MD Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

MD Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
First, RIP to the one of the great moms in BB, Marsiella Auriemma. This was just another game in a long season, but her loss will be felt forever. I'm gonna miss seeing that lovely face as she spoke about Geno, her family, and the team. No matter the score, no matter the outcome, I'm certain, although it never showed in the game, that it weighs even heavier on Geno's mind and the mind of his family.

As for the game? If there is such a thing as a good loss (no, there isn't), this was one. Yeah, Carolina's mechanics in every aspect are way off, but she tried on every play, and every minute to overcome or compensate for her physical limitations. Ines had a trial by fire and honestly had more difficult moments than good ones. But she never hung her head, she grit her teeth, plowed on, eased UConn's in bound problems and dealt with the press fairly well. Ayanna still doesn't have a double move inside, and has yet to show any hint of a drop step. But Ayanna played hard, had a (so far) career high 10 points and actually hit two mid range shots. Yeah, Lou as a veteran, should have been more judicious with her defensive play and avoided those fouls. But she played hurt as well and gave all she had, with a stellar 16 points on a measly 7 shots! AE played like a champ, because she is one. Period. Amari still doesn't know how to use her body at either end of the floor, and although she talks a lot in huddles, she still occasionally looks lost on defense. But she finally got some rebounds and was a defensive presence with her rim protection and two blocks.

No, what really encourages me is this teams willingness to fight no matter the score. To fight to recognize each others tendencies on the floor and put aside the fact that they're mostly strangers. This all bodes well down the road when those three AA's on the bench return to the lineup. I think I enjoyed watching them this game more than many of those 30 point blow outs I've seen. When I watch this game again I'm going to watch which of Geno's plays were effective, which weren't, which players had success with those actions, and how long it took to work or fail to with those actions.
Nice analysis but I’d like to stand up for Lou. She came from Fairfield where she might have to play 2 or 3 ranked teams a year, and not within a few week span. Now, she’s unexpectedly become the focus of every opponent’s - ranked opponent’s - defense. And apparently she‘s been playing so hard, her foot is sore and she’s a little gimpy and therefore less mobile. It’s got to be taking a toll.

All the credit in the world to her that she’s become so important to the team in such a short period of time. But folks need to remember that while she’s used to being The Guy at Fairfield, being The Guy at UConn is another universe. I have tremendous respect for what she’s accomplished.

i honestly think she’s just wearing down. Her foot hurts and she’s getting the physical treatment all other stars at UConn get. I’m happy she gets a week to recharge her batteries

Reaction Score
A loss on paper only. The kids played with a lot of heart and spirit. Yeah, too many unforced errors, but they hung in there to the end. Keep Your Head to the Sky", (great song by EW&F) is most appropriate today! Also, sincere condolences to Geno, and his entire family on the loss of his mom.

Reaction Score
Ines might have drove more instead of settling at the top of the key. She needs to see the court more but, with experience with our offence she will be a good quick option with her speed.
Sure, I would have liked to see her drive but I don't think they gave her a chance. They packed the lane and protected the wings because they had no respect for her ability to shoot the 3. She had very few passing lanes and therefore spent the bulk of her time dribbling around on the outside trying to find someone she could get the ball to.

Reaction Score
Actually 4 [starters out]

When a starter is out and the likely replacement for that starter is out, I'm calling it 5. Plus 2 more playing injured. Seven "starting level" layers out or playing injured.

Other than the injured Lou, including all the best/experienced ball handlers. Oh, and except for Edwards, who looked ALSO like a guard out there half the time. Kudos BTW for Caroline, who essentially played some point guard out there a couple of times; not a good game for her but some really good moments, and a real step forward overall.

I for one cried a tear for Maryland when Frese lamented about her team's injuries making it a "both sides" situation.

Reaction Score
Difference was turnovers.
The difference was numbers and subbing. Fresh bodies and the ability to TAKE FOULS. 6 TO's to 1 in the first half. MD was playing wide open--not to foul (Uconn)--Uconn was SWARMED (again, that was predictable after ND/Princeton/short bench.)
Great team WIN for UConn's kids---they won the Experience contest--Ayanna, Ines, DeBerry, Caroline (needed this game), Lou needed this game after ND. Win Win Win.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Nice analysis but I’d like to stand up for Lou. She came from Fairfield where she might have to play 2 or 3 ranked teams a year, and not within a few week span. Now, she’s unexpectedly become the focus of every opponent’s - ranked opponent’s - defense. And apparently she‘s been playing so hard, her foot is sore and she’s a little gimpy and therefore less mobile. It’s got to be taking a toll.

All the credit in the world to her that she’s become so important to the team in such a short period of time. But folks need to remember that while she’s used to being The Guy at Fairfield, being The Guy at UConn is another universe. I have tremendous respect for what she’s accomplished.

i honestly think she’s just wearing down. Her foot hurts and she’s getting the physical treatment all other stars at UConn get. I’m happy she gets a week to recharge her batteries
Sounds about right to me.

Reaction Score
LOL...Brenda Freese just claimed that BOTH teams were handicapped by injuries. Is she serious?? UCONN was down three starters!
She did. But she went on and on about Marylands injuries...That was more about her claim of beating Uconn...Although I would give the game an asterisk win for Maryland.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Kudos to the 7 that played their hearts and butts off. Still can’t believe Dorka still can’t play. One year in high school I played football with a broken finger and two taped together. The following year I played with a broken thumb after three weeks with a splint. She’s been out close to six weeks already.
Probably best not to pretend you know the condition of her thumb or what/how she's feeling.

Congrats on being such a tough guy.

Reaction Score
I am extremely exited for our youngsters going forward. Sure Ines should have shot the ball some but she started a game on the road in hostile territory. Ayanna was active. Amari looked solid too. I also try to stay away from criticizing the refs but I was at the game and that elbow to the neck of poor Ines and they called the foul on her. This week of rest will do the team good and hopefully we get someone back

Reaction Score
Yes, mentioning Paige and Ice is against the rules.
I mean this in the most cordial way, but would someone kindly explain why mentioning Paige and Ice is against the rules. They are in fact injured are they not and can't play. They are among the injured who can't contribute to the team's effort in every game it plays this season.

Reaction Score
Difference was turnovers.
When you're that depleted and that stretched out, you can't be on top of all aspects of the game. You'd like a UConn team to keep the TOs under control, but what was required was so intense that something had to give.

Reaction Score
With 5 players out, 4 starters out, this outcome is not unexpected. Upon played hard and it hurt to have Lou in foul trouble. They missed her scoring ability. For awhile, the big lineup fared well. Nice to see Ayanna show some offense and Amari be a more aggressive on the defensive end.

Overall, the turnovers were a killer. I would imagine this coming week in practice there will be an emphasis on protecting the ball.

A win would have been an unexpected bonus, but this team has no quit in them as the adversity piles on. Hopefully, karma will reverse and everyone will be healthy as tournament time rolls around.
Karma, is something your or your team creates ---they just gave us a yearly amount. When the 4 absent return, the experience gained here by those we erroringly call '"the Bench", Karma shall envelope them.

Reaction Score
Kudos to the kids for the fight! i was afraid UConn will lose by 20-25 points but the came to play. All 7 did some very good things on the court.
Thoughts:
AE was very very very good in this game. Strong, and relentless and MD had no real answer for her.
Lou is a player! playing against top teams makes no difference as she can flat out play! wish she didn' have the foul issues as the game could have turned differently if she could have played more.
Ines needs to develop an outside shot but respect for her playing with no fear at this level with all the responsibility.
CD should not handle the ball. She should be on the receiving end close to the basket or drive to the basket. Unfortunately, when she dribbles or passes, it's an adventure.
Ayanna was good. Strong, physical and showed a nice mid-range shot from the right side.
Amari was actually good in this game. Physical and reliable! want to see more of her!
Aubrey for some reason didn't seem strong in this game...her shots were short...
This team clearly needs more ball handlers (Nika...get well soon!)
Good job by Geno juggling those strange lineups that i/m pretty sure where not tried much in practice.
MD had a great day shooting the 3 but most of it was open shots because UConn was just slow getting to the shooters out of the zone.
A loss is a loss but great experience for some of the players which hopefully will benefit the team later in the season.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Frese should be fired, if not for some terrible decisions we would have won that game. Caroline played well at times and played terrible at other times. Poor poor decision making. We had Lou open a couple of times but she forced it and took a terrible shot or turned it over. She fought hard though. Lou makes weird decisions also and her decision making isn’t the greatest either. Refs were terrible also. Anytime anyone falls, they call a foul. Overall I loved our fight, just a few better decisions and we win which I thought we had no chance. Frese kept making it a point to say how both teams were down players, knowing damn well it isnt the same.
You must be seeing a different Lou?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I mean this in the most cordial way, but would someone kindly explain why mentioning Paige and Ice is against the rules. They are in fact injured are they not and can't play. They are among the injured who can't contribute to the team's effort in every game it plays this season.
I was being a little sarcastic with the rule bit. Before and after the Texas game we were told by posters on this board that UConn missing Paige and Ice was not the same as Texas missing Harmon because the UConn players are lost for the season and Harmon was not lost for the season but only for a few games.

It's okay to mention Dorka, Azzi and Nika.

Reaction Score
But yet, if UCONN had Azzi, Dorka, & Nika, they easily win this game.
Oh yeah even if they have just Nika they easily win I think because of what she brings on the defensive end and as an experienced ball handler on the offensive side. There were a lot of predictions of it being a blow out on the prediction thread, so the fact that they took a top 20 team down to the wire on the road with 7 players 2 of whom average like a combined 4 minutes a game is pretty amazing. Geno coached his butt off today under very difficult circumstances and if anyone needs proof that he's the best ever today was it.

Reaction Score
I especially liked the halftime trio, praising Maryland and giggling all over themselves. Never one mention that by the way, Uconn has 3 starters on the bench and only 7 total players available. The bias against Uconn goes on. But, I thought the girls played a very hard fought battle to the end, they scored with Maryland the second half 42-42.
UConn isn't an ESPN media property anymore, so ESPiN will do whatever it takes to discredit UConn and pumping up their media properties.

I won't be surprised if they were told to not to pump up UConn pregame. Media propaganda in sports is kind of a disgrace, but this is hardly ESPiN's first rodeo.

Reaction Score
and you have your Medical Degree in what specialty??? And have you personally examined Dorka's injury???

SMH
Both Geno and CD have said that Dorka has been cleared to play since before ND. CD actually said the brace she is wearing prevents any further injury, and the decision to not play is solely Dorka's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom