much to think she might tell Sellers and Miller to cut out the in-game taunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom