MD Postgame Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

MD Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, post #299. Just a couple of things that (remarkably) have not been mentioned in the prior 298 posts:

1. Just jamming you thumb stays painful for a couple of weeks. Breaking it? Let's face it you need to good hands to catch hard passes and fight for rebounds. Only Dorks knows how much it still hurts. This is her last year, I'm sure she wants to be in there (which is why she opted for the additional year), so it must still be painful. A splint might prevent additional injury, but I bet it doesn't do much for the pain.

2. Lazy (slow) passes when the defense is playing tight and picking up your dribble (dumb to begin with) and none of the other 4 players running to the ball should be easily fixable, even at the CYO level.

3. I thought the backcourt was backcourt when I saw it in real time. In any event it was way too close. No need for that, a mental mistake.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, this was one of the most level headed, balanced comments I have read in many years.
While I appreciate your desire to defend Ines, having played on several national teams, she has more experience than most frosh. Her performance is not solely her fault since with UConn being down so many guards, other teams are doubling her more, exploiting her issues. It is what it is.
it’s not her physical/basketball skills that impress me as much as her poise and mental toughness. By her own account, the largest crowd she’s ever played in front of was 200 and they were probably not as hostile as the MD fans. She probably didn’t expect to start this early in her career, either. But her demeanor is calm and her play as steady as possible under the circumstances

And, oh yes, she’s only 17

Reaction Score
Regarding all the "doctors" commenting on Dorka's thumb, suspect Geno remembers playing Butler in about the 2015 era with mixed results while her broken thumb was still healing. While she saved a few games, she also took alot of criticism for constantly dropping the ball. Her final year at George Washington, fully healed, she lead the nation in rebounding and double doubles.

Reaction Score
To all those who dislike my opinions, as a player I would be very much insulted with posts that communicate, “I didn’t think you could win, so congratulations on coming close and losing”; competitors play to win, not to get condescending praise. Real competitors feel bad when they come close and let it slip away, they don’t take solace in coming close, but realistically I should know by now not to bother going there.
My last word, the Uconn players and coaches played that game to WIN and I guarantee my view of the PLAYERS reaction is a lot more accurate than, “Oh, I am so proud of myself for coming close”!

Reaction Score
Inez and DeBerry: These minutes will not help them unless they get some real playing time .. 2 minutes in the first half, and more second half time in 30 - 40 point blowouts. They could have played more in the previous games this year and would have been more prepared for this.
If they have to wait for another disaster then they will not be ready again. That is the only problem I have with Geno. Making the earn playing time hurt us today. If they are good enough to be offered a scholarship they should play a little, esp when we are winning a game by 30. Two minutes in garbage time is not enough to get them ready.
Well, me thinks that playing against the best in practice and with the impressive coaches would also have some effect on a player's development. Yes, actual game experience is invaluable, hard to say which is better but remember the experience level of a high school grad and a 4-5th year college player is night and day. We are seeing good growth in our bench under duress. We'll see how the dividends play out. It surely can't hurt.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
To all those who dislike my opinions, as a player I would be very much insulted with posts that communicate, “I didn’t think you could win, so congratulations on coming close and losing”; competitors play to win, not to get condescending praise. Real competitors feel bad when they come close and let it slip away, they don’t take solace in coming close, but realistically I should know by now not to bother going there.
My last word, the Uconn players and coaches played that game to WIN and I guarantee my view of the PLAYERS reaction is a lot more accurate than, “Oh, I am so proud of myself for coming close”!
You might be taking the thumbs down a little personally. It simply indicates disagreement with the opinion. We like you, we just don’t always agree with you

Reaction Score
I'm with you Littlemin, lets grow from the experience, not take another snow day. We are we soft today? Competitive players want to win, not just look good in losing. I do feel that you can learn more from losing than winning if it fits your mentality. Sometime the opponent is just better. Our great bench watched and grew as well, sitting on the sidelines provides a coach's view.

Reaction Score
Nan, this was one of the most level headed, balanced comments I have read in many years.
While I appreciate your desire to defend Ines, having played on several national teams, she has more experience than most frosh. Her performance is not solely her fault since with UConn being down so many guards, other teams are doubling her more, exploiting her issues. It is what it is.
Playing on international teams doesn't mean that a player has had extensive experience playing in game environment last yesterday's. FIBA competitions in Europe are different than what we expect coming from North America.

Bettencourt's FIBA history is one tournament of competition at the "B" level, which means their team isn't of the level that could compete at the FIBA world championships based on what I understand. Contrast her experience with Muhl, who has been playing on national teams since 2015, I'm not sure how Bettencourt can be criticized about experience.

And where would she have experience playing against players like Miller, Sellers and Meyers overseas? It's not going to be at the B level of European FIBA tournaments.

Reaction Score
it’s not her physical/basketball skills that impress me as much as her poise and mental toughness. By her own account, the largest crowd she’s ever played in front of was 200 and they were probably not as hostile as the MD fans. She probably didn’t expect to start this early in her career, either. But her demeanor is calm and her play as steady as possible under the circumstances

And, oh yes, she’s only 17
Not significant to discussion, but Ines is actually 18, her birthday was September 29th.

Reaction Score
Our team's overall effort brought little tears of joy to my eyes. My favorite moment? Amari making a strong block, then snatching the ball from the fallen shooter's outstretched hands with a triumphant grin.
She was lucky to not get a technical call fouled.

Reaction Score
Just a few reactions from someone who thought UConn might lose by 20:
1. I'd love to play MD again with even one more healthy player. Dorka? Nika? You pick. I think UConn wins with either.
2. UConn did not do a good job of getting Lou free for clear 3 pointers. Of course, MD had something to do with that.
3. Amari is going to be good. She's got some offense and can block shots.
4. This configuration of players has to work on defending the mid-range jumper and the three point shot. They just had no answers for those.
5. Remember last year's Aaliyah? Look at her now. What a difference.
6. It would be really unfair to expect that Bettencourt would have second, third and fourth quarters like her first quarter. Considering how little time she's had running the team, she did well.
7. Caroline is coming around, My guess is she's maybe one game from being fully back in business
8. Let's hope that Dorka and especially Nika can come back for Florida State.
100% agree. I figured 15-20 point loss. Fact is if we didn’t have 22 turnovers and they didn’t shoot unbelievably from 3, UConn would have pulled it off. Credit to MD to be successful in the things they needed to win. Funny to me how Brenda said their injury situation is like ours. Dumbest thing I’ve heard all year and that’s after a Notre Dame game.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Regarding all the "doctors" commenting on Dorka's thumb, suspect Geno remembers playing Butler in about the 2015 era with mixed results while her broken thumb was still healing. While she saved a few games, she also took alot of criticism for constantly dropping the ball. Her final year at George Washington, fully healed, she lead the nation in rebounding and double doubles.
Minor correction. Natalie played for George Mason in her final year, where she accomplished what you posted.

Reaction Score
I am sure it was Geno largely. I think it is designed to accelerate team cohesion, individual development, and to prepare the team for playing in the NCAA or Big East in a hostile environment. I just question the efficacy this early in the season especially in light of what has occurred. Though it certainly looks counter productive right now, we should reserve judgement until April, you agree?
actually caught him not complaining, but mentioning how the scheduling was done by someone else, and he wasn't really happy with it!

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno has any choice. Once the Big East season starts, there are very few open dates. I'm pretty sure Geno did NOT anticipate all these injuries when making the schedule. If everyone is healthy to start next season, this schedule will cement us at the top of the polls. Be grateful that these top teams will schedule us at all.
he has imput but he doesn't make the schedule, heard him on a video earlier this year mentioning it

Reaction Score
So-now that I've read, digested, and thought about yesterday, my thoughts are as follows. I may be beating a horse to death, bringing something new to the table, or just reaffirming a statement someone made on page 4 of this thread.

1. Lou, kid, you're amazing. We love to have you...but your foul trouble has got be addressed. Her on the bench in that second quarter was just not ideal.

2. The experience for Ines, DeBarry, and Patterson simply can't be overlooked. Ines and Amari, specifically, are showing that they can play in a tight game and be counted on going forward. I obviously want our injured players back, but man, think of how much better off we will be in March when Nika/Dorka needs some rest in the S16 and we can put Amari and Ines in the game in the second quarter for 3-4 minutes.

3. Patterson. When her offense catches up with her athleticism and motor. Watch all the way out.

4. This team, with what they've been through in 8 days, could very well have had GaTech 2.0 yesterday. Instead, they dug deep, played a great game, but just couldn't get over the turnovers.

5. As for CAroline, she will get there. That kid has played very limited basketball since last January if you really think about it. That's a long time to be in and out of conditioning.

Reaction Score
Caroline played well for about half the game but struggled, particularly in the 4th quarter. Suspect that playing the entire game was a factor.
I just re-watched the second half and came away feeling that, not only was Caroline effective, she was likely, other than Aaliyah, the best player on the court for the Huskies until the final several minutes, when clearly she was gassed.

She scored 10 points in the second half and, while often needing to bring the ball up the court, threw lead passes that Aubrey, Lou and Ayanna all turned into missed layups. She's not a point guard, yet on the court with that big lineup, she was seemingly the Huskies' closest thing to it.

As for her six turnovers, one came when Aaliyah gave her a bounce pass in the paint when Caroline was surrounded by four defenders... she was quickly tied up and the TO was hers. Another time, Ines saw Caroline too late in the paint and fed her the ball just as Maryland's weakside help similarly surrounded Caroline, leading to a shuffle of her feet.

Caroline made that ill-advised pass to Aaliyah at midcourt, resulting another TO, and also tried to get it to Aubrey when the latter cut the other way, another TO. Those two were on her. She also got a TO when she did extend her arm but Sellers employed one of her countless flops to draw the charge.

While surely tired after playing 39 minutes, I'd say Caroline played well and was, along with Aaliyah and Ayanna, the key to a second-half rally that cut a 12-point deficit to zero early in the fourth.

Finally, as some have noted, she was open frequently in the paint with a smaller defender on her, but Ines or others were just not able to find her when she needed the ball.

Those who are afraid Caroline isn't up to it physically should rest easy. I believe Caroline's got her game very close to where the Huskies need it to be, and in the nick of time. 13 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists.

All that said, I was really proud of all seven Huskies players and, paraphrasing Geno, the game was lost on the scoreboard yet won in other ways.

Reaction Score
actually caught him not complaining, but mentioning how the scheduling was done by someone else, and he wasn't really happy with it!
There you go. That explains it. It was clearly not ideal. Even one more day in between would be helpful.

Reaction Score
I just re-watched the second half and came away feeling that, not only was Caroline effective, she was likely, other than Aaliyah, the best player on the court for the Huskies until the final several minutes, when clearly she was gassed.

She scored 10 points in the second half and, while often needing to bring the ball up the court, threw lead passes that Aubrey, Lou and Ayanna all turned into missed layups. She's not a point guard, yet on the court with that big lineup, she was seemingly the Huskies' closest thing to it.

As for her six turnovers, one came when Aaliyah gave her a bounce pass in the paint when Caroline was surrounded by four defenders... she was quickly tied up and the TO was hers. Another time, Ines saw Caroline too late in the paint and fed her the ball just as Maryland's weakside help similarly surrounded Caroline, leading to a shuffle of her feet.

Caroline made that ill-advised pass to Aaliyah at midcourt, resulting another TO, and also tried to get it to Aubrey when the latter cut the other way, another TO. Those two were on her. She also got a TO when she did extend her arm but Sellers employed one of her countless flops to draw the charge.

While surely tired after playing 39 minutes, I'd say Caroline played well and was, along with Aaliyah and Ayanna, the key to a second-half rally that cut a 12-point deficit to zero early in the fourth.

Finally, as some have noted, she was open frequently in the paint with a smaller defender on her, but Ines or others were just not able to find her when she needed the ball.

Those who are afraid Caroline isn't up to it physically should rest easy. I believe Caroline's got her game very close to where the Huskies need it to be, and in the nick of time. 13 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists.

All that said, I was really proud of all seven Huskies players and, paraphrasing Geno, the game was lost on the scoreboard yet won in other ways.
Caroline is most effective under the hoop or cutting or slashing. She is a big "small' forward at 6'2' and I bet her wing span is 6'4". They have to make a point of finding her. She will get it in or get fouled. I think the turnovers are just layers of the onion that will be peeled off as we go forward. I hope.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The character named Chris, not the actor

Heckuva cast

The Seven[edit]​

Cast publicity photo of "The Seven". Left to right: Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Horst Buchholz, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, Brad Dexter, and James Coburn
Also worth mentioning the wonderful performance of Eli Wallach as Calvera, the evil leader of the band of outlaws who terrorized the Mexican village. Great ending scene when Calvera is eventually shot by Chris (Yul Brinner) and as he dies, he can’t comprehend why the 7 came back to save this miserable little village after they were chased out of town.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Completely agreed. If you look at the plus minus, she was the largest positive for the huskies. She played less time overall than Ines. Her offense is dynamite, but the biggest room for growth is defense, mainly defense without fouling. She’ll adjust.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This was posted earlier in the thread but bears repeating. Players were put into unfamiliar roles, with a short turnaround from Princeton, on the road against a ranked team. three (Lou, Amari, Caroline) had some kind of physical issue (foot, calf, neck, respectively). Of course they wore down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom