MD Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

MD Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Frese should be fired, if not for some terrible decisions we would have won that game. Caroline played well at times and played terrible at other times. Poor poor decision making. We had Lou open a couple of times but she forced it and took a terrible shot or turned it over. She fought hard though. Lou makes weird decisions also and her decision making isn’t the greatest either. Refs were terrible also. Anytime anyone falls, they call a foul. Overall I loved our fight, just a few better decisions and we win which I thought we had no chance. Frese kept making it a point to say how both teams were down players, knowing damn well it isnt the same.

The 2 players you mentioned are playing through injuries. Both affecting their quickness and overall play. Kudos to them for gutting it out and trying their best. I'm not throwing anyone under the bus in this one.

Reaction Score
Hard to lose when you are +23 on the boards and out-shoot the other team 54% to 42%.
They didn't lose it was a huge win if you count those players that got experiences they would rarely get. Think about MARCH, that is when this game will show the victory it truly was. I loved those kids, Ines, Caroline, Lou, Ayanna, DeBerry, Edwards--hard nosed, determined, they made Nika Proud with the ---never give up attitude. WOW!!

Reaction Score
How many UCONN fans are praying that Maryland is in our bracket for the tournament?? If their coach wants to downplay UCONN'S injuries, let's see how they do against a healthy Husky team.
We're not going to have a fully healthy team this year. Paige and Ice are out for the season.

Reaction Score
How many UCONN fans are praying that Maryland is in our bracket for the tournament?? If their coach wants to downplay UCONN'S injuries, let's see how they do against a healthy Husky team.
Only for the great VICTORY Brenda has against 6 Uconn kids. For Brenda this game was a NOW or NEVER. Wait and see!

Reaction Score
We will never know but felt if Lou didn't get into foul issues and was able to run the team instead of Ines we would have won. Not a perfect ball handler, Lou is taller and makes good decisions. Ines was open many, many times and didn't take the shot-never would happen with Lou. Ines tried had but is a poor passer, often missing open UConn players. She is often slow to the ball with many of Maryland's shooters hitting 3's when Inez didn't get out on them in time. Game was much closer than I thought - gritty effort by every member of the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Rebecca was biting her tongue trying not to sound like a UCONN homer, but she was incredulous about some of the calls in this game.
Officiating is terrible in all sports. Except for MLB umpires and THEIR own strike zone and FB officials not being able to get PI right, none are worse than most BB refs. Home court is not necessarily an advantage which is wrong in itself, but it too often is. Witness today. Blocks and charges seem to be a whim but usually in favor of the home team.

Walking is another that drives me crazy. Invariably if you try to fake while stationary you walk, especially if you're wearing a UCONN jersey home or away yet you can take 3 steps while driving (both teams) and the refs can't see it.

Oh, and that over-and-back call near the end was ridiculous. from my vantage point her only foot on the floor was clearly across the line when she caught the pass.

Reaction Score
Kudos to the 7 that played their hearts and butts off. Still can’t believe Dorka still can’t play. One year in high school I played football with a broken finger and two taped together. The following year I played with a broken thumb after three weeks with a splint. She’s been out close to six weeks already.
and you have your Medical Degree in what specialty??? And have you personally examined Dorka's injury???

SMH

Reaction Score
My daughter pointed this out. In the 3rd period, when LOU got tied up, we had the possession arrow but Maryland got the ball. You could see Geno yelling and miming that UCONN had possession. Unless Lou walked, but that would have been after the tie-up. Any yes, the flopping was ridiculous, as well as Berry getting called for a foul on Edwards. It's difficult enough beating a team when your undermanned; Maryland didn't need the extra help. Anyway, the game didn't carry much meaning and we had a difficult task in front of us. It turned out better than I expected once it was apparent neither Dorka nor Muhl would be playing.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Also, how did they lose? TO's, the inability to get TO's, empty possessions, and UConn's inability to control the arc. 22 TO's coupled with MD"s 31 three point attempts and 6 TO's meant a lot of shots for MD. Can't wait to see these guys down the road.

Reaction Score
Those guys really played tough. Aaliyah as others have said played at an AA level. No question in my mind if Nika was playing this would have been a blowout. There would have been more pressure on their guards, reduced turnovers, transition feeds to runners to the basket and general better flow. Brenda was lucky she got us at our most depleted this season. As it was her celebration at the end was in no way guaranteed. Kudos to our seven guys on a hard fought game - they put themselves in a position to win.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I am not too upset with this loss...these women competed in a hostile environment. Maryland / Brenda earned and I mean earned their first win against UConn. Would I love to play this team with a full compliment of players? Sure! However, got to keep in mind that Maryland had three post players on the bench with injuries.

What did I see that we can hang our hats on?

~UConn had five players in double digits
~Aliyah was a beast in the middle
~Even though UConn's best playmaker was on the bench...UConn had 21 assists on 31 made field goals
~Maryland had 11 more shots at the basket than UConn had, they made 12 threes to UConn's 3 and UConn closed to 2 points in the middle of the 4th.
~UConn had 22 turnovers to Marylands 6...a huge disparity and a tough stat to overcome
~UConn out rebounded Maryland 46 to 24
~Caroline while still not playing up to form had 13 points
~Aubrey's double / double of 12 points and 15 rebounds was impressive...especially given that Maryland went to the zone and made Aubrey's dribble penetration difficult...additionally without a serious 3 point threat we were unable to draw Maryland's defense out to open the middle.for her.
~Patterson continues to make incremental improvements...10 points and 4 rebounds is just a glimpse of what this kid will eventually be.
~Bettencourt looked like a different player today than she looked at the ND game. Gone was the "deer in the headlights" look she had during the ND game.
~UConn's defense held Diamond Miller to 4 of 13 from the floor...
~DeBerry had two monster blocks...she also had 3 assists and 4 rebounds in very limited minutes...had she made the three pointer that rattled around the rim she would have filled up the stat sheet.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Kudos to the 7 that played their hearts and butts off. Still can’t believe Dorka still can’t play. One year in high school I played football with a broken finger and two taped together. The following year I played with a broken thumb after three weeks with a splint. She’s been out close to six weeks already.
You can buddy splint fingers together, however when it's a broken thumb, that's a whole different ballgame. Less stability in your grip, and nothing to splint it to to give it support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom