MD Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

MD Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice analysis but I’d like to stand up for Lou. She came from Fairfield where she might have to play 2 or 3 ranked teams a year, and not within a few week span. Now, she’s unexpectedly become the focus of every opponent’s - ranked opponent’s - defense. And apparently she‘s been playing so hard, her foot is sore and she’s a little gimpy and therefore less mobile. It’s got to be taking a toll.

All the credit in the world to her that she’s become so important to the team in such a short period of time. But folks need to remember that while she’s used to being The Guy at Fairfield, being The Guy at UConn is another universe. I have tremendous respect for what she’s accomplished.

i honestly think she’s just wearing down. Her foot hurts and she’s getting the physical treatment all other stars at UConn get. I’m happy she gets a week to recharge her batteries
Yes, she was definitely worn down. You could see it in her face. She is a warrior though and will be absolutely electric come March.

Reaction Score
Definitely win with Nika. First of all the defense on the perimeter and when they bring the ball up, secondly the assists (Ines had 2), thirdly the court presence and command of the offense and fourth, our forwards (counting Lou here) had to handle the ball and hence 25 turnovers to their 5.

For Ines, she makes certain freshman mistakes over and over. which I am sure will be corrected soon. The first is that she turns her back to the basket when dribbling which means she is no longer an offensive threat and cannot see the half court. Secondly, she throws one handed slower push passes off the dribble which may have worked for her last year but with the bigger, quicker and stronger American players it doesn't work at all and forces the receiver to come out of their spot to get it. Third, she dribbles far too much. Bring it down court, make your first pass safely and quickly, and then repeat if necessary. A lot of this is strength too and will change.

For Caroline, the turnovers (6) are difficult to understand from a player this heady. Many of the turnovers were either unforced in her case or because they forced our forwards to make decisions and that hurt us. She is a favorite of mine and I just hope her focus/judgment if that's what it is returns soon.

Lou was definitely tired today. You could see it in her face. I think that is the simple answer. Fatigue makes you foul. It also affects you on offense.

Aaliyah had a great game and Aubrey was huge on the glass with 15 boards but 3-9 from the field. She had the lowest FG% on our team with some forced shots. Ayanna is improving with each game and Amari is getting there slowly.

My biggest takeaway is the scheduling. That's the second week in a row we played at home against an easier team( Princeton is one compared to our other OOC games) on a Friday and then had to play a ranked team on a Sunday away after a plane ride. I get that we are mimicking the NCAA Friday- Sunday games but all it has done thus far has made us beaten up, weary, and bedraggled, and given us two losses. The losses are almost irrelevant this time of year but I don't see how the one day rest games in December are going to help in late March.

The real positives are the growth of certain players in the midst of this cycle, especially Ayanna, Amari, Aaliyah and Aubrey with Caroline still getting there. I have no doubt in the long range success of this mission but it is tough watching at times while knowing what would happen if we had Azzi, Nika and Dorka out there. A week off is sorely needed, no pun intended.
agree with the scheduling is poor, this is the time of year you want to get your team playing together, working on problems, and that can't be done with the injuries, and the 36 hr turnarounds out of state to play a ranked team!
Whoever scheduled these games like this needs a talking to, so it doesn't happen again!

Reaction Score
A couple of points, I don’t go into games with preconceived notions about what is going to happen. Yes, who is available to play matters greatly but once the ball is thrown up, the game becomes the game. If I am a Uconn player I am very disappointed because as it unfolded that was a very winnable game.It doesn’t matter what might have happened had Uconn didn‘t have players out or if the game was reffed differently or trying to take solace by saying if we play again we win.
Senechal’s 3rd foul was a killer, as was UConn’s inability to find Meyers in the 2nd qtr. The unforced TOs were a killer. Particularly galling to me was the ridiculous foul call on the 3 pointer late against Edwards. Refs keep rewarding players for a most un-basketball move, kicking their legs forward on a jump shot, a particular pet peeve of mine.
Anyway, ready made excuses aside, if I played for Uconn, I couldn’t feel anything but that we gave one away.
And yes, I agree the team played hard, very hard but you play to win and I think regardless of the injuries, the game was there to be had.
I'm thinking its Md who should be very worried cause with extra foul shots, extra possessions from turnovers because of UCONN's starting guards injured, they barely beat a beat up UCONN team at home!

Reaction Score
agree with the scheduling is poor, this is the time of year you want to get your team playing together, working on problems, and that can't be done with the injuries, and the 36 hr turnarounds out of state to play a ranked team!
Whoever scheduled these games like this needs a talking to, so it doesn't happen again!
I am sure it was Geno largely. I think it is designed to accelerate team cohesion, individual development, and to prepare the team for playing in the NCAA or Big East in a hostile environment. I just question the efficacy this early in the season especially in light of what has occurred. Though it certainly looks counter productive right now, we should reserve judgement until April, you agree?

Reaction Score
I'm thinking its Md who should be very worried cause with extra foul shots, extra possessions from turnovers because of UCONN's starting guards injured, they barely beat a beat up UCONN team at home!
They are going nowhere. They are small underneath and if they have an off 3 ball night they are toast.

Reaction Score
I get a kick out of the two posters who disliked me saying if I were a Uconn player I would be disappointed and feel like I gave a winnable game slip away. That is not in any way meant as a knock on the players effort, in fact, I said in the post the team played very hard. But the players who played proved they were competitors by how hard they played and how else should a competitor feel?

Reaction Score
As a coach you never want to diminish a win and the effort by your team. Credit to Maryland that they made key shots down the stretch. Other teams might have missed them. Still, there is a way of praising your team while acknowledging that the other team was much less than full strength. Geno would have found a way to say that; not so for Brenda.

That is the difference between the two, in a nutshell.

Reaction Score
For those that have wondered how the Huskies second five would be ranked, this might be as close as you ever get to getting an answer... You could probably make a case for borderline top 25....
No. With Aubrey, Lou, AE starting, it wasn’t the second 5. That would have been AP, CD, Amari, Ines, and pick one ..probably Aubrey if Dorka was available. That second 5 loses to Butler.

Reaction Score
Who said anything about anyone being worried? My comments were directed towards today’s game and today’s game only.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Maryland game:
  • I was thinking of an old movie that I love: THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN!!!!!
  • With a badly depleted lineup, this was going to be a nearly impossible task for the Huskies today against the 20th ranked Terps. Without Paige, Ice, Dorka, Azzi & Nika, UConn had no justifiable right hanging with MD.
  • But somehow, incredibly, this UConn team did hang around for the entire game despite too many turnovers, Lou getting into foul trouble and MD heating up from the arc.
  • UConn outplayed MD in the paint, dominating the boards 46-23 and getting much of their scoring inside. The killer A’s; Aaliyah, Aubrey and Ayanna all showed up today and they kept the Huskies in the game.
  • Ines looked great in the first qtr, making several nice plays and showing remarkable poise. In the 2nd qtr, the going got a little rougher as she committed some turnovers. I would like to see Ines shoot the ball when the defense backs off. I think that confidence will come in time.
  • After a shaky start, Caroline picked up her play and made an impact. She needs to cut down on turnovers. But otherwise we're starting to see glimpses of the player that carried this team for much of last season.
  • I am incredibly proud of how hard UConn competed today! I know it’s so very difficult when so many Huskies are out with injuries. Be patient everyone. The time will come when the walking wounded will be back and no one will look forward to playing this UConn team.
Couldn't agree more. A heroic effort, to be sure.

Reaction Score
Definitely win with Nika. First of all the defense on the perimeter and when they bring the ball up, secondly the assists (Ines had 2), thirdly the court presence and command of the offense and fourth, our forwards (counting Lou here) had to handle the ball and hence 25 turnovers to their 5.

For Ines, she makes certain freshman mistakes over and over. which I am sure will be corrected soon. The first is that she turns her back to the basket when dribbling which means she is no longer an offensive threat and cannot see the half court. Secondly, she throws one handed slower push passes off the dribble which may have worked for her last year but with the bigger, quicker and stronger American players it doesn't work at all and forces the receiver to come out of their spot to get it. Third, she dribbles far too much. Bring it down court, make your first pass safely and quickly, and then repeat if necessary. A lot of this is strength too and will change.

For Caroline, the turnovers (6) are difficult to understand from a player this heady. Many of the turnovers were either unforced in her case or because they forced our forwards to make decisions and that hurt us. She is a favorite of mine and I just hope her focus/judgment if that's what it is returns soon.

Lou was definitely tired today. You could see it in her face. I think that is the simple answer. Fatigue makes you foul. It also affects you on offense.

Aaliyah had a great game and Aubrey was huge on the glass with 15 boards but 3-9 from the field. She had the lowest FG% on our team with some forced shots. Ayanna is improving with each game and Amari is getting there slowly.

My biggest takeaway is the scheduling. That's the second week in a row we played at home against an easier team( Princeton is one compared to our other OOC games) on a Friday and then had to play a ranked team on a Sunday away after a plane ride. I get that we are mimicking the NCAA Friday- Sunday games but all it has done thus far has made us beaten up, weary, and bedraggled, and given us two losses. The losses are almost irrelevant this time of year but I don't see how the one day rest games in December are going to help in late March.

The real positives are the growth of certain players in the midst of this cycle, especially Ayanna, Amari, Aaliyah and Aubrey with Caroline still getting there. I have no doubt in the long range success of this mission but it is tough watching at times while knowing what would happen if we had Azzi, Nika and Dorka out there. A week off is sorely needed, no pun intended.
Nice recap especially with the scheduling thoughts. I don't think we believed we would be playing this many bench players in Dec.

During this game we also had to play too many minutes per player, so most were exhausted in the 4th period. Caroline was especially tried causing her to hurry and trap herself against the sidelines much too much with rushed passes. She needs to slow down if she can. Good to see her more effective underneath and with nice cuts that often went unrewarded. Our team passing is late. We often had a lack of speed and court sense, just out of sync.

Reaction Score
AE may have just put herself in AA consideration. To win, we would have needed more offense from more than just AE. Hard to offset the 3 point barrage in Q2 (give MD credit) with our offensively-challenged lineup.
I agree--even with sometimes senseless turnovers, our main struggle was when Lou got into foul trouble and we didn't really have an outside scorer. But it says a lot that largely a team comprised of our bench could compete with a top 20 team...

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I am sure it was Geno largely. I think it is designed to accelerate team cohesion, individual development, and to prepare the team for playing in the NCAA or Big East in a hostile environment. I just question the efficacy this early in the season especially in light of what has occurred. Though it certainly looks counter productive right now, we should reserve judgement until April, you agree?
I don't think Geno has any choice. Once the Big East season starts, there are very few open dates. I'm pretty sure Geno did NOT anticipate all these injuries when making the schedule. If everyone is healthy to start next season, this schedule will cement us at the top of the polls. Be grateful that these top teams will schedule us at all.

Reaction Score
Our team's overall effort brought little tears of joy to my eyes. My favorite moment? Amari making a strong block, then snatching the ball from the fallen shooter's outstretched hands with a triumphant grin.
And they called it a tie up instead of a play on where Amari could chuck it down court for a free transition basket. I don't know why they are so quick to blow the whistle now. It's not a tie up when one team clearly comes away with the ball.

Reaction Score
I appreciate this team.

AE did everything today. What maturity she has gained! I noticed she was directing a lot of the offense from her position…taking so much responsibility on her shoulders. And staying calm and within herself.

I was thinking about what this game would have looked like in past years relying so heavily on end of bench players. Disastrous! Kudos to the 7 who played their hardness and kept their cool in the face of so many adversities.

PS. I’m just not a fan of Brenda.

Reaction Score
Also, playing high school football vs. UConn basketball is like comparing Little League to the Yankees.
and of course, if the player is not a quarter back, running back, center, wide receiver, punt/kick returner or punter, the fingers really aren't that important. You don't need them to block, tackle or knock down a pass. Whereas in Basketball, the ability to use your hands and fingers to catch, shoot and pass the ball is pretty important...regardless of your position

Reaction Score
Very good sign when your bench and a starter can play an away game against #20 and you compete like this. I get the turnovers, but they were kind of expected in a lineup that I'm sure no one thought they would ever see on the floor together and in EXTENDED minutes. I have little, if any complaints. When you're asked to step up, on this stage, it's unfair to expect bumps.

Reaction Score
I get a kick out of the two posters who disliked me saying if I were a Uconn player I would be disappointed and feel like I gave a winnable game slip away. That is not in any way meant as a knock on the players effort, in fact, I said in the post the team played very hard. But the players who played proved they were competitors by how hard they played and how else should a competitor feel?
That’s because they can’t understand your perspective. They only see the game as a fan, not as a competitor, player, or coach does. With some offensive and transitional discipline this game was very winnable. But these particular kids just aren’t capable of it yet.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I cannot remember any team that has been so pounded with injuries as our wonderful Huskies. I expected them to lose this game and by substantially more than the final margin. I am immensely proud of these Huskies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Her second foot never touched the front court correct call
I did not review the play yet but you do not need to touch the frontcourt with the second foot to be in the frontcourt. You only need to be in contact with the frontcourt and no longer touching the backcourt.

On edit: I just reviewed the play and it seems clear she received the ball before her foot established herself into the front court so the call was correct.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Maryland game:
  • I was thinking of an old movie that I love: THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN!!!!!
  • With a badly depleted lineup, this was going to be a nearly impossible task for the Huskies today against the 20th ranked Terps. Without Paige, Ice, Dorka, Azzi & Nika, UConn had no justifiable right hanging with MD.
  • But somehow, incredibly, this UConn team did hang around for the entire game despite too many turnovers, Lou getting into foul trouble and MD heating up from the arc.
  • UConn outplayed MD in the paint, dominating the boards 46-23 and getting much of their scoring inside. The killer A’s; Aaliyah, Aubrey and Ayanna all showed up today and they kept the Huskies in the game.
  • Ines looked great in the first qtr, making several nice plays and showing remarkable poise. In the 2nd qtr, the going got a little rougher as she committed some turnovers. I would like to see Ines shoot the ball when the defense backs off. I think that confidence will come in time.
  • After a shaky start, Caroline picked up her play and made an impact. She needs to cut down on turnovers. But otherwise we're starting to see glimpses of the player that carried this team for much of last season.
  • I am incredibly proud of how hard UConn competed today! I know it’s so very difficult when so many Huskies are out with injuries. Be patient everyone. The time will come when the walking wounded will be back and no one will look forward to playing this UConn team.
But the magnificent seven were victorious. I agree that we had no business hanging with Maryland. I disagree with you about the killer A's ( except for Edwards ). Aubrey went into her " I do not dare shoot mental shell" again, and every time she hesitated, she missed. So she just played the lay-up game. And she is not a good ball handler when she puts it on the floor. If we had the Aubrey who showed up against Princeton, we might have stolen this one. As for Patterson, she did well but she is not yet showing a game "necessary to defend." She still has not taken a shot beyond a lay-in or put back. So Maryland just plants someone in the paint and they fight each other. I think Ines is not physically ready to handle more than a quarter's worth of game. She did well in the first quarter. Then, she lost both steam and confidence. Did someone tell her, "don't ever shoot the ball?" They didn't even need to defend her, knowing she was looking for a passing option. I give her credit, nonetheless. No one expected her to ever be on the court if we had less than a 40 point lead. Caroline woke up a bit, but she was awful in ball security. She threw the ball away two times in the first two minutes. And
the " back court " pass to Edwards was what an eight grader might do. I agree about patience. We might as well just enjoy the Xmas holidays and look in on the Lady huskies again near the end of January. With luck ( of which this team has had little to none ), we might have a competitive team again. I need DeBerry to sink one of those outside shots. She needs the confidence.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That’s because they can’t understand your perspective. They only see the game as a fan, not as a competitor, player, or coach does. With some offensive and transitional discipline this game was very winnable. But these particular kids just aren’t capable of it yet.
Or maybe fans here do understand that perspective but just don't feel like focusing on the mistakes that were made in key moments of a winnable game. Maybe with all the injuries the team is experiencing, and maybe with what the coach is going through now, some fans just don't think today is the day to focus on the "woulda, coulda, shouldas" of a winnable game. I know that's how I feel.

Yes, it was a winnable game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer