May recruiting thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

May recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ten prospects selected would be: Mikaylah Williams/ Mavs Elite (SG), Judea Watkins/ Cal Swish (SG), Ciera Toomey/ NEPA Elite (PF), Breya Cunningham/ Cal Stars (C), Ashlynn Shade/ IN Gym Rats (PG), Madison Booker/ AL Southern Starz (PF), Milaysia Fulwiley/ FBC (PG/SG), Kamorea Arnold/ Midwest Elite (PG), Taliah Scott/ FGB (SG), and Jadyn Donovan/ Team Takeover (SF).

Shade & Arnold are the top 2 pg's in the class according to WER. :)

Reaction Score
Thanks.

Unprofessional and inappropriate. Embarrass the young woman in front of the whole world? You just don't do that.
Do we know is Mimi was embarrassed or assuming?

Reaction Score

The way too early 2023 MacDonalds AA's.

View attachment 76410 View attachment 76410
MacDonalds? Is the higher ranking than McDonalds? Asking for a friend.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Being "old school" does not entitle you to create your own definitions. You are also confusing post move with post player. The former can be executed by any player on the floor. The latter, like all position definitions, is based on primary skill set. Just because you have a PG that can execute a post move that does not make your PG a post player. In their entire time at UCONN Liv, Azura and Dorka never played other than the PF (4) and C (5) positions, which are both POST positions. I don't think Dorka is suddenly going to become a wing player or guard for UCONN next season.

Again I don't care about Holmes or Cunnane do in the WNBA. You categorically stated that you can't see Dorka guarding the other teams post player. Well clearly you were paying enough attention because not only has Dorka done it she has done it pretty well.
Which brings up another teaching point which should have been aided you greatly. Post players usually guard other post players-that too is a skill set thing.

"A post player in most cases are the larger players on the team, typically the power forward and center positions."

Thanks Coco. I enjoyed reading your attachment.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Absolutely I complained about Liv's failure to utilize her athleticism to its fullest by varying her abilities in the post and investing time in her footwork. Simple things like having a left foot drop step, utilizing her right hand, bringing the ball down below her waist before shooting, and relying too much on her fadeaway jumper.

Players such as Boston demonstrated this good stuff and none of the bad stuff at the U16's. Being right handed, laying the ball up with her right hand and utilizing a left foot drop step should have been the first move she learned as a peewee. Liv went the better part of two years never showing a left leg drop step. But at the beginning of her senior year I said on The BY that I would no longer criticize her lack of variety around the hoop. Mostly because I failed to see the benefit of crying about it, and partially because at that point, well, what is, is; what ain't, ain't. The truth is the offensive player that Liv was in her 4th year was the player she should have been as a freshman. She finally demonstrated a left leg drop consistently, she showed much better footwork around the basket, and she resorted to the fadeaway far less frequently. Liv also became a far better shooter from the stripe and with her FT's. She still brought the ball below her waist on every layup though, and she never showed the head and shoulder fakes that are required to excel at the college level.

Indeed, Dorka came to UConn with far better footwork, far better head and shoulder movement, and was much smoother around the cup. But Dorka also loves to drop that right leg too much, and consistently missed layups when she went over her left shoulder. Dorka also puts the ball on the floor too much when she sets down low. Dorka however didn't have to contend with as much weak side help as Liv did because Geno had her play with either Liv or AE. Both of whom ususally played under the basket when Dorka was on the court. Dorka also didn't have to play the trigger in that elbow triangle Geno likes. Geno didn't have her play with her back to the basket because he Geno wanted to take advantage of her proclivity to shoot from the arc on the left side. Dorka though is much smoother going over her right or left shoulder. With Liv now gone Dorka is going to play that trigger, is going to see much more work on the block, and is going to receive the ball as the pistol in Geno's chin movement. Dorka's going to have to make that good pass on Geno's plays such as the 45. Hopefully Dorka improves from the charity stripe because last year instead of finishing over her nose she finished her FT's over her right ear. Custom made for an inconsistent FT shot. Dorka also needs to hit the weight room like a fiend. She's going to need to put the ball on the rim with more consistency through traffic. In other words, she's going to have a lot more responsibility at the nail than she's ever had in her college career, and a bit of off season work to continue to move to another level of play. Now, Ice is tailor made to do all of these things, but she is a freshman, and I expect Dorka to get the lion's share of minutes next year.
Excellent post JordyG. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Regarding all the bolded areas about ONO, I agree. I can't understand how this lack of development on offense was allowed to continue for 3+ years by both the staff and the player. Possibly because she was his only true big at 6-5 and represented about 80% of his interior defense, I don't know.
About Juhasz, she's 6-5 and tries to play offense like she's 6-2 because no one has taught her post moves and how to utilize and take advantage of her size inside. And that won't change over the next 6 months, partially because of her injury. I don't know how GA plans to use her on offense but I do know that coaches aren't going to bother to guard her at the 3 line. 30% won't scare them. With her shooting and passing skills, if she picks up the pace of the offense fairly quickly, I believe Brady will become his primary high post option.
I wonder if Geno would consider bringing in a retired coach or player that could teach our post players the nuances of the position on a continuous basis. I agree that Liv failed to improve her offensive skills in the paint during her first 3 years.

It was frustrating to see Liv at the start of a new year using the same offensive moves from the year before. She refused to abandon the fly-swat technique in blocking shots instead of going straight up and not filling if you don't get the block or deflection.

It probably won't happen but I’d like to see Geno bring an a “BIG MAN” coach part-time to work with DeBerry and Brady. Let Juhasz play her natural position and not force/ask her to play out of position. They both have an abundance of potential inside of them. They just need the right coach to bring it out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if Geno would consider bringing in a retired coach or player that could teach our post players the nuances of the position on a continuous basis. I agree that Liv failed to improve her offensive skills in the paint during her first 3 years.

It was frustrating to see Liv at the start of a new year using the same offensive moves from the year before. She refused to abandon the fly-swat technique in blocking shots instead of going straight up and not filling if you don't get the block or deflection.

It probably won't happen but I’d like to see Geno bring an a “BIG MAN” coach part-time to work with DeBerry and Brady. Let Juhasz play her natural position and not force/ask her to play out of position. They both have an abundance of potential inside of them. They just need the right coach to bring it out.

Sounds like you are describing Jamelle.

Reaction Score
Neither do I. That's why I was questioning that poster's comment.
No she has not deleted or officially removed UCONN but its a stretch overall the consensus around her camp is she's going to end up in the SEC most likely.

Reaction Score

I don't know why not. With the network he has access to, he could have been doing this for years. And it wouldn't need to be a big time commitment from anyone. For instance, a one day clinic with B. Stewart on jump hooks and turnarounds with either hand would be eye opening for those post players. With the level of athletes UConn gets and assuming they would have the desire to really improve their game, a day or two of intense instruction and introduction of a few drills for reps would set them up for doing the work on their own and/or with a teammate. And to answer the obvious first question, if that skill instruction was already available the results would be showing. The teaching of basic fundamental footwork and positioning is already being done but the individual shotmaking and variety of moves is where the work and progress is needed.

Reaction Score
I love that video of Arnold and Williams. It definitely looks like Sue and Dee!

Notice the height difference! If Williams is 6'0" as advertised, KK looks about 5'10".
OK how tall is Geno?

1652721141440.png

Reaction Score
I don't know why not. With the network he has access to, he could have been doing this for years. And it wouldn't need to be a big time commitment from anyone. For instance, a one day clinic with B. Stewart on jump hooks and turnarounds with either hand would be eye opening for those post players. With the level of athletes UConn gets and assuming they would have the desire to really improve their game, a day or two of intense instruction and introduction of a few drills for reps would set them up for doing the work on their own and/or with a teammate. And to answer the obvious first question, if that skill instruction was already available the results would be showing. The teaching of basic fundamental footwork and positioning is already being done but the individual shotmaking and variety of moves is where the work and progress is needed.
Prior to Liv, haven't they been showing? Maybe it was Liv????

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don't know why not. With the network he has access to, he could have been doing this for years. And it wouldn't need to be a big time commitment from anyone. For instance, a one day clinic with B. Stewart on jump hooks and turnarounds with either hand would be eye opening for those post players. With the level of athletes UConn gets and assuming they would have the desire to really improve their game, a day or two of intense instruction and introduction of a few drills for reps would set them up for doing the work on their own and/or with a teammate. And to answer the obvious first question, if that skill instruction was already available the results would be showing. The teaching of basic fundamental footwork and positioning is already being done but the individual shot making and variety of moves is where the work and progress is needed.
Preach Brother Bobby! A thousand likes to you sir!! :D If this were done THIS summer, I think we would see IMMEDIATE results. I think DeBerry and Brady are capable of doing some real good things under Geno's watch. With some one-on-one coaching and mentoring, they can become outstanding post players. No doubt that's why they choose to come to UConn. They want to be coached hard, and coached by the best!! I know there are some former UConn WBB post players that would gladly accept a paid invitation from Geno to work with our post players and teach them "the basics" during the summer and then once or twice a month during the season. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Prior to Liv, haven't they been showing? Maybe it was Liv????
The "results showing" I'm referring to is the year to year refinement of a creative and efficient variety of post moves and shots and improving their understanding of how to use their body shielding and arm extension with a high release point to quickly beat the defense without hesitating or excessively putting the ball on the floor without knowing where the defense is. The best, most recent 6-2+ inside threats I think of are Tuck, Collier, and Stewart and they all had something in common. As freshmen they all had been previously taught a good base of these skills and then continued to refine them through trial and error all through their college career. The results helped make them all AA's. Liv, like many kids across all programs didn't have that base. Juhasz and Edwards didn't either. If I as a coach were able to bring in a big, athletic kid who was willing to work hard and learn but didn't already have that base to build on, the first thing I'm going to do is find a way to give them that base by getting them the best instruction I can. If I or my staff can do that, great. If not, I'll find it. That's the on going results/improvement I'm not seeing. I'm very hopeful for Brady because she's the first kid since Collier that I've seen coming in who has that skill base. And she was developing it as early as a HS sophomore.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Just curious, talk about coaching Stewie and others into being AA where did that coach go? I thought when Shea was here, she was the guard coach, and that CD was the center or bigs coach. If so why all of a sudden are we lacking a 4-5 coach who knows what they are doing. Is it possible that Geno & co. got all they could out of Liv and some of the others? I'm not against doing whatever it takes to improve our players, remembering that in days past there was at least one big mans camp that worked with the 5's. Is there still such a camp and would we be in any violation in sending our kids to it.

Reaction Score
The "results showing" I'm referring to is the year to year refinement of a creative and efficient variety of post moves and shots and improving their understanding of how to use their body shielding and arm extension with a high release point to quickly beat the defense without hesitating or excessively putting the ball on the floor without knowing where the defense is. The best, most recent 6-2+ inside threats I think of are Tuck, Collier, and Stewart and they all had something in common. As freshmen they all had been previously taught a good base of these skills and then continued to refine them through trial and error all through their college career. The results helped make them all AA's. Liv, like many kids across all programs didn't have that base. Juhasz and Edwards didn't either. If I as a coach were able to bring in a big, athletic kid who was willing to work hard and learn but didn't already have that base to build on, the first thing I'm going to do is find a way to give them that base by getting them the best instruction I can. If I or my staff can do that, great. If not, I'll find it. That's the on going results/improvement I'm not seeing. I'm very hopeful for Brady because she's the first kid since Collier that I've seen coming in who has that skill base. And she was developing it as early as a HS sophomore.
But how do you know that he didn't give instruction and the player just never capitalized? And is Liv really in the WNBA at the moment but hasn’t learned any post moves? So, if she in the WNBA how is it that she didn't improve? How can she possibly be in the WNBA if she didn't improve a ton?

And when do you know the player you are giving instruction to, just isn't going to produce in the manner you want? Or maybe Geno worked on other parts of her game that you wouldn't have worked with her as much on?

And to add to that, didn’t Geno say once during or shortly after Charde that he said as a coach he used to believe he could transform anyone, but he used Charde as an example that he realized he can’t. Do you agree with that?

My point is, we can talk tough on here about how to be the perfect coach and perfect player, but at what point can we acknowledge that the player you are working with, just doesn’t have those kind of instincts?

And a coach also is evaluated as to if he plays to his team’s strengths. Any coach that doesn’t have a philosophy of coaching to his team’s strengths will only have 5 minutes of fame then fade away. So, Liv had to also be coached on having her strengths improve a ton too,. All this takes time too. Just because she comes to UCONN means she will learn exactly perfectly as Geno has instructed?

And as we know some on here take digs at Geno for being a tough grind it out coach who is too tough on his players. But now he is too lax for not grinding his low posts to be terrific inside low post players? Which is it with Geno; too tough or too lax? To further that, if he is this “brutal grind coach” which some exaggerate that he is, and the player isn’t doing what he says, then wouldn’t it follow that Geno should be benching that player because they aren’t taking the instruction in practice and apply it to the game? Well that’s no good either; Because now you are going to bench the player and they will end up leaving because of the coach being too tough, or they aren’t getting enough minutes.

How about a much simpler answer? That Liv was never going to be much of a low post player and is a lot like Stokes. And we heard how Laimbeer was going to turn her into a post scorer and she wound up being just what Geno had her be at UCONN.

Reaction Score
How about a much simpler answer? That Liv was never going to be much of a low post player and is a lot like Stokes. And we heard how Laimbeer was going to turn her into a post scorer and she wound up being just what Geno had her be at UCONN.

Stokes was a block of granite in the paint. ONO was silly putty. Sorry ONO but you were.

Edit: Stokes lack of offense was why she didn't start. Her shot blocking, rebounding and paint defense was the best on the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger