MD Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

MD Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Pride is the only word I can think of to describe this game. This team does not back down. They do not take prisoners. They do not quit. All of this was in abundance today. This is the culture of UConn basketball.

The turnovers will correct themselves when our guards are back at full strength. Defense will improve when our starters are back. Ines played a good game. She has a lot to learn yet, but she will be valuable down the stretch. Amari - the best play of the game was the block on Sellers, sending her to the floor and ripping the ball from her with authority. Plus the look on Amari's face was perfect. If looks could kill.

As to Brenda - enjoy your 15 seconds of fame. If we see you again in the tournament, you won't be celebrating.

Reaction Score
While turnovers were a deciding factor, we can't forget that Maryland scored 27 more points than UCONN from 3 point range. I was hoping Lou & Caroline would match Maryland, they were only 3 for 7 from behind the arc.

Reaction Score
Hard to lose when you are +23 on the boards and out-shoot the other team 54% to 42%.
It is easy to lose when you give the opponent 14 more shots, and they are hitting the shots at the end of the shot clock AND they are three point shots.

Reaction Score
Despite the loss, here's why I liked this game. All the UCONN players learned to impact the game, but in different roles.

Patterson figured out she can score outside the paint and still get rebounds.

Ines experienced the difference between a Princeton defense and an athletic defense of MD. She did fine, it's just a whole different feel and rhythm. Geno hugged her at the end.

AE is officially in BEAST MODE PERIOD.

Amari seemed to play with more instinct and less hesitation. Block on Sellers was crushing. She had better body control on close outs.

Aubrey missed the qb to throw her the long outlet when she beats everyone down the floor. She didn't force jumpshots. She rebounded like a DEMON.

Caroline still pressing a bit, but that's the competitor. She had some nice cuts and work under the basket.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Oh yeah even if they have just Nika they easily win I think because of what she brings on the defensive end and as an experienced ball handler on the offensive side. There were a lot of predictions of it being a blow out on the prediction thread, so the fact that they took a top 20 team down to the wire on the road with 7 players 2 of whom average like a combined 4 minutes a game is pretty amazing. Geno coached his butt off today under very difficult circumstances and if anyone needs proof that he's the best ever today was it.
Is it just me, or did it look like Geno spent quite a bit of time on the court coaching his kids up? I mean on the court. He was really in to it today.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I was a bit surprised by the outcome. I expected at least a 15 point loss. There were a couple of bright spots, Patterson was able to find the basket and despite the turnovers Ducharme had her best game of the year and she can build off this.
Not so bright spots, Tennessee like turnover numbers, DeBerry contributing little to the offense and UConn's 3 point defense (lack of) and 3 point offense (lack of).

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm getting sentimental in my latter years, but I feel so blessed to have Geno as a coach. He just will not accept excuses or discouragement from his team. He drew up a game plan for his decimated roster and the score was tied midway through the 4th quarter. Geno was coaching his butt off until the final buzzer and his team feeds off that passion.

Reaction Score
Only saw Q4. How did Bettencourt do? I see that Ayanna had 10 point, she is really coming along. AE reaching AA status.

Still appears that Caroline is not right physically. I hope she will be ok.

Reaction Score
Incredible game for UConn, 1 player short of a victory...with Caroline's up and down play, Ines' lack of shooting skills or confidence from outside, and lots of hard contact. The bench players learned stuff they could not get from any kind of practice, and in the long run this will really help them play better.

Reaction Score
We will never know but felt if Lou didn't get into foul issues and was able to run the team instead of Ines we would have won. Not a perfect ball handler, Lou is taller and makes good decisions. Ines was open many, many times and didn't take the shot-never would happen with Lou. Ines tried had but is a poor passer, often missing open UConn players. She is often slow to the ball with many of Maryland's shooters hitting 3's when Inez didn't get out on them in time. Game was much closer than I thought - gritty effort by every member of the Huskies.

Reaction Score
20 turnovers and MD shooting lights out from arc. Can’t win like that. Want proof? UConn shot 50%, beat them in the paint and out rebounded them by a lot. Doesn’t matter though.

I feel sooooo bad for this team. This is a 30 point win if we can play our players. 4/5 starters sitting on bench.

Then MD storms the court like they won the National Championship? What? Does Brenda, the players and the fans NOT know who’s sitting on the bed not able to play? Sad.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Maryland game:
  • I was thinking of an old movie that I love: THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN!!!!!
  • With a badly depleted lineup, this was going to be a nearly impossible task for the Huskies today against the 20th ranked Terps. Without Paige, Ice, Dorka, Azzi & Nika, UConn had no justifiable right hanging with MD.
  • But somehow, incredibly, this UConn team did hang around for the entire game despite too many turnovers, Lou getting into foul trouble and MD heating up from the arc.
  • UConn outplayed MD in the paint, dominating the boards 46-23 and getting much of their scoring inside. The killer A’s; Aaliyah, Aubrey and Ayanna all showed up today and they kept the Huskies in the game.
  • Ines looked great in the first qtr, making several nice plays and showing remarkable poise. In the 2nd qtr, the going got a little rougher as she committed some turnovers. I would like to see Ines shoot the ball when the defense backs off. I think that confidence will come in time.
  • After a shaky start, Caroline picked up her play and made an impact. She needs to cut down on turnovers. But otherwise we're starting to see glimpses of the player that carried this team for much of last season.
  • I am incredibly proud of how hard UConn competed today! I know it’s so very difficult when so many Huskies are out with injuries. Be patient everyone. The time will come when the walking wounded will be back and no one will look forward to playing this UConn team.
I like the way fought, right to the very end. Bodes well for the future, great work by our second teamers.

Kat

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed this game. Yes, lots of turnovers but not unexpected when you have combinations of players who have not played together on the floor. Loved the way that they moved the ball, kept up the pace, and played hard at all times on D. Edwards just gets more amazing each game. It's a long way from being a blue-chipper in HS to playing top-level Division 1 BB but these players showed their quality.

As has been pointed out, the refs were...interesting. Didn't know you could get called for fouling a teammate, or get called after taking a shot to the head, either. That Maryland player who flopped and then popped up grinning about getting the foul called on UConn was special. But as I said, I was impressed with the Huskies' talent and grit.

Reaction Score
Just a few reactions from someone who thought UConn might lose by 20:
1. I'd love to play MD again with even one more healthy player. Dorka? Nika? You pick. I think UConn wins with either.
2. UConn did not do a good job of getting Lou free for clear 3 pointers. Of course, MD had something to do with that.
3. Amari is going to be good. She's got some offense and can block shots.
4. This configuration of players has to work on defending the mid-range jumper and the three point shot. They just had no answers for those.
5. Remember last year's Aaliyah? Look at her now. What a difference.
6. It would be really unfair to expect that Bettencourt would have second, third and fourth quarters like her first quarter. Considering how little time she's had running the team, she did well.
7. Caroline is coming around, My guess is she's maybe one game from being fully back in business
8. Let's hope that Dorka and especially Nika can come back for Florida State.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
As has been pointed out, the refs were...interesting. Didn't know you could get called for fouling a teammate, or get called after taking a shot to the head, either. That Maryland player who flopped and then popped up grinning about getting the foul called on UConn was special. But as I said, I was impressed with the Huskies' talent and grit.
When UConn gets a charge call, they cheer each other, pop up, and go about their business. If you use what I call "gamesmanship" to get a call, keep it to yourself, go onto the next play. I hate the preening, etc.

Reaction Score
Did you notice the end of the game when Geno congratulated Ines Bettencourt before joining the hand shake line? He realizes that she was put in a monumental situation & she competed to the best if her ability.
Without these injuries, Ines would have only seen action in blowouts & as short relief for Nika this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom